ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
oneils

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by oneils » 17 Aug 2022, 08:21

New reply cause I wanted to share my experience with this monitor. I ended up ordering this on Amazon, last friday and received it yesterday morning.

Disclosure: I am a very casual gamer. But I wanted to update my second monitor and I really only have room for a 24 inch monitor. So I thought if I am getting a new 24 inch monitor, why not get a decent gaming monitor?

I work from home and have a work laptop, and a personal desktop computer in my office.

The work laptop can only put out 60hz.
My Desktop PC has a gtx 1070 in it.

On the desktop PC, I put "response" time (or over drive) to Ultrafast and "PureXP" to "Normal." I've played an hour of CSGO. I put video settings to medium and was getting over 200-240+ fps. It feels great. I actually, for the first time, put my mouse's dpi to something over 1000. I had it set to 1,500. On my 144hz monitor, for some reason I settle at 800 to 1000 dpi. I thought 1080p would be rough (as I usually game on my primary 1440p 144hz monitor). But it still looks great. I guess the PPI of a 23.8 inch monitor at 1080p is very similar to 1440p on a 27 inch monitor.

On my work laptop, I have to disable PureXP. Too much flicker on the desktop. I want to try out games at 60Hz and 100Hz etc to see how that goes.

There is back light bleeding (more so than on my 1440p ips monitor), but I only notice it when the screen is blank.

I want to mess around with trying to match framerate with the refresh rate. Can't use freesync when PureXP is on. So I'd like to figure out how to match hz to fps. One thing that surprised me is that I saw little to no tearing when playing CSGO.

I had vsync off. I wonder, if I am using PureXP should I turn on vsync? Or let it rip? I'll have to experiment?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2022, 17:59

oneils wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 08:21
On my work laptop, I have to disable PureXP. Too much flicker on the desktop. I want to try out games at 60Hz and 100Hz etc to see how that goes.
TIP: You can install Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and quickly turn on/off PureXP via the Blur Busters Strobe Utility system tray menu.

You don't even need to use PureXP Custom if you don't want to calibrate via Strobe Utility, and simply use Strobe Utility as a rapid PureXP mode switcher -- faster than using monitor OSD. But if you later decide you want to play with PureXP Custom, see www.blurbusters.com/xg2431
oneils wrote:
There is back light bleeding (more so than on my 1440p ips monitor), but I only notice it when the screen is blank.
There are three sources of panel inconsistency that is sometimes confused with each other:
- IPS glow (symmetric)
- Backlight bleed (factory variances in panel packaging, sometimes RMA-able if really bad)
- Persistent pressure spots (from shipping box, like a finger pressing on steroids pressing on panel for weeks).

IPS glow is just a nature of the panel, while backlight bleed on a good panel should not be worse than IPS glow (usually), while it takes sometimes about ~24 to ~100+ hours of burn-in to eliminate the old persistent pressure spots. (Just disable screen saver, leave monitor running overnight, keep it toasty and warm).
oneils wrote:
I want to mess around with trying to match framerate with the refresh rate. Can't use freesync when PureXP is on. So I'd like to figure out how to match hz to fps. One thing that surprised me is that I saw little to no tearing when playing CSGO.
Higher refresh rates make tearing less visible. Tearing at 240Hz is visible only for 1/240sec, while tearing at 144Hz is visible for 1/144sec. Some people can't easily notice tearing at 240Hz, while others still see it at 360Hz+, everybodys' sensitivity to tearing is different. If you can't even see tearing, then you are lucky.
oneils wrote:
I had vsync off. I wonder, if I am using PureXP should I turn on vsync? Or let it rip? I'll have to experiment?
For esports low-latency, strobed VSYNC OFF is certainly an okay compromise. Max Hz + VSYNC OFF is the lowest latency for strobing, so it's what most competitive players use (whether it's DyAc or Aim Stabilizer or PureXP, etc). It's just not as zero-jitter as perfect framerate=Hz. It is one of those cases of "Right Tool For The Right Job" as a latency versus fluidity tradeoff.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

oneils

Post by oneils » 18 Aug 2022, 22:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 17:59

TIP: You can install Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and quickly turn on/off PureXP via the Blur Busters Strobe Utility system tray menu.

There are three sources of panel inconsistency that is sometimes confused with each other:
- IPS glow (symmetric)
- Backlight bleed (factory variances in panel packaging, sometimes RMA-able if really bad)
- Persistent pressure spots (from shipping box, like a finger pressing on steroids pressing on panel for weeks).

IPS glow is just a nature of the panel, while backlight bleed on a good panel should not be worse than IPS glow (usually), while it takes sometimes about ~24 to ~100+ hours of burn-in to eliminate the old persistent pressure spots. (Just disable screen saver, leave monitor running overnight, keep it toasty and warm).

Higher refresh rates make tearing less visible. Tearing at 240Hz is visible only for 1/240sec, while tearing at 144Hz is visible for 1/144sec. Some people can't easily notice tearing at 240Hz, while others still see it at 360Hz+, everybodys' sensitivity to tearing is different. If you can't even see tearing, then you are lucky.

For esports low-latency, strobed VSYNC OFF is certainly an okay compromise. Max Hz + VSYNC OFF is the lowest latency for strobing, so it's what most competitive players use (whether it's DyAc or Aim Stabilizer or PureXP, etc). It's just not as zero-jitter as perfect framerate=Hz. It is one of those cases of "Right Tool For The Right Job" as a latency versus fluidity tradeoff.
Thank you for all this! Thanks for the explanation about "backlight bleed" in particular. It looks to be mostly glow. And after having it on for 15-20 hours I have noticed that the spots at the edges are almost gone now. So that is helping.

I have been experimenting, but mostly in CSGO. I tried 120hz with vscync on and strobing on, and 240hz with vsync off and strobing on, then 240hz with vsync off and strobing off. I preferred the second one, but still liked the third because it was a bit brighter. But I want to keep experimenting different setups to see which one I prefer.

oneils

Post by oneils » 19 Aug 2022, 11:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 17:59

- IPS glow (symmetric)

Thank you for all this! Thanks for the explanation about "backlight bleed" in particular. It looks to be mostly glow. And after having it on for 15-20 hours I have noticed that the spots at the edges are almost gone now. So that is helping.

I have been experimenting, but mostly in CSGO. I tried 120hz with vscync on and strobing on, and 240hz with vsync off and strobing on, then 240hz with vsync on and strobing off. I preferred the second one, but still liked the third because it was a bit brighter. But I want to keep experimenting different setups to see which one I prefer.

Euxxy_Menidez88

Post by Euxxy_Menidez88 » 19 Aug 2022, 12:12

I made an account just to ask this since Mark seems to directly answer questions on here and I can't find any information about this online, so I would appreciate if anyone's able to offer me any insight. I'm not any sort of enthusiast and I don't frequent these forums or know too much about motion blur/ghosting or the technology behind it, but coming from simply a consumers perspective, and from someone who plays games somewhat competitively, I'm personally very sensitive to ghosting on monitors or any sort of distortion in image quality.

Since my old Benq 144hz TN panel broke I've been looking for a replacement for months now and through research, watching countless youtube reviews and my own testing, I've decided the XG2431 is the perfect monitor for what I'm looking for, an IPS panel unapologetically focused on performance.

But to keep a really long story short, I'm up to purchasing my 4th IPS panel now as I've already purchased 3 and returned all of them due to their ghosting and general "blur" with several issues I didn't even know existed coming from a TN panel. Such as their backlight strobing modes just looking embarrassingly bad, (yes I capped fps at the refresh rate), so bad that I don't know why they would add the feature to begin with when it very clearly shows doubles and triples of the image, and with strobing off just using the basic overdrive modes (AMA for Benq for example) when I would turn this setting above 1, the picture would not only distort but also pixelate, as in become little squares while scrolling on web pages/moving my camera in games. Very minor and perhaps most people won't notice/care, but surely this isn't normal? Testing the same settings on a 144hz Benq TN panel gave me mind-blowing results of motion clarity. So, from thinking the monitors must be broken/to trying different brands and returning all of them, I ended up here at the XG2431, which is actually similarly priced to the 165/144hz options I've been testing and the only IPS in the world that can apparently live up to the performance of a TN, but this will definitely be the last stop before I give up and go back to TN panels. I say the only IPS in the world, because I also understand that higher hertz does not guarantee good ghosting/motion clarity. 240hz feels "smooth" enough, and my priority now is motion clarity alone.

In saying that, the question I have about this monitor is, is this really the only IPS currently on the market that can reach this level of performance? And do you think the XG2431 will suffice for a very fussy TN user or will those problems I just mentioned persist in every IPS panel?

What about the new Elite series from Viewsonic?

This monitor for example - https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG250

The Viewsonic XG250, is that basically just a better version of the XG2431? Though that monitor is not being sold in Australia right now, is there any point for me not to wait for that monitor to be sold as a 24.5 inch variant with an overclockable extra 40hz?

I know it's not "blurbusters approved", but surely they've made that with the same tech/knowledge you collaborated them with? Would you say they're exactly the same, or is the 23.8 inch panel of the XG2431 still better at speed and clarity? I know Mark says that he's really just focused on perfecting "strobing" but if you look at tests done with strobing off versus even the Benq XL2546K, the clarity with strobing off is still superior to any IPS I've seen and on par with the TN.

Which is why I'm wondering if the XG250 will be a viable option, with the same performance? Because I really would prefer that extra inch and frames, why not, right? But of course not at the sacrifice of any performance.

Speaking of Blurbusters approved", do any other monitors exist with that approval, or just the XG2431? I saw some were coming from a year ago? But I don't see any.

I'll mainly be using the monitor in normal overdrive modes which it still seems to excel at over any other monitor, but I would like the option of strobing for when I need it.

Apologies if the questions are amateur and for the long write up, I just don't upgrade monitors until I have to once I make the right decision. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and if you have any better suggestions I didn't mention here for what I'm looking for please feel free to advise me.

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 24 Aug 2022, 07:39

I got my XG2431 yesterday and I setup everything but I am disappointed with this monitor I had an old viewsonic XG240r that was rated the same nits brightness as this XG2431 and yet the old TN XG240r was significantly brighter than this ips xg2431 at least it looked so to my eyes but I have been using a samsung G3 at max brightness for the longest time even in dark which I should not be and over time it has gotten dimmer? or my eyes adjusted to it? maybe this is the issue?

Anyways even when set to 120hz and I do ufo test there is noticable cross talk with pure XP enabled on this XG2431 both light and extreme same with 240hz but on 240hz it seems to be less.

Is there an rtings equivalent UFO test with the rtings logo that I can use to test to ensure my monitor atleast matches up to their logo test results? the best I could find was a youtube video of rtings logo moving and when i set to single strobe 60hz sure enough there is no cross talk, I wonder if blurr buster ufo is harder to render which is what is causing the noticable cross talk even at 120hz? it only ever reallyu goes away with ultra setting

Any help in configuring my monitor is greatly appreciated

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 24 Aug 2022, 09:58

Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 12:12
I made an account just to ask this since Mark seems to directly answer questions on here and I can't find any information about this online, so I would appreciate if anyone's able to offer me any insight. I'm not any sort of enthusiast and I don't frequent these forums or know too much about motion blur/ghosting or the technology behind it, but coming from simply a consumers perspective, and from someone who plays games somewhat competitively, I'm personally very sensitive to ghosting on monitors or any sort of distortion in image quality.

Since my old Benq 144hz TN panel broke I've been looking for a replacement for months now and through research, watching countless youtube reviews and my own testing, I've decided the XG2431 is the perfect monitor for what I'm looking for, an IPS panel unapologetically focused on performance.

But to keep a really long story short, I'm up to purchasing my 4th IPS panel now as I've already purchased 3 and returned all of them due to their ghosting and general "blur" with several issues I didn't even know existed coming from a TN panel. Such as their backlight strobing modes just looking embarrassingly bad, (yes I capped fps at the refresh rate), so bad that I don't know why they would add the feature to begin with when it very clearly shows doubles and triples of the image, and with strobing off just using the basic overdrive modes (AMA for Benq for example) when I would turn this setting above 1, the picture would not only distort but also pixelate, as in become little squares while scrolling on web pages/moving my camera in games. Very minor and perhaps most people won't notice/care, but surely this isn't normal? Testing the same settings on a 144hz Benq TN panel gave me mind-blowing results of motion clarity. So, from thinking the monitors must be broken/to trying different brands and returning all of them, I ended up here at the XG2431, which is actually similarly priced to the 165/144hz options I've been testing and the only IPS in the world that can apparently live up to the performance of a TN, but this will definitely be the last stop before I give up and go back to TN panels. I say the only IPS in the world, because I also understand that higher hertz does not guarantee good ghosting/motion clarity. 240hz feels "smooth" enough, and my priority now is motion clarity alone.

In saying that, the question I have about this monitor is, is this really the only IPS currently on the market that can reach this level of performance? And do you think the XG2431 will suffice for a very fussy TN user or will those problems I just mentioned persist in every IPS panel?

What about the new Elite series from Viewsonic?

This monitor for example - https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG250

The Viewsonic XG250, is that basically just a better version of the XG2431? Though that monitor is not being sold in Australia right now, is there any point for me not to wait for that monitor to be sold as a 24.5 inch variant with an overclockable extra 40hz?

I know it's not "blurbusters approved", but surely they've made that with the same tech/knowledge you collaborated them with? Would you say they're exactly the same, or is the 23.8 inch panel of the XG2431 still better at speed and clarity? I know Mark says that he's really just focused on perfecting "strobing" but if you look at tests done with strobing off versus even the Benq XL2546K, the clarity with strobing off is still superior to any IPS I've seen and on par with the TN.

Which is why I'm wondering if the XG250 will be a viable option, with the same performance? Because I really would prefer that extra inch and frames, why not, right? But of course not at the sacrifice of any performance.

Speaking of Blurbusters approved", do any other monitors exist with that approval, or just the XG2431? I saw some were coming from a year ago? But I don't see any.

I'll mainly be using the monitor in normal overdrive modes which it still seems to excel at over any other monitor, but I would like the option of strobing for when I need it.

Apologies if the questions are amateur and for the long write up, I just don't upgrade monitors until I have to once I make the right decision. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and if you have any better suggestions I didn't mention here for what I'm looking for please feel free to advise me.
The XG2431 is scientifically proven to be faster than the best TN 240HZ monitor from Benq. Rtings has the total response time on both the IPS on the XG2431 is 0.1ms FASTER than the best TN.

If you don't care about brightness but you like good colors go for the 2431. I personally do NOT Like my XG2431 it has a yellowish tint on it, looks really bad in comparison to my VA samsung G3 odyssey.

The XG2431 has a really strong matte coating, it causes a very dull look especially for reading against white background. It's not as bad as those TN matte screens but it's still nowhere remotely good as compared to the ultra light matte coating samsung and others use or hell the best of the best a real Glossy screen.

If I could do it over I would just buy a VA Quantom Dot TV with local dimming FALD with full glossy screen. The experience would still be far better than my XG2431, I don't even use the pure XP because this panel is so fast it makes little difference in real games and you lose the most important feature Freesync. A lot of games can become a stuttery mess without FReesync case in point I was playing Tekken 7 yesterday and shit became really stutter and had tears since BFI dont support freesync.

I can't send it back because I live in the Caribbean so I might have to try to sell it locally. I really wish I had gone with the Hisense U8G 4K 120hz but it seemed a bit big for desktop use which was my main concern. Once you have seen these quantom dot VA TVs with HDR 1000 and up in real life with local dimming you can never go back to monitors. But again size is the problem I reckon 55 inch would be too big for a desktop use? my main issue would be looking up it might hurt my neck

Vorsic

Post by Vorsic » 27 Aug 2022, 23:37

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 07:39
I got my XG2431 yesterday and I setup everything but I am disappointed with this monitor I had an old viewsonic XG240r that was rated the same nits brightness as this XG2431 and yet the old TN XG240r was significantly brighter than this ips xg2431 at least it looked so to my eyes but I have been using a samsung G3 at max brightness for the longest time even in dark which I should not be and over time it has gotten dimmer? or my eyes adjusted to it? maybe this is the issue?

Anyways even when set to 120hz and I do ufo test there is noticable cross talk with pure XP enabled on this XG2431 both light and extreme same with 240hz but on 240hz it seems to be less.

Is there an rtings equivalent UFO test with the rtings logo that I can use to test to ensure my monitor atleast matches up to their logo test results? the best I could find was a youtube video of rtings logo moving and when i set to single strobe 60hz sure enough there is no cross talk, I wonder if blurr buster ufo is harder to render which is what is causing the noticable cross talk even at 120hz? it only ever reallyu goes away with ultra setting

Any help in configuring my monitor is greatly appreciated
Have you done the large vertical totals trick to reduce the crosstalk?

Triwq

Post by Triwq » 28 Aug 2022, 16:26

Monitor arrived today and am using purexp at ultra and capping fps at 240. At what point should I try to make a custom preset? The brightness is fairly low but is usable for me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Aug 2022, 23:33

Triwq wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:26
Monitor arrived today and am using purexp at ultra and capping fps at 240. At what point should I try to make a custom preset? The brightness is fairly low but is usable for me.
The 240 Hz is already pre-calibrated to the baseline XG2431 panel.

More major improvements with a custom preset usually occurs with custom modes (e.g. custom Hz modes, QFT modes, lower Hz modes for reduced crosstalk, etc) but you can attempt to improve upon the factory tuning via instructions at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 -- For 240Hz max-Hz, you may or may not get improvement at 240Hz, depending on factory manufacturing variances, as well as panel temperature. But you can try and see if you get any better quality (less strobe crosstalk).

More dramatic strobing improvements will occur with modes other than 240Hz, such as custom 120Hz Quick Frame Transport modes (120Hz refresh cycles delivered in 1/240sec, with an unusually large blanking interval between refresh cycles to hide LCD GtG pixel transitions better).

If you use low-Hz (emulators) or low-framerate (e.g. can't reach 240fps) apps, you will usually get much better casual gaming enjoyment with a better-quality ~120fps ~120Hz QFT PureXP Custom mode than a stuttery double-imagey ~100-150fps 240Hz (any PureXP) mode. The blanking interval time available between 240Hz refresh cycles is too tight to be zero-crosstalk for top/center/bottom on any panel, be it TN, IPS, or VA -- even if XG2431 has been tested by some reviewers to be one of the lower crosstalk 240Hz IPS panels!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!