ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by Discorz » 19 Apr 2021, 07:14

69 votes for the XG2431, nice :D
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

SaberEdge

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by SaberEdge » 19 Apr 2021, 11:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 01:51
SixelAlexiS wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 04:51
Hi Chief!
I'm really curious about this monitor so I have a couple of questions, don't know if you can answer them:

-Do we know if this monitor support 4K 60HZ signals on consoles like it does the Benq EX2510?
This feature has not been tested, but I will test it within the next internal validation session (testing PVT firmware).
SixelAlexiS wrote:
Is there any approximate price range?
It is a very competitive relative to other 240 Hz IPS and top-end 240 Hz TN monitors. Not as cheap as the cheapest 240 Hz, but not the most expensive 240 Hz either.

Which is great, because this is the world’s most flexible 240 Hz strobed IPS — nothing else can do any-Hz single strobe, console+PC compatible. Making this the most console-optimized 240 Hz monitor ever (so far)
SixelAlexiS wrote:
This is too specific and probably need to wait for reviews but I try: do we know the minimum brightness value of the screen when in FreeSync/G-Sync mode? I suppose you will have lower (and adjustable) values while using ULMB or such but I'm interested on the minimum nits value without using that function.
As an expectation-setting move, nonstrobed won’t go as super-dim as a Mac monitor at 1% brightness setting. But I did get them to extend the minimum brightness range to what this particular PWM-free panel allows. Plus PureXP+ Custom also kind of solves the problem:

The good news is strobed has a much wider brightness adjustment range than XG270 when you use the “Custom” setting of PureXP. It gives you 40 notches of brightness adjustment range in the brightness-vs-clarity tradeoff of a pulse width adjustment. The dimmest strobe and the brightest strobe is a 40x brightness difference — Pulse Width 1% versus Pulse Width 40%. The moderate voltage boost means Pulse Width 40% is almost as bright as Pulse Width 100% (aka strobing = OFF).

While Pulse Width 1% is extremely dim - much dimmer than Brightness 0% of non-strobed. So you can use Strobe Utility system tray as essentially a defacto wide-range brightness adjustment by readjusting pulse width for the specific game or time of day (daytime vs nighttime). At 240 strobes per second it is sufficiently eye friendly enough to keep on permanently for many people — depending on how flicker sensitive you are (especially versus motion blur eyestrain)

This expectations-guiding move is intended to show, that some of us agree that brightness ranges (of nonstrobed) is not sufficiently wide enough in many panels — it is a hardware limitation as dimmer settings is not possible on this panel in a PWM-free mode. But conveniently PureXP+ is an optional “blur-friendly PWM mode”, wihch means you can get the panel even dimmer if you wished.

PureXP+ Custom 1% is 40x dimmer than PureXP+ Custom 40% — you’ve got a REALLY wide brightness adjustment range via PureXP+ Custom. The brightest setting I am able to get exceeds 200 nits at 40% setting (Light) at 120Hz, while the dimmest setting is 1/40th the brightness at 1% setting. Estimated production ballpark would be 200-250 nits strobing for PureXP 40% setting, with the other settings progressively dimmer. Please note, panel variances apply and reviewers will reveal the final behaviors — hopefully they haven’t tweaked the voltage boost too much between my prototype and the final. The goldilocks setting of brighter strobe without wearing out backlight LEDs. I am _pretty_ sure it will stay above 200 nits at the 40% setting.

As a very likely strobe favourite 240Hz IPS panel now — nobody else is strobing this flexibly in 240Hz IPS. Plus the bonus of low console input lag, a rarity in 240 Hz panels.
This is all truly excellent. It honestly sounds like my perfect monitor. Or, at least, the closest thing we can reasonably expect with today's technology. One thing I'm curious about is whether it can single strobe at 50Hz? I know that to many people 50Hz strobing might seem like it would be too flickery, but PAl content flickered at 50Hz on CRTs. It would be useful for that kind of content, or even for games where you can manage to maintain your framerate above 50fps but not above 60fps. I'm not sensitive to flicker and I usually sit several feet away from my monitors and use them more like little TVs than the typical desktop usage. Blur, however, really bothers me. I'm just wondering if this would be possible.

In any case, being able to single strobe at any refresh rate between 60Hz and 240Hz is already incredible. I've decided that this will be my next monitor. I'm ready to buy it. Just waiting on the formal announcement and for it to become available.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 15:19

SaberEdge wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:02
This is all truly excellent. It honestly sounds like my perfect monitor. Or, at least, the closest thing we can reasonably expect with today's technology. One thing I'm curious about is whether it can single strobe at 50Hz? I know that to many people 50Hz strobing might seem like it would be too flickery, but PAl content flickered at 50Hz on CRTs. It would be useful for that kind of content, or even for games where you can manage to maintain your framerate above 50fps but not above 60fps. I'm not sensitive to flicker and I usually sit several feet away from my monitors and use them more like little TVs than the typical desktop usage. Blur, however, really bothers me. I'm just wondering if this would be possible.
Due to a hardware limitation (the panel runs at 100Hz internally to do 50Hz), it cannot strobe 50Hz, single or double or otherwise.

I did ask if it could be done, but it was too complex in a time-delayed situation due to the low refresh rate algorithms used by many panels (internal 48/72/96/120Hz to do 24Hz signal, internal 100Hz to do 50Hz signal) which is actually now done by almost all 240Hz desktop LCDs. Low refreshing behavior often exposes artifacts only fixed by repeat refreshing on all of them (TN and IPS), so there’s a higher calling.

I love to cover the accomplishments on being able to provide such strobe flexibility, even if it, alas, does not include 50 Hz strobe. 60 Hz is easy as it’s single-scanout, but lower starts colliding with the panel’s multi-refreshing behavior at low Hz. In a manner of speaking, it is like a fixed-Hz LFC algorithm hidden in the typical monitor firmware of all brands.

Some 144 Hz and 60 Hz panels could do synchronous realtime cable-to-panel scanout at 50Hz, but it gets harder for 240Hz and 360Hz to do realtime bufferless 50Hz (cable=panel sync). Almost no 240Hz panel does synchronous low-lag 60Hz scanouts like XG2431. Hardware limitation. 50Hz was just a bit of a step too far - never have seen a 240Hz panel capable of lagless 50Hz scanouts. Yet.

(This is non-NDA stuff generic to all LCDs already covered in research papers)

50Hz Artifact-Free Single Strobe Solution For Emulators:
For 50 Hz RetroArch playing the 50 Hz PAL version of retro fast platformers like SEGA Sonic Hedgehog, there is an amazing 50 Hz single strobe workaround that works. It is by using 150Hz PureXP+ combined with the new RetroArch 2:1 software BFI (1 frame visible, 2 frames black).

150Hz strobe + RetroArch software BFI is the sweet as a single-strobe PAL 50Hz workaround that does not have artifacts or image retention. Looks as clear morion as a PAL CRT. So there’s your 50 Hz solution.

Another bonus is the 150 Hz custom mode is also Large VT compatible for Quick Frame Transport (transmit “50Hz” refreshes in 1/240sec over the video cable to strobe sooner) to reduce emulator lag!
SaberEdge wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:02
In any case, being able to single strobe at any refresh rate between 60Hz and 240Hz is already incredible. I've decided that this will be my next monitor. I'm ready to buy it. Just waiting on the formal announcement and for it to become available.
Exactly — I am as excited as you are.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 15:47

Discorz wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 07:14
69 votes for the XG2431, nice :D
These look like organic votes on RTINGS Voting Page for Which Monitor To Review — the counter is increasing slowly as if they’re voted by real users. I rather have real users vote rather than bots or manufacturers. That said, it is fair game for any of you willing Blur Busters fans (who have not voted yet) to vote though because y’all are genuinely interested here. 😊

I’ve never seen votes increase that fast for an unreleased monitor. Whether 69 increases to 420 remains to be seen (to paraphrase a quirky well-known space industry mogul). RTINGs buys organically rather than receive cherrypicked samples from manufacturers.

I’m glad/relieved the preinstalled factory firmware is already Blur Busters Approved strobing. No waiting for a firmware upgrade for XG2431, unlike XG270!

One more step for me — once I get my retail unit (not prototype), I will again re-verify the factory installed the correct firmware — fingers crossed (left hand, right hand) but it is looking VERY good that no firmware update will be needed. Even I go yay!

So should result in higher early RTINGS scores for XG2431 in the strobe category (RTINGS did retest with new firmware eventually and retroactively increase the BFI score for XG270).

Might be the first-ever 10/10 RTINGS score for BFI of a 240Hz panel, who knows? I already know it’ll score higher than any BenQ 240Hz XL series because RTINGS lowers the review score of any panel that cannot do 60Hz single strobe for gaming consoles. I’m excited.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 20 Apr 2021, 03:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 15:47
These look like organic votes on RTINGS Voting Page for Which Monitor To Review — the counter is increasing slowly as if they’re voted by real users. I rather have real users vote rather than bots or manufacturers. That said, it is fair game for any of you willing Blur Busters fans (who have not voted yet) to vote though because y’all are genuinely interested here. 😊

I’ve never seen votes increase that fast for an unreleased monitor. Whether 69 increases to 420 remains to be seen (to paraphrase a quirky well-known space industry mogul). RTINGs buys organically rather than receive cherrypicked samples from manufacturers.

I’m glad/relieved the preinstalled factory firmware is already Blur Busters Approved strobing. No waiting for a firmware upgrade for XG2431, unlike XG270!

One more step for me — once I get my retail unit (not prototype), I will again re-verify the factory installed the correct firmware — fingers crossed (left hand, right hand) but it is looking VERY good that no firmware update will be needed. Even I go yay!

So should result in higher early RTINGS scores for XG2431 in the strobe category (RTINGS did retest with new firmware eventually and retroactively increase the BFI score for XG270).

Might be the first-ever 10/10 RTINGS score for BFI of a 240Hz panel, who knows? I already know it’ll score higher than any BenQ 240Hz XL series because RTINGS lowers the review score of any panel that cannot do 60Hz single strobe for gaming consoles. I’m excited.
Yes, its back to normal. Votes are still growing but very slow.

Their score numbers are a bit unrealistic, I see they gave Odyssey G7 BFI score of 9.3 and XG270 8.6 which makes no sense, not to mention XL2546K 7.3 score. They also sometimes tend to take unrepresentative BFI photos.

I just hope I can find a good quality ufo pursuit photo for strobing and crosstalk and s-a-h + overdrives on the Internet because that seems to be the most reliable demonstration of how monitor performs.

I would love to see your pursuit shots for XG2431 and I believe many others would :)
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2021, 08:40

SixelAlexiS wrote:
-Do we know if this monitor support 4K 60HZ signals on consoles like it does the Benq EX2510?
Custom test upon request: 4K works

The 4K 60 Hz is not in the EDID but I used ToasyX to force industry standard 4K 60Hz (HT4400, VT2250) to the XG2431 and..... it works!

NVIDIA Control Panel will refuse to create it, so you must create it in ToastyX using LCD Native timings

I have confirmed the monitor's scaler is capable of 4K input, and downscaling it to 1080p for the panel, so you can input 4K if your external device has a manual method (ignore EDID)

4K 60Hz also works with PureXP+ 60Hz single strobe feature, and works with PureXP+ Custom strobe tuning too. (Note: Large Vertical Totals are untested, but knowing 4K 60Hz = 1080p 240Hz bandwidth-wise, it is not likely to have very much large VT headroom. And consoles generally don't support large vertical totals).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 20 Apr 2021, 18:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 08:40
SixelAlexiS wrote:
Custom test upon request: 4K works

The 4K 60 Hz is not in the EDID but I used ToasyX to force industry standard 4K 60Hz (HT4400, VT2250) to the XG2431 and..... it works!

NVIDIA Control Panel will refuse to create it, so you must create it in ToastyX using LCD Native timings

I have confirmed the monitor's scaler is capable of 4K input, and downscaling it to 1080p for the panel, so you can input 4K if your external device has a manual method (ignore EDID)

4K 60Hz also works with PureXP+ 60Hz single strobe feature, and works with PureXP+ Custom strobe tuning too. (Note: Large Vertical Totals are untested, but knowing 4K 60Hz = 1080p 240Hz bandwidth-wise, it is not likely to have very much large VT headroom. And consoles generally don't support large vertical totals).
Very interesting.
My XL2746S accepts this resolution also. But I had to enter it like you said "Native HDTV".
Was not expecting that to work.

speancer

Post by speancer » 21 Apr 2021, 13:34

If I don't care that much about strobing or console gaming and I only play Counter-Strike, is there any reason to upgrade from VG259QM (280 Hz fastIPS) to ViewSonic XG2431? VG259QM already has - in my opinion - exceptional motion clarity, I can clearly tell a difference in blur reduction between 240 Hz and 280 Hz, I tested many monitors and this one was my pick. I use it for competitive CS:GO and play well on it. ELMB on the VG259QM is also pretty good if you ask me, but I rather see little benefit from using it in general. I guess XG2431 won't be faster enough in terms of pure GTG and input lag to make any difference to me? Also, the size of XG2431 is a letdown, 24.5" display is a already fairly small (I already sacrificed 27" 1440p to get these high Hz), why would ViewSonic go with just 23.8" size? Not sure I'd want to go even smaller :P
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 21 Apr 2021, 15:53

speancer wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 13:34
If I don't care that much about strobing or console gaming and I only play Counter-Strike, is there any reason to upgrade from VG259QM (280 Hz fastIPS) to ViewSonic XG2431? VG259QM already has - in my opinion - exceptional motion clarity, I can clearly tell a difference in blur reduction between 240 Hz and 280 Hz, I tested many monitors and this one was my pick. I use it for competitive CS:GO and play well on it. ELMB on the VG259QM is also pretty good if you ask me, but I rather see little benefit from using it in general. I guess XG2431 won't be faster enough in terms of pure GTG and input lag to make any difference to me? Also, the size of XG2431 is a letdown, 24.5" display is a already fairly small (I already sacrificed 27" 1440p to get these high Hz), why would ViewSonic go with just 23.8" size? Not sure I'd want to go even smaller :P
I think youre probably asking this question to soon since its not actually released yet. I would love to know the answer as well though, because I was actually considering the VG259QM myself. I felt like I should wait when I saw the announcement of this viewsonic xg2431 before making a decision though.

In terms of why the smaller display. It is a subjective thing, but remember something, some people actually prefer smaller displays. Why? Because the images will look more crisp and detailed on a smaller display. To each their own I guess.

It has been a good like 5+ years now but I used to game on a 22" 120hz viewsonic. I miss that monitor and would love to have a smaller display. Thats partly why I am excited to see how this viewsonic xg2431 performs. I would love to have it like an inch smaller.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2021, 11:24

Smaller displays are good in esports because many players stare only at the crosshairs and use peripheral vision to see enemies. That’s why many professional esports players love 24-25” displays instead of 27”. Some of them, are in fact, thrilled at having a 23.8” option instead of 24.5” for easier peripheral vision on smaller desks and/or near-sighted situations.

As for VG259QM, it is also a fantastic display and depending on your strobe priorities reducing Hz to get more flexible strobe may or may not be an upgrade.

While Blur Busters Approved monitors definitely will be advertised in monitor lists more often than other monitors, I don’t want to appear too biased in these forums. Rising Hz tides lifts all boats, I say!

I cannot tell you whether if it will be an upgrade or downgrade — it could be either — due to huge variances between user’s needs and desires (fixed-Hz motion blur priorities, console priorities, and many others) but I do not recommend blindly switching monitors without evaluating your priorities no matter how good I say the XG2431’s strobe. Be familiar with your needs. Even odd nuances such as being a Quake Live player and needing a 250Hz mode, or needing to use RetroArch emulator with 60Hz single strobe, can tip the scales towards the ASUS or the ViewSonic because of the unique features respectively.

Also, I should note that for console gamers, all 24.5” 240Hz IPS panels end to be 60Hz-laggier and 120Hz-laggier than 23.8” 240Hz IPS panels. But not everyone needs to play console games.

For those on fence, looking for reviews is a great idea. Reviewers will try to inform y’all the best. Blur Busters is not a mass-monitor reviewer like RTINGS — instead Blur Busters invents the tools for monitor reviewers and others tests the monitors.