Please help with frame tme issues!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
OCD Guy

Please help with frame tme issues!

Post by OCD Guy » 07 Feb 2021, 16:30

I am having an annoying issue that I really need assitance with.

I have a pretty powerful pc with 5950x, 3090, 32gb 3600Mhz CL14 ram, 980 Pro nvme etc and using an LG Oled that is G-Sync compatible

And in some of my games my frame time graphs were looking like this:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1288

It's almost like a constant frame time spike

I was able to achieve a perfectly flat frame time graph by capping my fps at a frame rate my pc could consistently deliver but it was annoying me that some games had a thinner line with no consistent frame time spike.

After trying countless things, even so much as a full re-installation of Windows 10 I ended up enabling Ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia Control Panel.

This has now resulted in this:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1289

So problem solved you could say, well after more digging it seems that Ultra low latency mode is NOT working in DX12 games, and with most new games being developed on DX12 this results in a problem for me.

The likes of Control on gamepass runs only on DX12 (steam versions has a launcher where you can revert to DX11).

So how would I go about capping or disabling pre-rendered frames in DX12 games?

And also can someone knoweledagble explain why having low latency mode set to off results in that constant frame time spike graph?
Attachments
Low latency mode off
Low latency mode off
frame times ultra on.png (13.06 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
Low latency mode on
Low latency mode on
frame times llm off.png (11.71 MiB) Viewed 1431 times

AddictFPS

Re: Please help with frame tme issues!

Post by AddictFPS » 09 Feb 2021, 12:54

Nvidia Profile Inspector / Sync and Refresh / Max pre-rendered frames, set 1.

At global profile for use it in all Apps and games, or in the game profile only for the game you want. I not tested it with DX12, but should work except if developer force it in the game code. If you monitorize VRAM usage, you can deduce if is working, seeing less VRAM usage with pre-rendered 1, classic double buffer.