ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Apr 2021, 13:12

Discorz wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 08:46
What happened? I swear it was 92 votes earlier now its down to 59.
Possibly they caught some overexcited individual violated RTINGS TOS by voting under multiple accounts —

(Nope, it wasn’t us. We’re not even lifting a finger here — Blur Busters fans are just so excited to see this happen).

While I appreciate the excitement by Blur Busters fans, we want users to stay in the proper terms of service.

The only way RTINGS legally lets you vote more than once on the same monitor per month, is if you pay for the RTINGS membership. Then you can vote 5 times per month for the XG2431 if you wished — or any other model — it’s up to you.

That’s the RTINGS endorsed way for the same person voting multiple times on the same monitor — the fees of RTINGS memberships goes to the costs of RTINGS purchasing the monitor directly from the market (rather than a cherrypicked sample sent by manufacturer).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

datspike

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by datspike » 13 Apr 2021, 13:15

Last time I've checked the page, the XG2431 had like 43 votes. Then I saw your post and it had 91 votes.
Quite an amazing jump, considering there were no new news/articles about the monitor.

So yeah, someone was overexcited and rigged the voting, then rtings fixed the number of votes.
XG2431 | MSI MAG251RX | Lacie 22b4 | Sony F520

milojr21

Post by milojr21 » 13 Apr 2021, 13:58

I voted when it was at 59 and its still 59, so I don't know if votes are being counted anymore. This is my first time voting too.

SaberEdge

Post by SaberEdge » 15 Apr 2021, 10:15

Any news on when the XG2431 will be formally announced by ViewSonic or when it will be available?

lostyBLUR

Post by lostyBLUR » 15 Apr 2021, 10:47

masterblaster wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 01:32
Ill be pissed if its not by the end of this month because I need a new monitor and was looking at this one.
ViewSonic Gaming responded on Twitter saying it was delayed until May. They also said in a tweet a few weeks ago they hope to have it in stores by the end of May.

SixelAlexiS

Post by SixelAlexiS » 16 Apr 2021, 04:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 13:12
Discorz wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 08:46
What happened? I swear it was 92 votes earlier now its down to 59.
Possibly they caught some overexcited individual violated RTINGS TOS by voting under multiple accounts —

(Nope, it wasn’t us. We’re not even lifting a finger here — Blur Busters fans are just so excited to see this happen).

While I appreciate the excitement by Blur Busters fans, we want users to stay in the proper terms of service.

The only way RTINGS legally lets you vote more than once on the same monitor per month, is if you pay for the RTINGS membership. Then you can vote 5 times per month for the XG2431 if you wished — or any other model — it’s up to you.

That’s the RTINGS endorsed way for the same person voting multiple times on the same monitor — the fees of RTINGS memberships goes to the costs of RTINGS purchasing the monitor directly from the market (rather than a cherrypicked sample sent by manufacturer).
Hi Chief!
I'm really curious about this monitor so I have a couple of questions, don't know if you can answer them:

-Do we know if this monitor support 4K 60HZ signals on consoles like it does the Benq EX2510?

-Is there any approximate price range?

-This is too specific and probably need to wait for reviews but I try: do we know the minimum brightness value of the screen when in FreeSync/G-Sync mode? I suppose you will have lower (and adjustable) values while using ULMB or such but I'm interested on the minimum nits value without using that function.

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward for more informations ^^

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 17 Apr 2021, 14:21

a dream come true!!
finally a perfect monitor consoles
I'm going to buy it as soon as it goes on sale. :)
I don't care what the price is. I buy it for sure.!!!!!
Having the blur buster certificate is a safe purchase.

I am finally going to replace my xl2411p.

Thank you very much, Chief and congratulations!!! :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 01:51

SixelAlexiS wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 04:51
Hi Chief!
I'm really curious about this monitor so I have a couple of questions, don't know if you can answer them:

-Do we know if this monitor support 4K 60HZ signals on consoles like it does the Benq EX2510?
This feature has not been tested, but I will test it within the next internal validation session (testing PVT firmware).
SixelAlexiS wrote:
Is there any approximate price range?
It is a very competitive relative to other 240 Hz IPS and top-end 240 Hz TN monitors. Not as cheap as the cheapest 240 Hz, but not the most expensive 240 Hz either.

Which is great, because this is the world’s most flexible 240 Hz strobed IPS — nothing else can do any-Hz single strobe, console+PC compatible. Making this the most console-optimized 240 Hz monitor ever (so far)
SixelAlexiS wrote:
This is too specific and probably need to wait for reviews but I try: do we know the minimum brightness value of the screen when in FreeSync/G-Sync mode? I suppose you will have lower (and adjustable) values while using ULMB or such but I'm interested on the minimum nits value without using that function.
As an expectation-setting move, nonstrobed won’t go as super-dim as a Mac monitor at 1% brightness setting. But I did get them to extend the minimum brightness range to what this particular PWM-free panel allows. Plus PureXP+ Custom also kind of solves the problem:

The good news is strobed has a much wider brightness adjustment range than XG270 when you use the “Custom” setting of PureXP. It gives you 40 notches of brightness adjustment range in the brightness-vs-clarity tradeoff of a pulse width adjustment. The dimmest strobe and the brightest strobe is a 40x brightness difference — Pulse Width 1% versus Pulse Width 40%. The moderate voltage boost means Pulse Width 40% is almost as bright as Pulse Width 100% (aka strobing = OFF).

While Pulse Width 1% is extremely dim - much dimmer than Brightness 0% of non-strobed. So you can use Strobe Utility system tray as essentially a defacto wide-range brightness adjustment by readjusting pulse width for the specific game or time of day (daytime vs nighttime). At 240 strobes per second it is sufficiently eye friendly enough to keep on permanently for many people — depending on how flicker sensitive you are (especially versus motion blur eyestrain)

This expectations-guiding move is intended to show, that some of us agree that brightness ranges (of nonstrobed) is not sufficiently wide enough in many panels — it is a hardware limitation as dimmer settings is not possible on this panel in a PWM-free mode. But conveniently PureXP+ is an optional “blur-friendly PWM mode”, wihch means you can get the panel even dimmer if you wished.

PureXP+ Custom 1% is 40x dimmer than PureXP+ Custom 40% — you’ve got a REALLY wide brightness adjustment range via PureXP+ Custom. The brightest setting I am able to get exceeds 200 nits at 40% setting (Light) at 120Hz, while the dimmest setting is 1/40th the brightness at 1% setting. Estimated production ballpark would be 200-250 nits strobing for PureXP 40% setting, with the other settings progressively dimmer. Please note, panel variances apply and reviewers will reveal the final behaviors — hopefully they haven’t tweaked the voltage boost too much between my prototype and the final. The goldilocks setting of brighter strobe without wearing out backlight LEDs. I am _pretty_ sure it will stay above 200 nits at the 40% setting.

As a very likely strobe favourite 240Hz IPS panel now — nobody else is strobing this flexibly in 240Hz IPS. Plus the bonus of low console input lag, a rarity in 240 Hz panels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 02:44

pacman wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 14:43
Am I the only one who is excited about the combination of 4K and PureXP in the XG320U. Great pixel density and, hopefully, great motion clarity. I am aware that 4K panels are more difficult to tune than FHD ones, but anyway it will be really interesting to see what the Blur Busters can achieve here.
To prevent any confusions, I should note that Blur Busters is not currently involved in the XG320U, but you may ask ViewSonic to send one for Blur Busters certification.

The more users who request Blur Busters Certification, the more monitors Blur Busters can approve. We will publish a page that encourages users to contact manufacturers.
effjaysea wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 08:55
official announcement stuff today?
Blur Busters is targetting Wednesday for some more information published about this XG2431 monitor and Blur Busters Approved Version 2.0

ViewSonic is targetting slightly later for their website’s press release.

Also, an early “One More Thing”: For advanced users, some neat additional features such as the “Automatic Vertical Total Wizard” will be features coming to subsequent versions of the downloadable Blur Busters Strobe Utility. It will automatically calculate the exact ToastyX numbers / NVCP numbers for low-lag Quick Frame Transport modes that also reduce PureXP+ strobe crosstalk. Eliminate frustrating failed Vertical Total experimenting.