Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MrStinkybutt

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by MrStinkybutt » 08 Dec 2022, 08:34

What is the recommended settings for Overdrive and VRB? Extreme on both?

uoser

Post by uoser » 08 Dec 2022, 15:32

Bought a new 4k polling mouse last week and I'm amazed what a difference it makes when paired with this monitor. I've been meaning to try out higher polling mice before but i personally cannot stand razer shapes. gwolves came out with the hts+ 4k wireless and its as close to an mm710, which i used to use with a logitech g305 wireless pcb inside, as you can get with 4k polling. Every review i've seen has razer's higher polling wireless technology as the best so if you like any of the razer shapes, i highly recommend you try out high polling mice with this monitor. personally, i felt it was more than a subtle difference that everyone claims. if your mechanics are bad in general, its going to stay bad. but players with good mechanics looking for that extra boost, higher polling with high hz monitor is definitely worth it. not exactly sure which games support it besides overwatch but im sure its the same for newer games like valorant and apex.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 10 Dec 2022, 02:34

MrStinkybutt wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 08:34
What is the recommended settings for Overdrive and VRB? Extreme on both?

yes.......

and btw hdr is relished by me because i am not the casuals that have been spoiled by hdr or 4k capable eye candy screens on other "walks of lifestyles", so i had previously always stared at the abundance of hdr content around and their black-white screens, envious.

now there's a bone thrown, good gesture? I dunno. i'll take what I can have.

Bottled Water

Post by Bottled Water » 13 Dec 2022, 23:40

Hey, so I just recently bought this monitor, but then realised my pc only has HDMI output, so searching for active hdmi to displayport adapters has been quite hard, and I'm wondering what version of displayport will support the 1080p 390hz bandwidth at the very minimum.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Dec 2022, 23:56

Bottled Water wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 23:40
Hey, so I just recently bought this monitor, but then realised my pc only has HDMI output, so searching for active hdmi to displayport adapters has been quite hard, and I'm wondering what version of displayport will support the 1080p 390hz bandwidth at the very minimum.
What GPU do you have, and HDMI port version?

Your HDMI port may not support the bitrate of 1080p 390 Hz, requiring you to either lower resolution or lower refresh rate (or both)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bottled Water

Post by Bottled Water » 14 Dec 2022, 00:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 23:56
Bottled Water wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 23:40
What GPU do you have, and HDMI port version?

Your HDMI port may not support the bitrate of 1080p 390 Hz, requiring you to either lower resolution or lower refresh rate (or both)
Actually, I'll very likely be using a lower refresh rate, since the laptop I'm using is a predator helios 300 from 2017 with a gtx 1060 mobile and hdmi 2.0, but I'm asking this question since I want to use gsync on the monitor, and don't want to spend more money to upgrade my adapter in the future if I do get a system upgrade.

Edit: Rereading this, I just realised how unaware I sound, why would I need to keep the adapter? Most video cards have displayport anyway, and even if I did, HDMI 2.0 only supports 4k60hz, not nearly enough to hit the target refresh rate, so sorry for that, but I'll just get any adapter then.

timbowman1

Post by timbowman1 » 29 Dec 2022, 15:45

Just a heads up to the people in here, that the "3d pan" or whatever mode in SmoothFrog, with the auto rotating 3d view with the red numbers on the wall, is super useful for calibrating your settings for motion blur for FPS games.

I noticed a massive difference between overdrive normal and extreme this way, and decided to settle on overdrive normal. the inverse ghosting is really noticeable in this test on overdrive extreme.

edit:
eh honestly i really dont know here. i think that particular transition might just be bad. i also wonder if inverse ghosting is better than regular ghosting, because inverse ghosting at least improves contrast in a weird way, whereas regular ghosting decreases local contrast?
Last edited by timbowman1 on 30 Dec 2022, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Deadmanx

Post by Deadmanx » 30 Dec 2022, 04:21

timbowman1 wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 15:45
Just a heads up to the people in here, that the "3d pan" or whatever mode in SmoothFrog, with the auto rotating 3d view with the red numbers on the wall, is super useful for calibrating your settings for motion blur for FPS games.

I noticed a massive difference between AMA normal and extreme this way, and decided to settle on AMA normal. the inverse ghosting is really noticeable in this test on AMA extreme.
Are you referring to overdrive settings? I have the aopen so maybe my menu is different.

losos

Post by losos » 30 Dec 2022, 08:06

Hey all!
First off, thanks for an amazing thread with so much info.

Got this monitor after using a XL2540k for a few years. Overall very satisfied, but i do have some issues finding the "right" settings. I guess years with a TN-panel has left a mark on me.

If i want to make the monitor to look as close to a TN-panel as possible, what settings would i use?

I pretty much only play CSGO and was wondering if anyone had the time and energy to share what settings you are using on the monitor when playing CS. Most interested in contrast, black boost, gamma and color temp.

Thanks alot for taking time and helping me out!

timbowman1

Post by timbowman1 » 30 Dec 2022, 17:36

losos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 08:06
Hey all!
First off, thanks for an amazing thread with so much info.

Got this monitor after using a XL2540k for a few years. Overall very satisfied, but i do have some issues finding the "right" settings. I guess years with a TN-panel has left a mark on me.

If i want to make the monitor to look as close to a TN-panel as possible, what settings would i use?

I pretty much only play CSGO and was wondering if anyone had the time and energy to share what settings you are using on the monitor when playing CS. Most interested in contrast, black boost, gamma and color temp.

Thanks alot for taking time and helping me out!
what are your thoughts on the colors and stuff so far compared to the xl2540k?

For my xv252qf, keeping the contrast at 50 and black boost at 8 is probably most true to actual calibration, with the smoothest transitions to reference white and reference black, without any clipping of whites or blacks.
https://www.rtings.com/images/test-mate ... htness.png
https://www.rtings.com/images/test-mate ... ntrast.png

The XV252qf has the slowest response time transitioning from black to white, so raising the blacks via Black Boost might be able to help with this. If you increased black boost, you would basically add +brightness to all colors. but then your whites would too bright, so you need to lower contrast to like 47 or 48 to compensate.

you could decrease contrast even more, so pixels never have to transition to 100% brightness, but i think you get more motion blur reduction by boosting blacks than you get by lowering whites on this monitor.

For gamma, 2.4 seems to be the most accurate on my panel, or 2.2. Higher gamma if you want more contrast between whites by sacrificing contrast in the blacks, lower gamma if you want bigger contrast between blacks by sacrificing contrast in the whites.

One thing I don't know, is whether it makes a difference in response times if you change the dynamic contrast with the monitor, versus if you change the dynamic contrast using the nvidia control panel. If the end colors are the same, does it matter which method was used to change the black and whites for better response times?

@Chief Blur Buster