G-Sync horizontal lines appearing on screen

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
empleat

G-Sync horizontal lines appearing on screen

Post by empleat » 30 Apr 2021, 19:00

Hello,

I Am using AOC g2560fx, it is only G-Sync compatible, but I read G-Sync works well on this monitor. I didn't have any problems. Until I started noticing colorless horizontal lines, not sure if only in middle of my view. Or they can appear on all parts of screen. I didn't care much in FPS games, I barely noticed it. But now in RTS when I scroll, it is actually pretty disgusting and looks like tearing. I Am using certified DP cable, so it shouldn't be cable. And I have new GPU, it was happening on old one too!

I read on reddit, it is actually normal and every G-Sync monitor does that. Is that true? I don't like input lag, even G-Sync does noticeable input lag, but it is godsend for fps drops and low fps games.

I may need to start using scanline sync. What are pros and cons of that compared to G-Sync? I have High End PC, RTX 3070, i5 9600KF, 3200mhz ram 16GB...

Oh and BTW that is with capped fps under 144, no overshot actually, pretty stable on 1 fps.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync horizontal lines appearing on screen

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2021, 20:01

empleat wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:00
I read on reddit, it is actually normal and every G-Sync monitor does that. Is that true?
Definitely not. Unless this is tearing, but the way you describe it doesn't seem like it's tearing.
Oh and BTW that is with capped fps under 144, no overshot actually, pretty stable on 1 fps.
Just to make sure it's not tearing, force vsync ON in the nvidia panel and also use an FPS cap of 120FPS at 144Hz. As a test.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

empleat

Post by empleat » 03 May 2021, 12:53

Okay so I tried your setting - it didn't happen.

So I reverted to default. And now it is not happening even when fps goes above refresh rate, so there is little bit of tearing! But it does not happen! It is mostly smooth and doesn't look like issue before! Which is weird, same programs running on background. No idea what causes the issue!

It happens also in FPS games capped at fps under refresh rate, when G-Sync is on! But now It doesn't happen even when fps are under refresh rate. So I can't pin it on G-Sync just yet! It is strange!

Damn will I need to RMA my monitor? I had 5 pieces of faulty hardware in a row from top 2 shops, 1 specialized computer shop. Both 99.9% rating. Also that 1 general shop which sells computers mostly. They sent my RTX 2070 into RMA and they totally bumped GPU backplate LOL. At least they returned money. So I can't say I Am fully without luck, I also managed to get 1 RTX 3070, while I checked whole world LOL And got that 1 :D :D :D That 1 random piece, it was my fate to get it :D So lucky, otherwise I wouldn't even have GPU now... And GPU should be fine, everything looks normal in 3D Mark Hwinfo, no other issues currently. Only I had some flashes (like when you look behind textures - because bug)of random strips (but it looked nothing like this issue, these weren't colorless and were thick not completely straight I think) but that's just Bugfield imho, doesn't happen in other games at all! And I tried to clean shaders and DX cache...

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 03 May 2021, 15:44

I think that all you are seeing is simply tearing.
If you set fps 1 frame below, above or equal to hz you will see one horizontal tearline.
The further you move away from hz the tearing will spread and you will get a sluggish/unsmooth feeling.

empleat wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:00
I may need to start using scanline sync. What are pros and cons of that compared to G-Sync?
Scanline adds one frame delay, G-Sync doesn't.
G-Sync input lag is very low according to RTINGS Input Lag tests.
G-Sync Compatible input lag depends on the model but usually is also very low as you can see with the ASUS VG279QM (1,7 vs 1,8).
If you don't want input lag you should use G-Sync (Compatible).

I don't think G-Sync Compatible will work ok if you set just one frame below.
I tried on my monitor (different one) one frame below and tearing shows up now and then, something I don't see if I set it three frames below.

empleat

Post by empleat » 04 May 2021, 14:44

It is not tearing!!! I know how tearing looks... This is e.g. in middle some sort of colorless line... Looks like some problem with refresh rate timing! There is no tearing anywhere else, when this happens! Also it doesn't look like tearing at all itself, except when you scroll in RTS game! In fps this happens mostly when there is rotation, or when I climb a ladder. It is like monitor would be split on 2 halfs vertically and in middle picture is distorted by this colorless line.
Scanline adds one frame delay, G-Sync doesn't.
G-Sync input lag is very low according to RTINGS Input Lag tests.
G-Sync Compatible input lag depends on the model but usually is also very low as you can see with the ASUS VG279QM (1,7 vs 1,8).
If you don't want input lag you should use G-Sync (Compatible).
Good to know ty.
I don't think G-Sync Compatible will work ok if you set just one frame below.
I tried on my monitor (different one) one frame below and tearing shows up now and then, something I don't see if I set it three frames below.
But I had no problem in second test, no matter whether or not G-Sync was on/off, or fps! It is weird, it happens only sometimes!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 04 May 2021, 16:22

empleat wrote:
04 May 2021, 14:44
It is like monitor would be split on 2 halfs vertically and in middle picture is distorted by this colorless line.
That's tearing. ;)
There is no problem with the monitor.
It's a tear line caused by setting fps equal or one frame close to Hz.
I already explained this.

If you use multiples of the Hz you get one tear line added.
144Hz -> 144fps=1 line ; 288fps=2 lines ; and so on.

If you don't believe me then wait for Chief or someone else to answer.
But you can simply try it. Set fps a bit lower or higher.

empleat

Post by empleat » 05 May 2021, 06:36

It is not that I wouldn't believe you! LOL I never heard about this. I used x monitors never had this problem. And I would notice definitely something like this, since it is very apparent if you look straight at this!

It is strange I never saw this even when I had huge tearing EVER!!!

I never set fps to 1 fps below, or above that is the thing!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 May 2021, 07:04

Try recording it with your smartphone camera. Just make sure you capture it properly.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 05 May 2021, 07:06

empleat wrote:
05 May 2021, 06:36
I never set fps to 1 fps below, or above that is the thing!
So what did you mean by this?
I thought you were using 143fps.
But the colorless line you see is a tearline because fps are close to Hz.

empleat

Post by empleat » 05 May 2021, 07:19

OK next time it will happen I will try.
MatrixQW wrote:
05 May 2021, 07:06
So what did you mean by this?
I rarely cap FPS since all methods cause fps drops! And weird mousefeeling even couple fps under refresh rate!
I thought you were using 143fps.
But the colorless line you see is a tearline because fps are close to Hz.
No I am not. I cap like at 136-140 (depends on a game). Most times I don't. Not sure, if when fps is like 143, 145 you could see it - if uncapped. But I actually didn't when I had fps counter on and uncapped fps and had 144~