Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tayzedd

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by tayzedd » 16 Jun 2022, 12:06

daviddave1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 03:13
masterblaster wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 16:20
tayzedd wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 10:34
I’ve been using the monitor for a couple weeks now and to be honest I’m somewhat disappointed. With the strobing on extreme it’s very dim. I kind of wish I had gone with a Zowie XL2546K or the viewsonic xg2431. I thought my 11900k and 3070 would get me enough frames in csgo on 1080p to make the monitor worthwhile but I usually can’t hit over upper 200’s unless I’m in 4:3.

Maybe I just need to give it some more time and try the strobing extreme more and get used to it. and maybe try to find one of these 3rd party brightness programs. can anyone recommend one? I already keep the ingame brightness maxed out.
Well..The zowie XL2546k is the only monitor with strobing that doesn't have negatives for brightness. And the zowie also has higher input lag, bad viewing angles and bad colors. The zowie is also severely overpriced so I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

The viewsonic xg2431 isnt bad but it is also very small. I didnt care for the hit to desktop space. I returned it.

I ended up keeping the Acer. I don't technically have this one though, I have the AOpen Firelegend 390hz. I don't use strobing.
I sold my Acer and went with the Zowie XL2546K.
Imo the Acer has a 25% better feel inputlag wise. The XL2546K has a 75% better feel sightwise.

Not only cause of the WAY better brightness but also cause the colors work BETTER to display enemy's.
Example,: the enemy has a green suit and is hiding in the grass. On the IPS panel chances are u can't see him. On the Zowie TN panel u can still spot him cause the different colors green are not smurred together like on the IPS.

This is also the case with shadows. If a enemy hides in the shadow with a dark outfit IPS cannot distinguish the shadow and the enemy and mushes them all together what means your death.

Wow the input lag is that noticeable? I thought it was only a few milliseconds difference?

What you are saying about the brightness and color are exactly what I’m looking for. Which is reassuring to read.

As ridiculous as it may be I may pick up a Zowie just to have both. I’ll probably regret it later, but I want to at least try it. People rave so much about the monitor. The brightness is really a game changer IMO, but I’m a noobie in the monitor testing realm compared to most on this board. Worst case scenario I can sell one and hopefully not lose too much money on it.

tayzedd

Post by tayzedd » 16 Jun 2022, 12:19

axaro1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 04:03
tayzedd wrote:
I’ve been using the monitor for a couple weeks now and to be honest I’m somewhat disappointed. With the strobing on extreme it’s very dim. I kind of wish I had gone with a Zowie XL2546K or the viewsonic xg2431. I thought my 11900k and 3070 would get me enough frames in csgo on 1080p to make the monitor worthwhile but I usually can’t hit over upper 200’s unless I’m in 4:3.

Maybe I just need to give it some more time and try the strobing extreme more and get used to it. and maybe try to find one of these 3rd party brightness programs. can anyone recommend one? I already keep the ingame brightness maxed out.
Are you strobing at 390hz with sub 200 fps? If that's the case not using VRB will achieve much better results.
I would personally avoid 390hz strobing if I can't achieve 300+ fps, in the few games where I can hit 390fps consistently it surely provides a great gaming experience.

In games where I can achieve 200~300 fps I just create a custom resolution at 240hz with 1950VT, 11/13 Crosstalk Test lines show no visible crosstalk, ufotests look like this: https://i.imgur.com/PHPjant.jpg

Both the XG2431 and 2546K are great monitors, the XG2431 with Color Profile set to Native + Ultra Fast OD can achieve non-gamma corrected Total Response times in the 4.0ms range which paired with strobing should be able to match or even beat the 2546K (+ it should have less crosstalk), it also costs less. If you are considering either one of these two monitors I'd go with the Viewsonic.

I didn't try the XG2431 so I can't make any first hand comparison but I do prefer the Acer at 240hz with 1950VT compared to the Benq at the same refresh rate (also with tweaked Vertical Totals https://i.imgur.com/GAwdyS0.png), the Zowie is still slightly better in terms of clarity but the Acer is a step ahead in terms of crosstalk, overdrive artifacts and it feels more responsive (which is to be expected with -150hz of headroom to tweak QFT).

Sorry for the double post but I’m on my phone so it’s easier this way.

I’ll try to fiddle with the settings some more tonight and see how it feels. I’ve tried the strobing extreme setting and it was just dim and hard to see. But I probably was not getting a consistent 300+ fps either. I only get that if I use a 4:3 stretched aspect ratio in csgo. I think I might need to turn my anti aliasing down to get more frames, not sure.

Do you use vrb extreme or normal? Also mine calls it ‘tvr’. I have the fire legend model. I think (not at home atm).

I’m bidding on an xl2546k on ebay right now so if I don’t get it I may consider the viewsonic, but it’s even less bright than the Acer right?(while strobing). The brightness seems important to me.

I’ve seen that term referenced here a lot but don’t quite know what it means or how to recognize it, “crosstalk”.

So if I put my Acer at 240hz and try strobing in csgo you think it will be better? I can give that a shot tonight. But the brightness will still be the same right? What is QFT? Also what is 1950VT? Is that in the monitor’s OSD menu?

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 16 Jun 2022, 13:18

tayzedd wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 12:19
Do you use vrb extreme or normal? Also mine calls it ‘tvr’. I have the fire legend model. I think (not at home atm).
I've always used VRB (=TVR) Extreme because it provides the best motion clarity at both 240 and 390hz but I recently started messing with VRB Normal because it also feels slightly better than VRB OFF while achieving almost 500nits.
tayzedd wrote:
I’m bidding on an xl2546k on ebay right now so if I don’t get it I may consider the viewsonic, but it’s even less bright than the Acer right?(while strobing). The brightness seems important to me.
The 2546K is 100nits less bright than the Acer with VRB Normal and VRB Off but it is 100nits brighter (both with Dyac ON/OFF) than the XG2431.
The XG2431 is unfortunately the dimmer of the 3(10 nits brighter than the Acer with VRB Extreme without strobing if Optimum Tech brightness results are correct).

Only the Benq and the Acer are using overvolted backlights.
tayzedd wrote:
So if I put my Acer at 240hz and try strobing in csgo you think it will be better? I can give that a shot tonight. But the brightness will still be the same right? What is QFT? Also what is 1950VT? Is that in the monitor’s OSD menu?
More info here about QFT, Strobing and VT here: viewtopic.php?t=8946

here's how to do it (sorry my Nvidia panel is not in ENG): https://i.imgur.com/ESheBQt.png
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 16 Jun 2022, 14:18

tayzedd wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 12:06
daviddave1 wrote:
masterblaster wrote:
tayzedd wrote:

Well..The zowie XL2546k is the only monitor with strobing that doesn't have negatives for brightness. And the zowie also has higher input lag, bad viewing angles and bad colors. The zowie is also severely overpriced so I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

The viewsonic xg2431 isnt bad but it is also very small. I didnt care for the hit to desktop space. I returned it.

I ended up keeping the Acer. I don't technically have this one though, I have the AOpen Firelegend 390hz. I don't use strobing.
Imo the Acer has a 25% better feel inputlag wise. The XL2546K has a 75% better feel sightwise.

Not only cause of the WAY better brightness but also cause the colors work BETTER to display enemy's.
Example,: the enemy has a green suit and is hiding in the grass. On the IPS panel chances are u can't see him. On the Zowie TN panel u can still spot him cause the different colors green are not smurred together like on the IPS.

This is also the case with shadows. If a enemy hides in the shadow with a dark outfit IPS cannot distinguish the shadow and the enemy and mushes them all together what means your death.

Wow the input lag is that noticeable? I thought it was only a few milliseconds difference?

What you are saying about the brightness and color are exactly what I’m looking for. Which is reassuring to read.

As ridiculous as it may be I may pick up a Zowie just to have both. I’ll probably regret it later, but I want to at least try it. People rave so much about the monitor. The brightness is really a game changer IMO, but I’m a noobie in the monitor testing realm compared to most on this board. Worst case scenario I can sell one and hopefully not lose too much money on it.
I had them both at the same time also. The plan was to use the Acer for Quake Live for the input lag. Quake Live is bright a.f. so the lower brightness wasnt a real issue there plus there are like only 8 colors used in QL.

I also used the Acer for Elden Ring or other nice esthetic Games with VRB on normal so the game would still be bright. In adventure games like Elden Ring inputlag and motion blur reduction are not really important compaired to competive fps games. Estectics is the biggest factor.
Estecticwise IPS is superiour to TN. Unfortunately estastics dont play a role in winning a fps multiplayer game. Visibility does as inputlag.

Also VRB on normal on the Acer is not comparible with Dyac on high on the Zowie:

Zowie Dyac on high CRUSHES Acers VRB on normal in fps games or with the blurbusters UFO test on 1200.

Thereby I would use the Zowie XL2546K for Apex, PUBG, Tarkov kinda games where visibility are a huge factor.

I tried it like that for a couple of days. I stopped playing Elding Ring and found out Quake Live is also good on the Zowie. The DYAC has his charmes in Quake Live. Its different then the ultra low inputlag & the motion blur reduction VRB on extreme the Acer gives. Some shots are managebale with DYAC on high that aren't managable on the Acer with VRB on extreme and vice versa. After 2 days I did not touched the Acer anymore so i decided to sell it. A 360 or 480/500 hz Zowie tn Monitor would def. Be the ultimate monitor. Cause the AUO panels are available I think we will see a announcement in 2 months.

Edit: I see you play CS GO. From what I understand the displayscaler in the XL2546K is inferiour compared to the displayscaler in the Zowie XL2540/XL2546. That why some pros still play CSGO on the XL2540/XL2546. But I am not a 100% sure on that. (The displayscaler on the Acer is the same as GPU scaling thats why its not used at all by CS GO pro's if I am not mistaken ) keep in mind I am not a CSGO player. I have read this in reviews of the XL2546K.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

tayzedd

Post by tayzedd » 16 Jun 2022, 19:40

daviddave1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 14:18
tayzedd wrote:
daviddave1 wrote:
masterblaster wrote:

I had them both at the same time also. The plan was to use the Acer for Quake Live for the input lag. Quake Live is bright a.f. so the lower brightness wasnt a real issue there plus there are like only 8 colors used in QL.

I also used the Acer for Elden Ring or other nice esthetic Games with VRB on normal so the game would still be bright. In adventure games like Elden Ring inputlag and motion blur reduction are not really important compaired to competive fps games. Estectics is the biggest factor.
Estecticwise IPS is superiour to TN. Unfortunately estastics dont play a role in winning a fps multiplayer game. Visibility does as inputlag.

Also VRB on normal on the Acer is not comparible with Dyac on high on the Zowie:

Zowie Dyac on high CRUSHES Acers VRB on normal in fps games or with the blurbusters UFO test on 1200.

Thereby I would use the Zowie XL2546K for Apex, PUBG, Tarkov kinda games where visibility are a huge factor.

I tried it like that for a couple of days. I stopped playing Elding Ring and found out Quake Live is also good on the Zowie. The DYAC has his charmes in Quake Live. Its different then the ultra low inputlag & the motion blur reduction VRB on extreme the Acer gives. Some shots are managebale with DYAC on high that aren't managable on the Acer with VRB on extreme and vice versa. After 2 days I did not touched the Acer anymore so i decided to sell it. A 360 or 480/500 hz Zowie tn Monitor would def. Be the ultimate monitor. Cause the AUO panels are available I think we will see a announcement in 2 months.

Edit: I see you play CS GO. From what I understand the displayscaler in the XL2546K is inferiour compared to the displayscaler in the Zowie XL2540/XL2546. That why some pros still play CSGO on the XL2540/XL2546. But I am not a 100% sure on that. (The displayscaler on the Acer is the same as GPU scaling thats why its not used at all by CS GO pro's if I am not mistaken ) keep in mind I am not a CSGO player. I have read this in reviews of the XL2546K.
I see, thanks for the detailed reply. I def want to get the zowie to compare now. I'm not sure what you mean about the display scaler. are you referring to changing the aspect ratio? I normally do that in Nvidia control panel. I cant imagine that that would differ from monitor to monitor but, is there something i dont understand? im about to hop on CS and play a little deathmatch with TVR extreme on.

Also I played elden ring on my Dell S2417DG which is 24in and 1440p. Great monitor but I think eventually I would like to get a 27in 1440p monitor to replace it, for other games similar to elden ring (ie not shooters, haha).

Axaro, thank you for the links, I will give that a look very soon. Here is a screenshot from OptimumTech on youtube: https://i.imgur.com/Ueaq2rz.png

It looks like he has measured the zowie to be brighter than the acer no matter what, unless im confused or missing something.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 17 Jun 2022, 01:38

tayzedd wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:40
daviddave1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 14:18
tayzedd wrote:
daviddave1 wrote:

I see, thanks for the detailed reply. I def want to get the zowie to compare now. I'm not sure what you mean about the display scaler. are you referring to changing the aspect ratio? I normally do that in Nvidia control panel. I cant imagine that that would differ from monitor to monitor but, is there something i dont understand? im about to hop on CS and play a little deathmatch with TVR extreme on.

Also I played elden ring on my Dell S2417DG which is 24in and 1440p. Great monitor but I think eventually I would like to get a 27in 1440p monitor to replace it, for other games similar to elden ring (ie not shooters, haha).

Axaro, thank you for the links, I will give that a look very soon. Here is a screenshot from OptimumTech on youtube: https://i.imgur.com/Ueaq2rz.png

It looks like he has measured the zowie to be brighter than the acer no matter what, unless im confused or missing something.
From what I understand people that use custom resolutions in CS GO use a program called CRU. But in the Nvidia Control Panel u can also choose what scaler to choose: the one in the display or the one in the gpu. The one in the display of the zowie looks better and give less inputlag.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Pek0

Post by Pek0 » 20 Jun 2022, 21:07

daviddave1 wrote:
masterblaster wrote:
tayzedd wrote:

I had the same exact opinion when I compared my acer and zowie. The ACER just made outlines in valorant feel very "smeared" that it made it hard to headshot people far away. I never had that issue on my zowie. I think the 150hz extra refresh was really nice in valorant when people were peaking. It was really smooth and helped with flicking.

junhafps

Post by junhafps » 25 Jun 2022, 15:30

For some reason my XV252QF settings constantly reset every time I shut down my desktop and start it up again. I am using the fire legend version. Specifically the TVR settings resets from Extreme -> Normal every time. Does anyone have a fix for this?

X4F

Post by X4F » 28 Jun 2022, 10:15

I hope someone can help me out

I play Halo infinite competitively with this monitor using extreme OD, no VRB. I have been capping my in-game halo settings to 120, and recently 240 but I’ve been learning about mismatched frames/monitor refresh rate being an issue,

the default options when my monitor is at 390hz, in halo, is 130, 195, 390 but when I change it to 360, it’s 120, 180, 240

my question is, what is optimal, considering the strain on computer mixed with never hitting 390 (can hit around 280 solid)

I’d like to play on 240 or as close to as possible. Should I put the acer back to 360hz in NVCP and play 240? or is 390hz and 240 in game still fine?

also does super sharpness add any latency?

DAYDRMZ

Post by DAYDRMZ » 29 Jun 2022, 19:57

Hi there was wondering if I should buy the Acer 25XV2Q FBMIIPRX for $330, Asus VG259QM for $250, or the Viewsonic XG2431 for $280? Just moved and currently have no monitor so upgrading regardless, just want to make sure I'm getting the best value out of my monitor thanks!