Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
axaro1

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by axaro1 » 14 May 2022, 03:47

Crixlol wrote:
12 May 2022, 14:34
What app do you use? I’m finding vrb extreme to be quite a bit too dark.
Why don't you just use the ingame setting for it?
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

zaczac

Post by zaczac » 15 May 2022, 18:44

rebuke99 wrote:
08 May 2022, 16:31
So i just got this monitor, anytime i set it to overclock on and set it to 390hz, the screen keeps cutting out to black non stop

using the supplied dp cable going to a 3070 ti. Do i need to upgrade the cable to the ones im seeing linked in this thread?

Thank you!!
Return it ASAP, its defective. There's two different issues with the monitor, one where it flickers and the other where the screen will constantly go black like its turning off then back on (but quicker). The flickering has a few fixes floating around but nothing for the black screen issue. I had the same issue and after 2 weeks the monitor fully died. I tried different cables, computers etc nothing worked.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 17 May 2022, 13:29

zaczac wrote:
15 May 2022, 18:44
rebuke99 wrote:
So i just got this monitor, anytime i set it to overclock on and set it to 390hz, the screen keeps cutting out to black non stop

using the supplied dp cable going to a 3070 ti. Do i need to upgrade the cable to the ones im seeing linked in this thread?

Thank you!!
Return it ASAP, its defective. There's two different issues with the monitor, one where it flickers and the other where the screen will constantly go black like its turning off then back on (but quicker). The flickering has a few fixes floating around but nothing for the black screen issue. I had the same issue and after 2 weeks the monitor fully died. I tried different cables, computers etc nothing worked.

do you mean it's a qc issue or that ALL copies are defective?

bobatime128

Post by bobatime128 » 19 May 2022, 22:27

Hi Everybody,

I just got this monitor and I’m liking it so far. I’m relatively new to this and I feel like I’m not utilizing the monitor to its fullest potential. I play Apex Legends, I have read that the game engine isn’t the greatest, I can sort of maintain 299+ FPS but it will drop to 180 in certain areas or fights. I know FPS=RefreshRate is ideal but with my fluctuating FPS, should I cap my FPS lower and match the refresh rate? Or higher refresh rate? I saw User:axaro1 plays Apex Legends, so I was hoping maybe axaro1 can chime in and help me out with settings, or anyone that is willing to help. Sorry for the novice question. Thanks everyone

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2022, 10:59

The advice varies on settings.

What are your sync technology and strobe settings?

What’s your VRR setting? VSYNC setting? blur reduction setting?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zaczac

Post by zaczac » 20 May 2022, 13:09

lyrill wrote:
17 May 2022, 13:29
zaczac wrote:
15 May 2022, 18:44
rebuke99 wrote:

Thank you!!

do you mean it's a qc issue or that ALL copies are defective?

QC issue likely. Tons of posts in this thread with no issues.

bobatime128

Post by bobatime128 » 21 May 2022, 01:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 May 2022, 10:59
The advice varies on settings.

What are your sync technology and strobe settings?

What’s your VRR setting? VSYNC setting? blur reduction setting?
I hope I am answering this correctly. But I have FreeSync and VSync off, and I typically have VRB on Extreme.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2022, 13:33

bobatime128 wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:27
Hi Everybody,

I just got this monitor and I’m liking it so far. I’m relatively new to this and I feel like I’m not utilizing the monitor to its fullest potential. I play Apex Legends, I have read that the game engine isn’t the greatest, I can sort of maintain 299+ FPS but it will drop to 180 in certain areas or fights. I know FPS=RefreshRate is ideal but with my fluctuating FPS, should I cap my FPS lower and match the refresh rate? Or higher refresh rate? I saw User:axaro1 plays Apex Legends, so I was hoping maybe axaro1 can chime in and help me out with settings, or anyone that is willing to help. Sorry for the novice question. Thanks everyone
If you are using strobing, then yes, it can be favourable from a panning-clarity perspective to intentionally lower your refresh rate to allow framerate=Hz strobing to look much better. 200fps@200Hz strobing looks much better than 200fps@240-390Hz strobing, because strobing amplifies microstutters / jitters because of lack of motion blur to hide the jitters. Eliminating jitter can improve competitive advantages by keeping better awareness of everything going-on on the screen.

1. Try a slightly lower refresh rates where you're maintaining 90% of the time. Say, 200 or 240Hz.
2. Test VSYNC ON + NULL temporarily (VSYNC ON is not ideal, but this will help you "test drive" the motion quality first)
3. Observe how much better Legends panning looks -- much smoother at framerate=Hz

If you like that motion clarity, then begin optimizing lag. You can optimize lag with QFT (Quick Frame Transport) combined with RTSS Scanline Sync to have the world's lowest lag framerate=Hz. QFT will ensure your 200Hz refresh cycles are transmitted over the cable in 1/390sec per refresh cycle despite a refresh rate of 200Hz. And RTSS Scanline Sync is usually a lower-lag form of framerate=Hz than VSYNC ON.

If you don't like that motionfeel, try temporarily turning off VRB and enabling FreeSync. See if the breathing-framerate looks/feels better. Use a 250fps-300fps cap. It will feel less rough, but will have lower lag than a lower Hz, but will be a lot more motion blurry.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bobatime128

Post by bobatime128 » 21 May 2022, 18:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:33
bobatime128 wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:27
Hi Everybody,

If you are using strobing, then yes, it can be favourable from a panning-clarity perspective to intentionally lower your refresh rate to allow framerate=Hz strobing to look much better. 200fps@200Hz strobing looks much better than 200fps@240-390Hz strobing, because strobing amplifies microstutters / jitters because of lack of motion blur to hide the jitters. Eliminating jitter can improve competitive advantages by keeping better awareness of everything going-on on the screen.

1. Try a slightly lower refresh rates where you're maintaining 90% of the time. Say, 200 or 240Hz.
2. Test VSYNC ON + NULL temporarily (VSYNC ON is not ideal, but this will help you "test drive" the motion quality first)
3. Observe how much better Legends panning looks -- much smoother at framerate=Hz

If you like that motion clarity, then begin optimizing lag. You can optimize lag with QFT (Quick Frame Transport) combined with RTSS Scanline Sync to have the world's lowest lag framerate=Hz. QFT will ensure your 200Hz refresh cycles are transmitted over the cable in 1/390sec per refresh cycle despite a refresh rate of 200Hz. And RTSS Scanline Sync is usually a lower-lag form of framerate=Hz than VSYNC ON.

If you don't like that motionfeel, try temporarily turning off VRB and enabling FreeSync. See if the breathing-framerate looks/feels better. Use a 250fps-300fps cap. It will feel less rough, but will have lower lag than a lower Hz, but will be a lot more motion blurry.
Thank you for the very thorough response! I will try that out and see how it works out for me. Really appreciate the help!

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 24 May 2022, 09:26

as this thing only does 8 dither to 10 starting from 240hz downwards and this is for hdr content consumption, most being 10 bit, so most content is 24 or in case of 30 still works with 240

theoretically this is the case but I notice 1 out of 50 frame skip notification on madvr.

not sure if this is relevant to high fps gaming as I dial madvr to highest quality, but then madvr doesn't take as much resource as the most demanding games even for huge bluray disk files on 4000nits or whathaveyou. nor was the source material any high fps to begin with.

Interesting side observation is OW electing to go up to 360 by itself as I remembered my 390 dial. (haven't gamed much forgot to go up from 240. content consumption=deleting the OC just to be safe, even though technically you are not ocing on anything but 390 so it shouldn't really take effect but that's what the UI logic is, it goes through a process whenever you turn on/unlock or turn off/lock "oc" ala "390"