FPS in Game = monitor Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Pazos

FPS in Game = monitor Hz

Post by Pazos » 16 Apr 2021, 09:53

Hello I have an vg259qm an usually play some valorant and csgo on 280 hz

Im pretty happy with the monitor, i started playing some apex for fun, but in apex it is recommended to cap the fps to 190 fps in the Nvidia settings because the game cant run flawless over 190 fps (not sure if its right?)

so my question is / is it better to do a create a custo resolution that runs at 190 hz instead of 240 Hz? do i achieve less blur with an equal fps and hz settings? or is better to just play on 240 hz with the capped 190 fps?

Thanks for your inputs

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: FPS in Game = monitor Hz

Post by Discorz » 17 Apr 2021, 05:27

For competitive gaming keep it at max Hz at all times. And then you can limit fps with in-game limiters to any number you need (assuming u use adaptive sync). There are plenty of benefits with higher refresh rate.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Apr 2021, 07:11

When you cap your FPS to something that's below the max Hz of the monitor, the best solution is to keep using max Hz (240Hz in your case) but enable g-sync. In this case, this will give you an effective refresh rate of 190Hz, but the monitor's frame scanout speed will still be that of 240Hz. So you get the lowest possible latency but without FPS/Hz mismatch stutter.

This is one of the biggest advantages of g-sync. You can cap to any FPS value that's lower than your monitor's refresh rate without needing to create new Hz modes. G-sync will automatically take care of running the monitor at Hz=FPS. All you need to do is make sure you run the game at the highest Hz the monitor supports, and g-sync will do the rest.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Pazos

Post by Pazos » 18 Apr 2021, 06:30

Thx a lot for your inputs so you would run the monitor on max refreshrate with would be 280 hz with in-game fps cap and gsync enabled?

I know that the latency is better, I just thought maybe in terms of motion blur 190frames paired with cru at 190 hz could be better.

So gsync basically does the same thing that I was thinking right? Does gsync add some delay?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2021, 10:18

Pazos wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 06:30
So gsync basically does the same thing that I was thinking right?
Yes. It's pretty much the whole point of g-sync, in fact: exactly synchronize the monitor's refresh rate to the game's FPS.

But as bonus, it keeps the frame scanout speed of the max refresh rate. In this case, the 280Hz scanout speed is 3.6ms, even though the effective refresh rate will be 190Hz. If you instead used a custom 190Hz mode, you would get a somewhat slower frame scanout speed of 5.3ms.

This is of course not a big difference in this case, just a 1.7ms difference. This gets more important however with low FPS games. For example a 60FPS game would have a scanout speed of 16.7ms if you used a 60Hz mode. But if you use 280Hz with g-sync, then you get a 3.6ms frame scanout speed even though the monitor only refreshes 60 times per second. The difference here is 13ms, which translates to a more substantial latency decrease.
Does gsync add some delay?
Not if you cap your FPS below the max refresh rate. For more details, read the diffrent "G-SYNC 101" articles, especially the ones that talk about FPS capping and input lag:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.