Rocket League - Uncapped vs. 360 FPS & more (AW2521H)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
FakeBo

Rocket League - Uncapped vs. 360 FPS & more (AW2521H)

Post by FakeBo » 18 Apr 2021, 02:28

Hello, hope all is well. Would love to hear any thoughts or recommendations on the new FPS options and what works best for you. Also, I am hoping someone can provide some guidance on an issue I am experiencing with FPS exceeding the selected in-game cap. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. PC specs listed below, thanks in advance.

Just to preface this discussion, I have always been under the impression that certain advantages exist when it comes to frames higher than the refresh rate Hz of a monitor. Namely, reduced input lag, each frame is partially visible, and reduced tearing & stutters. That's not to say that what is optimal for one is optimal for all, as everyone has their own preferences when it comes to gaming and what they find optimal for their current setup.

Issue: FPS exceeding selected in-game cap

With the new FPS dropdown menu introduced in Season 3, I am having trouble deciding which option to choose for optimal performance. Specifically, choosing 360 FPS (recommended in-game) vs. uncapped. Moreover, even when selecting the 360 FPS option, my FPS still exceeds the set limit selected (FPS averages between 900-1200 when sitting still in training & 800-1000 when moving about). When selecting the FPS uncapped option, my FPS averages are nearly identical to the 360 FPS option, but performance appears to be much less stable. (Uncapped - red & larger fluctuations vs. 360 FPS - all metrics are usually green and stable). I am using the in-game option via F10 to monitor performance. For now, I have gone with the 360 FPS option as it is recommended by RL and appears to be more "stable" using the in-game performance monitoring.

Still, I am confused as to why my FPS is exceeding the selected FPS limit of 360? My apologies if this is incorrect thinking or a dumb question, as I am relatively new to the PC gaming world (Nov 2020). My goal is to achieve optimal performance in-game with the lowest possible input lag. Any information, advice, tips, etc. is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Specs and Configuration:

Monitor - Alienware 360Hz (AW2521H)

GPU - NVIDA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Driver Version - 466.11

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz

Additional info:

Playing in full-screen mode via Steam (running BakkesMod as well, but still occurs is BM is not running). Epic Games version still has the same issue. G-Sync is disabled in NVIDA CP, V-Sync disabled NVIDA CP & in-game. All in-game options are set to performance/high performance (besides display quality as I don't want upscaling or downscaling). All options are unselected aside from transparent goal post. Playing at 1080p 1920x1080 (native resolution). PC power plan settings/NVIDA CP options/Windows settings are are optimized for performance and countless hours of research/experimenting. Only background apps running are Spotify (gotta vibe), BM, and NVIDA GeForce (I use shadow play to record). All hardware acceleration options via app/widows are disabled. All apps and windows settings are up to date.

If you need more information, please let me know. I can post videos/pictures too if that would help. I love this stuff, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and tips. Thanks once again.

alexander1986

Re: Rocket League - Uncapped vs. 360 FPS & more (AW2521H)

Post by alexander1986 » 23 Apr 2021, 18:54

hey, bit late reply and maybe you already fixed ur issue, but if not:

well if you set 360 fps limit and the game still is exceeding that cap, then something, somewhere is ignoring the fps cap for some reason, I dont play rocketleague myself but, a theory I had,

are you 100% certain that the 360 fps limit in-game you are talking about is not some form of vsync that locks it to monitor refresh rate which in your case is 360 hz, and then you maybe have vsync globally disabled in nvidia driver or in the rocketleague profile in nvidia driver control panel? this would at least explain why the fps limit is not being respected so to speak, if the option you have enabled in-game is not actually a frame limiter but vsync option?

if that makes sense :p

reading your post it could possibly be what is happening anyway, you could try capping the framerate with the tool RTSS for example, or just use the frame limit option in nvidia driver control panel for your overwatch profile, I think its called "max framerate" and should work identically to RTSS in the newer drivers..with bonus that you dont need an extra app running, but negative that you would need to restart game between changes unlike RTSS which you could tweak on the fly while alt-tabbing..

PS I do think however that rocket league should have a real framelimiter in either menus or config file where you could set 360 fps limit, try to check for that and that you havent selected some form of sync method instead in the game options.. and my apologies if all this is confusing but just let me know if so ! cheers

pablo v2

Re: Rocket League - Uncapped vs. 360 FPS & more (AW2521H)

Post by pablo v2 » 25 Apr 2021, 09:48

I'm passing this forward :

Run a Google search for: FPS Cap | BakkesMod Plugins

This plugin works better than NVCP manual cap based on my testing with an AW2521HFL (L stands for light/white) 240hz monitor. This plugin lets you cap the in-game and main menu FPS independently. I tested this plugin to limit FPS to 237 FPS with g-sync/v-sync on (how I've been playing using the in-game FPS slider before the lastest RL update) using both Steam and Epic versions (no difference) vs the new in-game FPS video settings/options available for me (239 [recommended], 240, 360, and unlimited) and the NVCP manual frame rate limiter. I compared FPC Cap at 237 vs 480 with monitor set to Fixed Refresh and g-sync/V-sync off on the NVCP and the monitor's Freesync "off." Even though my system had no trouble maintaining 480 FPS (i9-9900K/RTX 2080 Ti/466.11 driver) and the in-game performance metrics were better, after a few days I can say without a doubt that I prefer the consistency and familiarity of running g-sync using the FPS Cap bakkesmod plugin to cap at 237 FPS. FWIW there was no discernable difference for me using this plug-in after using the in-game FPS slider to cap at 237 for almost a year. The skeptic/OCD in me was also satisfied after hours of my own trial/error testing.

Cheers,

-P