ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
oneils

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by oneils » 02 Sep 2022, 11:42

Hello. Me again. So far I really like this monitor. I have been playing Warzone, MW2019, Black Ops Cold War and Vanguard for the last few days. I have a gtx 1070.

I have been using Pure XP normal during the day and Pure XP Extreme/Ultra at night.

I ran a few benchmarks and have found that my avg fps is around 120fps (1080p low settings) and the 1% low is around 68 with the "minimum" in the 80s.

Because of this, I run the monitor at 100hz (gsync is off by default) with vsync off.

Would it also make sense to cap the frame rate at 100 or so?

edit: I did end up capping the framerate. I noticed that gpu load was at round 99% when I had 1080p medium. So I had changed it to low settings. Capping the framerate also helps with the gpu load. Since I am playing with Pure XP on and VRR off, it seems to help quite a bit.
Last edited by oneils on 05 Sep 2022, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Euxxy_Menidez88

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Euxxy_Menidez88 » 04 Sep 2022, 10:44

Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 12:12
I made an account just to ask this since Mark seems to directly answer questions on here and I can't find any information about this online, so I would appreciate if anyone's able to offer me any insight. I'm not any sort of enthusiast and I don't frequent these forums or know too much about motion blur/ghosting or the technology behind it, but coming from simply a consumers perspective, and from someone who plays games somewhat competitively, I'm personally very sensitive to ghosting on monitors or any sort of distortion in image quality.

Since my old Benq 144hz TN panel broke I've been looking for a replacement for months now and through research, watching countless youtube reviews and my own testing, I've decided the XG2431 is the perfect monitor for what I'm looking for, an IPS panel unapologetically focused on performance.

But to keep a really long story short, I'm up to purchasing my 4th IPS panel now as I've already purchased 3 and returned all of them due to their ghosting and general "blur" with several issues I didn't even know existed coming from a TN panel. Such as their backlight strobing modes just looking embarrassingly bad, (yes I capped fps at the refresh rate), so bad that I don't know why they would add the feature to begin with when it very clearly shows doubles and triples of the image, and with strobing off just using the basic overdrive modes (AMA for Benq for example) when I would turn this setting above 1, the picture would not only distort but also pixelate, as in become little squares while scrolling on web pages/moving my camera in games. Very minor and perhaps most people won't notice/care, but surely this isn't normal? Testing the same settings on a 144hz Benq TN panel gave me mind-blowing results of motion clarity. So, from thinking the monitors must be broken/to trying different brands and returning all of them, I ended up here at the XG2431, which is actually similarly priced to the 165/144hz options I've been testing and the only IPS in the world that can apparently live up to the performance of a TN, but this will definitely be the last stop before I give up and go back to TN panels. I say the only IPS in the world, because I also understand that higher hertz does not guarantee good ghosting/motion clarity. 240hz feels "smooth" enough, and my priority now is motion clarity alone.

In saying that, the question I have about this monitor is, is this really the only IPS currently on the market that can reach this level of performance? And do you think the XG2431 will suffice for a very fussy TN user or will those problems I just mentioned persist in every IPS panel?

What about the new Elite series from Viewsonic?

This monitor for example - https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG250

The Viewsonic XG250, is that basically just a better version of the XG2431? Though that monitor is not being sold in Australia right now, is there any point for me not to wait for that monitor to be sold as a 24.5 inch variant with an overclockable extra 40hz?

I know it's not "blurbusters approved", but surely they've made that with the same tech/knowledge you collaborated them with? Would you say they're exactly the same, or is the 23.8 inch panel of the XG2431 still better at speed and clarity? I know Mark says that he's really just focused on perfecting "strobing" but if you look at tests done with strobing off versus even the Benq XL2546K, the clarity with strobing off is still superior to any IPS I've seen and on par with the TN.

Which is why I'm wondering if the XG250 will be a viable option, with the same performance? Because I really would prefer that extra inch and frames, why not, right? But of course not at the sacrifice of any performance.

Speaking of Blurbusters approved", do any other monitors exist with that approval, or just the XG2431? I saw some were coming from a year ago? But I don't see any.

I'll mainly be using the monitor in normal overdrive modes which it still seems to excel at over any other monitor, but I would like the option of strobing for when I need it.

Apologies if the questions are amateur and for the long write up, I just don't upgrade monitors until I have to once I make the right decision. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and if you have any better suggestions I didn't mention here for what I'm looking for please feel free to advise me.
Wondering if I can get a reply on this post Chief? Still haven't bought another monitor and I'm currently on a painful 60hz. I'll make a TL;DR version:

-Is the Viewsonic XG250 a better version of the XG2431? With the same strobing performance as well as motion clarity with strobing off in normal Overdrive modes?

-With strobing off, are IPS panels even up to speed of TN panels? If I'm prioritizing just motion clarity alone, would you say they're identical? I've seen a lot of dissent on this subject, some say there's still a much more perceivable "blur" to IPS that TN's don't have, don't know who to believe.

-Are there any other blurbuster approved monitors currently on the market or in the works and if so are you able to say which brands or approximate release dates?

-If you have time to read the first half of my post, do you have any idea what pixelation/distortion effect I'm talking about when I turn on Benq's overdrive AMA mode? I've asked technicians and have written to benq themselves and they say I'd need to send in the monitor itself for them to test it which is way too much effort and will also void the window of warranty, I just want to know if it's something common with IPS, or somehow something on my side like a faulty HDMI port, etc.

-What would the best monitor be for ghosting if I'm going to have strobing off for the majority of the time, or any other advice you have from what I've described?

Hope that was a little more concise and digestible.

Thanks.

cadavre

Post by cadavre » 13 Sep 2022, 16:36

Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 10:44
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 12:12
I made an account just to ask this since Mark seems to directly answer questions on here and I can't find any information about this online, so I would appreciate if anyone's able to offer me any insight. I'm not any sort of enthusiast and I don't frequent these forums or know too much about motion blur/ghosting or the technology behind it, but coming from simply a consumers perspective, and from someone who plays games somewhat competitively, I'm personally very sensitive to ghosting on monitors or any sort of distortion in image quality.

Since my old Benq 144hz TN panel broke I've been looking for a replacement for months now and through research, watching countless youtube reviews and my own testing, I've decided the XG2431 is the perfect monitor for what I'm looking for, an IPS panel unapologetically focused on performance.

But to keep a really long story short, I'm up to purchasing my 4th IPS panel now as I've already purchased 3 and returned all of them due to their ghosting and general "blur" with several issues I didn't even know existed coming from a TN panel. Such as their backlight strobing modes just looking embarrassingly bad, (yes I capped fps at the refresh rate), so bad that I don't know why they would add the feature to begin with when it very clearly shows doubles and triples of the image, and with strobing off just using the basic overdrive modes (AMA for Benq for example) when I would turn this setting above 1, the picture would not only distort but also pixelate, as in become little squares while scrolling on web pages/moving my camera in games. Very minor and perhaps most people won't notice/care, but surely this isn't normal? Testing the same settings on a 144hz Benq TN panel gave me mind-blowing results of motion clarity. So, from thinking the monitors must be broken/to trying different brands and returning all of them, I ended up here at the XG2431, which is actually similarly priced to the 165/144hz options I've been testing and the only IPS in the world that can apparently live up to the performance of a TN, but this will definitely be the last stop before I give up and go back to TN panels. I say the only IPS in the world, because I also understand that higher hertz does not guarantee good ghosting/motion clarity. 240hz feels "smooth" enough, and my priority now is motion clarity alone.

In saying that, the question I have about this monitor is, is this really the only IPS currently on the market that can reach this level of performance? And do you think the XG2431 will suffice for a very fussy TN user or will those problems I just mentioned persist in every IPS panel?

What about the new Elite series from Viewsonic?

This monitor for example - https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG250

The Viewsonic XG250, is that basically just a better version of the XG2431? Though that monitor is not being sold in Australia right now, is there any point for me not to wait for that monitor to be sold as a 24.5 inch variant with an overclockable extra 40hz?

I know it's not "blurbusters approved", but surely they've made that with the same tech/knowledge you collaborated them with? Would you say they're exactly the same, or is the 23.8 inch panel of the XG2431 still better at speed and clarity? I know Mark says that he's really just focused on perfecting "strobing" but if you look at tests done with strobing off versus even the Benq XL2546K, the clarity with strobing off is still superior to any IPS I've seen and on par with the TN.

Which is why I'm wondering if the XG250 will be a viable option, with the same performance? Because I really would prefer that extra inch and frames, why not, right? But of course not at the sacrifice of any performance.

Speaking of Blurbusters approved", do any other monitors exist with that approval, or just the XG2431? I saw some were coming from a year ago? But I don't see any.

I'll mainly be using the monitor in normal overdrive modes which it still seems to excel at over any other monitor, but I would like the option of strobing for when I need it.

Apologies if the questions are amateur and for the long write up, I just don't upgrade monitors until I have to once I make the right decision. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and if you have any better suggestions I didn't mention here for what I'm looking for please feel free to advise me.
Wondering if I can get a reply on this post Chief? Still haven't bought another monitor and I'm currently on a painful 60hz. I'll make a TL;DR version:

-Is the Viewsonic XG250 a better version of the XG2431? With the same strobing performance as well as motion clarity with strobing off in normal Overdrive modes?

-With strobing off, are IPS panels even up to speed of TN panels? If I'm prioritizing just motion clarity alone, would you say they're identical? I've seen a lot of dissent on this subject, some say there's still a much more perceivable "blur" to IPS that TN's don't have, don't know who to believe.

-Are there any other blurbuster approved monitors currently on the market or in the works and if so are you able to say which brands or approximate release dates?

-If you have time to read the first half of my post, do you have any idea what pixelation/distortion effect I'm talking about when I turn on Benq's overdrive AMA mode? I've asked technicians and have written to benq themselves and they say I'd need to send in the monitor itself for them to test it which is way too much effort and will also void the window of warranty, I just want to know if it's something common with IPS, or somehow something on my side like a faulty HDMI port, etc.

-What would the best monitor be for ghosting if I'm going to have strobing off for the majority of the time, or any other advice you have from what I've described?

Hope that was a little more concise and digestible.

Thanks.
I'm new to this site too and I hope the post I'm replying to receives a response. I've been wanting to upgrade my monitor because of the terrible artifacting it sometimes gets. I was wondering if the XG250 is a straight upgrade to the XG2431. I'm fine with buying the XG2431 but might prefer the XG250 if it preforms the same but with the addition of the overclock, size increase and g sync compatibility (I have a nvidia graphics card and it would be better for me than freesync). (Also worth mentioning the XG250 is currently on sale on amazon for $100 cheaper than the XG2431).

Upon researching the two monitors I found lots of praise around the XG2431 but almost nothing regarding the XG250, which lead me to this forum.

I wanted to make my post short and concise from the perspective as a buyer who is unsure which monitor I should purchase.

Thank you all for reading

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 19:28

Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
If you use strobing, the XG2431 can get better than both TN and IPS if you do all 5 tricks at the same time:
1. Quick Frame Transport to reduce crosstalk
2. Refresh rate headroom (e.g. 60-120Hz instead of 240Hz) to reduce crosstalk
3. ViewSonic Strobe Utility re-calibration for PureXP Custom using instructions at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

For non-strobed, blur is nowadays practically identical between 240Hz TN and 240Hz FastIPS (more or less), especially on specimens such as XG2431.
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
Are there any other blurbuster approved monitors currently on the market or in the works and if so are you able to say which brands or approximate release dates?
Not yet. The pandemic really throw it off the rails, so I may have to relaunch. However, there are some works in the pipeline. That being said, XG250 is not Blur Busters Certified, and it is currently unable to have better strobe quality than XG2431 due to its unfortunate lack of support for Strobe Utility.
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
If you have time to read the first half of my post, do you have any idea what pixelation/distortion effect I'm talking about when I turn on Benq's overdrive AMA mode?
It might be a defect if it looks different from LCD Motion Artifacts FAQ or LCD Overdrive FAQ

It's hard to say without a video (use your hand to pan your smartphone along www.testufo.com/ghosting while recording video...)
I thought you might have been thinking of LCD inversion artifacts, but overdrive should not affect it much. But it could.
Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3629
Sometimes panel lottery affects this (try another unit).
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
I just want to know if it's something common with IPS
Hard to say without more info.
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
or somehow something on my side like a faulty HDMI port, etc.
Nope.
Euxxy_Menidez88 wrote:
What would the best monitor be for ghosting if I'm going to have strobing off for the majority of the time, or any other advice you have from what I've described?
You posted in the XG2431 thread, so duh. Try it? However, if you want to replace your BenQ, it might solve the problem depending on if it's a strange artifact that is RMA-able issue (not normal minor inversion artifact, not normal ghosting, not normal overdrive coronas)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 19:30

cadavre wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 16:36
I'm new to this site too and I hope the post I'm replying to receives a response. I've been wanting to upgrade my monitor because of the terrible artifacting it sometimes gets. I was wondering if the XG250 is a straight upgrade to the XG2431. I'm fine with buying the XG2431 but might prefer the XG250 if it preforms the same but with the addition of the overclock, size increase and g sync compatibility (I have a nvidia graphics card and it would be better for me than freesync). (Also worth mentioning the XG250 is currently on sale on amazon for $100 cheaper than the XG2431).
XG250 does not have a Blur Busters Approved strobe backlight. You'll get better results with a Strobe Utility retuned XG2431.

If not using strobing, XG250 and XG2431 is practically identical in motion blur AFAIK. If you're not using PureXP, then go with the size you want.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 19:32

oneils wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 11:42
Because of this, I run the monitor at 100hz (gsync is off by default) with vsync off.

Would it also make sense to cap the frame rate at 100 or so?

edit: I did end up capping the framerate. I noticed that gpu load was at round 99% when I had 1080p medium. So I had changed it to low settings. Capping the framerate also helps with the gpu load. Since I am playing with Pure XP on and VRR off, it seems to help quite a bit.
Framerate=Hz is the best way to experience jitter-free strobing, especially when combined with a 2000Hz+ mouse configured to quadruple-digit DPI.

You can also use RTSS Scanline Sync for a superior capping experience. It's a special tearingless VSYNC OFF that is essentially a near-nearly lagless VSYNC ON clone. But it gobbles a lot of GPU horsepower to achieve, because it forces the GPU from asynchronous processing to synchronous processing, so mainly recommended if you can maintain framerate=Hz at roughly 50% GPU load average.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 19:37

Great news!
ToastyX now has an easy Large Vertical Total / QFT creator!

Easy large vertical totals that just works automatically.
Less strobe crosstalk for PureXP than factory! Create a better "PureXP Custom" mode for your sub-240Hz modes.

Thread about new ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility with Vertical Total Calculator

No YouTuber and no reviewer has ever reviewed QFT-based strobe crosstalk reductions. Get less crosstalk than the manufacturer, reviewers, and youtubers could. It's quite unfortunate I have to keep educating people about QFT, but ToastyX just gave a gift from the gods.

Several users online (one user recently) successfully got a perfectly crosstalk-free 60Hz and 85Hz mode. Zero crosstalk for even top and bottom edges!

Jacqli

Post by Jacqli » 13 Sep 2022, 22:26

Hello Chief. I will be ordering XG2431 soon (within the next 2 months) from US to Europe. I've been reading huge chunks of this thread and I just wanted to ask some basic questions on how I should be using this monitor. Please understand that I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology used in this forum, and that I am not very experienced. I also apologize if those questions were answered somewhere in this thread before. This thread is just enourmous.

Most of my questions are centered around custom resolutions + Large Vertical Total, Vsync/Gsync, and general usage of the monitor. Please forgive me for this long list, but I want to learn how to use this monitor properly.

1) Is the purpose of custom resolutions + Large Vertical Total to reduce ghosting (=crosstalk?) at the top and bottom of the monitor?
2) What's the max refresh rate that works well with Large Vertical Total (LVT)?
3) What are the recommended refresh ranges when using LVT?
4) If I'm using a custom resolution with LVT, should I be playing games with Vsync ON + Gsync ON? Or both off? My top priority is 0 tearing, and my close 2nd priority is low ghosting + low input lag.
5) If I'm just using 240hz without custom resolutions, should I be using Vsync ON + Gsync ON? Or both off?
6) Should I be using DP1.4 cable or HDMI2.0 cable with this monitor? My GPU supports both.
7) Should I be playing games in fullscreen or fullscreen windowed?
8) Should I ever be using utilities like Rivatuner to cap my fps? If yes, then 1% below refresh rate of monitor?
9) If I'm playing a game that oscillates heavily between 100fps and 240fps, should I be using something like a custom resolution with 120hz + LVT? Or stick with normal 240hz mode?
10) When watching anime at ~24fps (don't remember exact fps value), what settings are recommended for this monitor?

Thanks in advance for your time, and thanks for being patient with my ignorance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Sep 2022, 13:00

Jacqli wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 22:26
1) Is the purpose of custom resolutions + Large Vertical Total to reduce ghosting (=crosstalk?) at the top and bottom of the monitor?
4) If I'm using a custom resolution with LVT, should I be playing games with Vsync ON + Gsync ON? Or both off? My top priority is 0 tearing, and my close 2nd priority is low ghosting + low input lag.
5) If I'm just using 240hz without custom resolutions, should I be using Vsync ON + Gsync ON? Or both off?
6) Should I be using DP1.4 cable or HDMI2.0 cable with this monitor? My GPU supports both.
8) Should I ever be using utilities like Rivatuner to cap my fps? If yes, then 1% below refresh rate of monitor?
9) If I'm playing a game that oscillates heavily between 100fps and 240fps, should I be using something like a custom resolution with 120hz + LVT? Or stick with normal 240hz mode?
10) When watching anime at ~24fps (don't remember exact fps value), what settings are recommended for this monitor?
Several questions are (directly,indirectly) answered fuller in several posts in the links I posted, so I will be brief:

But in the meantime.
1) Large VTs (QFT) does two birds with one stone on XG2431. Reduces strobe lag AND reduces strobe crosstalk!
2) Any refresh rate below 240Hz works. It's just a continuum of ever-better motion quality at ever-lower Hz, incrementally. You have no QFT headroom at max Hz, but QFT headroom increases the lower Hz you go, and strobe crosstalk decreases becomes more and more dramatic the lower the Hz you go.
3) For virtually zero crosstalk top/center/bottom, 60-100Hz. For better-than-factory, all refresh rates. e.g. 177Hz QFT+retuned looks better than 177Hz factory PureXP. Many peoples' sweet spot is often 120Hz VT2250
4) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job. Depends if you're prioritizing for lag or prioritizing for quality. Details already answered elsewhere. Quality requires framerate=Hz by any method (VSYNC ON, or RTSS S-Sync, or NULL)
5) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job.
6) XG2431 supports 240Hz with both
7) Ideally fullscreen, but Right Tool For Right Job
8) RTSS Scanline Sync is a superior method of creating a "ultra low lag VSYNC ON clone" with similar lag to VSYNC OFF, if you're prioritizing on jitter-free strobing. Sometimes removing panning stutter/jitter gives you a competitive advantage in RTSS panning (e.g. DOTA2).
9) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job.
10) Multiple methods are possible. Use a multiple of 24 like 120Hz-240Hz, or switch to 24Hz, or try using a VRR-compatible player (e.g. SMPlayer running in fullscreen mode, configured appropriately). For VRR, enable VRR, and use a video player that automatically syncs your VRR/FreeSync/G-SYNC to the video frame rate. This is good for very odd frame rate material. Alternatively, determine the file's frame rate and switch refresh rates as needed.

birdbot

Post by birdbot » 17 Sep 2022, 13:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 13:00
Jacqli wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 22:26
Several questions are (directly,indirectly) answered fuller in several posts in the links I posted, so I will be brief:

But in the meantime.
1) Large VTs (QFT) does two birds with one stone on XG2431. Reduces strobe lag AND reduces strobe crosstalk!
2) Any refresh rate below 240Hz works. It's just a continuum of ever-better motion quality at ever-lower Hz, incrementally. You have no QFT headroom at max Hz, but QFT headroom increases the lower Hz you go, and strobe crosstalk decreases becomes more and more dramatic the lower the Hz you go.
3) For virtually zero crosstalk top/center/bottom, 60-100Hz. For better-than-factory, all refresh rates. e.g. 177Hz QFT+retuned looks better than 177Hz factory PureXP. Many peoples' sweet spot is often 120Hz VT2250
4) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job. Depends if you're prioritizing for lag or prioritizing for quality. Details already answered elsewhere. Quality requires framerate=Hz by any method (VSYNC ON, or RTSS S-Sync, or NULL)
5) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job.
6) XG2431 supports 240Hz with both
7) Ideally fullscreen, but Right Tool For Right Job
8) RTSS Scanline Sync is a superior method of creating a "ultra low lag VSYNC ON clone" with similar lag to VSYNC OFF, if you're prioritizing on jitter-free strobing. Sometimes removing panning stutter/jitter gives you a competitive advantage in RTSS panning (e.g. DOTA2).
9) Depends. Right Tool For Right Job.
10) Multiple methods are possible. Use a multiple of 24 like 120Hz-240Hz, or switch to 24Hz, or try using a VRR-compatible player (e.g. SMPlayer running in fullscreen mode, configured appropriately). For VRR, enable VRR, and use a video player that automatically syncs your VRR/FreeSync/G-SYNC to the video frame rate. This is good for very odd frame rate material. Alternatively, determine the file's frame rate and switch refresh rates as needed.
Considering all of this, is there a 1440p monitor that gets close to XG2431's peak motion clarity? I sold my old Viewsonic XG2703-gs and bought a XG2431, and while the motion clarity improvement is definitely there, I feel something is lost going from 1440p down to 1080p.

Just wondering if I should take advantage of all of the advice you have listed vs opting for a 1440p monitor.