ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
AM_acc1q

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by AM_acc1q » 05 Dec 2021, 16:47

Well, I found something a little disappointing today.
I was packing some stuff up and getting the USB cable out of the box, and guess what I found inside of the white foam wrapping that protects the monitor during shipment?

Not shown very well in the picture, but I think the plastic is actually cracked.
Part of me wants to RMA, but that's going to be a hassle now that everything is set up. :oops:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2021, 19:43

AM_acc1q wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 16:47
Well, I found something a little disappointing today.
I was packing some stuff up and getting the USB cable out of the box, and guess what I found inside of the white foam wrapping that protects the monitor during shipment?

[image]

Not shown very well in the picture, but I think the plastic is actually cracked.
Part of me wants to RMA, but that's going to be a hassle now that everything is set up. :oops:
Damn, shipping damage on the mouse anchor clip.

Where did you get your XG2431 from? If from Amazon, most of the fulfilled-by-Amazon RMA process is very fast and you get to get your replacement quicker if in stock. Love and hate Amazon, they do make RMA a bit less painful than many alternatives (if via fulfilled-by-Amazon and in stock).

On the other hand, they're just merely mouse cable clips. Not all of us use the clip feature (keeping it vestigal). Personally, I don’t use these mouse anchor clips, but others do.

From ViewSonic's wiki manual: manuals.viewsonic.com/XG2431_Introduction
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

isotopez

Post by isotopez » 05 Dec 2021, 20:26

Slight introduction, I have been on and off this forum a lot but haven't posted much. Appreciate everyone's dedication to making things clearer ;)

I purchased an Xg2431 a week ago. Zero dead pixels, monitor appearance is great. Colors are nice. I currently have an aw2721d as my work/desktop and needed a second monitor to replace my aging Xg2401. I have also owned an xl2546k, I cannot do TN any longer so I'll stop there.

I am a big fps fan, play apex mostly, and have some questions on how to get the most out of the clarity/tuning on this monitor. I am familiar with Toasty and have used the blurbuster utility previously on the xl2546k trying to test.

*** I cap Apex at 180fps with RTSS ( this next section is solely based off my last week trying to dial it in )

Chief,

There was supposed to be a 180hz option via windows yes??

There was mention of it auto-detecting in one of your earlier posts? I see 144hz and 240. I ask because it is my understanding ( and most of this I learned reading here ) that I can achieve the greatest performance/clarity/lowest cross-talk if I use a 180hz resolution and cap with rtss at 180hz VS running the monitor at standard 240hz and capping with rtss at 180hz?? Is that assumption correct?

Here is what is weird. I tried creating a custom 180hz in toasty and when I run that in Apex, the rtss frametime line is way way more inconsistent than if I run the standard 240hz resolution but just cap RTSS at 180hz.

I am not sure what I am missing here.

Isn't the ideal scenario for 180 since windows is not detecting:

- Create a custom 180hz resolution in toasty ( the added benefit being you can tune the tearing out with scanline since you can increase the Vertical Totals and you also get lower crosstalk....maybe I am using the wrong setting here? )

- Then use rtss scanline sync to tune the tear line out ( what negative number works best? ), set the 180hz as the windows resolution and then tune the monitor using the viewsonic blurbuster strobe utility?

I feel like something isn't working correctly when I try the 180hz resolution for this monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2021, 21:04

isotopez wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 20:26
Slight introduction, I have been on and off this forum a lot but haven't posted much. Appreciate everyone's dedication to making things clearer ;)

I purchased an Xg2431 a week ago. Zero dead pixels, monitor appearance is great. Colors are nice. I currently have an aw2721d as my work/desktop and needed a second monitor to replace my aging Xg2401. I have also owned an xl2546k, I cannot do TN any longer so I'll stop there.
[...]
I feel like something isn't working correctly when I try the 180hz resolution for this monitor.
I have determined your problem is not XG2431 related, but more EDID related (the problem happens on BenQ XL2546 too), and more RTSS Scanline Sync related.

Therefore, I have moved my reply to a brand new thread:
Am I configuring 180Hz and RTSS Scanline Sync Correctly?

If you want easy PureXP, avoid RTSS Scanline Sync and stick to the factory EDID modes. RTSS Scanline Sync is an advanced-user utility.

It's a great utility, but it's best to learn RTSS Scanline Sync generically (independently of a specific monitor model) first. The same Scanline Sync problem happens on all gaming monitors.

For missing EDID modes, they are listed in the other copy of “1920x1080” listed in NVCP. This quirk happens on many models of 240 Hz monitors. Side effect of legacy plug and play protocols -- e.g. EDID versus extended CEA-861, E-EDID, and DisplayID blocks when the monitors talks to the computer to tell the computer what resolutions and refresh rates are supported. So you have duplicate 1920x1080 listings in NVCP, each with different sets of refresh rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AM_acc1q

Post by AM_acc1q » 05 Dec 2021, 21:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 19:43
Damn, shipping damage on the mouse anchor clip.

Where did you get your XG2431 from? If from Amazon, most of the fulfilled-by-Amazon RMA process is very fast and you get to get your replacement quicker if in stock. Love and hate Amazon, they do make RMA a bit less painful than many alternatives (if via fulfilled-by-Amazon and in stock).

On the other hand, they're just merely mouse cable clips. Not all of us use the clip feature (keeping it vestigal). Personally, I don’t use these mouse anchor clips, but others do.

From ViewSonic's wiki manual: manuals.viewsonic.com/XG2431_Introduction
Amazon. That's why I'm conflicted about the RMA. I probably won't ever use the mouse clip, but it's pretty annoying on a brand new monitor and if I ever decide to sell it then that's one "ding" to the overall condition :shock:

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 06 Dec 2021, 03:55

AM_acc1q wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 21:15
Amazon. That's why I'm conflicted about the RMA. I probably won't ever use the mouse clip, but it's pretty annoying on a brand new monitor and if I ever decide to sell it then that's one "ding" to the overall condition :shock:
Pretty minor thing imo. I had this monitor for a few weeks I didnt even know those were there so....

drhadoken32

Post by drhadoken32 » 06 Dec 2021, 06:06

namcost wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 19:39
Okay boys and girls. I did some 240hz testing with the 3 overdrive modes (standard/advanced/ultrafast) and have given 10/90 times in a nice little chart....

https://imgur.com/a/8cVUkaQ
XG2431 240hz Timings 3 Overdrive Modes.png

These tests were done AFTER color calibration (using the custom color temp mode. 95 red, 95 green, 100 blue gave perfect d65 aka 6500 white point) and without using any of the flicker/strobing modes. Pure pixel response at 240hz using the 3 overdrive modes.

For color calibration, after calibration I got a measured average delta-e of 1.2 for all patches of color. Lowest average 90% was 0.5 and highest average 10% was 6.3. Maximum all patches (absolute worst) was 8.5 and maximum of the lowest 90% was 4.7.... overall not bad but not great. Considering the price of the monitor, its actually really good.

Compared to my Alienware 240hz (aw2418hf) this monitor is pretty nice. Granted the Alienware is a TN based monitor.... this IPS has interesting readings. Generally it seems the darker transitions are slower than brighter. Going to full 100% white from any starting point pretty much gave the best results. On the flip side, on my Alienware, going to full 100% white gave the slowest transition times.

My next testing will involve messing with the flicker backlight/strobing stuff. I don't think 240hz will offer a good enough picture. So far I get a double image no matter what. I might try 120hz and see if I can do "large vertical totals" to get a perfect image. If so, awesome. But so far, Nvidia only recognizes 3 modes, 100hz, 144hz, and 240hz. So I am going to have to make a custom resolution for 120hz.... which to me, seems odd. I would think all modes would show up like my Alienware. I am using a certified DP 1.4 cable from Club3d so I know that my cable is not the issue. So far, monitor seems nice, but I haven't tried gaming or watching movies/tv/anime yet. I figured I would hot drop my results as soon as I was done.

Let me know if anyone wants any other refresh rates tested for pixel response and with WHAT overdrive mode. Not really going to run through all 3 modes on every refresh rate possible, so if you have a specific combo of things, I can test it.

The tools used....

X-Rite i1Display PRO using their native software. I know some people will yelp about using Display Cal.... but in my personal testing, the stock X-Rite software gets closer to CALMAN software than Display Cal does. But CALMAN is outside my price range so I wont touch it.

PicoScope 2204a USB Oscilloscope and their native software. It can auto give me 10/90 or 20/80 times, I wish it had the ability to give me full 0-100 times. Maybe I can figure out how to add that in. The software is adaptable.

ThorLabs SM05PD1B Photodiode and using a ThorLabs SM to BNC cable.
Hello @namcost

I have a question regarding the color calibration. For Contrast, Brightness, HDR, and Black Stabilization what are the most optimal settings for color calibration?

I did what you've said:
R - 95
G - 95
B - 100

Also, can you test 128Hz PureXP Overdrive Drive gain 100?

Thanks.

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 06 Dec 2021, 12:20

Is this monitor faster then the vg258qm the tn version 280hz?

AquariusLuLu

Post by AquariusLuLu » 06 Dec 2021, 15:58

Hey I’m really curious to know if anyone has created any great settings for apex legends on console yet with this monitor if so would love to hear your settings or even any console settings would be great! Also for console users are we able to customize the monitor (strobe settings and hz settings) or is that specifically on PC users? Thanks and much appreciated.

Also if pure XP is off is this beneficial (not for motion blur of course) in regards to lowering input lag at the sacrifice of clarity? Thanks!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 06 Dec 2021, 18:23

XG2431 Pulse Width (MPRT Improvement) vs Brightness.png
XG2431 Pulse Width (MPRT Improvement) vs Brightness.png (29.05 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Last edited by Discorz on 09 Dec 2021, 11:56, edited 2 times in total.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup