Alienware AW2721D

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
STOPchris

Alienware AW2721D

Post by STOPchris » 25 Feb 2021, 15:23

I didn't see a thread for the Alienware AW2721D. I originally bought a XB253Q from Acer, but it has image retention issues if the dark boost is over 4. I am wanting to give the AW2721D a try because of the increased resolution. Has anyone had the temporary image retention issues with the AW2721D? I tried to do a search here and on Google and have not been able to find anything about the issue, so that is a good sign. If I search for the Acer and image retention I can find the issue. Any information would be very helpful.

StareX

Re: Alienware AW2721D

Post by StareX » 25 Feb 2021, 17:32

Hey,

Wow, I was just about to make an Owners thread or just a thread about the AW2721D XD

Since I own it and my best friend owns it too, we just got it yesterday!

Image retention issue? Can you tell me how it looks like or how it should look like since I can't tell anything wrong with this monitor except it being just awesome..

Colors are great, refresh rate is great and even the Extreme OD on this monitor is great, yes there's pixel overshoot but I can hardly tell it's there when I move around, it's responsive af.

---
You mean burn in? Because only if I turn off my monitor it leaves a very very very dark representation of what was on my screen when I pressed the power button, I doubt it's that image retention since I don't get this when the monitor is actively used... Is that it?

So no, I don't even know what to look for, there is barely any BLB.. looks like both me and my friend got good panels, nor issues with image retention or ghosting or whatnot.. Let me know how I can do a test for you :)

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 25 Feb 2021, 22:23

StareX wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 17:32
Hey,

Wow, I was just about to make an Owners thread or just a thread about the AW2721D XD

Image retention issue? Can you tell me how it looks like or how it should look like since I can't tell anything wrong with this monitor except it being just awesome..

Colors are great, refresh rate is great and even the Extreme OD on this monitor is great, yes there's pixel overshoot but I can hardly tell it's there when I move around, it's responsive af.

---
You mean burn in? Because only if I turn off my monitor it leaves a very very very dark representation of what was on my screen when I pressed the power button, I doubt it's that image retention since I don't get this when the monitor is actively used... Is that it?

So no, I don't even know what to look for, there is barely any BLB.. looks like both me and my friend got good panels, nor issues with image retention or ghosting or whatnot.. Let me know how I can do a test for you :)
Wait, does that faint image go away after a while? That is really weird. I actually did buy it and received it today. So far the quality is great. Out of the box calibration looks really good, but I will end up calibrating it. The response time looks really good as well, I played Call of Duty Cold War and it looks really good. There was no evident overshoot at the default "fast" setting, which is recommended in every review of this monitor. I didn't find any pixel issues yet, but don't expect to with Dell's premium pixel policy. There is only slight back light bleed, normal for IPS. If this checks out over time, I might end up being a Dell monitor guy. I bought two Acer monitors in the last several years, both have issues...

I am going to test it pretty hard for image retention issues though. I'll probably leave up the UFO test for a while and see if that initiates the issue.

StareX

Post by StareX » 26 Feb 2021, 05:44

STOPchris wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 22:23
StareX wrote:
Hey,

---

Wait, does that faint image go away after a while? That is really weird. I actually did buy it and received it today. So far the quality is great. Out of the box calibration looks really good, but I will end up calibrating it. The response time looks really good as well, I played Call of Duty Cold War and it looks really good. There was no evident overshoot at the default "fast" setting, which is recommended in every review of this monitor. I didn't find any pixel issues yet, but don't expect to with Dell's premium pixel policy. There is only slight back light bleed, normal for IPS. If this checks out over time, I might end up being a Dell monitor guy. I bought two Acer monitors in the last several years, both have issues...

I am going to test it pretty hard for image retention issues though. I'll probably leave up the UFO test for a while and see if that initiates the issue.

Yes it goes away :)

Try disabling Eco mode? Probably that's what does it.. Either way it's not a deal breaker, I believe I read somewhere that once the Fan in the monitor stops once the monitor is off then the image goes away and the monitor goes black like it's plugged out.

It's not something that will break it, it won't make sense.. it's by design, it's there for a reason.

Overall man, this monitor is just plain simple great and better than whatever I used in my past, movies.. games, browsing web is just dayum~~

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 26 Feb 2021, 15:17

StareX wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 05:44
STOPchris wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 22:23
StareX wrote:
Hey,

---

Try disabling Eco mode? Probably that's what does it.. Either way it's not a deal breaker, I believe I read somewhere that once the Fan in the monitor stops once the monitor is off then the image goes away and the monitor goes black like it's plugged out.

It's not something that will break it, it won't make sense.. it's by design, it's there for a reason.

Overall man, this monitor is just plain simple great and better than whatever I used in my past, movies.. games, browsing web is just dayum~~
I would look more into that image retention issue that you are having when you power down the monitor, it does not seem normal and I do not have that issue. I do have the ECO mode on though, as I do not have a reason to turn it off yet.

Overall, the monitor is REALLY solid so far. This might be better than my XB273K 144Hz 4K monitor. It has tighter response times for sure. The XB273K is noticeably sharper though, being 4K.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 26 Feb 2021, 15:30

I forgot to mention, the input lag on this monitor is VERY low.

StareX

Post by StareX » 26 Feb 2021, 15:54

STOPchris wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 15:30
I know right?

And I opened my monitor today this morning and tested it, turned it off and the image wasnt there..

Maybe once the monitor is active, and the fan is spinning it will try to preserve the panel and keep it safe? And once the monitor is cool enough itll fully turn it self off? As a safety measure?

Because it didnt happen to me when I was just not using it, only when I used it for several hours and then couple of minutes later it turned completely black.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 26 Feb 2021, 22:06

StareX wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 15:54
STOPchris wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 15:30
I know right?

And I opened my monitor today this morning and tested it, turned it off and the image wasnt there..

Maybe once the monitor is active, and the fan is spinning it will try to preserve the panel and keep it safe? And once the monitor is cool enough itll fully turn it self off? As a safety measure?

Because it didnt happen to me when I was just not using it, only when I used it for several hours and then couple of minutes later it turned completely black.
Yeah, it could be just taking time to turn off for the reason that you stated, but I'm surprised they didn't just turn off the screen and leave the fan going until it cools down. Maybe the Chief Blur Buster would know more about this?

samlar

Post by samlar » 02 Mar 2021, 07:33

Hey,

---

Greetings
I'm new to the whole thing and I've just bought the AW2721D but could you tell what the EKO mode actually does except what it should do according to commercials?
Mono un Mono

StareX

Post by StareX » 02 Mar 2021, 17:50

samlar wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 07:33
Hey,

---

Greetings
I'm new to the whole thing and I've just bought the AW2721D but could you tell what the EKO mode actually does except what it should do according to commercials?

I suppose that Eco mode just keeps the monitor safe on standby mode, it saves energy supposedly..
Though I don't see it effecting the 240Hz performance, everything is smooth.. Eco mode just talks about Wattage/Power draw..
So not really sure tbh.