ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Zace

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Zace » 11 Oct 2021, 11:18

Are there any ufo shots of the xg2431 non strobed here? As it uses the same panel as aoc 24g2zu, it would be interesting to see how the raw performance of this panel is.

HurrdurrBlurr

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by HurrdurrBlurr » 11 Oct 2021, 12:01

Why is this monitor 23.8 and not 24.5?

Damstructions

Post by Damstructions » 11 Oct 2021, 14:21

I tried to upload a video of the XG2431 without strobing but the site said file size is too big, so I decided to upload a shot from the video here. It's not really clear, but it's serviceable, and Freesync Premium and HDR would work with PureXP off, also it's brighter.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211012-021857_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211012-021857_Gallery.jpg (483.67 KiB) Viewed 6574 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Oct 2021, 20:25

HurrdurrBlurr wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 12:01
Why is this monitor 23.8 and not 24.5?
These are Innolux panels rather than AUO, Samsung or LG -- they all have their different fabrications for the 24-25 inch class so what one makes in 24.5" a different panel factory makes in 23.8" -- like a fab line normally designed for 48 inch 4K panels versus 50 inch 4K panels. Mother glass is cut up to multiple smaller screens. Or how good your engineers are at miniaturizing the on-glass bezel driver circuits.

For example, mother glass designed for 50" HDTV or 75" HDTV screens can generate about 4x or 9x as many 24.5" screerns. (You still need 0.5" for the integrated circuits built into the edges of the glass). But a mother glass designed for 48" HDTV or 70" HDTV screens need to shrink the screen size to 23.8" to generate 4x or 9x as many screens. Sometimes they may shrink/enlarge the pixels using a different lithography mask, but usually it's about the same dpi and pixel size (4x 1080p displays from a 4K motherglass twice the diagonal measurement).

These are example numbers, just to give you the idea how you have to adjust the size a little to be able to cut out more screens from the same mother glass.

Different screen fabs operate differently, with different flexibilities, for reasons even unknown to me, except I know that manufacturing LCDs is a lot like manufacturing computer chips, in many ways.

It's dictated by glass wafer size. How many screens you can cut from a large motherglass, is like how many chips you can cut from a silicon wafer.

LCD Glass Are Just Merely Giant Glass Computer Chips
Different "mother glass" sizes are more optimally cut up to different sizes, one motherglass may give more panels if it's 23.8" instead of 24.5". Like the multiple chips on a silicon wafer, LCD glass is like a gigantic wafer that needs to be cut up!

Just like a silicon chip, a modern LCD screen is a fully lithographed integrated circuit with transistors -- a screen is just merely one giant glass chip with TFT (Thin Film Transistors) and has on-glass IC's at the bezels with a bunch of shift registers embedded in the glass edge so you don't need a 3840-wire ribbon cable for a 3840-column screen of a 4K panel. The same lithography creating the transistorized pixels are also used to build screen-refreshing-drivers for row-column refreshing of the thin film transistor active matrix screen.

LCD Screens Are Giant Transparent Write-Only DRAM Chips
Think of a modern LCD screen like a gigantic write-only DRAM chip, where a refresh cycle is writing data (pixel colors), and a single refresh cycle scanout is one whole-chip sequential write. It's like a DRAM chip that's gigantic in 24 inch instead of 0.5 inch size -- where you see every single bit and byte of memory (as visible colors) because the chip is transparent and you're seeing pixels directly.

There are also some additional benefits to these 23.8" panels, each panels have their pros/cons. I've found these 23.8" Innolux superior for strobe tuning for certain refresh rates.

Your mileage may vary (panel lottery effects, and batch by batch) but they have different characteristics that were rather interesting during strobe tuning.

OLEDs are also litographed too, not just LCDs. Except instead of transparent pixel valves, you've got directly light-emitting LED pixels.

Citations

- Canon Lithography Machine for Creating Displays
- Nikon Lithography Machine for Creating Displays

Lithography of screens are in micrometers rather than nanometers, so it's far cheaper per square inch of surface than a computer chip.

But some high-dpi modern smartphones has only recently finally packed more transistors per square millimeter than the first Intel 4004 microprocessor (10 micrometer)!

Yet you have to push an astonishing amount of data through them. You need to go 12 BILLION subpixels per second for 8K 120Hz with the math: 7680 x 4320 x 120(hz) x 3(rgb). Even 1080p 360Hz requires processing 2.24 BILLION subpixels per second at 1920 x 1080 x 360 x 3.

But even a 500dpi smartphone screen (50 micrometer pixels with ~10 micrometer subpixel transistors) is lithographed less dense than an IBM PC XT at 4.77 Megahertz (3 micrometer transistors or ~3000 nanometers). Now imagine an even lower density 72dpi computer display instead, and we've got lower transistor density and longer circuit microwires than the first CPU.

High-Resolution High-Refresh-Rate Screens Today Refresh More Bits Per Second Today Than DRAM Chips

If you consider all pixel color values of a 10bit 8K 120Hz panel with 10bit data written per subpixel -- then your 12 billion pixels per second is 120 billion bits per second of bit-equivalent information. That's high end DDR4 DRAM territory. You're transmitting tens of gigabytes per second over a DisplayPort or HDMI cable continuously sustained permanently, while a single stick of the world's fastest RAM still peaks only briefly there only during sustained RAM writes that's completely sequential.

It's also yet another reason (amongst many, including artifacts-wise) why screens has stayed sequential scanout rather than random access pixels, because you can refresh more pixels faster with sustained sequential writes (which is what refresh cycles are). Modern screens now refresh faster than an average DDR4 memory stick if you include all possible information density crammed into a refresh cycle.

Driving pixels fast over long wire distances over low-density lithography is a losing battle sometimes but they've pulled off the impossible. The information density real-world refreshed into the pixels usually exceeds the real-world sustained benchmark world's fastest DDR4 memory sticks. Except the screen is just ONE chip, while a DDR4 memory stick contains multiple chips (usually 8).

It is a miracle the industry can get giant 70 inch and 80 inch screens refreshing faster than a whole pair of 8-chip memory stick running in dual-channel mode.

Even more a bigger miracle that you can buy these panels for just 3 figure prices. 1080p 240Hz for under $500? 4K 120Hz for under $1000? All here today. Fairy tale pie in the sky just a couple decades ago.

Hope this helps -- fascinating information about screen manufacturing being like the manufacture of chips, as it pertains to their odd sizes, their performance, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Roadsign1993

Post by Roadsign1993 » 12 Oct 2021, 06:54

kyube wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 08:58
mkdp wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 05:39
Asked ViewSonic if they have any info about selling this monitor in Europe:

"Sorry to say, but the XG2431 will not be released in Europe, as of current plans. Suggest to move up to a 27”, for XG270 with 240Hz like the XG271QG with G-Sync Elite: https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG270

Or XG270QC, 165Hz curved: https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG270QC

Within a few months we will launch a new 25” (24,5”) in XG251G, with 360Hz refresh rate! (price not finalized): https://www.viewsonic.com/global/newsro ... ology_3615"
That's so unfortunate. :(
I really wanted to go for a blurbusters approved monitor...guess I'll wait for some blurbusters approved 4k 240hz monitor now :/

Also, if Chief sees this, is it possible to add the AOC 24G2ZU (uses the same panel as XG2431) to your strobing utility so we can adjust strobing on it? Since EU won't be getting the XG2431, it seems it's the only monitor with the same panel that's available in EU (if VCP codes are available on it ofc)
this would be so cool .. ngl was kinda mad this monitor got so hyped up in this forum and then us only ... :( wanted to import it from korea but i tested the 24G2ZU (and the panel is amazing) all of my 3 units had 2-3 stuck green pixels (tested multiple things to get them away but no luck) .. so i will def. not import a unit.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Oct 2021, 10:01

Roadsign1993 wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 06:54
kyube wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 08:58
mkdp wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 05:39
Asked ViewSonic if they have any info about selling this monitor in Europe:

"Sorry to say, but the XG2431 will not be released in Europe, as of current plans. Suggest to move up to a 27”, for XG270 with 240Hz like the XG271QG with G-Sync Elite: https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG270

Or XG270QC, 165Hz curved: https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG270QC

Within a few months we will launch a new 25” (24,5”) in XG251G, with 360Hz refresh rate! (price not finalized): https://www.viewsonic.com/global/newsro ... ology_3615"
That's so unfortunate. :(
I really wanted to go for a blurbusters approved monitor...guess I'll wait for some blurbusters approved 4k 240hz monitor now :/

Also, if Chief sees this, is it possible to add the AOC 24G2ZU (uses the same panel as XG2431) to your strobing utility so we can adjust strobing on it? Since EU won't be getting the XG2431, it seems it's the only monitor with the same panel that's available in EU (if VCP codes are available on it ofc)
this would be so cool .. ngl was kinda mad this monitor got so hyped up in this forum and then us only ... :( wanted to import it from korea but i tested the 24G2ZU (and the panel is amazing) all of my 3 units had 2-3 stuck green pixels (tested multiple things to get them away but no luck) .. so i will def. not import a unit.
Unlucky? AOC 24G2Z is my main monintor, actually the best gaming monitor I ever used (and I tried almost all of them including 360hz and 390hz). No stuck pixels here. I guess you got unlucky or I got lucky! Either way I am only selling this unit when a proper 360hz or 480hz get released. This panel is too good. I believe XG2431 is a great monitor. Shame I can´t test it on Europe...

Asus XG249CM 23,8 1080p coming in the next days aswell... 270hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Oct 2021, 13:32

Notty_PT wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 10:01
Unlucky? AOC 24G2Z is my main monintor, actually the best gaming monitor I ever used (and I tried almost all of them including 360hz and 390hz). No stuck pixels here. I guess you got unlucky or I got lucky! Either way I am only selling this unit when a proper 360hz or 480hz get released. This panel is too good. I believe XG2431 is a great monitor. Shame I can´t test it on Europe...

Asus XG249CM 23,8 1080p coming in the next days aswell... 270hz
Good news,

Amazon USA will ship ViewSonic XG2431's to Europe!

There's a high shipping charge involved, but even with that, still competitive with European alternatives when considering all-in costs.

I am told by Viewsonic they have an incoming shipment of XG2431's before the Holidays, so bookmark ViewSonic XG2431 on Amazon USA. I don't know how big this factory run, but there's lots of shortages in manufacturing so it's still constrained, alas. It's really affecting certain models of certain gaming monitors by all game monitor manufacturers, you're also finding certain models almost impossible to find too, long after release. Including the mythical but highly desired 48" LG OLEDs we keep trying to find but have difficulty getting our hands on. As always, the usual Blur Busters disclaimer -- industry shortages is beyond our control. A single chip shortage currently holds up a whole factory line of a specific model of gaming monitor. But I can say...

...Keep a hawk eye on this URL:

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097S9SYM5?tag=blurbust-20
(Copy and paste if you're in Europe, this will bypass automatic geo-location that autoredirects to the non-existent European Amazon source of XG2431. And fair notice, it's the usual Blur Busters amazon affiliate code which supports Blur Busters & TestUFO with a 2.5% commission of your cart checkout. Optional, but you can change the affiliate code if you prefer to support someone else such as TFTCentral or PCMonitors etc. Help out any user of Blur Busters inventions)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Marlen

Post by Marlen » 12 Oct 2021, 14:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 13:32
I am told by Viewsonic they have an incoming shipment of XG2431's before the Holidays
It seems that will be the case, cause PCNation.com also told me that ETA for the monitor is 15th November 2021.

Clacky

Post by Clacky » 12 Oct 2021, 19:52

When will I be able to purchase this monitor in Australia?

gameinn

Post by gameinn » 16 Oct 2021, 03:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 13:32
There's a high shipping charge involved, but even with that, still competitive with European alternatives when considering all-in costs
I might be mistaken but I am pretty sure if the monitor has issues then good luck with the RMA process. You will be forced to send it back to USA at your own expense. Also I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there is legal issues with requesting RMA via USA to UK/Europe not to mention making sure you get the customs declaration properly done.

Also the US units will come with a US plug which is useless anywhere else. I've always been awkward about using cables not originally packaged with the item even if it's the same amperage or whatever.