ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
namcost

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by namcost » 21 Dec 2021, 17:47

Zace wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 08:26
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 01:47
Marlen wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 16:59
placebo
Not necessarily.
masterblaster wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 15:59
Dumaguy1 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 15:40
Hmm, it seems like HDMI works much much better than Display port. I'm actually liking this. WTF man, I hate monitors, why do they have to be so F**king quirky.
What are you talking about?

HDMI should never be better than DP.
Not necessarily - Newer HDMI can be very good nowadays. Also firmware differences on different models can switch HDMI-vs-DP processing lag into favour of one or the other — it is never DP consistently better, nor HDMI consistently better.

However, there wasn’t supposed to be a major difference — This merits further analysis. I’d inform ViewSonic.

Also make sure to test apples vs apples on monitor features (VRR on versus off)
XG2431 does not come with HDMI cable. It comes with display 1.2. For HDMI to be faster maybe he tried a HDMI 2.0?
As a contention to note, According to VESA, the display port standard in terms of CABLE does not matter. A 1.2 cable can support a 1.3 or 1.4 signal. Maybe in the future with DP 2.0 there might require a new cable standard to support the "double bandwidth" but maybe not, for now the cable version doesn't matter.

https://www.displayport.org/how-to-choo ... a-bad-one/
A standard DisplayPort cable, including older cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All certified DisplayPort cables support HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

While these same cables can in many cases be used with the latest-generation HBR3 and Display Stream Compression (DSC), DP8K-certified cables are specially constructed to ensure the best performance for these high-bandwidth applications.

DisplayPort uses packetized data, similar to USB and ethernet, to send digital display and audio data. Unlike older video interfaces, you don’t get a “better” picture or other incremental improvements with a more expensive cable, but a poor quality cable could lead to data errors and obvious corruption of the video or audio data, and may be less reliable over the long term.
Which leads me to my "don't buy chinese knockoff products just because they are cheap" rant. I can't tell you how many people on reddit have monitor issues because they buy the cheapest most POS cable possible. I always buy certified, for DP that means Club3d or CableMatters, both of which can be found on Amazon for very fair prices.

Which as a funny note, I am running a certified Club3d cable right now via display port, some users have noted supposed input lag issues. I have no issues with input lag, but I also did not use the cable the monitor came with. Perhaps their cable provided in the box isn't of high enough quality to ensure proper data transmission....

namcost

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by namcost » 21 Dec 2021, 18:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 17:14
That’s part of why we generally recommend approximately 120Hz for easier stutter removal during PureXP. It is easier to do framerate=Hz if the Hz is low enough for the GPU but high enough to avoid flicker. As a bonus, it adds refresh rate headroom that reduces strobe crosstalk.

Some of eyestrain is often stutter-related eyestrain, and sometimes VSYNC ON has less eyestrain when used with strobing. Also high Hz mouse run at high DPI, low sensitivity, can greatly de-stutter slow mouse turns.
I will double down on the mouse. Its actually BETTER to run a higher DPI on the mouse, letting the mouse do the work, and have the game's sensitivity lower. Its been proven by tech youtubers (optimum tech youtube for example). The idea of "400dpi" and high in-game sensitivity its a meme of the past. Why people listen to "pros" is beyond me (they aren't really pros, they just popular). I would rather follow the facts of science, and in this case, higher dpi is better for gaming than lower dpi. Even refresh rate of mice (1000hz, 8000hz) is better than 500hz or 100hz.

Dumaguy1

Post by Dumaguy1 » 22 Dec 2021, 05:10

namcost wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 18:00
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 17:14
That’s part of why we generally recommend approximately 120Hz for easier stutter removal during PureXP. It is easier to do framerate=Hz if the Hz is low enough for the GPU but high enough to avoid flicker. As a bonus, it adds refresh rate headroom that reduces strobe crosstalk.

Some of eyestrain is often stutter-related eyestrain, and sometimes VSYNC ON has less eyestrain when used with strobing. Also high Hz mouse run at high DPI, low sensitivity, can greatly de-stutter slow mouse turns.
I will double down on the mouse. Its actually BETTER to run a higher DPI on the mouse, letting the mouse do the work, and have the game's sensitivity lower. Its been proven by tech youtubers (optimum tech youtube for example). The idea of "400dpi" and high in-game sensitivity its a meme of the past. Why people listen to "pros" is beyond me (they aren't really pros, they just popular). I would rather follow the facts of science, and in this case, higher dpi is better for gaming than lower dpi. Even refresh rate of mice (1000hz, 8000hz) is better than 500hz or 100hz.
I have a Razer Viper 8k. I'm actually discovering that it's pretty bugged and increases cpu usage to a significant degree. I'm trying to do a shootout between the Asus 360 and the Viewsonic, as a result I'm trying to get 360 hz in Overwatch. I kept having a CPU bottleneck when trying to max the frames. I switched to my Death Adder V2 and gained 30 fps. Even when I set the polling rate to 1000 on the Viper it was still higher than the Death Adder. More study is needed.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2021, 10:17

Dumaguy1 wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 05:10
I have a Razer Viper 8k. I'm actually discovering that it's pretty bugged and increases cpu usage to a significant degree. I'm trying to do a shootout between the Asus 360 and the Viewsonic, as a result I'm trying to get 360 hz in Overwatch. I kept having a CPU bottleneck when trying to max the frames. I switched to my Death Adder V2 and gained 30 fps. Even when I set the polling rate to 1000 on the Viper it was still higher than the Death Adder. More study is needed.
For 1000Hz vs 1000Hz, that's weird.

This should be reported to Razer --

That said, 2000Hz or 4000Hz is the sweet spot for the Razer 8KHz. You pretty much get 90% of the benefits of 8000Hz with setting the mouse at just 2000Hz for the moment.

Are you sure you are testing exactly the same USB port? Some USB drivers use more CPU than others.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dumaguy1

Post by Dumaguy1 » 22 Dec 2021, 12:14

I never noticed it untill was trying to get a full 360 hz in Overwatch. Using task manager I noticed that my cpu core 2 was pinning at 100% alot. So It had been awhile since I did a fresh windows install. I decided to try Windows 11. I did Freethy's optimization thing. Part of it was an app that checked mouse polling. The Razer was acting very strange so I fired up Overwatch and started paying attention to the cpu core 2. Saw the same thing. Then I switched it to 1000Hz and it got better. But the mouse checker thing still looked odd. Trying the Razer Deathadder V2 worked better and gave better results in the mouse polling checker thing. Same Razer Synapse 3 drivers for both.

My case is unique, I'm trying to push things to the limit. I did find I had less cpu usage in Destiny 2 and Halo as well 8k polling sounds like a great idea but the more I get into this stuff the more I realize it's all about everything being in sync with each other. To me this seems like recording music at 192 khz. It reduces your input lag and is technically more accurate but it doesn't matter if your cpu and drives choke out due to the excess data.

This makes me wonder if it's worth getting a pcie usb card. And I if do get one do I get usb 2 or 3? I wonder if a dedicated pcie lane would help. I don't know enough about how it actually works.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2021, 12:35

I would like to communicate to Kaldaein or Guru3D about a mouse pollrate synchronized framerate cap, including 125fps, 250fps, 333.3fps, 500fps and 1000fps.

I bet that 250fps and 333.3fps cap on a 360Hz VRR monitor in a mouse pollrate sync, would feel like motion nirvana for some people — it would be completely mouse micro stutter free.

Also, 360Hz means even 250fps frame would refresh in 1/360sec each, so you don’t need 360Hz to get the latency advantages of 360Hz, and you have more LCD GtG time between 250 different low-lag tear-free “360Hz” refresh cycles.

Technologically it’s doable via a mouse hook (WH_MOUSE_LL API), so there might be an anticheat warning — but if it’s a monitoring/debugging-only hook, it might actually work — the criterion is that no modification are allowed to mouse messages (for aim robot apps). That’s an exercise for Guru3D or Kaldaein for a mouse pollrate synchronized frame rate cap.

A mouse pollrate synchronized frame rate cap + use of VRR, makes the use of 2000Hz+ unnecessary for compatible games, and allows 1:1 latency symmetry (zero jitter = stable latency that’s easy to aimtrain on)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dumaguy1

Post by Dumaguy1 » 22 Dec 2021, 12:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 12:35
I would like to communicate to Kaldaein or Guru3D about a mouse pollrate synchronized framerate cap, including 125fps, 250fps, 333.3fps, 500fps and 1000fps.

I bet that 250fps and 333.3fps cap on a 360Hz VRR monitor in a mouse pollrate sync, would feel like motion nirvana for some people — it would be completely mouse micro stutter free.

Technologically it’s doable via a mouse hook (WH_MOUSE_LL API), so there might be an anticheat warning — but if it’s a monitoring/debugging-only hook, it might actually work — the criterion is that no modification are allowed to mouse messages (for aim robot apps). That’s an exercise for Guru3D or Kaldaein for a mouse pollrate synchronized frame rate cap.

A mouse pollrate synchronized frame rate cap + use of VRR, makes the use of 2000Hz+ unnecessary for compatible games, and allows 1:1 latency symmetry (zero jitter = stable latency that’s easy to aimtrain on)
Oddly enough I just spent the last few hours playing around with 333 and and 250 fps with 1000hz polling rate with my Death Adder V2.
I wish I could get the 333.3 happening in Overwatch as 333 is a bit clearer than 250 however I can lock it at 250. 333 can jump around a bit depending on the action.

AquariusLuLu

Post by AquariusLuLu » 22 Dec 2021, 21:26

Currently, playing Apex Legends on this monitor via Ps5 capped at 59/60Hz. Using Light/Normal PureXp+ anyone have any good recommendation in regards to custom settings on console? Also colour and calibration settings that work well on console. Having a hard time figuring it out. Cheers!

akumou

Post by akumou » 23 Dec 2021, 09:07

Im curious for anyone who has used this monitor and possibly other high refresh rate IPS panels as to whether they feel like visibility and clarity is superior in FPS games on these panels as opposed to TN monitors like benq xl2546k. Does the better better color reproduction on the IPS panels make a difference in this regard?

ditiy15447

Post by ditiy15447 » 23 Dec 2021, 11:42

wasn't sure where to post this:

looking for a monitor will be used for competitive fps so nothing really bothers besides ghosting and refresh rate etc
mainly playing apex, 3080 and 5900x so framerate is not a problem (though i think i'm supposed to cap 180 to avoid engine stutter)

very high budgest

any suggestions?