ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2021, 19:23

youmirinbrah wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 05:15
Well, I want to use the monitor at 240hz for competitive games like valorant with the lowest response time but would also like to use the backlight strobing to help see enemies clearer. Is there a recommended setting to use on the strobe utility program to achieve a low response time on 240hz with purexp enabled?
Easy Answer: The easy best one-size-fits-all 240Hz setting is already factory pre-programmed. Use PureXP Ultra, Extreme, Normal or Light as you prefer. Bright enough you can see things, but dim enough to allow clearest motion.

Advanced Answer: Strobe Utility Overdrive settings depends on panel lottery and panel temperature. Break-in your monitor for a few days, make sure it's warmed up, THEN re-tune your monitor to Strobe Utility as instructed at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

It's the same problem as a colorimeter. Panels vary slightly from one unit to another (sometimes imperceptibly so), so calibration can be panel-specimen unique. The color curves for one specimen may need to be tweaked slightly for a different specimen. Likewise, the perfect Overdrive Gain setting may vary from unit to unit.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

youmirinbrah

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by youmirinbrah » 11 Dec 2021, 08:41

Seems like I'll use the factory pre-programmed settings then. I've also heard that this monitor has the fastest pixel response time for IPS monitors. Does anyone know the average g2g response time for the fastest response time setting and is it worth using since it has overshoot? Like is it noticeable in game?

youmirinbrah

Post by youmirinbrah » 11 Dec 2021, 09:56

Also, my xg2431 just arrived and i hooked it up to my laptop via hdmi and im able to run 240hz??? Since when does hdmi support 240hz. Im still waiting on my other pc parts.

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 11 Dec 2021, 11:48

youmirinbrah wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 09:56
Also, my xg2431 just arrived and i hooked it up to my laptop via hdmi and im able to run 240hz??? Since when does hdmi support 240hz. Im still waiting on my other pc parts.
HDMI does 240hz these days. It just depends on which version HDMI. But the latest stuff does. Some monitor manufacturers for a while for actually only including HDMI cables with their 240hz gaming monitors. I never thought that made sense because DP is just better but... yeah.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2021, 12:20

youmirinbrah wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 09:56
masterblaster wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 11:48
HDMI does 240hz these days. It just depends on which version HDMI. But the latest stuff does. Some monitor manufacturers for a while for actually only including HDMI cables with their 240hz gaming monitors. I never thought that made sense because DP is just better but... yeah.
Newer revisions can be better than older revisions of DisplayPort, so don't worry if you're doing esports over HDMI on the XG2431.

Both HDMI and DP on the XG2431 is 100% esports ready and low-lag.

All ports on this monitor are good game!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2021, 12:24

masterblaster wrote:
hDMI does 240hz these days. It just depends on which version HDMI. But the latest stuff does. Some monitor manufacturers for a while for actually only including HDMI cables with their 240hz gaming monitors. I never thought that made sense because DP is just better but... yeah.
At maximum overdrive, XG2431 uses a much gentler overshoot than many 240Hz monitors. It's a matter of personal preference which overdrive setting you use.

Warm-Up Advice Applies to All LCD Monitors In Wintertime and Cold Rooms:
Just remember to turn on your monitor for 60 minutes before any critical esports game in a cold room.

Warm up your panel first if it's wintertime in a cold room, since GtG is slow on freezing panels turned on in the morning in a cold computer room. Your ghosting will be worse (and feel a bit slower) in a very cold room with all LCDs -- since all LCDs are temperature sensitive. Many set thermostat to 65 degrees F or 16 degrees C, and that can add an extra millisecond of lag to GtG with many models of LCD monitors you buy. Most manufacturers and reviewers benchmark GtG pixel response at 20 degrees C. The factory preprogrammed PureXP modes (Ultra, Extreme, Normal, Light) were pre-calibrated at 20 degrees C / 68 degrees F.

By turning on your monitor first for about one hour (just powering on the monitor will warm up the monitor), you will reach optimum GtG pixel response by the time you start your game.

youmirinbrah

Post by youmirinbrah » 11 Dec 2021, 12:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 12:24
masterblaster wrote:
hDMI does 240hz these days. It just depends on which version HDMI. But the latest stuff does. Some monitor manufacturers for a while for actually only including HDMI cables with their 240hz gaming monitors. I never thought that made sense because DP is just better but... yeah.
At maximum overdrive, XG2431 uses a much gentler overshoot than many 240Hz monitors. It's a matter of personal preference which overdrive setting you use.

Warm-Up Advice Applies to All LCD Monitors In Wintertime and Cold Rooms:
Just remember to turn on your monitor for 60 minutes before any critical esports game in a cold room.

Warm up your panel first if it's wintertime in a cold room, since GtG is slow on freezing panels turned on in the morning in a cold computer room. Your ghosting will be worse (and feel a bit slower) in a very cold room with all LCDs -- since all LCDs are temperature sensitive. Many set thermostat to 65 degrees F or 16 degrees C, and that can add an extra millisecond of lag to GtG with many models of LCD monitors you buy. Most manufacturers and reviewers benchmark GtG pixel response at 20 degrees C. The factory preprogrammed PureXP modes (Ultra, Extreme, Normal, Light) were pre-calibrated at 20 degrees C / 68 degrees F.

By turning on your monitor first for about one hour (just powering on the monitor will warm up the monitor), you will reach optimum GtG pixel response by the time you start your game.
Am I correct in saying that when i use the default purexp settings, you cannot adjust the response time mode. i.e. response time is the same for each level of purexp?

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 11 Dec 2021, 16:43

Does the XG2431 have any Gamma adjustments? I'm using it side-by-side with the BenQ XL2546K and I think it actually marginally beats it on motion blur reduction at a similar brightness level, but the colors are so dark (independent of brightness). If I could tick up the overall Gamma by 1 or 2 levels it would be perfect, but right now the shadows and dark colors are so dark it makes using it as an eSports monitor difficult. The BenQ has just as good of colors but it's just noticeably brighter without actually being backlit brighter (if that makes sense). Going on Normal or Light on the XG2431 makes the screen overall brighter (too bright) but doesn't actually fix the color issue.

youmirinbrah

Post by youmirinbrah » 11 Dec 2021, 17:20

StarWarsCoffee wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:43
Does the XG2431 have any Gamma adjustments? I'm using it side-by-side with the BenQ XL2546K and I think it actually marginally beats it on motion blur reduction at a similar brightness level, but the colors are so dark (independent of brightness). If I could tick up the overall Gamma by 1 or 2 levels it would be perfect, but right now the shadows and dark colors are so dark it makes using it as an eSports monitor difficult. The BenQ has just as good of colors but it's just noticeably brighter without actually being backlit brighter (if that makes sense). Going on Normal or Light on the XG2431 makes the screen overall brighter (too bright) but doesn't actually fix the color issue.
why not adjust gamma in nvidia control panel?

youmirinbrah

Post by youmirinbrah » 11 Dec 2021, 17:21

youmirinbrah wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:20
StarWarsCoffee wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:43
why not adjust gamma in nvidia control panel?
also i think black equalizer helps with dark corners particularly in something like csgo