anyone here has Asus vg258QM ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
alexander1986

anyone here has Asus vg258QM ?

Post by alexander1986 » 21 Mar 2021, 20:35

would be interesting to see if the strobing/crosstalk quality and overdrive is improved on this TN version compared to the IPS models vg259qm / vg279qm, tried finding reviews with pics or videos but can't find any so far !

thanks in advance, cheers !

reffp

Re: anyone here has Asus vg258QM ?

Post by reffp » 22 Mar 2021, 10:18

you have a good review on newegg and on youtube the comments on the chinese review bring some light from a owner of one , i was going to get the msi254rx but just waiiting for more info on the vg

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 22 Mar 2021, 15:19

reffp wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 10:18
you have a good review on newegg and on youtube the comments on the chinese review bring some light from a owner of one , i was going to get the msi254rx but just waiiting for more info on the vg
Careful throwing around the word "good". Heh.

The person who left the newegg review posted on this forum as well. After reading its a pretty vague, non-technical subjective overview of someone who sounds like they are new and never gamed on any type of fast panel before. He was literally comparing a 240hz(280hz) gaming monitor to an old outdated non-gaming IPS panel. Is it mind boggling that he was excited and impressed jumping to a 240hz panel over some garbage 60hz IPS panel? No, not really.

I am definitely interested in seeing a professional review from someone who knows how to compare gaming monitors, but I havnt seen one out just yet. I am right in the middle of a monitor decision myself and would like a good comparison between this 8QM and previous 9QM or similar fast ips panels and maybe with the XL2546K benq.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 22 Mar 2021, 17:39

masterblaster wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 15:19
reffp wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 10:18
Careful throwing around the word "good". Heh.

The person who left the newegg review posted on this forum as well. After reading its a pretty vague, non-technical subjective overview of someone who sounds like they are new and never gamed on any type of fast panel before. He was literally comparing a 240hz(280hz) gaming monitor to an old outdated non-gaming IPS panel. Is it mind boggling that he was excited and impressed jumping to a 240hz panel over some garbage 60hz IPS panel? No, not really.

I am definitely interested in seeing a professional review from someone who knows how to compare gaming monitors, but I havnt seen one out just yet. I am right in the middle of a monitor decision myself and would like a good comparison between this 8QM and previous 9QM or similar fast ips panels and maybe with the XL2546K benq.

+1 agreed !

Tea Punk

Post by Tea Punk » 25 Mar 2021, 14:34

Haha that was me, I tried to acknowledge that I'm just a casual competitive gamer with no tech knowledge or tools and that I only had subjective opinion comparative to something outdated :) From the scathing replies I always I always get in reddit and discord to my opinions I already know it sounded like tech nerds would have preferred that I'd have written nothing at all, but I wanted to share my honest joy and perspective (sorry I represent the consumer base of people who know what they want, but not the knowledge to talk about it in depth, that's why I come here to read and talk) while acknowledging it for what it is. Like I said, I know that other more scientific people are going to bring more factual information on it soon, so...

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 26 Mar 2021, 07:30

Tea Punk wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 14:34
Haha that was me, I tried to acknowledge that I'm just a casual competitive gamer with no tech knowledge or tools and that I only had subjective opinion comparative to something outdated :) From the scathing replies I always I always get in reddit and discord to my opinions I already know it sounded like tech nerds would have preferred that I'd have written nothing at all, but I wanted to share my honest joy and perspective (sorry I represent the consumer base of people who know what they want, but not the knowledge to talk about it in depth, that's why I come here to read and talk) while acknowledging it for what it is. Like I said, I know that other more scientific people are going to bring more factual information on it soon, so...
Absolutely. Nothing wrong with that. Thats great. Just stating that the experienced people like myself need technical comparisons and reviews with the details that are important to these monitors. Saying a monitor is good because I like it is great for the person saying it, but ultimately completely useless information to most others without some direct comparison to other models in the same category.

I would guess that when there are some reviews out on the VG258QM that is ends up being pretty much the same identical monitor to the 9QM, just with worse colors, worse viewing angles etc. I am interested in what the input lag, response times and motion clarity are like though. I dont see them somehow improving any of those things over the IPS version.