144Hz vs 240hz vs 360hz Test

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
PirateNinjaInPijamas

144Hz vs 240hz vs 360hz Test

Post by PirateNinjaInPijamas » 12 Apr 2021, 00:39

Hello Blur Busters forum. I read a lot of the posts here but i rarely write something. I wanna thank you for all this knowledge you share! So, to my subject. I own 2 240hz monitors, Omen x25f / Aw2720hf. I own a 360hz monitor, aw2521h. I own the samsung odyssey G7 32'' 1440p 240hz superfast va panel. At the past years i had many many more monitors. I mostly play Overwatch, i'm a hitscan player mostly playing mcree and i'm a decent Tracer too when the team needs it. I've peaked 3700sr now im at 3400. Not your best player out there not the worst either. I casually play Apex Legends and some other fps as well. So long story short.... At 240hz TN i'm a good player ! i pretty much hit my shots, nothing fancy sometimes i pop off sometimes nah. At 240Hz Ips 27'' i'm not really good. There is a lot of motion blur, this monitor is kinda slow for my taste and i don't really like it. The samsung 32'' is out of the equation for competitive play, it's too big. Now at 360Hz... i'm worse. I tried every setting, ulmb at 240hz, everything i could possibly do. I'm a worse player with this monitor. Now the big difference in my aim has been consistent for a month now and i want to share/ask advice on that with your knowledge. Is there an advantage when the framerate is massively more than the Hz ? When i put my X25f at 144Hz, i aim the best. My fps at overwatch is around 370, kinda flucs from 400 to 320. I tried 144Hz with the other monitors as well but the aw2521h is too blurry and the 27'' is even worse. The Tn is actually pretty good at 144Hz. But my aim is so consistent when playing 144Hz with the TN, i'm like an aim god. I even farm at apex legends which i dont play much. Is there any chance my mind is processing wrong the enemies movement at super high HZ and messes my aim? Any ideas ? Notice here that if i lock my fps at 144, i dont aim as good. So i kinda think that has something to do with FPS being almost 3x HZ ?Thanks for your time reading my weird post.

UNKKit

Re: 144Hz vs 240hz vs 360hz Test

Post by UNKKit » 12 Apr 2021, 01:28

Are you using motion blur functionality on your monitors? If your framerates drop below the refresh rate then motion blur is bad. You need constant frame rate equal to your monitor refresh rate for optimal clarity.
Alienware AW2521H (main) |Acer XF252QX |5600x |3080 |3600CL16

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 12 Apr 2021, 03:18

Firstly in Overwatch if you are on a GTX 900 series or better GPU: update your drivers, disable Reduce Buffering, uncap your frame rate and turn on Reflex (not On+Boost) while disabling ULL in the NVCP and any external frame rate limiter. That will do its best to get you maximising your frame rate for the given game situation and settings. You can then modify your graphics settings and test in a mid-fight section of replay until you're satisfied you're getting roughly 360 FPS minimum. If you haven't turned on high-precision

I believe you also still need to ensure you're running Overwatch with Fullscreen Optimisations disabled, and with DPI scaling controlled by the system, both of which are in the Compatibility tab for the properties of the application.

On the mouse side of things, I would explore moving your DPI beyond 400/800/1600 as has been the standard, and instead look at 2400-3600 DPI as your mouse sensor will comfortably allow with causing issues and then adjust sensitivity accordingly. Mark has previously pointed out that lower DPI settings will start to hamper longer mouse movements (think turns and slow tracking) as you climb in refresh rate.

All these system latency numbers and stutters really start to add up when you're sub 3ms per frame refresh (not that the response times on this new tech exactly deliver that crisply).

PirateNinjaInPijamas

Post by PirateNinjaInPijamas » 12 Apr 2021, 07:24

UNKKit wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 01:28
Are you using motion blur functionality on your monitors? If your framerates drop below the refresh rate then motion blur is bad. You need constant frame rate equal to your monitor refresh rate for optimal clarity.
I've tried to use it on my AW2521H(sadly at 240Hz can't do ulmb at 360) and at my G7 32'' but this blur reduction is not for me. I can't focus at the game and my eyes/head will start to get like dizzy? Can't really find the exact word sorry for my bad English. So that's the main reason i haven't buy the XL2546K yet, cause i'm pretty sure dyac won't do the job for me. As for the frame rate is almost constantly at 399 fps except some minor drops here and there. But i have always check and it's not the frame drops that causing my problems. It's even there when i play deathmatch as well and the fps never drop below 399 in dm.
jasswolf wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 03:18
Firstly in Overwatch if you are on a GTX 900 series or better GPU: update your drivers, disable Reduce Buffering, uncap your frame rate and turn on Reflex (not On+Boost) while disabling ULL in the NVCP and any external frame rate limiter. That will do its best to get you maximising your frame rate for the given game situation and settings. You can then modify your graphics settings and test in a mid-fight section of replay until you're satisfied you're getting roughly 360 FPS minimum. If you haven't turned on high-precision

I believe you also still need to ensure you're running Overwatch with Fullscreen Optimisations disabled, and with DPI scaling controlled by the system, both of which are in the Compatibility tab for the properties of the application.

On the mouse side of things, I would explore moving your DPI beyond 400/800/1600 as has been the standard, and instead look at 2400-3600 DPI as your mouse sensor will comfortably allow with causing issues and then adjust sensitivity accordingly. Mark has previously pointed out that lower DPI settings will start to hamper longer mouse movements (think turns and slow tracking) as you climb in refresh rate.

All these system latency numbers and stutters really start to add up when you're sub 3ms per frame refresh (not that the response times on this new tech exactly deliver that crisply).
I now own a 6800xt gpu. I've owned a 3070 but my fps would drop more often and i couldn't get my hands on a 3080, so i've decided to put on sale my 360Hz monitor (haven't sell it yet) which is G-sync native and went for the Amd card. Very powerful and i play in really low settings (75% render and all low), i've tried reduce buffering on and off and nothing really changes for me, i always have it off, I don't use anti-lag or ull when i had the 3070 gpu and i don't use external fps limiters.I also never use VRR. So 99% of the situations i'm constantly over 370 fps. I've triple checked that. I have my mobile phone tracking the fps constantly with a graph next to me. As for fullscreen optimisations & dpi scaling are in check. I've also tried debloated windows from Freethy YT guide and other input lag optimitations.I'm kinda addicted to these things i guess. I use process lasso and run my games at high priority always so all these are in check. I also have High precision on since i bought the Viper 8k 3 months ago. I also use Mark's mouse registry tweak. What i haven't use till now is a DPI above 1600 and will do that for further testing. Thanks for your advice! Will post back.
And don't get me wrong. EVERYTHING looks great and smooth. REALLY smooth at 360hz. It's just i can't aim as good. When in 144 and uncapped fps, an enemy spams ADAD&crouch, i can track it/predict it properly and hit my shots. With 240 & especially 360, it's like something throws my aim way off. Anyway, i saw improvement going from 800dpi to 1600. I'll try even higher and see how that goes. Thank you SO MUCH for replying to my post guys !

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 19 Apr 2021, 09:10

Overdrive, response time pixel, etc, dude. lower hertz - more overshooting,
the image is more sharper

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 09:19

PirateNinjaInPijamas wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 00:39
But my aim is so consistent when playing 144Hz with the TN, i'm like an aim god. I even farm at apex legends which i dont play much. Is there any chance my mind is processing wrong the enemies movement at super high HZ and messes my aim? Any ideas ? Notice here that if i lock my fps at 144, i dont aim as good. So i kinda think that has something to do with FPS being almost 3x HZ ?Thanks for your time reading my weird post.
Both IPS and TN ghosts more as a percentage of refresh cycle (shorter refresh cycle for same GtG) the higher the Hz you go. 360 Hz TN will have similiar aim training degradation problems if GtG remains an issue on TN 360Hz (TN isn't yet quite fast enough to do 360Hz at 100% completely ghost free either). Fortunately, there are other factors (some more dominant), and there are fixes for them:

Mouse microstutter was found to be a major cause.

Keep mouse Hz at least 4x-6x higher than display Hz.

1000 Hz gaming mice are garbage for 360 Hz monitors
1000 Hz mice are starting to feel like crap at 360Hz. Get the 8KHz Viper, and configure it to 2KHz or 4KHz. This affects both TN and IPS (if 360Hz TN comes out)

Aim latency familiarity effect
However you may also have an aim-familiarity effect in the appropriate section of The Amazing Human Visible Feats of the Millisecond. Even latency decreases can interfere with a years-trained aim training in certain cases.

Unsynchronized framerate getting too close to Hz
Another cause is increased fps-vs-Hz mucrostutters. Those get noticeably worse when frame rate is less than 2x Hz. This affects both TN and IPS. Try turning on GSYNC and cap to 355fps. Even GSYNC lag is less than non-GSYNC 144 Hz. Try this after getting the 8KHz Viper or another vendor’s true-8KHz mouse. Set them to 2KHz minimum.

It’s a good example of how the quality of latency (low latency jitter) is sometimes more important than lowness of the latency. If the 360H ghosting is too dominant a factor, try a good 240Hz or 280Hz IPS, the ghost factor disappears on those.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!