ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
killemall

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by killemall » 23 Dec 2021, 17:48

Currently using an Alienware AW2521H with ULMB at 240hz and still not impressed with motion clarity as an ex-CRT diehard.

Here's hoping the Viewsonic lives up to the hype when it arrives.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2021, 19:46

killemall wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 17:48
Currently using an Alienware AW2521H with ULMB at 240hz and still not impressed with motion clarity as an ex-CRT diehard.

Here's hoping the Viewsonic lives up to the hype when it arrives.
Make sure to use at least 2:1 refresh rate headroom + QFT / Large VT. And aim for framerate=Hz. The crosstalk is much less, the more Hz you go below max Hz. 120Hz is also closer to contemporary high-Hz CRT refresh rates too, as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ValiantVillager

Post by ValiantVillager » 26 Dec 2021, 03:43

Hey I have a quick question. I just got this monitor and I'm loving it, purexp is working great, however, I noticed that the "response time" option is grayed out while using purexp, does this mean I would have a better response time without using purexp and using this option instead? or does purexp simply put it to the fastest option itself? Thanks in advance.

Zheldorg

Post by Zheldorg » 26 Dec 2021, 03:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 10:17
Dumaguy1 wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 05:10
I have a Razer Viper 8k. I'm actually discovering that it's pretty bugged and increases cpu usage to a significant degree. I'm trying to do a shootout between the Asus 360 and the Viewsonic, as a result I'm trying to get 360 hz in Overwatch. I kept having a CPU bottleneck when trying to max the frames. I switched to my Death Adder V2 and gained 30 fps. Even when I set the polling rate to 1000 on the Viper it was still higher than the Death Adder. More study is needed.
For 1000Hz vs 1000Hz, that's weird.

This should be reported to Razer --

That said, 2000Hz or 4000Hz is the sweet spot for the Razer 8KHz. You pretty much get 90% of the benefits of 8000Hz with setting the mouse at just 2000Hz for the moment.

Are you sure you are testing exactly the same USB port? Some USB drivers use more CPU than others.
I will not draw any conclusions, but "viper 8k" always works at a frequency of 8000hz with a user interface, manual adjustment only sets the maximum number of packets per second from the ARM controller with the sensor data. Source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwf_F2VboFQ&t=173s

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 26 Dec 2021, 15:38

akumou wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 09:07
Im curious for anyone who has used this monitor and possibly other high refresh rate IPS panels as to whether they feel like visibility and clarity is superior in FPS games on these panels as opposed to TN monitors like benq xl2546k. Does the better better color reproduction on the IPS panels make a difference in this regard?
The blur reduction is marginally better on the XG2431 than the XL2546K. I think the colors are better and more customizable on the XL2546K than the XG2431 but everyone is unique in this regard. The brightness loss on the XG2431 is significant past the first two strobing settings, but IMO I saw no visual improvement in clarity past Normal anyway, so this ended up becoming less of an issue.

I have no idea what response time/input lag times are on the XG2431 compared to the XL2546K when strobing is on, but it felt fine enough to play Apex Legends. Although I think I performed better on the XL2546K over the XG2431.

That said, I think strobing ended up causing me headaches/eye fatigue. I’m actually testing the AW2521H 360hz monitor right now. I had a good first impression, but after gaming on it for a few days, I have to reassess and be honest that I don’t think 360hz makes any difference over 240hz, especially in a game like Apex where with a 3080ti I’m constantly at the engine’s hard cap of 300fps. So at best I’m only getting 60fps more than a 240hz monitor. But the motion clarity on the AW2521H is significantly worse than both the XG2431 and the XL2546K and it’s noticeably so in game. I have not tried the AW at 240hz with strobing but I don’t see why I would. I would rather go back to the XG2431 or XL2546K than use the AW in that configuration I think.

For what it’s worth, the XG2431 also uses a brand new Innolux 23.8” pane where all the other 240hz IPS monitors are on an AUO panel that’s a few years old. Doesn’t really matter to me, but the panel on the XG2431 just seems like a good one overall regardless of strobing. 23.8” though makes a bigger difference than you’d think. The PPI is slightly higher but enemies in Apex were also slightly harder for me to see at a distance (hence why I maybe performed slightly better on the XL2546K).

I am actually considering trying a 1440p 240-270hz monitor instead now.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 26 Dec 2021, 19:52

Does the strobe utility support command line arguments?

Trying to think of a way to write a simple batch file or script that can change your resolution / refresh rate / strobe settings by double clicking one thing, rather than having to find settings in windows and then manually re-apply strobe settings afterwards.

namcost

Post by namcost » 26 Dec 2021, 23:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 10:17
QUOTING YOU TO TAG YOU
So I recently switched from a 3090 to a 6900xt to see the difference. I went into the AMD software and created the custom resolution with the large vertical total. It works, and it is a bit clearer than the Nvidia (in terms of top and bottom edges).

HOWEVER, AMD software is now reporting that I am running 6 bit color. Trying to change to 8 or 10 bit color, it glitches out and goes right back to 6!

LOOKING at a gradient test, it seems to be running 10bit as the gradient is smooth as hell. So I do NOT think its reading the information correctly and its incorrectly reporting 6 bit color. Perhaps throwing AMD software off because of the custom resolution.

YOU HAD MENTIONED that you are "working with companies" to create monitors with them.... I would make sure you look into this, most likely that company will need to contact AMD to make sure this issue doesn't persist on the new monitors you are working on (if the issue even occurs on those newer displays) so that users of future products don't lose their shizzle when things like this occur (which shouldn't occur)

Dumaguy1

Post by Dumaguy1 » 29 Dec 2021, 15:21

I returned the XG2431 today. For me I prefer the 360 hz of the Asus 360. I would say that the Viewsonic is a monitor that excels in certain situations. The UFO test is way better on the Viewsonic, In game at high framerates I feel the Asus is better. The Viewsonic is punchier colour wise and has way better blacks. The ability to adjust the strobe and overdrive is also nice. I guess it comes down to I don't like strobing. It sucks because it's not the kind of thing that you advise someone about, you have to try it for yourself to see.

Zace

Post by Zace » 30 Dec 2021, 14:56

namcost wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 19:39
Okay boys and girls. I did some 240hz testing with the 3 overdrive modes (standard/advanced/ultrafast) and have given 10/90 times in a nice little chart....

https://imgur.com/a/8cVUkaQ
XG2431 240hz Timings 3 Overdrive Modes.png

These tests were done AFTER color calibration (using the custom color temp mode. 95 red, 95 green, 100 blue gave perfect d65 aka 6500 white point) and without using any of the flicker/strobing modes. Pure pixel response at 240hz using the 3 overdrive modes.

For color calibration, after calibration I got a measured average delta-e of 1.2 for all patches of color. Lowest average 90% was 0.5 and highest average 10% was 6.3. Maximum all patches (absolute worst) was 8.5 and maximum of the lowest 90% was 4.7.... overall not bad but not great. Considering the price of the monitor, its actually really good.

Compared to my Alienware 240hz (aw2418hf) this monitor is pretty nice. Granted the Alienware is a TN based monitor.... this IPS has interesting readings. Generally it seems the darker transitions are slower than brighter. Going to full 100% white from any starting point pretty much gave the best results. On the flip side, on my Alienware, going to full 100% white gave the slowest transition times.

My next testing will involve messing with the flicker backlight/strobing stuff. I don't think 240hz will offer a good enough picture. So far I get a double image no matter what. I might try 120hz and see if I can do "large vertical totals" to get a perfect image. If so, awesome. But so far, Nvidia only recognizes 3 modes, 100hz, 144hz, and 240hz. So I am going to have to make a custom resolution for 120hz.... which to me, seems odd. I would think all modes would show up like my Alienware. I am using a certified DP 1.4 cable from Club3d so I know that my cable is not the issue. So far, monitor seems nice, but I haven't tried gaming or watching movies/tv/anime yet. I figured I would hot drop my results as soon as I was done.

Let me know if anyone wants any other refresh rates tested for pixel response and with WHAT overdrive mode. Not really going to run through all 3 modes on every refresh rate possible, so if you have a specific combo of things, I can test it.

The tools used....

X-Rite i1Display PRO using their native software. I know some people will yelp about using Display Cal.... but in my personal testing, the stock X-Rite software gets closer to CALMAN software than Display Cal does. But CALMAN is outside my price range so I wont touch it.

PicoScope 2204a USB Oscilloscope and their native software. It can auto give me 10/90 or 20/80 times, I wish it had the ability to give me full 0-100 times. Maybe I can figure out how to add that in. The software is adaptable.

ThorLabs SM05PD1B Photodiode and using a ThorLabs SM to BNC cable.
Saw your amazon review and could you give exact settings on what you put for the custom resolution and strobe utility for the 120hz? And do you have icc for your calibration?

namcost

Post by namcost » 02 Jan 2022, 01:40

Zace wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 14:56
namcost wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 19:39
Okay boys and girls. I did some 240hz testing with the 3 overdrive modes (standard/advanced/ultrafast) and have given 10/90 times in a nice little chart....

https://imgur.com/a/8cVUkaQ
XG2431 240hz Timings 3 Overdrive Modes.png

These tests were done AFTER color calibration (using the custom color temp mode. 95 red, 95 green, 100 blue gave perfect d65 aka 6500 white point) and without using any of the flicker/strobing modes. Pure pixel response at 240hz using the 3 overdrive modes.

For color calibration, after calibration I got a measured average delta-e of 1.2 for all patches of color. Lowest average 90% was 0.5 and highest average 10% was 6.3. Maximum all patches (absolute worst) was 8.5 and maximum of the lowest 90% was 4.7.... overall not bad but not great. Considering the price of the monitor, its actually really good.

Compared to my Alienware 240hz (aw2418hf) this monitor is pretty nice. Granted the Alienware is a TN based monitor.... this IPS has interesting readings. Generally it seems the darker transitions are slower than brighter. Going to full 100% white from any starting point pretty much gave the best results. On the flip side, on my Alienware, going to full 100% white gave the slowest transition times.

My next testing will involve messing with the flicker backlight/strobing stuff. I don't think 240hz will offer a good enough picture. So far I get a double image no matter what. I might try 120hz and see if I can do "large vertical totals" to get a perfect image. If so, awesome. But so far, Nvidia only recognizes 3 modes, 100hz, 144hz, and 240hz. So I am going to have to make a custom resolution for 120hz.... which to me, seems odd. I would think all modes would show up like my Alienware. I am using a certified DP 1.4 cable from Club3d so I know that my cable is not the issue. So far, monitor seems nice, but I haven't tried gaming or watching movies/tv/anime yet. I figured I would hot drop my results as soon as I was done.

Let me know if anyone wants any other refresh rates tested for pixel response and with WHAT overdrive mode. Not really going to run through all 3 modes on every refresh rate possible, so if you have a specific combo of things, I can test it.

The tools used....

X-Rite i1Display PRO using their native software. I know some people will yelp about using Display Cal.... but in my personal testing, the stock X-Rite software gets closer to CALMAN software than Display Cal does. But CALMAN is outside my price range so I wont touch it.

PicoScope 2204a USB Oscilloscope and their native software. It can auto give me 10/90 or 20/80 times, I wish it had the ability to give me full 0-100 times. Maybe I can figure out how to add that in. The software is adaptable.

ThorLabs SM05PD1B Photodiode and using a ThorLabs SM to BNC cable.
Saw your amazon review and could you give exact settings on what you put for the custom resolution and strobe utility for the 120hz? And do you have icc for your calibration?
Well. For the custom resolution, you will end up doing the large veritcal totals. So if you have Nvidia, have the monitor running 240hz, and then open the custom resolution utility. Change the timings to custom. And then after that, switch the HZ to 120, and then for the vertical total, double that number. Save, test. Should work. And then running the viewsonic/blurbuster flicker calibration, tweak it until it looks good. FOR ME, that would be 15/98/15 in terms of top to bottom. Panel variance is a thing so my strobe utility settings may not work for you. I like my display a little darker so you might not like a setting of 15, you'll probably end up around 20-30. and then tweaking the second until you get the clearest image overall. you'll notice as you change the second option that the top or bottom will start having double images. for me the, top starts off with double image, and then becomes the middle, and then the bottom, and then gone. overdrive will effect things. 15 for me is best. any more and you get ghosting, and lower is no benefit.