ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2021, 18:14

Roadsign1993 wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 15:37
i think you got me wrong i was talking about an us porxy shipping company, so they buy the monitor for me and send it to me (i am located in germany)
Oh! Proxy around here defacto means "proxy servers" -- in technology parlance.
So it might've been a language assumption;

As for proxy shipping, I can't give advice on that -- there are many mail proxy services, but parcel forwarders are a whole other ball of wax. I'll let others chime in.

For now, you may wish to wait a few weeks to see what ViewSonic does about the Europe market (unless you're super-anxious and money is no object, and willing to personally take upon warranty/shipping risks, and easily can afford a 2nd unit shipped as a DIY replace warranty/shipping damage)...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AM_acc1q

ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by AM_acc1q » 27 Jul 2021, 18:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 15:11
For the 72 hour break-in:

Video or gaming or surfing whatever. Keep the screen busy continuously. Get the monitor as warm as safely possible, nonstop. This shakes out all the temporary issues as much as possible, while also verifying warranty fails earlier than later.

Also, you want to exercise the pixels anyway for other reasons (early "new" dead pixels usually happen early after arrival, so exercising the monitor panel early ensures you "shake hidden warranty defects out of the tree" as early as possible, since more than half of warranty problems of nearly all products of all vendors happens during the first days or weeks of ownership)

You can just use the computer normally during the break in, just prevent the monitor from turning off. Just keep your computer on 24/7 for three days without a sleep-blackout. If you use a screensaver, use a very lively screensaver of some kind, otherwise, just run a 16:9 video loop.
I didn't know that was a thing! Windows 10 "bubbles" screensaver probably works but a video should be easier (I can use my second monitor while it breaks in)...any video recommendations?

I'll wait to get it from Amazon so you get a commission; that's the least I can do for all of your input on this thread. It's unfortunate that Amazon seems to keep cutting the affiliate commission percentage.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2021, 19:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:59
What I believe may happen is that ViewSonic XG2431 will be hitting certain Amazon Europe stores in a lagged fashion (after USA), and other international-shipping stores. This gives Europe access to ViewSonic XG2431. However, I do not know which stores will get them, and I can't guarantee it. Still waiting to hear more information.

But if you want the monitor, XG2431 IS IN STOCK on Amazon!
AM_acc1q wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 18:51
Amazon seems to keep cutting the affiliate commission percentage.
If you want; it's up to you. As a fair disclosure, for a $350 product, it's only an $8.75 commission (2.5%) to Blur Busters. Fortunately, Amazon did not cut commissions for gaming monitors during this pandemic -- although they had already cut commissions many years ago.

Waiting to pay Blur Busters something similar (or more!) via the upcoming Blur Busters Patreon instead is also fine with me too -- as an alternative -- I'm going to launch the Blur Busters Patreon by end of year with the "all advertisements removed" perk.

Oh, and ViewSonic Twitter just announced!
twitter.com/ViewSonicGaming/status/1420172151911555073
viewsonic-xg2431-tweet.png
viewsonic-xg2431-tweet.png (400.16 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GammaLyrae

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by GammaLyrae » 27 Jul 2021, 19:20

Well, it arrived. I'm still at work. I'll unbox it tonight.

Really took a leap of faith on this one, ordering it before any pro reviews are out, and a second leap by ordering from viewsonic directly (instead of a provider like Amazon or Newegg which may offer a more generous return policy in case or defects)

The two big things I'm hoping for are to find a nice sweet spot in the overdrive tuning that provides adequate performance across the entire refresh range, and that the contrast ratio is on the upper end of IPS performance (1000:1) instead of lower end (600-800:1)

Of course the backlight strobing will be super important, but with the utility available Soon(tm) I expect I'll be able to tune it to my liking if I don't like the out of the box performance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2021, 19:38

GammaLyrae wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 19:20
Well, it arrived. I'm still at work. I'll unbox it tonight.
You're first!

I'll release the Strobe Utility Page tonight so users can download it!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2021, 22:17

ViewSonic Strobe Utility is Released!

Blur Busters Strobe Utility Download
for Now-Shipping ViewSonic XG2431 240Hz 23.8″ IPS Monitor

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 28 Jul 2021, 01:42

Pretty happy with it so far. First thing I tested was 60hz PureXP+, and picked the best real world, fast motion game I have access to, Sonic Mania on Switch

Ultra is tuned very nicely out of the box for my tastes. It feels plenty bright for my needs (I am used to tuning for a dark room to optimize HDR experiences on an OLED, and keep these kinds of settings even for PC use, so your mileage may vary). I did not detect any corona effects in real world content. Some colors respond a little slower than others, so as one example, while the screen was largely smooth from top to bottom, certain items like Rings could appear with a duplicated image effect given enough speed. I would say the effect was fairly minimal, and a clear double image to me is preferable to a tuning that introduces corona effects (I personally find those very distracting)

I don't have tools to measure contrast, but having come fresh out of the XG270, the contrast seems to be in the same ballpark range. RTings measured the XG270 as having 1058:1 contrast ratio, which is in the upper end of average for an IPS display. I feel the XG2431 exists somewhere near that same contrast.

I shifted through the following refresh rates: 60hz, 120hz, 144hz, and even 240hz with PureXP+ enabled. 60, 120, and 144hz in the UFO test appear to exhibit similar levels of performance, which I think is a fine achievement. Between the XG270 and the XG2431, I believe the XG2431 does 240hz better and this will likely result in a higher score from a website like RTings which prioritizes performance at the highest refresh rate. This is a difficult refresh rate to fix a game to (you really need a top of the line PC or to be playing simple esports-like titles), so I'm not sure exactly how useful a 240hz strobing mode will be to me personally, but I am glad it is there for people with more performant PCs / people that play older or lower spec games. Overall, I feel the PureXP+ tuning is much better out of the box and works more like how I expected it to, so big props to the Chief for really nailing this. I am happy enough with it that I don't feel like I need to try tuning it myself. I think it's still important to have support for an app like the strobing utility that was just published and should definitely remain a requirement for any potential future versions of the Blur Busters approval program.

Next I turned off PureXP+ and booted up Guild Wars 2. This is a difficult game to run at a consistent frame rate and sees FPS ranging between 40 and 140 for me typically. This seemed like as good of a candidate as any to see how VRR performs especially in the lower end range. I set the response time to 'Advanced'

I'd say motion isn't quite as crisp as I experienced on the XG270 at low frame rates (40-60fps), but a pleasant surprise is that "Advanced" response time appears to be adequate for the entire refresh rate range. This does likely mean some response time is left on the table, but my sensitivity to corona effects tends to make me prefer something that is more set and forget, even if something is slightly blurrier than it otherwise could be.

Default color settings out of the box appeared adequate. I am generally more forgiving of color accuracy in gaming oriented displays. Others may find they need to at least set the color profile to custom and adjust the R/G/B levels to their own taste. If you have a habit of calibrating your monitor professionally, this display isn't magical and will probably need more fine tuning if you want to use it for more professional tasks like photo or video editing.

Overall, even once the honeymoon phase passes, I think this is a fine monitor, especially for the price. If I had any criticisms for it, it'd be that the buttons to control the menu are far less intuitive to use than the joystick style control the XG270 had. If any one monitor could have a dedicated app to adjust display settings, this is one that would benefit strongly from it. I launched the Elite Display Controller (which I still had installed since I just swapped monitors out), hoping it would work, knowing that it probably wouldn't - and it didn't.

tl;dr I think an apt summary of this model is it's as good as the XG270, even better in some ways, and brings higher quality PureXP+ modes to every refresh rate - including the coveted 60hz mode. The buttons to navigate the menu are not great, but this isn't uncommon in the arguably lower priced sector of monitors. Still disappointing if you came from a more premium model (The Viewsonic XG270 or ASUS PG279Q come to mind), but not unusable.
Last edited by GammaLyrae on 28 Jul 2021, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.

Axaion

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by Axaion » 28 Jul 2021, 01:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:46
Axaion wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 07:24
AM_acc1q wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 00:48
SixelAlexiS wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 12:19
Well, ViewSonic Gaming twitter account just confirmed me that this monitor isn't going to be released in Europe... what a giant and disappointing waste of time waiting for this
There's a little something called international shipping.
Yeah, let me just do that with the extra cost having to mail a few back and forth to get a good sample without insane blb or ips glow

I did that with 6 pg259qn's and 2 pg259qnr's all had massive glow and too much blb.
IMPORTANT Public service announcement for IPS Glow:

To help companies save money, please don't forget to do the 72+ hour nonstop zero-screensaver full-brightness break in for new LCD displays. Redistribution of the liquid crystals in the glass sandwich is needed to get the IPS glow to final levels. While BLB does not change, IPS glow slightly changes with monitor break-in because shipping positions and pressure spots of packaging or weight of the monitor stand -- like a finger-on-steriods pressing against monitor for hours -- can cause weird splotchiness or amplified edge/corner gradients that will fade over time.

If there's still problems after, then by all means RMA, but please break-in your monitor to ascertain whether a specific odd-shaped IPS glow pattern is permanent or temporary. Most picky people can greatly reduce the number of RMA cycles this way.

Thank you for helping save money, the environment, and a few trees too. ;)
Ive done that for ages, pretty sure ive said so on the monitor discord too
generally i wait a day or two with unboxing, then put on a fullscreen movie on loop for 3+ days on full brightness before i even look at it properly.
and yes, all those pg259qnX's had the same damn flaw, absolutely mindblowinly bad quality control (or good, if they made sure to get me the shit ones lmao)

On topic, such a shame viewsonic is refusing to give straight answers.

elexor

Post by elexor » 28 Jul 2021, 02:21

GammaLyrae wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 01:42
If you want really low crosstalk 60hz I would suggest creating a custom 60hz mode in windows that can actually take advantage of the panels max scanout speed. Mark has made guides on how to do this.

Big difference in strobe performance between native 60hz and 60hz with an accelerated scanout.

Sonic mania on the pc should be extremely clean with the right setup.

Hjaldrgud

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by Hjaldrgud » 28 Jul 2021, 08:31

Roadsign1993 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 15:01
a few days ago i mailed viewsonic germany, and asked if there is any release date for the xg2431 .. and today i got a mail from Georg Larysch - Account Manager, TD ambassador he told me the display is expected q2 2022 ... i am not sure if they are misinformed, or if the monitor is delayed again, if needed i can post a screenshot of the mail (keep in mind i mailed viewsonic germany, and the answer was very short and pretty much only "the display is ecpected for 2022 q2.") guess i will look into the 360/390hz alternatives
lol, at this point this actually seems feasable that we won't see it in Europe before next year.