Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tayzedd

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by tayzedd » 31 May 2022, 11:16

Manimal 5000 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 20:39
I'll interrupt a minute to say I'm impressed with the monitor. Wish it were bigger, but the blur is not what I feared and down grading from 1440p to 1080 fine. Also impressed by just how much high fps alleviate so many problems, from tearing to blur to lag. You have to put out the fps to let this monitor show them. The strobing looks fine to me (the screen gets brighter not darker) but it's also now acceptable for me to use adaptive-sync, V-sync or just run it raw with little penalty.
Are you still liking the monitor ? Do you play any tac shooters on it like valorant or CSGO ? I am debating on getting this monitor. I have a Dell S2417DG and don't use it's ULMB because it's not bright enough. I'm debating between this Acer and a Zowie xl2546k. I will probably use the motion blur settings or at least try them out.

axaro1 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 03:43
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 14:44
Can you recommend a 1.4 VeSa Certifed DP cable for this monitor for me? One that's overkill in specs and that will support 390Hz? I've been looking on amazon but an not familiar with DP cables. The spare that I am using is a DP cable from my Omen 240Hz.. It eventually started flickering so I went back to the one that came with the monitor, then that started flickering again.. so I'm back to the Omen cable for now. But I need something that is 1000% reliable

Ty
I'm using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ce ... 143&sr=8-6.

Cable length does matter for Displayport Cables, the shorter the better, don't buy 3m+ cables.

Also, if you find one that is marketed as VeSa certified you should also use the official DP VeSa Certified List to double check (https://www.displayport.org/product-cat ... -adaptors/), some products marketed as certified are sometimes not in this list.

With some Amd graphics cards you can control Pre-Emphasis and Voltage Swing to improve Displayport stability with longer cables, it was possible to control these two setting both with my RX580 and 5700XT so I recommend you to give it a try with your 6900XT, it might fix your issues or be an indicator of this issue being 100% cable related.
I'm using a 15 ft DP cable and it seems fine to me. Is the length really that much of an issue? Also quoting you to ask about your experience with this monitor. Do you prefer it to the Zowie xl2546k? What games have you tried both on? Do you play CSGO or Valorant and if so which do you prefer for those games?

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 31 May 2022, 12:01

tayzedd wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:16
I'm using a 15 ft DP cable and it seems fine to me. Is the length really that much of an issue? Also quoting you to ask about your experience with this monitor. Do you prefer it to the Zowie xl2546k? What games have you tried both on? Do you play CSGO or Valorant and if so which do you prefer for those games?
I'm honestly surprised to hear that your 15ft cable works well, the general recommendation is to stay sub 2 meters (6.5ft) but if you can handle it with no issues good for you. From what I heard 390hz should be edging DP 1.4 specs , the stock cable appears to be the cause of flickering issues for some owners of this monitor.

The 2546K is a small step ahead in clarity but that's it, ingame the Acer feels more responsive, the colors are noticeably better and in my region it is also cheaper.

I only play Overwatch and Valorant, lately I've been using only VRR ON instead of strobing (because I average 240fps in OW and 220~280 in Apex), I also tried 240hz with custom VT since I can somewhat achieve 240fps consistently and it appeared to be more clear than the 2546K (giving me results such as this: https://imgur.com/a/PziS4BN), in the few games where I could achieve 390hz I preferred 390hz strobed compared to 240hz strobed.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

tayzedd

Post by tayzedd » 31 May 2022, 12:28

axaro1 wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:01
tayzedd wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:16
I'm honestly surprised to hear that your 15ft cable works well, the general recommendation is to stay sub 2 meters (6.5ft) but if you can handle it with no issues good for you. From what I heard 390hz should be edging DP 1.4 specs , the stock cable appears to be the cause of flickering issues for some owners of this monitor.

The 2546K is a small step ahead in clarity but that's it, ingame the Acer feels more responsive, the colors are noticeably better and in my region it is also cheaper.

I only play Overwatch and Valorant, lately I've been using only VRR ON instead of strobing (because I average 240fps in OW and 220~280 in Apex), I also tried 240hz with custom VT since I can somewhat achieve 240fps consistently and it appeared to be more clear than the 2546K (giving me results such as this: https://imgur.com/a/PziS4BN), in the few games where I could achieve 390hz I preferred 390hz strobed compared to 240hz strobed.

Here is the cable i have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094VYSZXW?th=1

My only issue is that I get random black screens on my monitor sometimes. But I think that may be an electrical issue. It seemed similar to a problem i saw someone else having a few pages back in this thread. or maybe another thread here, cant remember. Anyways, i think the cable works well, I wouldn't really know if it was causing much input lag i guess, but it seems fine to me :P

So have you owned the XL2546k before? I really can't decide between the two but I am leaning towards the Acer. Also both the Acer and Aopen version both have backlight strobing correct? The better brightness is somewhat appealing, but i feel like more frames is more important. But I'm not sure. I also saw someone in this thread mention a 'program' to make their monitor brighter. That isn't really a thing is it ?

I think I can get a Zowie used on ebay for the same price as the acer. I'm just wondering which will be better for csgo. Or maybe the better question is the zowie only slightly better clarity like you said? if so then the acer is probably the better choice for color quality and such. i'm very torn haha. almost wanting to get both.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 31 May 2022, 13:48

tayzedd wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:28
My only issue is that I get random black screens on my monitor sometimes. But I think that may be an electrical issue.
It definitely is an electrical issue most likely related to static electricity, I've seen a guy trigger it by removing the mousepad from his desk, I also suffered from it a couple of times when my headphone cable was touching the DP/Power supply cable. I had those black screens 2 times a week for an entire month then this issue disappeared completely (??).
tayzedd wrote:
So have you owned the XL2546k before?
Yes
tayzedd wrote:
I really can't decide between the two but I am leaning towards the Acer. Also both the Acer and Aopen version both have backlight strobing correct?
Yes
tayzedd wrote:
The better brightness is somewhat appealing, but i feel like more frames is more important. But I'm not sure. I also saw someone in this thread mention a 'program' to make their monitor brighter. That isn't really a thing is it ?
It is a thing but it only overrides the game to increase brightness at the expense of contrast, I think that using ingame brightness sliders is a more viable solution.
tayzedd wrote:
I think I can get a Zowie used on ebay for the same price as the acer. I'm just wondering which will be better for csgo. Or maybe the better question is the zowie only slightly better clarity like you said? if so then the acer is probably the better choice for color quality and such. i'm very torn haha. almost wanting to get both.
IPS is at a point where it can compete with TN, from my testings the XV252QF beats the 2546K at the same unstrobed speeds, it basically brute force motion clarity, the % of transitions inside the refresh window is not as good as the Benq but it can achieve better results with that refresh rate headroom.

The 2546K on the other hand ends up giving you clearer result (strictly with Dyac) but it does have a lot of flaws: overshooting artifacts, bad colors, ...
It is not a bad monitor strictly for competitive gaming but it is sub-par when compared to other 240hz alternatives in 2022.

The Omen x 25, which is a discontinued 240hz TN, achieves better results than the 2546K without strobing.

Compared to it, the XG2431 is a much better product at a lower price point, the XV252QF only makes sense if you can push those frames, that's where the Acer truly shine.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

Pek0

Post by Pek0 » 11 Jun 2022, 15:53

Has anyone figured out how to save VRB setting on startup/restart? I've noticed that some people have the issues of saving VRB extreme setting. Is this a fault of the OSD or a specific monitor fault?

I've noticed that hardly any reviewers brought this issue up.

tayzedd

Post by tayzedd » 15 Jun 2022, 10:34

I’ve been using the monitor for a couple weeks now and to be honest I’m somewhat disappointed. With the strobing on extreme it’s very dim. I kind of wish I had gone with a Zowie XL2546K or the viewsonic xg2431. I thought my 11900k and 3070 would get me enough frames in csgo on 1080p to make the monitor worthwhile but I usually can’t hit over upper 200’s unless I’m in 4:3.

Maybe I just need to give it some more time and try the strobing extreme more and get used to it. and maybe try to find one of these 3rd party brightness programs. can anyone recommend one? I already keep the ingame brightness maxed out.

tayzedd

Post by tayzedd » 15 Jun 2022, 13:53

Does anyone know of a chart or infographic or just a list showing the brightness/nits level of this monitor at all its different strobing modes/options?

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 15 Jun 2022, 16:20

tayzedd wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 10:34
I’ve been using the monitor for a couple weeks now and to be honest I’m somewhat disappointed. With the strobing on extreme it’s very dim. I kind of wish I had gone with a Zowie XL2546K or the viewsonic xg2431. I thought my 11900k and 3070 would get me enough frames in csgo on 1080p to make the monitor worthwhile but I usually can’t hit over upper 200’s unless I’m in 4:3.

Maybe I just need to give it some more time and try the strobing extreme more and get used to it. and maybe try to find one of these 3rd party brightness programs. can anyone recommend one? I already keep the ingame brightness maxed out.
Well..The zowie XL2546k is the only monitor with strobing that doesn't have negatives for brightness. And the zowie also has higher input lag, bad viewing angles and bad colors. The zowie is also severely overpriced so I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

The viewsonic xg2431 isnt bad but it is also very small. I didnt care for the hit to desktop space. I returned it.

I ended up keeping the Acer. I don't technically have this one though, I have the AOpen Firelegend 390hz. I don't use strobing.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 16 Jun 2022, 03:13

masterblaster wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 16:20
tayzedd wrote:

Well..The zowie XL2546k is the only monitor with strobing that doesn't have negatives for brightness. And the zowie also has higher input lag, bad viewing angles and bad colors. The zowie is also severely overpriced so I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

The viewsonic xg2431 isnt bad but it is also very small. I didnt care for the hit to desktop space. I returned it.

I ended up keeping the Acer. I don't technically have this one though, I have the AOpen Firelegend 390hz. I don't use strobing.
I sold my Acer and went with the Zowie XL2546K.
Imo the Acer has a 25% better feel inputlag wise. The XL2546K has a 75% better feel sightwise.

Not only cause of the WAY better brightness but also cause the colors work BETTER to display enemy's.
Example,: the enemy has a green suit and is hiding in the grass. On the IPS panel chances are u can't see him. On the Zowie TN panel u can still spot him cause the different colors green are not smurred together like on the IPS.

This is also the case with shadows. If a enemy hides in the shadow with a dark outfit IPS cannot distinguish the shadow and the enemy and mushes them all together what means your death.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 16 Jun 2022, 04:03

tayzedd wrote:

Are you strobing at 390hz with sub 200 fps? If that's the case not using VRB will achieve much better results.
I would personally avoid 390hz strobing if I can't achieve 300+ fps, in the few games where I can hit 390fps consistently it surely provides a great gaming experience.

In games where I can achieve 200~300 fps I just create a custom resolution at 240hz with 1950VT, 11/13 Crosstalk Test lines show no visible crosstalk, ufotests look like this: https://i.imgur.com/PHPjant.jpg

Both the XG2431 and 2546K are great monitors, the XG2431 with Color Profile set to Native + Ultra Fast OD can achieve non-gamma corrected Total Response times in the 4.0ms range which paired with strobing should be able to match or even beat the 2546K (+ it should have less crosstalk), it also costs less. If you are considering either one of these two monitors I'd go with the Viewsonic.

I didn't try the XG2431 so I can't make any first hand comparison but I do prefer the Acer at 240hz with 1950VT compared to the Benq at the same refresh rate (also with tweaked Vertical Totals https://i.imgur.com/GAwdyS0.png), the Zowie is still slightly better in terms of clarity but the Acer is a step ahead in terms of crosstalk, overdrive artifacts and it feels more responsive (which is to be expected with -150hz of headroom to tweak QFT).
*= currently owned