Any Nebra Anybeam users here?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
PhospherJavelin

Any Nebra Anybeam users here?

Post by PhospherJavelin » 18 Apr 2021, 23:33

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or even bought the Nebra Anybeam micro laser projector. Just to be clear, I have one already and it's been my night time, bed watching display and before that a standard night time projector for general YouTube and gaming purposes. This does technically count as a display so I thought it is okay to post it here. I was wondering what your thoughts are for mems-based laser projectors. Are you excited for the future of this display tech? I think they are fun for the right people who can look past their flaws. Mine has a few problems but what they can do right such as the absolute lack of motion blur and high contrast ratio was a great buy for me. Basically CRT in the hand!

Lindal

Re: Any Nebra Anybeam users here?

Post by Lindal » 28 Aug 2021, 00:08

hi, I am very interested in your experiences. You mentioned that you have some issues. would you tell more?

(I see they sold it everywhere: on Amazon, on Kickstarter, on distrelec, ... but now it's available only on their own website at Nebra. This story looks like a flop. But it is difficult to understand why it flopped, when it had good reviews on Amazon, and when it is a wonderful idea to deliver a completely noise-free (fanless) video projector experience. okay, the light is dim, but is there any other issue? I hope so much you still here on this forum and could share the issues you have experienced. thanks in advance!)

PhospherJavelin

Re: Any Nebra Anybeam users here?

Post by PhospherJavelin » 07 Apr 2022, 01:07

VERY late reply so sorry about that. Yes, the projector is great, but it has some issues that can be ironed out if a new version gets released, And I know the manufacturer is trying to make a better one that is brighter and have higher resolution based on one of the Amazon questions on the Nebra Anybeam's question section. One of the biggest problems is the constant and random signal disconnects making playing video games an issue. Okay it is not too bad since I have used this thing and still works fine to this day as a PC display. I say for six hours of use it will disconnect and reconnect about ten to fifteen times. It only happens for 2-3 seconds and the image comes back. Audio will take an extra 3-5 seconds to come back and makes several loud pops when this occurs. If you have seen the low star Amazon reviews, they mostly say the same thing. Either too dark, dead on arrival, grainy video (due to laser speckle), and what I have just described. So if you have not bought one yet, then just wait. Yes what it can do is great and by all means you can buy it to support the people behind this cute yet powerful laser spitter, but I am usually patient enough to go back a few seconds of a video or pause a single-player game if it did loose signal so it hardly bothers me but it might end up just being a frustrating piece of trash for someone else. It also is not pixel perfect out of the box so display calibration is necessary to get the best image possible with this thing. I even bought a second one five months ago and it too had suffered the same issues so I know it is not a defective unit. Let's just see what the Nebra team has in store for this cool tech since they have quite the brand success as of late with other branches of tech toys like the Helium miner crypto stuff going on over on their official Twitter right now.