ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2022, 15:59

pllovervoltage wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 07:43
Clarity is absolutely amazing. But I feel the absolute absence of blur really shows how choppy 60hz games are lol. At first the choppiness of 0 blur 60hz gameplay was kinda off putting, then I got used to it and when I switched to my old monitor and damn I can't believe how blurry my old monitor was.
This can be an issue -- this is solved by using VSYNC ON in some games. It's higher latency, but fixes strobe-amplified choppiness in some games. There are also low-lag clones of VSYNC ON, such as RTSS Scanline Sync.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2022, 16:05

sodafly wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 16:17
Think I am just going to sell/return this monitor as it is extremly overhyped imo and the colours are way to distracting. My other TN pannel (XG240R) actually had MORE clarity and was easier to see people in games like CSGO due it not having ips glow. I guess I can see a reason why most FPS players stick to TN vs IPS these days considering how much random uneeded glow IPS monitors give.
Falkentyne wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:16
Chief? Any word about this?
I can't tag him.

What happens if you turn on "burn in" and then re-enter the factory menu? Do you have access to those options afterwards?
It seems strange that you have no access to the FRC or Overdrive (OD) setting there.
Different monitors have different types of eyestrain for different people:
- The backlight spectrum and blue light (use low blue light mode or orange glasses)
- The antiglare filter and speckle (that's why some people love Mac screens)
- The brightness/contrast (too much or too little)
- The motion blur (some people have more eyestrain with blur than flicker)
- The flicker (some people have more eyestrain with flicker than blur)
- Certain temporal behaviours (FRC/inversion artifacts/chessboard patterning/etc)
- The polarization angle (sometimes rotating monitor to portrait vs landscape creates an immediate change in web-browsing eyestrain because the polarization has changed). XG2431 is 90-degrees different polarization than most TN panels.

There are so many different behaviours of differnt panels, that I've seen people suddenly get eyetrain from LG NanoIPS that they didn't get from a BenQ XL2546. But I've also seen vice versa.

More scientific research is needed on this, but we have thousands of anecdotes of eyestrain from all brands -- not just ViewSonic. So unfortunately for some people, it seems XG2431 reduces eyestrain, and for other people it increases eyestrain. Some settings you have access to adjusting and other settings you do not have access. Usually, majority of eyestrain blame (about 3/4) is mis-attributed to the wrong lineitem or bullet, it takes testing about 5 models and different settings to narrow down cause of display eyestrain.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kyube

Post by kyube » 25 Apr 2022, 16:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:05
sodafly wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 16:17
Think I am just going to sell/return this monitor as it is extremly overhyped imo and the colours are way to distracting. My other TN pannel (XG240R) actually had MORE clarity and was easier to see people in games like CSGO due it not having ips glow. I guess I can see a reason why most FPS players stick to TN vs IPS these days considering how much random uneeded glow IPS monitors give.
Falkentyne wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:16
Chief? Any word about this?
I can't tag him.

What happens if you turn on "burn in" and then re-enter the factory menu? Do you have access to those options afterwards?
It seems strange that you have no access to the FRC or Overdrive (OD) setting there.
Different monitors have different types of eyestrain for different people:
- The backlight spectrum and blue light (use low blue light mode or orange glasses)
- The antiglare filter and speckle (that's why some people love Mac screens)
- The brightness/contrast (too much or too little)
- The motion blur (some people have more eyestrain with blur than flicker)
- The flicker (some people have more eyestrain with flicker than blur)
- Certain temporal behaviours (FRC/inversion artifacts/chessboard patterning/etc)
- The polarization angle (sometimes rotating monitor to portrait vs landscape creates an immediate change in web-browsing eyestrain because the polarization has changed). XG2431 is 90-degrees different polarization than most TN panels.

There are so many different behaviours of differnt panels, that I've seen people suddenly get eyetrain from LG NanoIPS that they didn't get from a BenQ XL2546. But I've also seen vice versa.

More scientific research is needed on this, but we have thousands of anecdotes of eyestrain from all brands -- not just ViewSonic. So unfortunately for some people, it seems XG2431 reduces eyestrain, and for other people it increases eyestrain. Some settings you have access to adjusting and other settings you do not have access. Usually, majority of eyestrain blame (about 3/4) is mis-attributed to the wrong lineitem or bullet, it takes testing about 5 models and different settings to narrow down cause of display eyestrain.
How does one turn on FRC, as it's seemingly disabled judging by the picture provided? Is this some kind of driver error or is the monitor just 6bit instead of 6bit+FRC(bit)?
Oh, and how come the panel is a BOE now? Does a 23.8" 240hz Innolux panel and/or AUO panel exist?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2022, 16:20

kyube wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:17
How does one turn on FRC, as it's seemingly disabled judging by the picture provided? Is this some kind of driver error or is the monitor just 6bit instead of 6bit+FRC(bit)?
Oh, and how come the panel is a BOE now? Does a 23.8" 240hz Innolux panel and/or AUO panel exist?
GPUs can also support temporal dithering. NVIDIA drivers supports temporal dithering on the GPU driver side too, and requires a registry tweak to fully disable. "FRC" and its variants (temporal dithering) can be done either GPU-side or monitor-side.

If you don't see banding at lagom gradient on a 6-bit panel, then either the GPU or the monitor is executing a form of temporal dithering which is simply flickering pixels in roughly 1/64th brightness modulations every 1/240sec refresh cycle. That's a much fainter flicker (<1%) than PureXP, so if you don't have eyestrain with PureXP 240Hz, then FRC almost definitely isn't the cause of your eyestrain.

However, it was also confirmed that FRC is usually a major red herring (i.e. falsely blamed for eyestrain) when other things such as polarization and antiglare film was the actual cause. Although isolated cases of FRC-derived eyestrain exists, the FRC on a BenQ XL25XX series is much more intense than the FRC on an XG2431 or via NVIDIA GPU. So it's often a wild goose chase to obsessively blame FRC (>99% of the time at least).

Sometimes odd things happen, like how sitting a few inches closer to the monitor sometimes increases eyestrain for some people -- and smaller screens (23.8" vs 27") often cause people to sit closer, triggering an unexpected cause of eyestrain. But it depends on if you're farsighted or nearsighted, and if you've been used to a specific screen size in the past.

Other times, it was traced to mudane causes like the speckle of an antiglare film (far more common cause of eyestrain than FRC), which was fixed by going to an Apple screen (glossy) or a different texture of antiglare.

Yet other times, wearing orange-tinted computer glasses (superior to electronic "low blue light" settings), was the only solver for a specific individual.

LCD screens emit polarized light because of the technology they use. Another individual reported their eyestrain disappeared when their polarization changed (e.g. switched between IPS <-> TN, OR by rotating a rotatable screen 90 degrees to portrait mode) -- horizontal polarized light versus vertical polarized light -- can create different eyestrain behaviors in different individuals. Try spending an hour doing web browsing/work at both orientations. See which orientation reduces eyestrain. Little study has been done on this, but LCDs emit polarized light, due to the way the screens work. Most people are polarization-insensitive but some have reported more eyestrain with bright polarized light of a specific orientation (e.g. horizontal). That's why people wear polarized sunglasses and say that they often reduce eyestrain, even sometimes in non-glare-related situations, by staying away from their most uncomfortable polarization sensitivity. But polarization sensitivity for screens is fairly rare, and is often fixed by rotating polarization or switching to a non-polarized technology such as a 42", 48" or 55" LG OLED TV as a computer monitor.

So make sure to test your vision issues with multiple screens -- antiglare film vs glossy, strobed vs nonstrobed, TN vs IPS vs OLED, potrait vs landscape to changes polarization angle, different brightnesses, different view distances, overdrive settings, different Hz settings, smoothing the stutters via driver settings, low blue light (via electronic setting and via orange-tinted computer glasses), etc.

We have as many people who told me XG2431 reduced their eyestrain, so I can be the bearer of the bad news no two humans sees things exactly identically to each other -- vision, prescription, color sensitivity, flicker sensitivity, stutter sensitivity, tearing sensitivity, Hz sensitivity, etc.

Everybody's cause of eyestrain is different from each other -- and there's more than a dozen eyestrain-causers in any computer monitor on the market -- so you have to iteratively test your vision to find what works best for you.

AquariusLuLu

Post by AquariusLuLu » 25 Apr 2022, 19:54

Hey Chief,

I’ve tried asking this question to the community on this forum a few times regarding monitor settings for the XG2431 in regards to console gaming at 60FPS (apex legends). I’ve tried blur at 0 and everything looks kinda rough as well as light PureXp and it seems a little off when I quickly move left/right/up/down. Any recommendations for someone who plays fps games on console? Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 25 Apr 2022, 22:53

SaberEdge wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 19:15
To be clear, I didn't use the soak-with-wet towels method on the XG2431. I wouldn't want anyone to assume I did, try it, and damage their awesome monitor. In my experience, IPS panels for some reason often have issues with that method. It seems they tend to use a different adhesive or the actual makeup of the polarizer is different. I've actually only tried a few IPS panels, so the sample size is small, but that's my impression. You frequently end up with lines or striations in the surface of the polarizer or you can't seem to get the matte film to come up off the polarizer at all.

Anyway, this newer method involves more effort but it has several advantages. First, it seems to work on any kind of LCD screen. Second, it avoids the issues I previously mentioned. Third, since you are actually just polishing the matte film your screen maintains that layer of protection, making it more durable and resistant to scratches. On the other hand, when you remove the matte film completely the rear side of the polarizer is glossy, which is why it looks good, but the problem is that it's very thin and prone to getting scratches. Finally, this method also opens up the possibility to give it just the degree of glossiness that you desire. Semi-glossy is an option with this method. You can customize it to suit your particular preference in screen finish.

If people are interested I can share more details about how to carry out this method. I've been meaning to share it with the community for a while now.
Did you experience eyestrain with your XG2431 before polishing the antiglare coating? If yes, did polishing the coating fix it? I wanted to ask you before I attempt to remove the coating on mine. I've never had a screen that causes me eyestrain in just a matter of seconds like this XG2431.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

mango87

Post by mango87 » 29 Apr 2022, 21:25

Something very strange is happening. I have my PC connected via DP and my PS4 connected via HDMI. The monitor no longer auto detects the HDMI port with the PS4 when it's on. I have to turn off auto-detect, or else it'll switch back to my PC, wait for the no signal message to appear, and then my PS4 screen would turn on. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. This is either a very disappointing bug or broken monitor that I received.

EDIT: After further testing, turning on PureXP and switching to the PS4 will mute the audio. I have to mute and unmute the audio to get it back. The HDMI port detection still doesn't work. I wonder if it's a firmware issue or I just got a bad monitor.

EDIT2: I can switch inputs via DDC/CI. This is an acceptable workaround to the bug. At least I can mute and unmute from my second monitor to get audio back. Thank you Chief for mentioning SoftMCCS.

mango87

Post by mango87 » 01 May 2022, 19:45

On an unrelated note, is it possible to request command line options for the Blur Busters Strobe Utility? I'd think it be very powerful to be able to script and run different strobe settings depending on the refresh rate.

illuwa

Post by illuwa » 04 May 2022, 21:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 15:58
It's an out-of-bounds exception error -- thank you for reporting this.

This is caused by DDC values being out of range.

TEMPORARY FIX OPTIONS
(A) To fix this, run Entech SoftMCCS and reset the extended DDC values back to 0, before reloading ViewSonic Strobe Utility;
-or-
(B) Another workaround is to temporarily edit ViewSonicStrobeUtility.ini and set maximum value to 255. Once done, launch, slide all values to 0, exit, and restore the old copy of ViewSonicStrobeUtility.ini. It will then function normally again.

This is already fixed in the next version of Strobe Utility. Out-of-range DDC values sometimes occur after a monitor firmware upgrade or a factory reset -- this creates the conditions to crash ViewSonic Strobe Utility.
Hi, I just wanted to post an update on this. Monitor still has been unable to adjust a majority of the settings, with the brightness seemingly shifting by itself when in use. No fixes seen to work even after trying to reset every part of the monitor that I can find. Something seems tangled up on the software end of my PC, because it functions fine when plugged into my laptop. Sorry to ask again, I might have to just reach out to Viewsonic and see if they have a solution.
PXL_20220505_023730864.jpg
PXL_20220505_023730864.jpg (4.6 MiB) Viewed 3053 times
PXL_20220505_023759575.jpg
PXL_20220505_023759575.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 3053 times
PXL_20220505_023736409.jpg
PXL_20220505_023736409.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 3053 times