New to monitors, questions about 240hz IPS

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lenslol

New to monitors, questions about 240hz IPS

Post by lenslol » 15 Jan 2021, 14:26

Hi there,

A brief background on my monitor journey, the first "nice" monitor I got for myself was on a budget, its the Acer XFA240, finally gaming on 144hz.
About a year ago I upgraded to the LG 27GL850, I wanted to enjoy games on a bigger screen, resolution, and IPS panel, while still not breaking the bank.
Now I've been thinking about retiring my Acer, and moving the LG to secondary. And this time, I've saved up to where I'm ready to spend big! :D

Questions I have~

The LG was recommended to me because it was a nice panel, low response time (using the second to lowest setting "faster" or something), and 144hz on a 27in, also not too expensive.
What I'm interested in now is going up to 240Hz QHD and true 1ms. I've heard a lot about backlight strobing and its wonders, but heard it can have problems on ips panels and then only go up to 120hz?

The games I play range from single player games to competitive games such as Valorant, League, and PUBG. So what would you recommend for this?

Basically, I'm looking for the best monitor money can buy under $1k (idk if monitors go above this?)
Would this monitor be a 240hz 27in qhd ips 1ms with backlight strobing, or is that combination of features something that doesn't exist yet?
At the very least, what is a significant upgrade from the 27GL850 I use now?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: New to monitors, questions about 240hz IPS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2021, 22:45

lenslol wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 14:26
What I'm interested in now is going up to 240Hz QHD and true 1ms.
There are several 27" 240Hz 1440p IPS monitors coming out this year. You'll need to wait a bit for them to come out.
lenslol wrote:
I've heard a lot about backlight strobing and its wonders, but heard it can have problems on ips panels and then only go up to 120hz?
Strobing works amazing well on newer "1ms IPS" panels that don't use KSF phosphor (www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor).

Some manufacturers (e.g. NVIDIA ULMB) cap their strobe rate to 120Hz or 144Hz because of poor quality strobing above 120Hz or 144Hz.

Other manufacturers (e.g. BenQ DyAc or ViewSonic PureXP) uncap the strobed refresh rates, let users choose their strobed refresh rate with higher quality low-Hz strobing or lower-quality high-Hz strobing.

Regardless of the situation, Refresh rate headroom is usually recommended if you prioritize on high-quality strobing, e.g. running at below max refresh rate, to improve strobe quality. You choose your tradeoff, since strobing at monitor's max-Hz can have more strobe crosstalk.

Even 120Hz strobing can have less motion blur than even a theoretical 500fps @ 500 Hz monitor, since motion blur is proportional to frame visibility time, independently of refresh rate. Flashing the frame briefer is like a faster camera shutter, which reduces motion blur. For more information about pixel response, see the two pixel response benchmarks Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT

That said, strobing has its pros/cons, and Blur Busters long-term preference is increasing refresh rates, since doubling Hz halves motion blur organically, ever closer and closer to real life. Generally, we recommend geometric upgrading of refresh rates (e.g. 60Hz -> 120Hz -> 240Hz -> 480Hz -> 960Hz) due to diminishing curve of returns.
lenslol wrote:
Basically, I'm looking for the best monitor money can buy under $1k (idk if monitors go above this?)
Would this monitor be a 240hz 27in qhd ips 1ms with backlight strobing, or is that combination of features something that doesn't exist yet?
At the very least, what is a significant upgrade from the 27GL850 I use now?
If you go above $1K, you can buy a MiniLED-backlit monitor for OLED-quality blacks.

However, if that is not your priority, a higher Hz can be beneficial if you can sustain the extra frame rate.

Be noted if you are high level competitive, 1080p 360Hz + 8000Hz mouse will produce a superior competitive experience. But a 1440p 240Hz NanoIPS-type panel can be a visual feast, if you have the GPU power to push those frames. Current 360 Hz monitors are not as wide-color-gamut as your LG 27GL850 because it's already a NanoIPS.

Be noted, NanoIPS uses KSF phosphor, so it has artifacts during strobing. But it's beautiful colors when non-strobed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lenslol

Re: New to monitors, questions about 240hz IPS

Post by lenslol » 17 Jan 2021, 00:22

Thank you Chief! Was looking forward to your reply.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 22:45
Strobing works amazing well on newer "1ms IPS" panels that don't use KSF phosphor (www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor).
Could you recommend a monitor that is 144hz 1ms IPS that doesn't use KSF phosphor?
The reason I don't want to go with blur buster recommended XG270 is because I don't think I would enjoy 1080p on a 27inch, I would prefer the 1440p.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Even 120Hz strobing can have less motion blur than even a theoretical 500fps @ 500 Hz monitor, since motion blur is proportional to frame visibility time, independently of refresh rate.

That said, strobing has its pros/cons, and Blur Busters long-term preference is increasing refresh rates, since doubling Hz halves motion blur organically, ever closer and closer to real life.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Be noted if you are high level competitive, 1080p 360Hz + 8000Hz mouse will produce a superior competitive experience. But a 1440p 240Hz NanoIPS-type panel can be a visual feast, if you have the GPU power to push those frames. Current 360 Hz monitors are not as wide-color-gamut as your LG 27GL850 because it's already a NanoIPS.

Be noted, NanoIPS uses KSF phosphor, so it has artifacts during strobing. But it's beautiful colors when non-strobed.
I suppose I need to rethink my approach to what I want, and what would be most helpful for me is a list of features and the tradeoffs so I can figure out how I want to prioritize things. Really I'm looking for something that can hit as many markers as possible, so kind of like the champion of the middle ground. I do want a decent competitive fpshooter experience but I don't want to be playing my more nicer looking games on a washed out TN panel. I do believe my LG does a good job at this. Could you add anything to this list and/or explain their importance and priority not just based on motion blur but like overall~
(colors, gamut, refresh rate, panel type, response time, strobing ...)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
However, if that is not your priority, a higher Hz can be beneficial if you can sustain the extra frame rate.

Also a question about supporting the frame rate~

What if some of the games won't run at more than 144 fps, for example "Mirrors Edge Catalyst", "GTAV". Does 240Hz still help? Will backlight strobing help more since then I only need to be hitting 120Hz (120 fps)?
I am really lost on the translation of refresh rate to fps needed to benefit.

Currently I'm running a 3900x with a 5700XT, until I can get my hands on an RTX 30 series card. So actually what can i realistically support? And once I do end up with a better gpu (hopefully a 3080) what will I be able to support then?

Thanks so much!