ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 00:27

BYF wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 06:37
So overall I'm no further on but did experience the benefits of VRR which I now want in my next display. For me BFI although effective has too many compromises. So now I think I'm better off looking for something with fastest possible pixel reponse with VRR without BFI. I know a complete reversal! Never thought I'd be writing this as motion clarity is my biggest gripe with flat panels. So I guess the question now is are there any cheaper options than the C1, or is the C1 or similar OLED still the best non BFI display with minimal blur.
With sample-and-hold VRR, frametime is the motion blur, and frametime corresponds to MPRT(100%), assuming GtG=0 ... That's why 60Hz-vs-120Hz is much more visible on OLED than on LCD, since GtG is near zero, and motion blur is more proportional to refresh cycle time (assuming framerate=Hz). So, you want to increase refresh rate and frame rate to decrease motion blur without BFI.

Remember, there are two different pixel response benchmarks, GtG and MPRT

There are no easy solutions at the moment (yet), although strobed VRR options may help somewhat (ELMB-SYNC, Aim Stabilizer Sync, etc), assuming you run at framerates that fluctuate only near max Hz.

And remember, even 0ms GtG still has lots of motion blur -- because display motion blur is mainly caused by pixel visibility time, not pixel transition time (demo: www.testufo.com/eyetracking ... even on an OLED the lines blurs into disappearance for 2nd UFO, since your analog-moving eyes are in different positions at the beginning/ends of a continuously-displayed refresh cycle, smearing that frame/that refresh cycle across your retinas. The only way to reduce that blur without BFI is to increase refresh rate and frame rate)

Long term, sheer framerate (1000fps 1000Hz) would be the BFI-less method of motion blur reduction -- that's the long term 1000 Hz Journey.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Angel Soler

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Angel Soler » 14 Jun 2022, 02:27

Angel Soler wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 00:47
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 20:03
Angel Soler wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 15:47
I have been very disappointed with the XG2431 with its strobe mode at 60hz on consoles.

I don't know if there's something I'm not doing right, but the XL2411P has a better strobe mode on consoles.
The crosstalk is finer, takes up less screen, and the brightest area is sharper on the XL2411P. I am sure that on PC it will improve thanks to the vertical total, but I wanted the monitor only for consoles.
I hope it's that I'm not doing something right and I'm wrong 😞
What are your current strobe tuning settings?
Are you using the existing PureXP settings (Light, Normal, Extreme, Ultra) or the Custom setting?

Also, general recommendation for all strobed displays:
Did you break in the monitor for at least 24 hours, preferably 72 hours? (Also recommended for XL2411P strobe crosstalk minimization too). Also remember to warm up the panel for at least 30 minutes if it was already turned off, especially in a cool/cold room.

If using Custom, you can re-tune 1080p 60Hz VT1125 on a PC, and then disconnect the PC and then connect to a console.

While large vertical totals help, there should already be zero crosstalk for screen centre (similar to RTINGS photo) even on consoles. If your XG2431 looks worse than the 60Hz RTINGS pursuit photos, then something is wrong (e.g. panel lottery) -- As a last resort, you can try a "Factory Reset" (Memory Recall).

You can post here in these forums or send me a PM (your preference)
I've done most of the things you mentioned, but not all of them. I'm going to do them all and I'll take photos to show them in the forum, see if you can advise me. Thank you very much for your interest ☺️
After a break-in period and after some fine tuning I have to say that I am impressed with the XG2431.

I was wrong in my first impression.

The monitor is wonderful.
To say that I am a CRT enthusiast (until a couple of years ago I was playing on a SONY 21 CRT).

I only play on console (60hz) and until now I was playing with the XL2411p.
I was very happy, but it is true that the crosstalk was very visible in certain areas.
With the XG2431, it's as if the crosstalk is softer, less pronounced, and in a real game it goes completely unnoticed.

This is as close as there is to the SONY CRT, hands down.

And I still have to give it more break-in time, and then it will improve even more :)

In short, very happy with the monitor.

The definitive screen for nostalgic of the CRT.

Many thanks to Chief for all his advice and directions :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 02:34

Angel Soler wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 02:27
Angel Soler wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 00:47
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 20:03
Angel Soler wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 15:47
I have been very disappointed with the XG2431 with its strobe mode at 60hz on consoles.

I don't know if there's something I'm not doing right, but the XL2411P has a better strobe mode on consoles.
The crosstalk is finer, takes up less screen, and the brightest area is sharper on the XL2411P. I am sure that on PC it will improve thanks to the vertical total, but I wanted the monitor only for consoles.
I hope it's that I'm not doing something right and I'm wrong 😞
What are your current strobe tuning settings?
Are you using the existing PureXP settings (Light, Normal, Extreme, Ultra) or the Custom setting?

Also, general recommendation for all strobed displays:
Did you break in the monitor for at least 24 hours, preferably 72 hours? (Also recommended for XL2411P strobe crosstalk minimization too). Also remember to warm up the panel for at least 30 minutes if it was already turned off, especially in a cool/cold room.

If using Custom, you can re-tune 1080p 60Hz VT1125 on a PC, and then disconnect the PC and then connect to a console.

While large vertical totals help, there should already be zero crosstalk for screen centre (similar to RTINGS photo) even on consoles. If your XG2431 looks worse than the 60Hz RTINGS pursuit photos, then something is wrong (e.g. panel lottery) -- As a last resort, you can try a "Factory Reset" (Memory Recall).

You can post here in these forums or send me a PM (your preference)
I've done most of the things you mentioned, but not all of them. I'm going to do them all and I'll take photos to show them in the forum, see if you can advise me. Thank you very much for your interest ☺️
After a break-in period and after some fine tuning I have to say that I am impressed with the XG2431.

I was wrong in my first impression.

The monitor is wonderful.
To say that I am a CRT enthusiast (until a couple of years ago I was playing on a SONY 21 CRT).

I only play on console (60hz) and until now I was playing with the XL2411p.
I was very happy, but it is true that the crosstalk was very visible in certain areas.
With the XG2431, it's as if the crosstalk is softer, less pronounced, and in a real game it goes completely unnoticed.

This is as close as there is to the SONY CRT, hands down.

And I still have to give it more break-in time, and then it will improve even more :)

In short, very happy with the monitor.

The definitive screen for nostalgic of the CRT.

Many thanks to Chief for all his advice and directions :)
Excellent to hear, I'm glad that the XG2431 has improved to the point where it is very comparable to CRT for you!

I always recommend everyone at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 to give their XG2431 LCD time to "break in".

The liquid in the Liquid Crystal Display (L.C.D.) is a fluid between two glass layers, and is not always evenly distributed (e.g. shipping, pressure spots, fresh off the factory line), so it takes a few dozens of hours for LCD GtG to speed up and stabilize to its final pixel response speeds.

Know how pressing a finger on an LCD distorts the blacks of an LCD, and takes seconds to resolve itself? Likewise, pressure from tight bezels (pressure in shipping box), or even things pressing against the screen surface during shipping, the twisting/pressing/weight of stacked boxes, and the shipping orientiations (shipped flat or wrong way up), can cause the same problem but can take hours to resolve itself -- can take 10-to-100 hours to get from a terrible black screen to a more normal IPS glow (assuming no edge bleed defects or other panel defects). This also creates GtG nonuniformities, where one part of screen might have faster GtG than another part, at least until the fluid is evenly distributed in the glass sandwich of an LCD panel.

Break in also helps make black uniformity reach its final levels more quickly (time for pressure spots, created during shipping, to diminish). This is a problem for all LCDs, not just XG2431.

The black uniformity behavior of a freshly unboxed panel can be a mishmash of IPS glow (symmetric) and pressure spots (asymmetric) or backlight bleed (defect). The black uniformity is a superset of all 3! But the magic is 1 out of 3 can fully disappear with break-in, leaving behind the rest (which might not be too bad). After burning in 24/7 at 100% brightness, the pressure spots disappear, leaving hopefully just the IPS glow (normal).

This is a recommendation I tell anyone of a newly unboxed monitor to do -- give enough time for breakin before judging its black uniformity. We have other threads of people remarking improved black uniformity after break-in. Good reviewers like RTINGS already know to break in before testing LCD GtG, strobe crosstalk, and photographing black uniformity. (And if they don't break in the monitor first, then tell them to!).

Strobe tuning is super-sensitive to tiny LCD GtG pixel response differences. That's why I convinced ViewSonic to release a Strobe Utility to let users fine-tune strobing -- different monitors often need slightly different strobe settings to get best results.

I'm glad your panel appears to be performing much better now!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BYF

Post by BYF » 16 Jun 2022, 12:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 00:27
BYF wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 06:37
So overall I'm no further on but did experience the benefits of VRR which I now want in my next display. For me BFI although effective has too many compromises. So now I think I'm better off looking for something with fastest possible pixel reponse with VRR without BFI. I know a complete reversal! Never thought I'd be writing this as motion clarity is my biggest gripe with flat panels. So I guess the question now is are there any cheaper options than the C1, or is the C1 or similar OLED still the best non BFI display with minimal blur.
With sample-and-hold VRR, frametime is the motion blur, and frametime corresponds to MPRT(100%), assuming GtG=0 ... That's why 60Hz-vs-120Hz is much more visible on OLED than on LCD, since GtG is near zero, and motion blur is more proportional to refresh cycle time (assuming framerate=Hz). So, you want to increase refresh rate and frame rate to decrease motion blur without BFI.

Remember, there are two different pixel response benchmarks, GtG and MPRT

There are no easy solutions at the moment (yet), although strobed VRR options may help somewhat (ELMB-SYNC, Aim Stabilizer Sync, etc), assuming you run at framerates that fluctuate only near max Hz.

And remember, even 0ms GtG still has lots of motion blur -- because display motion blur is mainly caused by pixel visibility time, not pixel transition time (demo: www.testufo.com/eyetracking ... even on an OLED the lines blurs into disappearance for 2nd UFO, since your analog-moving eyes are in different positions at the beginning/ends of a continuously-displayed refresh cycle, smearing that frame/that refresh cycle across your retinas. The only way to reduce that blur without BFI is to increase refresh rate and frame rate)

Long term, sheer framerate (1000fps 1000Hz) would be the BFI-less method of motion blur reduction -- that's the long term 1000 Hz Journey.
Thanks for the summary and the clarification with regards to pixel.visibility time being one of the main drivers of visible motion blur. My old 120hz LG Monitor has noticeably better motion clarity if I can maintain or exceed 120fps compared. I'd say it's comparable to my plasma at 60hz and 60fps games. So in short I'm going to need BFI at the sacrifice of VRR for 60 Hz/fps, is there any significant input lag with BFI on or major drop in brightness like with the LG OLED with the viewsonic? Reading the previous posters CRT like experience with the XG2431 has made me want to try one even more but I still can't find one in UK in stock.

davidsnk17

Post by davidsnk17 » 18 Jun 2022, 14:23

Hi guys! My first post here even though I watched through this thread in order to acquire this monitor.

Coming from a MSI MAG24C (144) this is considerable better in ghosting/strobbing aspect, so thank you for the recommendation.
Here comes my 2 questions:

1) The break-in period is leaving the monitor on with something on the background or only the PC powered on and the monitor on stand-by.

2) I have a 3070ti and I noticed that in games around 100-141 fps is doing pretty well but once it goes lower than 80 fps or so, I start to notice a bit of strobbing when turning the camera slowly (ex: Yuzu emulator at 60 fps).

Thank you very much and greetings from Argentina.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jun 2022, 18:41

davidsnk17 wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 14:23
1) The break-in period is leaving the monitor on with something on the background or only the PC powered on and the monitor on stand-by.
You can just use the monitor normally and it'll break in eventually. Accelerated break in is simply leaving the monitor on 24/7 (powered on, not in stand by, displaying some images), especially if you're unsure about panel quality of a freshly-shipped panel and want to break-in as quickly as possible before determining warranty issues (e.g. whether a specific black uniformity issue is permanently backlight bleed versus temporary LCD pressure spots)

The content during break in doesn't really matter, but I usually recommend active material (e.g. video loop or photo slideshow). But an idling intermittently-used computer desktop is fine.

The monitor needs to be displaying something and the backlight turned on (i.e. not in standby). Any video source can do but if you use the PC, turn off the screensaver initially to help accelerate the break-in of the monitor.

If it's a particularly cold room (winter in southern hemisphere), you can use a blank black screen too if preferred. Like a full screen console window since black absorbs maximum heat from the edgelight and can speed up panel warm up / break-in.
davidsnk17 wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 14:23
2) I have a 3070ti and I noticed that in games around 100-141 fps is doing pretty well but once it goes lower than 80 fps or so, I start to notice a bit of strobbing when turning the camera slowly (ex: Yuzu emulator at 60 fps).
When PureXP is enabled, you should ideally use framerate=Hz. So switch refresh rate to make sure framerate perfectly matches Hz.

The 3fps-below tip is only for VRR (FreeSync=ON / GSYNC=ON), and is not recommended for fixed Hz operations. The capping differentials that are recommended, are different for non-VRR situations.

davidsnk17

Post by davidsnk17 » 18 Jun 2022, 22:57

Then I already did the break-in automatically :lol:

I'm using PureXP+ with VSync (on Control Panel) plus the tip of setting the QFT on 120 hz. Damn it's really responsive, coming from a VA display now I can concentrate while playing instead of having motion blur on every game.

Thank you really much, Chief, you and this forum are the reason I acquired this monitor.

DaveB585

Post by DaveB585 » 21 Jun 2022, 12:19

Greetings everyone - new member here, complete beginner to gaming monitors, and first time poster who's going to ask some basic, dumb questions.

I just received my XG2431 today and it's a little overwhelming all the options and setups available to use. What I'm looking for help with is to maximize performance (primary concern is speed/reducing lag, then blur reduction - I'm not concerned about picture quality). The only game I play is Destiny 2 on my Xbox Series X, 80% of the time playing try-hard 120FPS and 20% of the time playing leisurely 60FPS modes, so I'm looking to optimize settings for 120hz competitive gaming while also being able to play 60hz without any issues.

Where do I even start configuring this thing?! How can I optimize speed/reduce lag for 120hz? Should I use Freesync on it or should I leave it off? How do I maximize blur reduction at 120hz? What other settings would you recommend for 120hz gaming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if explained at a 6th grade level because I'm really new here.

ContentCrazy

Post by ContentCrazy » 24 Jun 2022, 00:33

I’m looking to run this monitor for competitive gaming (Valorant, CS:GO, Fortnite, etc.). What is the best competitive gaming setup for this monitor? I was thinking of:

1) Leaving the refresh rate uncapped with blur reduction off.

2) Capping the refresh rate at 240 FPS with blur reduction OFF.

3) Capping the refresh rate at 240 FPS with blur reduction ON.

4) Capping the refresh rate at 237 FPS with GSYNC and VSYNC on and blur reduction off/on (not sure which).

I already set the monitor to its fastest response time setting. As for capping FPS, should it be done in-game or in the NVIDIA control Panel?

Thanks guys.

kyube

Post by kyube » 24 Jun 2022, 19:43

ContentCrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 00:33
I’m looking to run this monitor for competitive gaming (Valorant, CS:GO, Fortnite, etc.). What is the best competitive gaming setup for this monitor? I was thinking of:

1) Leaving the refresh rate uncapped with blur reduction off.

2) Capping the refresh rate at 240 FPS with blur reduction OFF.

3) Capping the refresh rate at 240 FPS with blur reduction ON.

4) Capping the refresh rate at 237 FPS with GSYNC and VSYNC on and blur reduction off/on (not sure which).

I already set the monitor to its fastest response time setting. As for capping FPS, should it be done in-game or in the NVIDIA control Panel?

Thanks guys.
3), in-game capping, color profile: native, set response times to ultra-fast and you're fine