Alienware AW2721D

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
STOPchris

Re: Alienware AW2721D

Post by STOPchris » 03 Apr 2021, 19:01

Else2Easy wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 00:39
Bit of a bump..

I'm considering replacing my xl2730 1440p 144hz monitor with the AW2721d. I'm a tad concerned though as a few years ago I grabbed the pg279q and found that I struggled to use it in some fast paced games as well as counter strike, etc. I understand IPS has come quite a bit since then however.

My primary concern is really just getting something that performs as well as my previous xl2730 in games such as counter strike, etc. I've also considered the Dell s2721dgf if anyone has any opinions on that.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
For response times, the Alienware has a similar G2G average, a lower highest G2G and a slightly higher lowest G2G. The average for the BenQ is 3.4 and the Alienware 3.6.

For input lag, it really isn't even close, the Alienware is at 2.2 and the BenQ is 4.0.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/de ... onse_times

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/de ... 1d.htm#lag

Templardude

Post by Templardude » 05 Apr 2021, 09:56

Else2Easy wrote:
Bit of a bump..

I'm considering replacing my xl2730 1440p 144hz monitor with the AW2721d. I'm a tad concerned though as a few years ago I grabbed the pg279q and found that I struggled to use it in some fast paced games as well as counter strike, etc. I understand IPS has come quite a bit since then however.

My primary concern is really just getting something that performs as well as my previous xl2730 in games such as counter strike, etc. I've also considered the Dell s2721dgf if anyone has any opinions on that.

Wow, we are on the same train. I have the xl2730 gathering dust. Then I replaced it with a Dell S2716dg (now the secondary screen) followed by an Asus PG279 which I use for my main.

The Dell S2716dg was a very good monitor. I only replaced it because i have a bad habit of wanting to upgrade to something better.

I agree, the PG279 is not the best for FPS if your sensitive to blur/ghosting. I feel like I am missing more targets when playing FPSers than I used to on TN panels and especially CRTs. I've been using the Asus for two years I'm am also looking to replace it. I am hoping the AW2721D is it but waiting for more feedback and a sale would be nice. I might have to find the latest and greatest 1440p TN panel and go back to one of those.

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 05 Apr 2021, 10:57

Templardude wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 09:56
Else2Easy wrote:
Bit of a bump..

Wow, we are on the same train. I have the xl2730 gathering dust. Then I replaced it with a Dell S2716dg (now the secondary screen) followed by an Asus PG279 which I use for my main.

The Dell S2716dg was a very good monitor. I only replaced it because i have a bad habit of wanting to upgrade to something better.

I agree, the PG279 is not the best for FPS if your sensitive to blur/ghosting. I feel like I am missing more targets when playing FPSers than I used to on TN panels and especially CRTs. I've been using the Asus for two years I'm am also looking to replace it. I am hoping the AW2721D is it but waiting for more feedback and a sale would be nice. I might have to find the latest and greatest 1440p TN panel and go back to one of those.
I went from the PG258Q to the AW2721D and noticed an increase in performance in games, probably thanks to the lower processing lag. I guess if you're trying to join a team or something in valorant get a Benq 240hz or a 360hz monitor but if you just play ranked and some single player games then get the AW2721D.

Mike68

Post by Mike68 » 15 Apr 2021, 18:58

Hows the anti glare coating? Ive read its semi glossy, but im not sure about what that means in terms of image clarity. Is it more like a matte? Or more like a glossy?

wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit » 15 Apr 2021, 20:30

Edit: double posted deleting
Last edited by wolfspirit on 15 Apr 2021, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit » 15 Apr 2021, 20:40

Hi, wondering if there are any (happy) users of this IPS 240hz 1440p monitor that could help and also share their settings / experiences.

Basically I'm trying to wrap my head around the Smart HDR feature.

Firstly, there's the option to enable HDR in Windows itself. But as I understand the monitor should "smartly" switch over to HDR when it detects HDR content anyway. So is forcing this setting in Windows mandatory? How do I verify that the monitor is currently using HDR? Smart HDR in the firmware never seems be ON unless its enabled in Windows, and it pretty much looks like its always on if I forced it in windows.

Forcing HDR in Windows causes fullscreen non-HDR applications to have a massive alt-tab lag it seems. Very annoying, wondering if this is unique to this monitor or its windows and HDR in general. The downside is that without forcing HDR to be always on (in windows), I can't enable HDR in-game within titles like Cyberpunk 2077.

It seems like turning HDR on causes the "Brightness" setting to be disabled in the firmware control panel. Is this working as expected? I was able to circumvent this by lowering the Brightness in NVCP but I find this kind of odd.

Lastly, does anyone else find that the whites on the screen is glaringly bright relative to everything else? It also seems to have a solid blue-tone to it which glares even more strongly. What have you done to overcome this (apart from shafting the brightness down within NVCP.

These gripes aside, its my first foray into 2K and 240hz (going from 1K and 180Hz) so I'm lovin' it :)

StareX

Post by StareX » 17 Apr 2021, 10:36

Else2Easy wrote:
Bit of a bump..

Same here brother, I owned the PG279Q for over 3 years, and it is SO slow over the AW2721D..

The AW2721D is SUCH a nice refresh and far from what I expected. The response times and 240Hz makes a huge difference alongside the better colors over the PG279Q, trust me brother.. you wont be disappointed.

I play CS GO ans Valorant competitively and also COD Warzone, its just better than the ASUS.

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 17 Apr 2021, 10:59

wolfspirit wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 20:40
Hi, wondering if there are any (happy) users of this IPS 240hz 1440p monitor that could help and also share their settings / experiences.

Basically I'm trying to wrap my head around the Smart HDR feature.

Firstly, there's the option to enable HDR in Windows itself. But as I understand the monitor should "smartly" switch over to HDR when it detects HDR content anyway. So is forcing this setting in Windows mandatory? How do I verify that the monitor is currently using HDR? Smart HDR in the firmware never seems be ON unless its enabled in Windows, and it pretty much looks like its always on if I forced it in windows.
You only have to enable HDR in Windows if the game/application doesn't expose any HDR options if disabled in Windows. If you see smart HDR On then it's working fine.
Forcing HDR in Windows causes fullscreen non-HDR applications to have a massive alt-tab lag it seems. Very annoying, wondering if this is unique to this monitor or its windows and HDR in general. The downside is that without forcing HDR to be always on (in windows), I can't enable HDR in-game within titles like Cyberpunk 2077.
I turn HDR on in Windows before launching a game then turn it off after to avoid this.
It seems like turning HDR on causes the "Brightness" setting to be disabled in the firmware control panel. Is this working as expected? I was able to circumvent this by lowering the Brightness in NVCP but I find this kind of odd.
You can also turn down the HDR brightness in Windows. Click on Windows HD Colour Settings just above the Use HDR switch.
Lastly, does anyone else find that the whites on the screen is glaringly bright relative to everything else? It also seems to have a solid blue-tone to it which glares even more strongly. What have you done to overcome this (apart from shafting the brightness down within NVCP.
Yup I was getting a lot of eye strain and fatigue even with the brightness under 10%. The whites are too bright for me at 75% contrast so setting such a low brightness I would find it difficult to see things in dark areas which I think was just adding to the problem. I set my contrast to 62% and now I have zero issues even at 35% brightness. Just use the brightness and contrast adjustments on the monitor instead of NVCP.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 17 Apr 2021, 14:02

I would recommend getting an 8,000Hz mouse as well. I got the Corsair Sabre RGB Pro (because I will never buy any Razer products) and you really can feel a difference. The monitor already has VERY low lag, but the 8,000Hz mouse makes it even more responsive.

StareX

Post by StareX » 21 Apr 2021, 03:45

To anyone who owns this monitor..

Can you see the 240Hz parameter inside CRU? Custom Resolution Utility ?

I cant set nor find a 240Hz option inside CRU, I only see 144hz and other modes..