ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
senboro

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by senboro » 29 Jan 2022, 05:28

Anyone here bought it with shipping to EU?
I'm scared to do that because if it comes bad then I don't even know who to write to? Amazon?

yehaw

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by yehaw » 30 Jan 2022, 19:54

I did some early impressions a few pages back. I think I'm about 2 weeks now with it and I've decided to switch full time to the XG2431 over the Omen 25X TN which is said to be one of the fastest 240hz TN. I've been comparing the two very closely over the past weeks.

+ My eyes strain is almost completely gone. I think this was some adjustment period switching panels, but it's still a very feint feeling at the end of the day still. It's much more tolerable than the first week. I think it's because this monitor has a higher base brightness, as my Omen gets very low brightness, which I used 90% of the time, outside of gaming.

+ IPS glow has improved extremely well. I'll be honest, I thought the claims of IPS glow improving over time were BS, but it actually worked. The IPS glow is non-existant on my preferred settings now. I use to have crazy bad glow on the right side, from the bottom corner past the middle of the screen! The crazy part is, I can barely see it now. Really blew my mind the improvement I saw. Even in an all black room with no lights! It's still there, but compared to other IPS glow experience I've had, this is the best IPS I've seen at handling glow. Granted, the last time I had IPS was about 8 years ago. I also think I saw Chief recommend 48 hours @ 100 brightness to let it settle completely, but I definitely saw improvements past this time period. I noticed the GLOW every day, then a few days in it disappeared and I didn't even realize until I started wondering why I was barely seeing any glow it in dark content anymore, so I tested again in paint with full black screen and the difference is night and day improvement.

Edit: See post below by Chief, this is apparently Pressure spots/LCD fluid distribution, not IPS glow.

+ Lower FPS is more clear than the Omen! I noticed going back and forth when testing low fps performance locked at 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100fps. The XG just looked better to my eyes at lower FPS. The clarity of the Omen is very good at low FPS, but I just felt like the swipes looked cleaner on the XG on lower FPS. Once I remove the cap and go uncapped to 200+ fps, the Omen seems to me to be slightly superior.

I really wish we could get a firmware upgrade to make better incremental adjustments to the menu selections. I want 1point movement for DCR, Black Stabilization, Sharpness, etc.

I think at the $300 sale price I've seen it going for, this monitor would be hard to beat on features and performance. They could have easily sold this thing for $400+ and I would have gladly paid up to around the $400 mark with tax. It's very good and not worth it anymore running TN for me. Once you game on the viewsonic for a few hours, it honestly feels just as good, if not better than the Omen, especially at lower frames and the clarity of not dealing with gamma shift.

I recommend you guys at least try it, even the hardcore latency nerds will be surprised I think.

I also wonder why the companies don't break in the IPS glow at the factory? Maybe it's something that happens when the monitor sits off for periods of time? No idea, but this monitor went from a 5/10 to a 9.2/10 in a matter of a week for me, as I really can't stand IPS glow.
Last edited by yehaw on 30 Jan 2022, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Zace

Post by Zace » 30 Jan 2022, 20:17

yehaw wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 19:54
I did some early impressions a few pages back. I think I'm about 2 weeks now with it and I've decided to switch full time to the XG2431 over the Omen 25X TN which is said to be one of the fastest 240hz TN. I've been comparing the two very closely over the past weeks.

+ My eyes strain is almost completely gone. I think this was some adjustment period switching panels, but it's still a very feint feeling at the end of the day still. It's much more tolerable than the first week. I think it's because this monitor has a higher base brightness, as my Omen gets very low brightness, which I used 90% of the time, outside of gaming.

+ IPS glow has improved extremely well. I'll be honest, I thought the claims of IPS glow improving over time were BS, but it actually worked. The IPS glow is non-existant on my preferred settings now. I use to have crazy bad glow on the right side, from the bottom corner past the middle of the screen! The crazy part is, I can barely see it now. Really blew my mind the improvement I saw. Even in an all black room with no lights! It's still there, but compared to other IPS glow experience I've had, this is the best IPS I've seen at handling glow. Granted, the last time I had IPS was about 8 years ago. I also think I saw Chief recommend 48 hours @ 100 brightness to let it settle completely, but I definitely saw improvements past this time period. I noticed the GLOW every day, then a few days in it disappeared and I didn't even realize until I started wondering why I was barely seeing any glow it in dark content anymore, so I tested again in paint with full black screen and the difference is night and day improvement.

+ Lower FPS is more clear than the Omen! I noticed going back and forth when testing low fps performance locked at 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100fps. The XG just looked better to my eyes at lower FPS. The clarity of the Omen is very good at low FPS, but I just felt like the swipes looked cleaner on the XG on lower FPS. Once I remove the cap and go uncapped to 200+ fps, the Omen seems to me to be slightly superior.

I really wish we could get a firmware upgrade to make better incremental adjustments to the menu selections. I want 1point movement for DCR, Black Stabilization, Sharpness, etc.

I think at the $300 sale price I've seen it going for, this monitor would be hard to beat on features and performance. They could have easily sold this thing for $400+ and I would have gladly paid up to around the $400 mark with tax. It's very good and not worth it anymore running TN for me. Once you game on the viewsonic for a few hours, it honestly feels just as good, if not better than the Omen, especially at lower frames and the clarity of not dealing with gamma shift.

I recommend you guys at least try it, even the hardcore latency nerds will be surprised I think.

I also wonder why the companies don't break in the IPS glow at the factory? Maybe it's something that happens when the monitor sits off for periods of time? No idea, but this monitor went from a 5/10 to a 9.2/10 in a matter of a week for me, as I really can't stand IPS glow.
Put gamma adjustment in the firmware as well

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2022, 20:27

yehaw wrote:
+ IPS glow has improved extremely well. I'll be honest, I thought the claims of IPS glow improving over time were BS, but it actually worked. The IPS glow is non-existant on my preferred settings now. I use to have crazy bad glow on the right side, from the bottom corner past the middle of the screen!
It is good to know that this issue is solved by simply burning-in the monitor for a few days.

Non-Corner Black Issues are NOT the IPS glow problem

The confusion is that there are THREE simultaneous problems with inconsistent blacks that can superimpose on each other concurrently.
  1. Backlight bleed
    - This looks like bright splotches at the very edges
    - Always nonsymmetric/nonuniform.

Cause: This is a loose LCD bezel not sealing the LCD backlight/edgelight fully. Often an RMA issue if very bad, although daring people have opened up a monitorand tightened up the metal besels around a LCD to varying successes/failures (warranty voided).
  2. Pressure spots/LCD fluid distribution
    - Often dark/bright splotchiness throughout an odd location on the screen, or screen center, or along a whole edge.
    - Usually nonsymmetric, sometimes can be uniform or nonuniform
    - Can improve over time, after freshly unboxing a monitor.

Cause: Objects pressing against the screen, or the glass panel being twisted, e.g. during shipping or storage of monitor box. It pushes the fluid (liquid) of the Liquid Crystal Display, creating nonuniformities in amount of LCD fluid in different parts of panel, creating differences in some colors/greys especially in dark screens (blacks). It’s like a finger pressing on the screen nonstop for 24/7 and takes a long time for that long-term pressure spot to fade (days of warm-up). Except it was just a piece of foam/plasticwrap/etc or the weight of the screen itself while boxed-up and shipped in all kinds of bumps and wrong box positions, etc (keep monitors stored right-side-up!)
  3. IPS Glow
    - Does not change/improve over time
    - Always corners/symmetric when viewed head-on

Cause: This is simply how IPS slightly changes contrast ratio when you view IPS off-axis. Much more visible if you view an IPS screen from up close, the corners become brighter, because when screen center is perfectly perpendicular to your eyes, the corners are not perpendicular (often viewed 5 or 10 degrees off axis)
The newbie confusion is that (A)(B)(C) is simply non-uniformities in black.
The newbie confusion is that (A)(B)(C) are simultaneously happening
The newbie confusion is that (A)(B)(C) are mis-disdiagnosed on other mere mortal forums.

*** Public Service Announcement: When other forums/twitter mislead you, please correct them that this is not IPS glow, and permalink to a Blur Busters post like this ***

Do not confuse non-changing IPS glow with changing pressure spots. Remember, pressure spots is like pressing a finger on an LCD. You can see how colors/greys distorts. When a monitor is packed, semi-permanent (24-to-72-hour) pressure spots can form because of monitor pressing against foam or a sideways shipping box causing the monitor stand to press against the LCD glass. Imagine holding a finger hard on the whole left edge of LCD for 1 week. Boom. Long-term pressure spot.

Do not confuse IPS Glow with pressure spots even though they can sometimes look identical
breakin.jpg
breakin.jpg (825 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 30 Jan 2022, 22:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 20:27
Do not confuse non-changing IPS glow with changing pressure spots. Remember, pressure spots is like pressing a finger on an LCD. You can see how colors/greys distorts. When a monitor is packed, semi-permanent (24-to-72-hour) pressure spots can form because of monitor pressing against foam or a sideways shipping box causing the monitor stand to press against the LCD glass. Imagine holding a finger hard on the whole left edge of LCD for 1 week. Boom. Long-term pressure spot.

Do not confuse IPS Glow with pressure spots even though they can sometimes look identical
I thought it was glow to be honest. So in theory would a pressure spot on top of IPS glow give the impression of worse IPS glow, giving the false impression of improvement to glow if the pressure spot cleared over time? I swear, the bottom right corner looks like a completely different monitor after a week and some days.

I remember thinking, my Dell IPS glow never improved, so that's why I had the intimal impressions of glow improving with break-in as BS in my post above.

evok99

Post by evok99 » 31 Jan 2022, 14:57

I have this monitor sitting in front of me right now, alongside my Asus TUF VG259QM with 120 OD settings enabled.

As far as total response time is concerned, the Asus TUF seems slightly faster, but that is probably a placebo effect. Has anyone done a response time analysis of the ViewSonic yet?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2022, 20:19

yehaw wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 22:54
I thought it was glow to be honest. So in theory would a pressure spot on top of IPS glow give the impression of worse IPS glow, giving the false impression of improvement to glow if the pressure spot cleared over time? I swear, the bottom right corner looks like a completely different monitor after a week and some days.

I remember thinking, my Dell IPS glow never improved, so that's why I had the intimal impressions of glow improving with break-in as BS in my post above.
That is correct.

With some panels, sometimes you have 3 superimposed multiple problems with the greys: Backlight bleed, IPS glow, and long-term pressure spots.

With other panels sometimes it's only 1 or 2 of these. It's luck of the draw, a lottery effect -- like a monitor being shipped freight cargo for weeks upsidedown or flat. Not healthy for pressure spots. Also, temperatures is sorta a fourth cause but it's in the same category as pressure spots (pressure spots fade faster at higher temperatures)

Also sometimes backlight bleed and pressures spots are sometimes caused by the same thing (metal enclosure pinching part of an edge too tightly), so they can sort of blend into each other -- but not necessarily -- can be separate causes -- backlight bleed can also be caused by loose bezels not sealing off the edgelight properly. And pressure spots can be caused by something else such as panel twisting or behind-the-screen bracket pressure, or a foam piece pressing against the screen, or shipping packaging one screen edge tighter than the other edge, etc. Shipping is very random, with some good shipping and some bad shipping, but time is the great equalizer for most mis-shipped panels.

IPS glow is generally a very distinct effect in part caused by the different viewing angle from your eyeballs to each individual pixel (IPS being a flat screen, with corners further away from the center of your vision) -- darker screen centre with equally brighter corners, in a symmetric manner when viewed perfectly center.

It's often hard to diagnose black nonuniformity issue, that's why most reviewers let monitors stabilize for a few days before testing. But some inexperienced reviewers forget to do it...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zace

Post by Zace » 01 Feb 2022, 00:09

evok99 wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 14:57
I have this monitor sitting in front of me right now, alongside my Asus TUF VG259QM with 120 OD settings enabled.

As far as total response time is concerned, the Asus TUF seems slightly faster, but that is probably a placebo effect. Has anyone done a response time analysis of the ViewSonic yet?
If you can show a video or picture comparison between the two. That’ll be a great to determine which one is faster. Also 280hz at 960pps is slower check this link for which pps you should use https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... 4/htmlview

CyCl0ne

Post by CyCl0ne » 01 Feb 2022, 01:53

yehaw wrote:
I think it's because this monitor has a higher base brightness, as my Omen gets very low brightness, which I used 90% of the time, outside of gaming.
Really. Why manufacturers set a so high minimum brightness threshold? What's the point of this?

Poppina

Post by Poppina » 02 Feb 2022, 06:11

Latest Nvidia driver (511.65) has killed g-sync for me.

Tried the below without success

Factory resetting monitor
Disabled and re-enabled g-sync via Nvidia control panel
Disabled and re-enabled free-sync via Monitor menu
Completed full uninstall via DDU and fresh driver download and install
Windows 11, fully up to date

How do I know it's not working? The G-Sync indicator in game isn't showing and when pressing the menu button on the monitor, the refresh rate is 240hz, doesn't constantly update based on FPS. This mean G-sync is definitely not working.

Any ideas?