ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
xaerock

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by xaerock » 18 Sep 2022, 13:31

Imported one of these to Finland last week. Arrived with no issues. Very happy with the purchase so far and definitely replacing my old XL2411.

60hz with QFT and custom strobing with Scanline/Latent Sync looks superb. As there is no crosstalk and basically no blur I'd say the XG2431 is better than a CRT for games locked to 60hz and reasonably scalable to 1080p. I guess OLEDs are the only competition.

Freedom Planet 2 (2D Sonic kind of game) personally felt better to play at 60hz than above because the image is just that clean. Monster Hunter Rise looks amazing at 60hz (RE Engine game, so great built-in antialiasing as well), Racing games and similar at 120hz also seemed excellent. You don't need a beefy PC to drive these framerates so this monitor works at all ends. Of course consoles are an ideal use case with 60-120hz motion performance being so good but they cant utilize QFT to make full use of the panel, a lot of crosstalk and delay is left on the table. I was also surprised how clean the stock 240hz setting looks with PureXP only set to Light.

I've used CRTs as my main monitor for most of my life. I'm getting a little more eye strain in comparison, but barely. Part of the strain is using high brightness, more vivid colors and in a game simply seeing more detail in the image is more for your brain to process. Some content/games have very busy textures and feel like they're designed for blurry displays. It's easy to forget how the limitations of 60hz actually look in fast motion because the frames blur together on sample and hold displays.

Only thing lacking is a way to do QFT on consoles really. Maybe there's a way to hack a video converter or capture device to send signal to the display with a custom vertical total? Could be great if doable on a MiSTER as well. Of course you could use a capture card to pass the image to a PC, but I think even the best devices add 30ms of delay. Which is fine for slow paced games but arguably not worth the input delay cost for fast ones.

The anti-glare coating on the display seems very strong. I wonder how much brighter the glossy display mod posted earlier in this thread can run.

Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread, but being able to send command line commands to the strobe utility would be a great feature. eg. "StrobeUtility.exe -monitor XG2431 -custom 18 83 5" to update your strobe setting to 60hz QFT. It's already a great piece of software for tweaking (also with PureXP as a quick brightness setting), but in practice you have to tweak it whenever you switch hz and pull the numbers from your notes. With command line it would be easy to make simple scripts to simultaneously switch resolution and update custom strobe setting and save your settings this way. That'd be fairly easy to integrate into emulator setups as well.

jcdenton1993

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by jcdenton1993 » 25 Sep 2022, 01:33

kyube wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 07:04
Discorz wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:01
Boomchakadah wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 17:11
I found how to access the service menu. I had to press and hold the middle menu button (There are 5 menu buttons). Unfortunately, there is no indication of how long the backlight has been running.

20220421_173200.jpg
Nice, a panel confirmation. XG2431 uses BOE MV238FHM-NG2. Same as AOC 24G2ZU.

Those are some interesting settings to play around in there.
Why was Chief claiming that the Viewsonic has a Innolux panel instead? Always thought the XG2431 had a different panel compared to the rest of the 23.8" 240hz monitors.
BOE and Innolux aren't related iirc? Or has Viewsonic changed up the panel between newer / older units? We need more confirmations!
Well that's a huge bummer. Can anyone here kindly shed some light on this. The specs for the older BOE MV238FHM-NG2 and the Innolux panel that this monitor was supposedly having are most likely different. In case the panel supplier was switched from Innolux to BOE due to panel shortages it should have ideally been conveyed.

Lots of early reviews for the XG2431 praise the panel qualities (even without strobing) but all that is not valid anymore if its suddenly a different (and possibly inferior) panel altogether in the newer units.

kyube

Post by kyube » 25 Sep 2022, 14:40

jcdenton1993 wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 01:33
kyube wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 07:04
Discorz wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:01
Boomchakadah wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 17:11
I found how to access the service menu. I had to press and hold the middle menu button (There are 5 menu buttons). Unfortunately, there is no indication of how long the backlight has been running.

20220421_173200.jpg
Nice, a panel confirmation. XG2431 uses BOE MV238FHM-NG2. Same as AOC 24G2ZU.

Those are some interesting settings to play around in there.
Why was Chief claiming that the Viewsonic has a Innolux panel instead? Always thought the XG2431 had a different panel compared to the rest of the 23.8" 240hz monitors.
BOE and Innolux aren't related iirc? Or has Viewsonic changed up the panel between newer / older units? We need more confirmations!
Well that's a huge bummer. Can anyone here kindly shed some light on this. The specs for the older BOE MV238FHM-NG2 and the Innolux panel that this monitor was supposedly having are most likely different. In case the panel supplier was switched from Innolux to BOE due to panel shortages it should have ideally been conveyed.

Lots of early reviews for the XG2431 praise the panel qualities (even without strobing) but all that is not valid anymore if its suddenly a different (and possibly inferior) panel altogether in the newer units.
You quoted a reply from April 22nd, where info was scarce on the monitor and it's panel...
It was a communication error, there is no AUO or Innolux 23.8" 240hz IPS panel, it's just BOE for the XG2431. The panel is the same and has stayed the same all this time. Don't spread misinformation.

jcdenton1993

Post by jcdenton1993 » 25 Sep 2022, 15:42

Firstly, my bad if the query I posted about the panel came off as a unfair assessment of the situation. Its just that the blur busters expert who has been posting here frequently and helping out so many folks, (very cool of him I must say) said its innolux along with some leading youtube reviewers so I gave weight to their word.

But anyways, for what its aiming to do, that being motion blur reduction, the XG2431 is an absolute beast. Mine arrived earlier today and it feels like a CRT with the right settings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Sep 2022, 19:15

kyube wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 14:40
You quoted a reply from April 22nd, where info was scarce on the monitor and it's panel...
It was a communication error, there is no AUO or Innolux 23.8" 240hz IPS panel, it's just BOE for the XG2431. The panel is the same and has stayed the same all this time. Don't spread misinformation.
Yes, communication error. Someone told me it was Innolux, and that person was mistaken.

We did not disassemble the prototype XG2431's (DVT, EVT) to confirm panel manufacturer, so apologies about that. Also, the early factory menu of my prototypes were pretty different and didn't show panel info yet.

However, from what I saw in person at DisplayWeek, I can see that BOE LCD panels are generally extremely fast -- they are the manufacturer of the 500 Hz panels now. I don't see BOE panels as being inferior, motion-quality-wise from what I witnessed. LCD being LCD, they need a ton of overdrive tuning for crosstalk-free operation.

Upon looking at my retail XG2431, my service menu definitely says BOE (thanks for the suggestion to peek at the factory menu again on newer units), and the strobe tuning is no worse. So it seems to have always been BOE all along, and no quality change is observed. The panel lottery still applies, but that's often fixable via minor offsets to strobe tuning (e.g. slightly stronger/weaker OD Gain to compensate for minor GtG differences between factory runs of the panel motherglass -- strobing amplifies sub-millisecond GtG differences between panels).

I apologize for the accidental contribution to Innolux-vs-BOE confusion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Sep 2022, 19:21

xaerock wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 13:31
Imported one of these to Finland last week. Arrived with no issues. Very happy with the purchase so far and definitely replacing my old XL2411.

60hz with QFT and custom strobing with Scanline/Latent Sync looks superb. As there is no crosstalk and basically no blur I'd say the XG2431 is better than a CRT for games locked to 60hz and reasonably scalable to 1080p. I guess OLEDs are the only competition.
Fantastic compliment. QFT definitely massively improves the XG2431, and I wish QFT was more widely tested by reviewers.

Your command line suggestion is noted -- I've added it to the feature-requests list.
jcdenton1993 wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 15:42
But anyways, for what its aiming to do, that being motion blur reduction, the XG2431 is an absolute beast. Mine arrived earlier today and it feels like a CRT with the right settings.
Want to share your settings?

Do you use the new QFT feature of ToastyX (Vertical Total Calculator)?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jcdenton1993

Post by jcdenton1993 » 27 Sep 2022, 00:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 19:21
jcdenton1993 wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 15:42
Want to share your settings?

Do you use the new QFT feature of ToastyX (Vertical Total Calculator)?
Hello there :) I'm on PureXP=extreme, refresh=120Hz and freesync=off, vsync=on in AMD panel. I haven't fine tuned the strobing with that tool yet as I suppose it'll be better if I first let the panel run near max brightness for today. As for ToastyX, I don't even know what that is haha.

I wanted high motion clarity, started reading several forums last week, chose this over the zowie (Mr. Optimum tech on youtube made a convincing argument) and presently I'm just reading further to figure out if there's any other setting to enhance motion clarity @120Hz aside from the strobing tool. Its reminding me of my old and gold samsung syncmaster crt already!

thoardenguden

Post by thoardenguden » 27 Sep 2022, 08:37

Was there ever a definitive answer regarding if this will be available in the EU or not? :mrgreen:
If not, what would be a good alternative (1080p, 24", 240hz)?

kt1

Post by kt1 » 03 Oct 2022, 16:48

Interested in the monitor blur chief. Can you elaborate if the strobing/ motion clarity has any impact on 24fps movies ?

MLGBigSmoke35

Post by MLGBigSmoke35 » 06 Oct 2022, 16:09

xaerock wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 13:31

Freedom Planet 2 (2D Sonic kind of game) personally felt better to play at 60hz than above because the image is just that clean. Monster Hunter Rise looks amazing at 60hz (RE Engine game, so great built-in antialiasing as well), Racing games and similar at 120hz also seemed excellent. You don't need a beefy PC to drive these framerates so this monitor works at all ends. Of course consoles are an ideal use case with 60-120hz motion performance being so good but they cant utilize QFT to make full use of the panel, a lot of crosstalk and delay is left on the table. I was also surprised how clean the stock 240hz setting looks with PureXP only set to Light.

I've used CRTs as my main monitor for most of my life. I'm getting a little more eye strain in comparison, but barely. Part of the strain is using high brightness, more vivid colors and in a game simply seeing more detail in the image is more for your brain to process. Some content/games have very busy textures and feel like they're designed for blurry displays. It's easy to forget how the limitations of 60hz actually look in fast motion because the frames blur together on sample and hold displays.

Only thing lacking is a way to do QFT on consoles really. Maybe there's a way to hack a video converter or capture device to send signal to the display with a custom vertical total? Could be great if doable on a MiSTER as well. Of course you could use a capture card to pass the image to a PC, but I think even the best devices add 30ms of delay. Which is fine for slow paced games but arguably not worth the input delay cost for fast ones.

The anti-glare coating on the display seems very strong. I wonder how much brighter the glossy display mod posted earlier in this thread can run.

Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread, but being able to send command line commands to the strobe utility would be a great feature. eg. "StrobeUtility.exe -monitor XG2431 -custom 18 83 5" to update your strobe setting to 60hz QFT. It's already a great piece of software for tweaking (also with PureXP as a quick brightness setting), but in practice you have to tweak it whenever you switch hz and pull the numbers from your notes. With command line it would be easy to make simple scripts to simultaneously switch resolution and update custom strobe setting and save your settings this way. That'd be fairly easy to integrate into emulator setups as well.
Would you mind telling me the settings you've used at 60hz? In the blurbusters tool.