ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nokr0n

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by nokr0n » 25 Jun 2022, 00:30

Hi, I just received the XG2431! I am excited, but, I am confused on configuring the settings on the strobe utility software. I would want the best recommended settings for FPS games, CSGO etc. Also, concerning the monitor settings itself, what should I do? I'm lost!

drhadoken32

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by drhadoken32 » 14 Jul 2022, 19:42

drhadoken32 wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 07:47
Hello, I'm currently experiencing a garbage display when using the lower Hz setting (144hz, 120hz, 60hz), and when I set it up to 240hz (yeah it's usable) but not like before there are now noticeable scanlines with it.

Tried even removing all cable powering (On) still garbage display on Viewsonic Intro Logo (Just like in the link below). I've been using the monitor for 6 months with no issues until this day I've noticed scanlines in native 240hz.

My question is will there be a fix for it like firmware updates for XG2431? Just like the Odyssey Neo G9 issues. I really love this monitor it's a bummer that this just happens when the work week just finished.

Similar issue with mine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... 431_issue/

Thanks, guys in advance.
Just an update I'm now just receiving a full refund from my local store from where I bought it since there is no direct replacement for it here in the Philippines as there are no more stocks here and if I was to wait it would take months. I will now be just replacing mine with ASUS VG259QM. Still, if there are stocks here in my local store I still would want to avail that. I've waited for almost a month if there will be a replacement but sadly it's not an option.

From what I have researched there are only 3 reported issues that are the same as mine (garbage display) outputting horizontal artifacts.
1. From the Reddit link I shared. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... 431_issue/)
2. From a Facebook ViewSonic Philippines community group. (https://imgur.com/a/5JHzWcr)
3. Mine.

Still one of the cleanest monitors I've experienced coming from 144Hz XG240R. Now It's time for me to try out ASUS VG259QM 280Hz.

Thanks for the 6 months ViewSonic XG2431
12/06/2021 -> 06/10/2022

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jul 2022, 01:57

nokr0n wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 00:30
Hi, I just received the XG2431! I am excited, but, I am confused on configuring the settings on the strobe utility software. I would want the best recommended settings for FPS games, CSGO etc. Also, concerning the monitor settings itself, what should I do? I'm lost!
The recommended settings are already preprogrammed into your monitor.

The recommended Strobe Utility presets (pulse phase, pulse width, and overdrive gain) are already factory-programmed into the PureXP "Light" "Normal" "Extreme" "Ultra" settings as hardcoded profile values. Strobe Utility only adjusts the Custom setting.

Strobe Utility is completely optional, the monitor already has pre-tuned PureXP modes already optimized for your FPS games. Most tend to use 240Hz VSYNC OFF, and the built-in 240Hz profile is already precalibrated to settings that are as good as most average user will be able to calibrate with Strobe Utility.

However, those prioritizing minimum-crosstalk highest-quality operation will find Strobe Utility instructions at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

There is no exact one-size-fits-all settings for Strobe Utility that is better than the existing one-size-fits-all pre-tuning. Panels vary slightly from each other, and LCDs are temperature sensitive, so the settings can vary slightly depending on the panel lottery fact or and ambient temperature (cold room in winter, hot room in summer). This is where Strobe Utility is useful for fine-tuning according to these instructions.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jul 2022, 01:59

drhadoken32 wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 19:42
Still one of the cleanest monitors I've experienced coming from 144Hz XG240R. Now It's time for me to try out ASUS VG259QM 280Hz.

Thanks for the 6 months ViewSonic XG2431
Sorry to hear the pesky supply chain issues, it's really been affecting all of us.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gwyndael

Post by Gwyndael » 22 Jul 2022, 14:53

Fortune smiled upon me and I was able to get hold of an XG2431 here in the UK via eBay.

Haven't had a lot of time to play around with it too much yet, but have been very impressed with the little time I've spent with the out of the box settings.

I have noticed that when I'm using the monitors audio jack and turn on PureXP I get a slight buzzing sound in my earbuds. Does anyone else get this?

I'm assuming it's a design quirk and it's just picking up interference from strobing, but I thought I'd double check to make sure.

fortune

Post by fortune » 28 Jul 2022, 13:17

Would I be better off buying the Viewsonic XG2431 or the XV252Q AOPEN version (390hz Acer)?

Both monitors are $300 right now and I'm not sure which one is the better choice. I can handle 390fps on the usual easy games like csgo, valorant, minecraft etc. I have watched and read numerous reviews, but I am still not sure. My most played game at the moment is Apex Legends so the Viewsonic is the better choice there I believe.

Has anyone tested both and decided on one of the two?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jul 2022, 21:30

fortune wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:17
Would I be better off buying the Viewsonic XG2431 or the XV252Q AOPEN version (390hz Acer)?

Both monitors are $300 right now and I'm not sure which one is the better choice. I can handle 390fps on the usual easy games like csgo, valorant, minecraft etc. I have watched and read numerous reviews, but I am still not sure. My most played game at the moment is Apex Legends so the Viewsonic is the better choice there I believe.

Depends on your priorities.

There are pros/cons, some of them biased (Blur Busters Approved) and some of them sheer Hz (390Hz)

The XG2431 has better strobing, and the XV252Q probably has better VRR performance (check sites such as RTINGS). It's your decision.

If you prefer VRR over strobing, the new rule in 2022 is always buy more VRR range than your uncapped framerate range.

This gives you compromise-free esports-quality VRR when you don't have to contend with VRR-range crossing events (lag!) with your framerate.

A framerate range staying completely inside VRR range gives you essentially compromises-free VRR without the complaints that esports atheletes extoll about VRR versus VSYNC OFF. That's where >360Hz monitors play a role, and I expect VRR at ~400-500Hz will feel as good as VSYNC OFF to the majority (without the jitter/tearing compromises of VSYNC OFF), provided the LCD GtG and VRR overdrive isn't too shabby

But Blur Busters Approved is all about strobing -- and that is where I'll gladly show a little (100% very legitimate) bias here. And very few monitors outperform a well-calibrated XG2431 in that department, in terms of visual quality (minimum crosstalk, avoid duplicate image effect during motion).

VRR ain't bad on XG2431, but if you play games that exceed 240fps, this might be a consideration, due to the minor lagfeel change of framerates entering/exiting VRR-range (especially if you don't have a device like Reflex Latency Analyzer to keep things consistent).

So ask yourself: Strobing quality or VRR quality?

john12345

Post by john12345 » 05 Aug 2022, 13:04

3 questions, sorry if they've been answered already:

1. Is there any way to see the strobe width/phase and overdrive gain for the pure xp presets? For example, Ultra preset: width 9, pulse #, overdrive gain#

2. Are there any forums where the optimal custom pure xp settings for different games, framerates, refresh rates, etc. have been discussed? I haven't been able to find any and was wondering if cranking overdrive and living with worse crosstalk/ghosting is worth it for performance.

3. I have the same problem as ysenojftw on page 71 where the strobe utility software says strobe pulse twice, any fix for this found yet?

Jadzira

Post by Jadzira » 09 Aug 2022, 03:16

Hi, I bought the monitor from USA to Poland.

I found out the best strobe settings for 240 Hz in Viewsonic Strobe Utility.

My custom settings:
Strobe Pulse Width - 28
Strobe Pulse Phase - 8
Overdrive gain - 36

I use RTSS Scanline Sync, its set on -131 and works perfect.

Now I would like to get your assistance to help me set the best settings in CRU for QFT and lowest possible lag.

That's how CRU settings look like now:

oneils

Post by oneils » 13 Aug 2022, 09:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:30
fortune wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:17

Depends on your priorities.

There are pros/cons, some of them biased (Blur Busters Approved) and some of them sheer Hz (390Hz)

The XG2431 has better strobing, and the XV252Q probably has better VRR performance (check sites such as RTINGS). It's your decision.

If you prefer VRR over strobing, the new rule in 2022 is always buy more VRR range than your uncapped framerate range.

This gives you compromise-free esports-quality VRR when you don't have to contend with VRR-range crossing events (lag!) with your framerate.

A framerate range staying completely inside VRR range gives you essentially compromises-free VRR without the complaints that esports atheletes extoll about VRR versus VSYNC OFF. That's where >360Hz monitors play a role, and I expect VRR at ~400-500Hz will feel as good as VSYNC OFF to the majority (without the jitter/tearing compromises of VSYNC OFF), provided the LCD GtG and VRR overdrive isn't too shabby

But Blur Busters Approved is all about strobing -- and that is where I'll gladly show a little (100% very legitimate) bias here. And very few monitors outperform a well-calibrated XG2431 in that department, in terms of visual quality (minimum crosstalk, avoid duplicate image effect during motion).

VRR ain't bad on XG2431, but if you play games that exceed 240fps, this might be a consideration, due to the minor lagfeel change of framerates entering/exiting VRR-range (especially if you don't have a device like Reflex Latency Analyzer to keep things consistent).

So ask yourself: Strobing quality or VRR quality?
Hi there. Can you maybe expand a bit on VRR with this monitor? I'm thinking of picking this up with an rtx 3070. I would mainly play games like Warzone, and the upcoming Modern Warfare II. From what I see, an rtx 3070 won't really be able to push fps past 180 or so.
If I have VRR on when playing at 180 or so, should that be fine?

And for games that would push past 240, you would recommend that Vsync/VRR stay off?

edit: Just saw this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8113&start=140#p67708
That explains it for me. Thanks.