G-SYNC DISAPPEARED SCREEN NOW LISTED AS 60HZ INSTEAD OF 75HZ

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Phoboskitty

G-SYNC DISAPPEARED SCREEN NOW LISTED AS 60HZ INSTEAD OF 75HZ

Post by Phoboskitty » 15 Apr 2021, 19:16

I have an MSI gt72 dominator pro g 6qe gaming laptop with g-sync its a 75HZ screen

I have upgraded the video card, from a gtx-980m 4gb to the 8gb version (yes g-sync works with a g-sync screen and a gtx 980m )

I also did a BIOS update

Msi Bios doesn't seem to have any specific g-sync options or anything to do with grafix

It also has a discrete gpu option, for switching to a less powerful gpu to save battery when doing normal tasks

I can still play video games of course

But i want my g-sync back.. ..

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC DISAPPEARED SCREEN NOW LISTED AS 60HZ INSTEAD OF 75HZ

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2021, 22:38

Try uninstall-reinstall of graphics drivers, and try forcing to performance GPU mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Apr 2021, 00:35

Phoboskitty wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 19:16
I have an MSI gt72 dominator pro g 6qe gaming laptop with g-sync its a 75HZ screen

I have upgraded the video card, from a gtx-980m 4gb to the 8gb version (yes g-sync works with a g-sync screen and a gtx 980m )

I also did a BIOS update

Msi Bios doesn't seem to have any specific g-sync options or anything to do with grafix

It also has a discrete gpu option, for switching to a less powerful gpu to save battery when doing normal tasks

I can still play video games of course

But i want my g-sync back.. ..

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
There are problems with laptops and vbioses.
Never update if you don't need to.

I believe there are two vbioses that exist for 980m, a gsync disabled bios (this is usually for laptops that have an SLI sku) and a gsync enabled bios. I know that this is the case for the MSI GTX 1080 MXM, that is available in the GT73VR and GT75VR (not GT75 Titan). The GT83VR version of the GTX 1080 has the non Gsync vbios. I am not entirely sure if the gsync version can be flashed on the GT83VR if you run it in single card mode. You need to check notebookreview forums about this. I don't follow the BGAbook scene anymore, just loosely the LGA (Clevo) DTR's that can accept desktop CPUs.

I know that panels (your LCD screens) have a gsync "cookie" linked to the panel ID that is embedded in the system BIOS, and without that cookie, Gsync won't work. This should not apply if using mini DP to an external Gsync monitor however.

Ask on notebookreview forums and check your vbios version and make sure you are using the gsync version. I cannot help with this. I have a GTX 1070 MXM in a GT73VR. You may have to do a search about this as this question has been asked before by others. It's very highly likely you may have flashed a non gsync video BIOS, if I'm understanding your post.

The Gsync on/off options are ONLY in the Nvidia control panel and only if the iGPU is not enabled.

Phoboskitty

Post by Phoboskitty » 16 Apr 2021, 10:28

So should i revert to the older BIOS?

The BIOS was upgraded because of an issue with a windows update that "disappeared" my video card, litterally the system could not see the card....

i did have to use 2 bios updates. ....

I will look at the bios for msi to see if there is a specific g-sync version