Dell AW2521H vs Asus ROG PG259QN

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
xtml_

Dell AW2521H vs Asus ROG PG259QN

Post by xtml_ » 02 Mar 2021, 10:25

Hello guys!
I was wondering which one of this 360Hz monitors is better to FPS games. Asking due to fact that both have overshoot on max response time, so 1ms latency is not usable. I've also noticed that Dell have "extra esport gsync" but I'm sceptic. I aslo want to add that I consider buying rtx 3080/3070 to get this 360 fps in games like Valorant, CS:GO that I'm currently playing.Moreover which CPU do you propose amd stuff or intel? Initially I think about I9-10900k.
Best regards,
xtml_

StareX

Re: Dell AW2521H vs Asus ROG PG259QN

Post by StareX » 02 Mar 2021, 17:48

So both of these monitors use the same panel, seems like the Alienware one does better job on color accuracy and response times.

But both of them are quite the same in terms of what they can offer atm, they're not top of their line and they're the first 360Hz monitors as for now..

And getting over 300+ fps in CS GO or Valorant a RTX 2060 or even a GTX 1070 can produce these frames, it's the CPU that matters here most.
1080p especially uses more CPU than GPU nowadays, so opt for a 3070 if you can find one, it'll do the trick for Valorant/CSGO.

AMD or Intel are both good CPUs, latency-wise Intel CPUs are better but if you're looking for practicality then AMD might be better for you, maybe an AMD 5800X or a 5600X..

You can see benchmarks on youtube if you're curious about their performance..

TrantaLocked

Post by TrantaLocked » 03 Aug 2021, 05:27

Anyone have first hand experience comparing the motion clarity on both? RTINGS review shows the Alienware is quite ahead in motion clarity but I wonder how visible that actually is.

wlundstrom

Post by wlundstrom » 04 Aug 2021, 06:29

Zero difference, i have tested both. PG259QN felt better overall so I went with that.
ASUS 24" VG248QE | ASUS 25" PG259QN

TrantaLocked

Post by TrantaLocked » 04 Aug 2021, 23:02

wlundstrom wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 06:29
Zero difference, i have tested both. PG259QN felt better overall so I went with that.
Yeah I just got a PG259QN and at least in Normal mode it looks the same if not a tad cleaner than the Alienware AW2521H in Super Fast mode. However, the Alienware's Fast (default) mode has a shorter blur trail than the Asus in OD Off mode so it's better if you want zero over drive, but the OD settings on these monitors are really good and have no perceived overshoot in typical usage. Because I like the overdrive setting I would be using Super Fast on the Alienware or Normal on the Asus and be equally happy.

One of the main reasons I wanted to try the Asus is because it has a gamma setting. I'm not too happy with the Alienware lacking a basic function like gamma. I use my monitor in a pitch black room 90% of the time so half the content I watch would actually look more correct at 2.4 gamma, but the only way to get close to that is SPORTS mode which hits color accuracy on the reds which is unsettling to look at. I can use NVCP to change the gamma but I also play console games and many don't have a gamma setting in them. It just seems like such a basic thing to miss that Asus and other monitors have. Otherwise the Alienware is great. And you know what, I think I might just do the unthinkable here and keep both and have a two monitor setup. It just clicked as I had the Olympics on one screen and my PS3 on the other next to it and I realized that.

Does anyone else get a hot bezel on the Alienware particularly on the bottom left corner after a few hours power on time at 50%+ brightness? And does anyone see a different color temperature and brightness at 60Hz on the Asus?

--------------

I'm kind of leaning towards the Asus for a few reasons.

The first few key reasons are the Asus has both a gamma control and profile-independent RGB saturation and level controls. On the Alienware you can only do either RGB saturation in Game modes or RGB level in Custom mode, and the other modes cannot be modified. The SPORTS mode could have been a 2.3/2.4-ish gamma mode if it hadn't been for the inaccurate saturation levels for red and green that's a little lifeless looking. In most cases you will be able to control gamma at the source side (PC, or games with a gamma/brightness setting) but in the cases you can't, then you just have to deal with a slightly dull picture. You have complete control on the Asus, which does come out of the box slightly more color accurate but this difference is nearly imperceivable even with both next to each other.

The volume controlled audio out is in the main port bay away from view, which is on paper not really an advantage because the Alienware has both a line out and a headphone out, but for me I'd be using only one port and the one that's volume controlled on the Alienware is up under the front bezel where the cable will be more in view and annoying. I want the volume controlled port to my speakers because game line level is usually too loud on the mix with my Windows audio even when it's set to max volume.

There are a couple other minor things. The Asus sticks out less from the base, which allows me to keep it at the distance I want it from my eyes. It also has cooler bezels but these panels have operation tolerances up to over 50C so it isn't really a huge issue.

The Alienware does have advantages. The stock 0% overshoot Fast setting is cleaner than the Asus OD off, but at the middle OD setting both look about the same. The input lag at 60Hz is a tad better by a few ms in the middle. The physical design of the Alienware is more subtle and professional, with a slightly higher quality to the materials and the button feel. You can set inputs to the quick select buttons and there are two HDMIs rather than the single on the Asus, and the RGB is a bit better and more controllable including the power button color. The Alienware also has the two quick access USB ports and headphone out at the bottom bezel, with one of the USB ports supporting Nvidia Reflex analyzer (which the PG259QNR but not the base QN supports), whereas the USB ports on the Asus are back a bit in the main port bay.

Both monitors do the bulk of the work quite well. For both monitors, color accuracy is nearly perfect, motion clarity is excellent with the middle Overdrive setting and ULMB being equally impressive, G-sync works fantastically, and the build quality is great. Most of the bells and whistles you would want are there. For the majority of people I don't see any reasons to definitively tell them to get one over the other. Both are amazing 1080p monitors.

fluxxr

Post by fluxxr » 09 Aug 2021, 23:07

Any updates on your choice and opinions tranta with your further testing last month?

TrantaLocked

Post by TrantaLocked » 10 Aug 2021, 01:52

fluxxr wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 23:07
Any updates on your choice and opinions tranta with your further testing last month?
I would just say pick the one you like the design of more unless one of the things I mentioned earlier matters more to you. My personal choice was actually both in a dual setup as I love them too much and realized I would really enjoy the flexibility. I recently found 60Hz mode has a wider/more saturated color space than other refresh modes on both monitors but I'm not sure why yet.

If I cared only about OD Off response time I would lean Alienware. The Asus picks it up more at OD Normal where it looks slightly better than the Alienware Super Fast. If I cared more about the gamma and color controls I would pick the Asus. By and large these are essentially the same monitor in a different shell. Colors and general experience are pretty much the same.