SCREEN TEARING ON 360HZ GSYNC MONITOR (Overwatch)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Roy

SCREEN TEARING ON 360HZ GSYNC MONITOR (Overwatch)

Post by Roy » 12 Feb 2021, 05:13

so a month ago I bought the new Asus pg259qn monitor (360hz gsync one)
everything worked fine on 400 fps in game, smooth and no screen tearing.

today when I tried on practice range, I noticed screen tearing on 400 fps (no drops) on full screen.
when I cap it to 300 fps, everything works fine.
I assume its because the moment I cap it to 300, gsync do the job.
but I wonder why when I run the game at my refresh rate (even if its a custom 400 fps option or display based) I get screen tearing? never had it before.
even when I had 240hz monitor and I went 300 FPS - I didnt have tearing at all.

My Nvidia driver is up to date -> I rollback the driver to an older one (the one I had before the issue) -> it didnt fix it.
I unninstalled Nvidia driver with DDU - reinstalled windows - > installed the newst Nvidia driver - didnt fix.
Gsync works in the nvidia control panel, cable is on DP, 360hz selected in Windows and Nvidia control panel. 360hz also selected in Overwatch.
on my Nvidia settings I leave it on - let the application decide, I never had an issue with it so I leave it like that.
Vsync in game fix the problem - but its not a solution for me as it adds input lag.
I wonder if the problem is Windows update, Nvidia GPU driver, Overwatch update… what can cause it?
I didnt have this problem before, anyone knows what can be the issue?

sharknice

Re: SCREEN TEARING ON 360HZ GSYNC MONITOR (Overwatch)

Post by sharknice » 14 Feb 2021, 16:10

Unless you turn on vsync once you go over 360 fps you'll get tearing. Cap it at 355 and you'll be fine.