Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
forcedreg

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by forcedreg » 01 Jul 2021, 05:33

Go vote for this to be reviewed on Rtings! It's listed as "Acer Nitro XV252Q Fbmiiprx" here:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

VisorizoR

Post by VisorizoR » 01 Jul 2021, 19:18

Hi, i would call myself an aiming-enthusiast especialy trying to improve my tracking aiming abillity.

I have this Monitor since 1 month and i can tell u it is slightly better then my previous acer xf252q 240hz tn

iam using it in apex legends with perfectly stable capped 190 FPS... and even there it feels better then the 240 hz TN... contrast and colors are better and i can see enemys more clearer in fast and slow movements.

Best settings for me are VRB = normal, OD = extreme 390 HZ

In the ufo test the standard 960 pixel per second speed is bugged on 390 HZ.... it apears slower moving...
so its unfair to compare this against other 360hz monitors...

but on 1080 pixel per second the ufo moves about the same speed on 390 hz vs 960pixel on 360hz

and there the picture looks about the same like on other 360hz monitors without VRB

But when u turn VRB to normal the picture becomes very sharp white dots clearly distinguisable....

and in Apex with only 190 FPS i dont see any double images from the VRB normal setting... just a bit sharper motion clarity

btw i play this game atleast aim wise on a rly high level almost every day.
I can clearly see a difference between the 240 hz tn and the 390 hz ips with vrb :)

ips tolerating higher viewing angles helps with screen visibilty also especialy when u are only 30 cm away with ur eyes from the monitor :D

sorry for my bad english

i hope i helped

best regards

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 02 Jul 2021, 01:59

VisorizoR wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 19:18
Hi man, welcome.

Yes, the ufo should look very similar to 360Hz. 30Hz improvement is small. But now you got me worried if the ufos from earlier in this post were taken with bugged speed.

Does any of the Overdrives with VRB have overshoot at lower fixed refresh rates like 120Hz?
Does Extreme VRB improve overall sharpness of moving objects (sharpness in this sense, switching from light to ultra)? Or Does it just make the image darker? I hear Normal VRB has less crosstalk than Extreme which is weird because usually higher pulse width level should have less crosstalk. Could you add a few words on that?

What about freesync? Enabling freesync locks the overdrive so does it have any overshoot at fixed 60Hz and fixed 240Hz?

Since we don't have much info on input lag for this monitor how would you compare it with your previous XF252Qx. Did you use any other monitors with which u could compare it.
Last edited by Discorz on 06 Jul 2021, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 02 Jul 2021, 07:24

Yeah, that's what was happening when I changed the pixel count.. different scroll speeds.

VisorizoR

Post by VisorizoR » 02 Jul 2021, 13:12

Hi, discorz

this photo they posted looks correct looks like correct 1080 pixel per second selected with no VRB active.

YES VRB extreme highers the moving picture sharpness on the cost of much darker and less contrasty static image and there is a bit ghosting.

VRB normal i cannot see ghosting even with fps not matching the HZ.... i think its kinda working like a backlight strobbing ( dyac ?)
the contrast and brightness gets oddly higher when u select this... i dont understand how this works.
but there is basically no reason to not use it on normal... i strangely never saw ghosting with it....

some ppl may prefer to use it on extreme... but for me the lower contrast and brightness doesnt make up for the slighty sharper image... when u think about games usualy dont have such perfectly alligned frametimes like in the UFO test... so u dont need extremly razor sharp image.. becouse the blur comes also from vibrating/changing frametimes.

for me the IPS panel without VRB = normal would not be worth the upgrade from TN panel
becouse u can still see that some color transistions are slower even on this Fast IPS then on good TN panel.(resulting in blurry moving picture) that is probadly also why alot techreviewers are changing back to 240HZ

overall my aim has improved with this monitor... with Max Brightness on VRB normal and Overdrive extreme.
I cannot tell the exact input lag messurments becouse i dont have the tools...

iam using this monitor on a custom resolution with 2600 total horizontal pixels and 1200 total vertical pixels...(original is 2080x1100) nvidia changes then the color output from 8 bit to 6 bit.... pixelclock is at 1200+ mhz then.
i had occasional signal lost on original settings and i feel like this custom res is lowering inputlag or atleast not highering it.

i havent tested lower hz modes becouse i dont see a reason to do so...
but waht i tested is if i can set the vertical total pixels higher then 1200 and it doesnt work....

update: ok on 240 hz it does seem to acceptate vertical total of up to 1800 pixels
on 120 hz it does seem to acceptate 3600 pixel vertical total and i see alot of overshoot on normal and extreme OD but OD
off shows no overshoot but some strange picture distortion

iam not sure why u would use this fast panel on 120hz.. ?

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 02 Jul 2021, 14:19

Tried two of these monitors and both have strong bleed near the bottom center of the panel, just left of the Acer branding. I assume this is a problem on all of them as it's in the exact same spot. With that said, it's the only 360hz monitor on the market I would consider using. The price is good, it has built in function to enable extra sharpness which is great in games like Valorant and it seems like a better esport monitor than the other ones that are packed with garbage features nobody will use, awful monitor stands and cost twice as much (where I live). I will still return mine and use a XL2546K as I believe it's by far the best competitive FPS monitor on the market, but if anyone wants a 360hz monitor this is the one to get.

RestTarRr

Post by RestTarRr » 02 Jul 2021, 16:00

effjaysea wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 14:19
Tried two of these monitors and both have strong bleed near the bottom center of the panel, just left of the Acer branding. I assume this is a problem on all of them as it's in the exact same spot. With that said, it's the only 360hz monitor on the market I would consider using. The price is good, it has built in function to enable extra sharpness which is great in games like Valorant and it seems like a better esport monitor than the other ones that are packed with garbage features nobody will use, awful monitor stands and cost twice as much (where I live). I will still return mine and use a XL2546K as I believe it's by far the best competitive FPS monitor on the market, but if anyone wants a 360hz monitor this is the one to get.
Are you returning to the xl2546k because it's just better at everything even in games like valorant where fps is above 390 or because of the bleed on the other panel or some other inconvenience? On paper the zowie should be losing but I know that a lot of people are going back to their zowies after trying 360hz, so I'm curious why that is.

Has someone tried this monitor or other high end monitors in PUBG. How do they perform? Is dyac good in PUBG?

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 02 Jul 2021, 20:54

Difficult to answer because I can't really provide evidence for what I'm about to say as it's all ''feels''.

I bought the first Asus 360hz monitor that became available day 1 and was going to replace my BenQ. First thing I did was launch Apex to play with a friend and realized something felt off. I kept playing and just realized my aim just wasn't the same. This is super odd given how when I upgraded previously from 60hz, 120hz, 144hz and finally to 240hz, my first impression has always been the same ''holy shit, this is so smooth and the mosue feels super responsive''. However my first impression of 360hz was that it was smooth, but less responsive. I really don't know why. It almost felt like heavy mouse smoothing. I legit couldn't perform half as well as I did on my BenQ. Is it because of 360hz? Is it because it's IPS and I'm used to TN? Did I simply not give it enough time? I have no idea. Either way I quickly went back to my BenQ and everything felt right. Color vibrance I can tweak directly in the monitor, sharpness, DyAc, the list goes on. A month or so later, I started seeing pro players who were given 360hz monitors switch back to their BenQ. I have no idea why, but if the best Valorant player is switching back, there has to be something going on.

At this point I'm just going to wait for BenQ to release a 360hz monitor before I bother trying something new again.

RestTarRr

Post by RestTarRr » 03 Jul 2021, 04:36

Thanks for the input. BTW do you play every game with dyac or is the monitor still really good competitively even without it. I just don't know if I wouldn't get headaches from it. Final question - does dyac feel bad if the FPS isn't consistent. PUBG is my main fps game and the fps there is really hit or miss. Would it look bad if fps is jumping around 140-250?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 03 Jul 2021, 06:52

Got one. Can't compare to 360hz g-sync models because I had no any. Comparing to VG279QM I've surprised i see no overdrive artifacts at Extreme setting at games. And I see a little of blur and inverstion artifacts at testufo. Playing without VBR and *-sync.
Happy with that monitor.