Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jadzira

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by Jadzira » 19 Nov 2021, 10:05

I have tested the monitor and I found out that the best settings for me in Fortnite as a competitive player were
Over drive - Extreme
VRB - Extreme

Nvidia control panel
Low Latency mode - Off
Vertical sync - Fast Sync

FPS capped in game - 360 FPS
Performance mode - High meshes

Why these?
VRB Extreme delivery super clarity when I do quick mouse movements, however the screen tearing still exist. I wanted to have both super clarity and no screen tearing, however on this monitor you can't use G-Sync compatibile with VRB.
That's why I decided to give a try Fast Sync.
Adaptive V-Sync: reducing input lag when framerates are below the refresh rate by selectively disabling v-sync
G-Sync: reducing input lag by refreshing the screen when a frame is ready, up to the display’s maximum refresh rate
Fast Sync: reducing input lag by not stalling the GPU when the framerate hits the display’s refresh rate
I am not sure which one I should to use Fast Sync or Adaptive V-sync.
Can anyone check out these settings and do input lag benchmark cause I have no devices to measure it.
I would really appreciate it.

Doriantny

Post by Doriantny » 20 Nov 2021, 04:46

IIISLIDEIII wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:36
Notty_PT wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:06
michaelcycle00 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:05
Notty_PT wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 22:47

The thing is that.. it doesn´t matter. Because all of them seem rubbish to me and I refuse to play with that trail.. why would I if there are models without it? That´s my point

I could also argue that I personally don´t like strobing at all. Not only the input lag increases so you immediatly get rid of one of the biggest 360hz/390hz advantages, wich is the input lag. But I also get bad headache after pronlongued usage (due to the flickering). However that´s not even a question here, the trail is simply atrocious to me.
Well, the input lag penalty you get with strobing ON, on the 390hz, is about 0.8ms which is what Optimum Tech got in his tests. Not sure most could perceive that. I agree with the flickering part though, but with strobing off you may lose track of your opponents while firing due to recoil. I tried a 23.8 inch, 1080p, 60hz monitor yesterday and I honestly think it's a bit too small. Also found the PPI a bit discouraging. It's making me lean towards a 27 inch 1440p 270hz like the Asus XG27AQM just because of that but it also seems a bit too large lol. God damn, decisions... decisions. A 25-inch 1440p monitor would be perfect. Anyway, here's a video of the XG2431 UFO TESTS in order from non-strobed all the way over to the 4 different strobing modes from the brightest to the dimmest. Honestly, the top row UFO seems a bit ghost-ey but it might just be the camera. What do you think?
As I´ve said several times, I don´t trust LDAT input lag measures. Why? There is a good example. Compare Rtings with OptimumTech´s LDAT...

I had the Nitro with BFI and the input lag increase is immediatly noticeable when using it. I don´t trust that 0,8ms data at all.

So, what supposely is only a 0,8ms increase with Zowie model, when using BFI, for Rtings you have DOUBLE the lag, wich ofc would be immediatly noticeable (and it is btw). Makes no sense and makes me completly ignore LDAT input lag methodology.

As for your indecisions, I mean, 1440p is awesome but 27 inches is too big for me. That Asus model is one of the best monitors money can buy tho.. it depends on what you prefer. Nitro 390hz would give you more synched and displayed frames if you play games that have really high framerates. PPI sucks tho. If you found 1080p 23.8 PPI to be bad.. you will think Nitro image is blurry everywhere. So it really depends on your use case and games you play.

I would say someone playing AAA games like Warzone, Battlefield, Vanguard, Apex legends, etc 1440p 270hz might be better option than 390hz

If you play a lot of counter strike, valorant, overwatch, then 390hz is better option

You need to see on wich games you spend more time. But keep in mind both monitors are great for any type of game I mentioned, is not like you can´t do well on other games.
warzone, apex and battlefield are pretty heavy games to handle, on a 1440p with 3090 and 10900k
in oc you can't even keep 200fps stable whit this resolution,270hz on 1440p they are just an exercise in style imho, they are useless, if you play cs and valorant you use 360hz or 240hz on 1080p, if you play single players you need fluidity and visual beauty so 1440p is fine but 270hz on that game is useless, if you play apex and warzone 270fps you never do, you don't even do 240 at 1440p, i feel much more competitive in these games with 1080p monitors, besides that the other even bigger problem is that the 1440p always comes with 27 inches and seriously I don't understand how can people think to compete on a 27, in the frantic action and shoot in groups at close range the eyes have screen angles too wide to be able to think they are fast and accurate, 24 inches is the ideal size, the "alternative" solution to use the 27 inches keeping it very far away from us does not work well because you lose the connection with the game, it seems to watch a movie, to compete the screen must be small and must be kept close and not 1 meter away, 27 inches 2k is a great screen when used for pastime and single player games, not to compete.
Nobody forbids trying to use it to compete but it certainly is a disadvantage.
I bet i can kick your ass in a 27inch all day long! Skill is skill and talent is talent! You cannot take it away just you have a small or bigger screen, body, arms, pepe, etc. Body adapts, mind, soul adapts. I have a much better connection with 27 than a 24. So all is relative, only God is not!

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 20 Nov 2021, 06:32

Doriantny wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 04:46
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:36
Notty_PT wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:06
michaelcycle00 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:05

Well, the input lag penalty you get with strobing ON, on the 390hz, is about 0.8ms which is what Optimum Tech got in his tests. Not sure most could perceive that. I agree with the flickering part though, but with strobing off you may lose track of your opponents while firing due to recoil. I tried a 23.8 inch, 1080p, 60hz monitor yesterday and I honestly think it's a bit too small. Also found the PPI a bit discouraging. It's making me lean towards a 27 inch 1440p 270hz like the Asus XG27AQM just because of that but it also seems a bit too large lol. God damn, decisions... decisions. A 25-inch 1440p monitor would be perfect. Anyway, here's a video of the XG2431 UFO TESTS in order from non-strobed all the way over to the 4 different strobing modes from the brightest to the dimmest. Honestly, the top row UFO seems a bit ghost-ey but it might just be the camera. What do you think?
As I´ve said several times, I don´t trust LDAT input lag measures. Why? There is a good example. Compare Rtings with OptimumTech´s LDAT...

I had the Nitro with BFI and the input lag increase is immediatly noticeable when using it. I don´t trust that 0,8ms data at all.

So, what supposely is only a 0,8ms increase with Zowie model, when using BFI, for Rtings you have DOUBLE the lag, wich ofc would be immediatly noticeable (and it is btw). Makes no sense and makes me completly ignore LDAT input lag methodology.

As for your indecisions, I mean, 1440p is awesome but 27 inches is too big for me. That Asus model is one of the best monitors money can buy tho.. it depends on what you prefer. Nitro 390hz would give you more synched and displayed frames if you play games that have really high framerates. PPI sucks tho. If you found 1080p 23.8 PPI to be bad.. you will think Nitro image is blurry everywhere. So it really depends on your use case and games you play.

I would say someone playing AAA games like Warzone, Battlefield, Vanguard, Apex legends, etc 1440p 270hz might be better option than 390hz

If you play a lot of counter strike, valorant, overwatch, then 390hz is better option

You need to see on wich games you spend more time. But keep in mind both monitors are great for any type of game I mentioned, is not like you can´t do well on other games.
warzone, apex and battlefield are pretty heavy games to handle, on a 1440p with 3090 and 10900k
in oc you can't even keep 200fps stable whit this resolution,270hz on 1440p they are just an exercise in style imho, they are useless, if you play cs and valorant you use 360hz or 240hz on 1080p, if you play single players you need fluidity and visual beauty so 1440p is fine but 270hz on that game is useless, if you play apex and warzone 270fps you never do, you don't even do 240 at 1440p, i feel much more competitive in these games with 1080p monitors, besides that the other even bigger problem is that the 1440p always comes with 27 inches and seriously I don't understand how can people think to compete on a 27, in the frantic action and shoot in groups at close range the eyes have screen angles too wide to be able to think they are fast and accurate, 24 inches is the ideal size, the "alternative" solution to use the 27 inches keeping it very far away from us does not work well because you lose the connection with the game, it seems to watch a movie, to compete the screen must be small and must be kept close and not 1 meter away, 27 inches 2k is a great screen when used for pastime and single player games, not to compete.
Nobody forbids trying to use it to compete but it certainly is a disadvantage.
I bet i can kick your ass in a 27inch all day long! Skill is skill and talent is talent! You cannot take it away just you have a small or bigger screen, body, arms, pepe, etc. Body adapts, mind, soul adapts. I have a much better connection with 27 than a 24. So all is relative, only God is not!
maybe you can kick my ass even playing on a 60 inch, talent is always talent but here we were not making a competition to see who is better, we are talking about monitors and the speech does not change, in shooters you perform better on 24 because the eyes have to move less to cover the surface of screen compared to a 27, is a question that can be understood using logic.

If you are not good on a 27 you do not become a pro by going to 24 ..... if you are good on a 24 you are also good on a 27 and you are also good on a 60 inch, but these are such trivial talk that I even feel stupid to write them.

you can’t have a better connection with 27 simply because it's impossible, you can't change the laws of physics ... lol,
you are used to playing on 27 and nobody says you can't have good performances on 27, they would simply be better on 24.

Roger Federer would kick my ass even using a 10kg lead weighted racket, but he would certainly play better with a lighter racket, the same can be said when playing a shooter, the 99.9 % of the pros use 24-inch monitors and not 27 for obvious reasons, they would also be good on 27, but they use 24.
Last edited by IIISLIDEIII on 20 Nov 2021, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

planart

Post by planart » 20 Nov 2021, 07:01

For me the size of ~24" is essential to perform my best competitive. I've tried 27" 34" 38" too, some tens of hours trying to get used to but no. The bigger it becomes, can't aim snappy enough. For me this is even more important than a millisecond here, or extra Hz there. As long as it's "good enough" territory.

I theorize that I can pull 24" monitor closer to my face while still retaining largest possible FOV for my eyes available. When it's closer to my eyes I can make faster flicks and focus 100% to crosshair. If it's a bigger monitor and I pull it closer; the closer it comes the more FOV I lose (more eye movement needed) - and If I don't bring it up close I'm not making as precise and fast aim movements as up close. Hard to explain.

As a side note I've recently started to like this monitor again more. Calibrating the monitor with i1display made general colours much more pleasant and relaxed for the eye. Initially out of the box I found the image quality a bit "dirty" - something weird in gamma curve, blacks being even too black and white being too bright, making the whole monitor look a bit meh IQ-wise. Creating new icc profile really helped.

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 20 Nov 2021, 07:22

planart wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 07:01
For me the size of ~24" is essential to perform my best competitive. I've tried 27" 34" 38" too, some tens of hours trying to get used to but no. The bigger it becomes, can't aim snappy enough. For me this is even more important than a millisecond here, or extra Hz there. As long as it's "good enough" territory.

I theorize that I can pull 24" monitor closer to my face while still retaining largest possible FOV for my eyes available. When it's closer to my eyes I can make faster flicks and focus 100% to crosshair. If it's a bigger monitor and I pull it closer; the closer it comes the more FOV I lose (more eye movement needed) - and If I don't bring it up close I'm not making as precise and fast aim movements as up close. Hard to explain.

As a side note I've recently started to like this monitor again more. Calibrating the monitor with i1display made general colours much more pleasant and relaxed for the eye. Initially out of the box I found the image quality a bit "dirty" - something weird in gamma curve, blacks being even too black and white being too bright, making the whole monitor look a bit meh IQ-wise. Creating new icc profile really helped.
not just for you, for the whole competitive world.
What you wrote is exactly why 24 to 27 are preferred in competitive

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 22 Nov 2021, 10:01

Since XV252QF won latest RTINGS review, may I ask all true voters to go vote for new era Zowie monitor - Blur Busters Approved XG2431 with premium, flexible blur reduction on IPS. We finally got great performance at affordable price.

Vote for XG2431 at RTINGS

Here is a quick sneak peak. It's clearer than Zowie in this case scenario.

XG2431 and XL2546K.png
XG2431 and XL2546K.png (798.06 KiB) Viewed 7280 times
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

planart

Post by planart » 22 Nov 2021, 14:21

Discorz wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 10:01

Since XV252QF won latest RTINGS review, may I ask all true voters to go vote for new era Zowie monitor - Blur Busters Approved XG2431 with premium, flexible blur reduction on IPS. We finally got great performance at affordable price.

Vote for XG2431 at RTINGS

Here is a quick sneak peak. It's clearer than Zowie in this case scenario.

XG2431 and XL2546K.png
That does look mighty impressive. Man. When can I buy this in EU?

Axaion

Post by Axaion » 23 Nov 2021, 07:30

Sometime between now and 2077, as viewsonic does not sell it outside the US officially.
However, this thread is for the 390hz Acer.

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 25 Nov 2021, 23:18

It looks like nobody has the Acer 390hz in stock at the moment....

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 26 Nov 2021, 04:53

masterblaster wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 23:18
It looks like nobody has the Acer 390hz in stock at the moment....
Yeah, I’m glad I got mine from Amazon a few months ago. I think I ordered just before the demand went crazy. I had to wait about a week or two. Once I got it, I looked at the expected delivery date for future orders and they were about 1-2 months down the line. Hopefully you’ll be able to find one soon if you want it. I’d also recommend a top aftermarket cable. I’ve seen some reports of flickering at 390 Hz with the included cable and other cables.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)