BenQ XL2540K or Asus VG258QM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tosspek

Re: BenQ XL2540K or Asus VG258QM

Post by tosspek » 19 Nov 2021, 18:01

Silliker wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 14:31
tosspek wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 19:40
Boomchakadah wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 16:50
Falkentyne wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 15:33

In order to check ghosting, you MUST use Standard Mode. The other modes do whacky stuff to the RGBYCM (red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta) color channels (Hue/Saturation). Standard Mode also has Black Equalizer default to 0, which is the correct non processed setting. (NOTE: Older Benq monitors, possibly the Mstar scaler models(?) caused extreme black crush if Black Equalizer was set to 0, thus once again, Standard Mode should be used). Then check your gamma settings to make sure you are at 2.2 gamma. Gamma 5 is the 2.2 point on my XL2746S, but this ma be different for 24" panels. Lower (brighter) gamma levels also affect the ghosting, but not as much as Black Equalizer higher than 0 does. On my XL2746S, EQ=4 shows a large decrease in how the primary and secondary ghost trails look, but this causes unnatural colors due to BEQ doing stuff to the image.

The input lag issue a few people repored is something else entirely. Someone mentioned shots not registering despite being direct headshots (this can only be caused by some sort of monitor side lag) on the XL2546K. I can't replicate this at all on the XL2746S, so I assume the XL2546S is similar.
- I used my XL2546K in standard mode with Black Equalizer on 0 (not only because BEQ is buggy on the XL2546K, but also because I don't like using it in general.)

- The S and K versions have different OSD menus and different factory menus. The OD gain on the K versions doesn't have those numbers and letters. The OD gain can be adjusted from 0 to 15. On my unit, even with AMA off and OD gain on 0, there was still a powdery trail behind the UFO. Unlike a 280Hz IPS ACER I had next to it that had a normal blur trail behind the UFO.
Hi, is it possible that you can tell me your best settings for your main Asus VG258QM 280Hz TN monitor? I play only Apex Legends. I want to buy and test this specific TN panel, but I have no clue for good FPS settings.

btw: are you still happy with your VG258QM? :)
hey man,
I play alot of Apex on this monitor, recently I have been using overclock to 280hz , no Gsync , no ELMB, no in game Vsync (sometime double buffered if I am noticing screen tearing , input lag isn't perceivable if you can push high frames) , cap game FPS at 240 or 278 , OD lvl set to 3 on monitor, usually FPS or Racing color setting with a good amount of vivid pixel which I find helps to spot enemies.
Thank thats about it, feels really responsive with minimal motion blur . I find ELMB makes it too hard to spot enemies and input lag may be perceivable
Oh hello :) Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and nice to hear you play Apex too! Helps me a lot and I do really appreciate this, sounds great! I keep an eye on the VG258QM, maybe I can grab this monitor on a good black friday deal next week here in germany/europe and will test it extensively.
XL2746S 1080p 240Hz TN // XG258Q 1080p 240Hz TN

ms.potatoe

Post by ms.potatoe » 24 Nov 2021, 15:32

I have uploaded a VG258QM ufo. Settings adaptativesync on, OD 3, 280Hz, 960pps.

https://youtu.be/4PlAUgBQcDw

IMO more clearer than XL2546K without Dyac. Good job ASUS with a 5 years old panel xd.

newbworld

Post by newbworld » 03 Aug 2023, 00:09

Falkentyne wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 00:22
I found OD: 1A works perfectly with absolutely no inverse ghosting or 'excessive' normal ghosting, with blur reduction/DyAc off (disabled).
1F (these are hexadecimal values) starts to show just the slightest amount of inverse ghosting on some transitions.

15 (default for blur reduction enabled + AMA High) is a bit too low.
Unfortunately values are not persistent and will reset when you change refresh rates.
hi, how do you manually adjust the OD hex value?
I've been suffering from ghosting/smearing artifact issues that make me want to smash my monitor
can you or someone know how to do this?
I really wish they have OD level settings from 0 to 100