LG - GL83A-B - Advise on vsync and general performance

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
d3ft0ne

LG - GL83A-B - Advise on vsync and general performance

Post by d3ft0ne » 14 Apr 2021, 17:58

Hello All,

Potentially a long post.

I moved from TN LG 144hz 1080p monitor (dont recall the model now), to the above - IPS LG - GL83A-B 1440p / 144hz monitor, and its been a while, almost a year now, but for some reason games never felt as smooth.

On the paper GL83 A-B has a great response times and should have same refresh rates, but the only time I got it to feel as responsive as my old TN panel, when it was set to Super fast overdrive (which introduces quite a bit of Ghosting).

But that left aside - my main question is, since this Monitor does not support native G-sync , and only G-sync compatible - should I even attempt to use it?

I was lucky to get a 3080 and decent CPU to run all my competitive games at 144+ frames. And when I enable Gsync compatible feature and turn it on in Nvidia - I still see a ton of screen tearing (its quite bad actually), whether I cap my frames at around 143 / or let it go all the way to 200+.

Never had such a noticeable screen tears with TN 1080 144hz panel for some reason, maybe due to resolution diff?

The only way i get a tear free experience - is when I force in game Vsync or via Nvidia control panel (note* fast-sync and adaptive v-sync will still yield for tears). Funny thing - I do not perceive any increased input lag with Vsync on.

If I run capped frames at around 143-142 , its playable but tearing is still there, frames completely uncapped is worse.

So if some one educated enough on this topic would suggest - is it ok to keep running Vsync on / with capped frames at 143? or am i at disadvantage ? Or what is the best option here to get the best experience?

d3ft0ne

LG 27gl83a-b - > To Vsync or not to Vsync

Post by d3ft0ne » 15 Apr 2021, 01:11

Hello Populous,

Just a quick question here - I got this monitor a year ago or so , coming from older LG TN 1080p 144hz panel for some reason the new 1440p 144hz monitor never felt as responsive (maybe due to the lower res, or TN vs IPS panel?).

I got the system currently that can produce over 150fps in any competitive game, so that should definitely not be the issue here.
The thing I had noticed, with the previous monitor I had never used Vsync and never really had any screen tearing or at least it was not noticeable, where with this one, it feels like - its what is making my games to not feel as responsive.

I usually run RTSS capped at 143 fps , no vsync

I tried built in FreeSync or Gsync compatible sync which comes with 27gl83a-b , but it still tears, likely cuz I run 144+ frames at all times, capping at143 makes it a bit better. Not I tried running BF5 and Apex with in game vsync, and that improved stuff quite a bit, everything feels smoother and i dont really feel much latency added at all, esp. when capped at 143 frames.

Could you suggest what is the best way to run this monitor for high paced competitive shooters , if only free sync is available and I have an Nvidia GPU.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: LG - GL83A-B - Advise on vsync and general performance

Post by RealNC » 15 Apr 2021, 01:31

I merged your two threads since they seem to be the same question.

I would recommend you read the GSYNC 101 series of articles on how to cap your FPS when using gsync:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 15 Apr 2021, 04:26

When using any adaptive-sync tech the goal is to always stay inside variable refresh rate range (in this case 48-144Hz/fps). If fps just peaks over that line you will see tears.
143 fps cap in some games can be too high as some engines frame delivery can fluctuate more then others. So try playing with lower numbers like 140 or lower until you stop seeing tears. If your monitors osd has an option to show current Hz/fps, try enabling it and check if it goes over 144Hz.
U can also use in-game limiter + v-sync. That should definitely prevent your fps from peaking above 144Hz. Note that in some games this setting combo can slightly increase input lag if u care about it, but i don't think this is something you should be worried about. Usually i tend to avoid v-sync.

This IPS monitor should be very similar as previous one when it comes to response times. But there are people who are very sensitive to motion blur tho.
If you say this monitor is not as responsive as previous one maybe it has something to do with input lag since 1440p is more demanding resolution to run (higher gpu usage) + if u used v-sync without limiter and RTSS which increases lag significantly.
Or you're getting more stutters, frametime fluctuation. Or u previously used backlight strobing for blur reduction. What was the previous monitor u used?
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

d3ft0ne

Post by d3ft0ne » 16 Apr 2021, 10:57

Apologies for the double post, had no idea first one didn't come through.

But ya, first display I had was - LG 24GM79G-B.
I can get the new display feel close to it, in terms responsiveness, if I set overdrive to fastest, but it introduces crazy amount of ghosting.