ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Discorz » 24 Dec 2022, 06:53

xenphor wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 22:26
Is crosstalk free strobing easier to achieve on an OLED since they have instantaneous pixel response? I'm tempted to buy an XG2431 since I've become more sensitive to persistence blur, especially at 60hz (which comprises the majority of games). However, since I already have an Alienware AW2521H, I would like to make my next monitor an OLED to make use of newer tech like HDR and such.
Yes, OLEDs are crosstalk free over whole panel but not only because of fast response. LCDs have a backlight so they work a bit different. On LCDs crosstalk is caused by:
1. Scan-out vs backlight interference
2. Pixel response

Due to nature of displays updating the frames from top to bottom image gets skewed (for preview check testufo.com/scanskew and use 60Hz to amplify effect) and unlike OLEDs most LCDs have a backlight which only does instant off/on periods to reduce blur. Black periods do not follow the frame scan-out like on OLED therefore are not in sync. So this instant backlight vs non-instant scan-out interference is what we call strobe crosstalk. On top of this if pixel response is slow u get faded or extended crosstalk (more crosstalk). Display can end up showing multiple frames. https://www.limscave.com/media/limscave ... sstalk.jpg

Notice fixed backlight off/on periods and variable transition position caused by scan-out:
Strobe Crosstalk APNG.png
Strobe Crosstalk APNG.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4975 times
Image Image
Source: https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/ ... -Crosstalk

Btw AW2521H can strobe at 60Hz with a simple trick - viewtopic.php?p=82006#p82006
xenphor wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 22:26
What would a Blur Busters approved OLED monitor be like? Would it be less hassle to achieve a cross talk free image? Would it make it easier to have VRR+BFI working without artifacts? Would having HDR help to alleviate any brightness issues? Or does OLED not make much of a difference for strobing tech? How does the strobing on the XG2431 compare to the strobing on LG OLEDs?
At low refresh rates XG should be very similar to OLEDs, in some areas even better. At high refresh rates its not as crosstalk free.

VRR+BFI on OLEDs currently doesn't exist.

EDIT: added animated images!
Last edited by Discorz on 27 Dec 2022, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

xenphor

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by xenphor » 24 Dec 2022, 20:22

Discorz wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 06:53

At low refresh rates XG should be very similar to OLEDs, in some areas even better. At high refresh rates its not as crosstalk free.

VRR+BFI on OLEDs currently doesn't exist.
Alright. I didn't know about the AW2521H supporting 60hz strobing. I tried it out and it does help quite a bit in games like Bit.trip Runner, although there is noticeable ghosting. I'm not sure how long I could realistically use it for without getting a headache. It's a shame that there's no solid solution for playing 60hz games that doesn't involve eye strain, either from a CRT or strobing.

edit: Off-topic but I didn't realize the AW2521H had a fan until I read that post. Now I'm worried about it rattling in the future.

Boop

Post by Boop » 11 Jan 2023, 19:50

Just a heads up for anyone purchasing this monitor. If you have to RMA it, ViewSonic will not pay for shipping and you must provide a box to ship it.

Mine is running into the same issue as this other person on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... 431_issue/

Seems like the same problem is happening to quite a few people in that thread.
Customer is responsible for all shipping cost to ViewSonic (No reimbursement)
ViewSonic is responsible for all shipping cost from ViewSonic to customer
ViewSonic is not responsible for shipping damages caused by customer’s carrier in transit to ViewSonic
All used packaging material will be disposed of upon receipt

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 25 Jan 2023, 03:05

Chief,

Is there some setting or trick you can use on this monitor to prevent image retention when viewing alternating frame content? (example to illustrate point: Retroarch has a software black frame insertion mode. If you set the monitor to 120hz and enable software bfi, the screen is being fed one real frame and then one black frame, perfectly in sequence with zero deviations, resulting in image retention on screen at any point where content doesn't change or changes infrequently, like hud items)

The reason I ask is using CRU and Nvtimingsed, I've successfully found a near zero crosstalk way to use this monitor as a 3d vision monitor. The only problem is the constantly alternating left / right perspective frames being sent to the monitor cause the image retention issues I'd described above.

If there's a way to defeat this problem, this would be a true candidate for best 3d vision monitor.

(I don't believe there's any way to force 3d vision to function on a cadence other than a:b frame switching, I already know that for retroarch specifically you can set to 180hz to play 60hz games with software bfi and zero image retention on most displays)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jan 2023, 22:53

GammaLyrae wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 03:05
If there's a way to defeat this problem, this would be a true candidate for best 3d vision monitor.
When the world went away from 3D LCDs (which used a different multi-cycle inversion logic), LCDs went back to 2-cycle inversion which isn't frame sequential friendly for image retention.

It's a nasty interaction between most desktop LCD panels, 2-frame software-based BFI, and the panel's voltage inversion electronics. Each refresh cycle has subpixels at opposite voltage polarity (+/-) so BFI in sync with that, creates a static electricity build up as visible images get one voltage polarity and black frames gets opposite voltage polarity. D'oh.

3D-compatible panels used different inversion sequences that was immune, but the vendors jettisoned that when official 3D capability was removed.

Adding a random extra frame-repeat and a longer shutter for one eye once every 30 seconds, would also do the trick too -- but that would create an annoying flicker as the cadence swapped to opposite voltage inversion polarities (to prevent the image retention effect). But this may be the best compromise, you could get by with a 5 minute rotating sequence, then a 5-minute cooldown for the image retention to disappear after you exited a 3D Vision game. Image retention after 5 minutes is never permanent since the next 5 minutes of phase-switch will easily erase that. Modifying the 3D glasses shutter software and the frame sequential software to do a dummy extra refresh cycle for the same eye (2 consecutive refreshes for left eye, once every 5 minutes, with the left shutter glasses shutter staying open longer for the full consecutive 2 refresh cycles), may be practical with certain kinds of compatible 3D emitters and modifiable software.

TestUFO at www.testufo.com/flicker automatically adds 1 extra duplicate refresh cycle every ~20 seconds, to prevent image retention during that specific TestUFO test. But you can get by with 1 or 5 or 10 minutes, as long as you've got roughly an equally-long cooldown period afterwards.

There isn't currently an easy fix for software BFI based or frame-sequential-derived image retention behaviors, whether you're using a TN LCD or IPS LCD.

BTW, upcoming 240Hz OLEDs with 120Hz BFI may also make excellent 3D Vision panels. The missing piece of puzzle is a black refresh cycle between fast 1/240sec scanned-out frames. To keep on topic on ViewSonic in this thread ViewSonic is coming out with 240Hz OLED as are other vendors too, and you can use SpecialK to add BFI to your game. Though I hope eventually an open source windows indirect display driver also comes out with Windows-wide BFI too. With some modifications, it might work reasonably well for 3D Vision, it just needs to do 120 black frame insertions per second at 240Hz, since you need the black refresh cycle as guard interval during shutter glasses eye switch. Any 240Hz display in theory, becomes a good 3D Vision display this way via the software BFI trick, in theory
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

roro13200

Post by roro13200 » 09 Feb 2023, 16:33

hello I just received this monitor, I don't really understand, there are several pure xp profiles, you have to choose according to the refresh rate??

Vorsic

Post by Vorsic » 10 Feb 2023, 08:04

roro13200 wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 16:33
hello I just received this monitor, I don't really understand, there are several pure xp profiles, you have to choose according to the refresh rate??
The higher the level of motion blur reduction, the darker the screen. You can choose how clear you want it vs how bright you want the display.

roro13200

Post by roro13200 » 10 Feb 2023, 12:29

I started to familiarize myself with the monitor, it's a jewel
I created a qft 60hz mode from 240hz

if anyone has settings for strobe utility I'm a taker

roro13200

Post by roro13200 » 10 Feb 2023, 20:05

hello i have a question for you chief .
I have the xg2431 and mainly play fighting games locked at 60 fps, I don't play with gsync because it doesn't work with some versus fighting games.

what setting do you recommend with this monitor?

I tried a qft 60hz mode, but with vsync there is still latency, with vsync off there is tearing and rtss does not work (blocked by the game)

for qft maybe it's me who configured something wrong?

for pure xp, if I play at 144hz but display 60fps, what can I do to improve the rendering?

THANKS

Rivals325

Post by Rivals325 » 14 Feb 2023, 12:46

Hello everyone. Long time reader first time posting. After months of waiting this monitor is finaly available in Romania and I just received it today. Would anyone mind sharing what would be the best settings I can apply so I could get the most out of it ? I mainly play Apex and sometimes warzone. I also tried to import the profile calibration from rtings but nothing changes when I install it. Meaning RGB and everything is the same as default. How do I do it ? Thanks !!