can someone tell me which component on an oced laptop display is to be cooled

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Tidles

can someone tell me which component on an oced laptop display is to be cooled

Post by Tidles » 10 Apr 2021, 06:49

Hello!
I was in search for a different monitor with higher Hz to swap out my 60 Hz laptop monitor with a LVDS 40 pin connector.
Gaming at higher Hz was so much better on friends PCs that i needed to give it a shot.
My laptop is a Medion Erazer x7815 or MSI GT 780 with an I7 2920xm and Quadro m4000m.
Only eDP seem to be avaiable tho and I couldnt find an easy way with an LVDS to eDP Adapter.
So there was no easy way for me in this direction and I searched for another solution.

What I found out today was just "OCing" the Display throu the NVIDIA Panel. I kept on going higher and higher until I reached 90Hz...which seemed awfully lot for me. Considering its 50% higher then stock.
I tested with the MotionTest and there is no frameskipping to be seen even with a second apperture.
Im high spirited right now because I can clearly see a difference in how games and browsing look.

My concern is the Display itself...that it might run to hot and im thinking about cooling the Unit which is responsible for the Hz controlling.
I am fine with modifying things, I had to modify my GPU cooler to fit the m4000m, applied liquid metal thermal compound to the CPU and GPU and made the components save where they needed it with electrical tape. I have thermal conductive adhesive too to get a thin metal sheet to stick to the unit which has to be cooled. But I am not 100% sure what on the back of the Display I have to get cooled.
I attached a dhoto of my spare display, so you could give me some advise. I think it is the 1,3cm*1,3cm controlling unit on the bottom center but im not sure. Plus there might be something I am forgetting which should be taken a look at too.
IMG_20210410_133835.jpg
IMG_20210410_133835.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 877 times
Thanks in advance!

Tidles

Re: can someone tell me which component on an oced laptop display is to be cooled

Post by Tidles » 16 Apr 2021, 15:26

Can noone share some of his knowledge with me? :)