What is better GSYNC with 1% low or unlimited FPS with 1% low higher?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Caronizeeee

What is better GSYNC with 1% low or unlimited FPS with 1% low higher?

Post by Caronizeeee » 18 Jan 2021, 17:04

Hi guys, sorry for my English, I'm from Brazil.

Yesterday making some benchmarks with Riva + MSI Afterburner, I ran two Fortnite replay games (so exactly the same match in both benchmarks) and realized that when using Freesync ON + Vsync and low latency mode ON on the nvidia panel and limiting the FPS at 237 for the game itself, my 1% low in the game was approximately 170 and my average FPS was 237 fps. When using without Freesync and VSYNC on the nvidia panel, just using low latency mode in "ON" and unlimited FPS, my 1% low was approximately 230 fps and the average FPS was 345 fps during the game. The 0.1% low got a little higher with unlimited FPS too, about 10 / 15fps more on average. Now I wonder, based on these benchmarks, on a 240Hz monitor, which would be the best to compete? Which would have more consistency in general and why?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: What is better GSYNC with 1% low or unlimited FPS with 1% low higher?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2021, 23:58

Caronizeeee wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 17:04
Yesterday making some benchmarks with Riva + MSI Afterburner, I ran two Fortnite replay games (so exactly the same match in both benchmarks) and realized that when using Freesync ON + Vsync and low latency mode ON on the nvidia panel and limiting the FPS at 237 for the game itself, my 1% low in the game was approximately 170 and my average FPS was 237 fps. When using without Freesync and VSYNC on the nvidia panel, just using low latency mode in "ON" and unlimited FPS, my 1% low was approximately 230 fps and the average FPS was 345 fps during the game. The 0.1% low got a little higher with unlimited FPS too, about 10 / 15fps more on average. Now I wonder, based on these benchmarks, on a 240Hz monitor, which would be the best to compete? Which would have more consistency in general and why?
It depends on your goals, if you want lower lag or more lag consistency.

But you can get best-of-both-worlds by making sure G-SYNC range is bigger than framerate range (so it's not necessary to cap)

1. I need your high stats for G-SYNC.
What is your "1% high and "10% high" and "50% high"

2. G-SYNC works best when your "framerate range" is less than "VRR range". So upgrade to 360 Hz so you don't need G-SYNC caps. The game can fully organically breathe in the entire G-SYNC range.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Caronizeeee

Re: What is better GSYNC with 1% low or unlimited FPS with 1% low higher?

Post by Caronizeeee » 20 Jan 2021, 09:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 23:58
Caronizeeee wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 17:04
It depends on your goals, if you want lower lag or more lag consistency.

But you can get best-of-both-worlds by making sure G-SYNC range is bigger than framerate range (so it's not necessary to cap)

1. I need your high stats for G-SYNC.
What is your "1% high and "10% high" and "50% high"

2. G-SYNC works best when your "framerate range" is less than "VRR range". So upgrade to 360 Hz so you don't need G-SYNC caps. The game can fully organically breathe in the entire G-SYNC range.
I didn't find the data of 1% high, 10% high and 50% high in Afterburner, how would I do this measurement?

Do you tell me to use GSYNC ON (without vsync) and leave my FPS unlimited? I didn't understand the recommendation to get the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately here in Brazil the 360hz monitors are still arriving little by little and the lack of availability and the price still do not allow me to upgrade, but in the future I want to make this change, since my new processor is giving a lot of FPS in all games that I play.