Monitor turned off - showing picture with light

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discoboogie

Monitor turned off - showing picture with light

Post by Discoboogie » 06 Apr 2021, 02:51

Hello Blurbusters

I have an AW2521H which I am generally satisfied with, however I have noticed something strange. When I turn the monitor off on the on/off button on the right, but the computer is turned on - I can still vaguely see the image on the screen under strong light from my desklamp. In total darkness it remains black. Is this normal?

Thank you beforehand.

Best regards

ashrr

Re: Monitor turned off - showing picture with light

Post by ashrr » 06 Apr 2021, 12:25

I guess it is normal with newer Alienware monitors since I have the same issue with my AW2721D.

Discoboogie

Post by Discoboogie » 06 Apr 2021, 13:07

Ah I see. I just decided to use the desktop sleep function together with ecomode on the mode after 2 min - only turning the monitor off when Im shutting down the pc. Its weird tho, seems like the shutuff button only disables the backlight.

Ah i see, guess we have to use the microsoft sleep and the monitor eco mode than :)
Last edited by RealNC on 06 Apr 2021, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2021, 18:10

Some monitors sleep mode turns off only the backlight, but keeps the LCD active. It's only about a couple wats of power to keep a panel alive, which is useful for instant-wake. (Though 360 Hz may use more power). I am curious how much power standby uses though.

Possibility #1
I suspect there is multiple levels of power management, where the basic level is turning off backlight (Often 90%+ of a monitor's power), and progresses to full hibernation (complete pause of the monitor's electronics), after various time thresholds --

Possibility #2
LCD panels takes between a few seconds to a few minutes to decay fully. If power is cut off abruptly to the panel (without wiping the LCD first with a blank refresh), the image is preserved on an unpowered LCD and gradually fades away. (LCD screens have a temporary memory retention effect like DRAM after an abrupt power removal -- if you cool down sufficiently enough, the image is even preserved for several minutes!) This happens more often when suddenly unplugging a monitor (giving monitor no time to wipe the screen's TFT memory state). Much slower in cold rooms than in hotter rooms.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Discoboogie

Post by Discoboogie » 07 Apr 2021, 14:24

Thank you for your reply Chief. Possibility #1 was true, first the backlight turned off and later the lcd turned off aswell :-) It was not number 2 as i could see a video playing.