Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Slender

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by Slender » 24 Jul 2022, 11:13

im xl2546s owner
buy acer or waiting benq 360hz tn
or just upgrade to xl2540k?

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 24 Jul 2022, 11:53

TakenZ wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 00:35
So just to make sure I understand what I’ve read so far…

Since I’m going to be enabling the 390 HZ Overclock, I should put Overdrive to Extreme, TVR to Extreme, and then put FreeSync ON (with the hotkey trick mentioned previously). G-Sync should be disabled, as TVR and G-Sync cannot be enabled at the same time? I tried it and got a lot of flickering, so I’m assuming that’s the case.

You all would recommend no G-Sync over G-Sync for this monitor, right? Especially in games like Valorant and OW, where I can push to close to 400 FPS.

Only game I’m thinking of where I might want G-Sync is Warzone, but would OD Extreme, TVR Extreme, and Freesync ON still be better due to the backlight strobing?
no hotkey is for VRB extreme

and the panel i think only shows the gsync segment after u enable freesync which i'm guessing it detects as semi compatible? very weird stuff but i've not used nvp for sooooo long i really don't care tbo. it's enabled by default is I think because why would u not enable it if u enabled "sync" in monitor. if u opt not to use it i think by shutting off fsync it's already off in panel, no matter if you left gsync the option to be on or turned it off, so u don't have to further worry about it.

again you'd have to ask axaro1 or chief to further clarify since I don't understand how this actually works.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 24 Jul 2022, 14:01

Slender wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 11:13
im xl2546s owner
Definitely don't go for the 2540K.

The 390hz Acer is imo a sidegrade (I tried the 2546K not the 2546S, same panel, slightly different performance).

If you want to sacrifice some motion clarity for all the benefits of IPS + 390hz smoothness then get the Acer, I still prefer it over the 2546K even though the Zowie can provide the best motion clarity.
A good chunk of response times are not compliant with the refresh rate but 390hz pretty much brute force motion clarity to the point where I don't feel like recommending the 2546K anymore, especially considering the price point of both monitors.

If you want a monitor with most likely even better motion clarity than the 2546S wait for Benq 360hz TN (or the Alienware 360hz TN that will be released in a similar time frame). 360hz on a TN panel will easily take the motion clarity crown, unless 480hz from AUO/LG and 500hz BOE panels will deliver some kind of response times breakthrough.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Slender

Post by Slender » 24 Jul 2022, 17:27

axaro1 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 14:01
Slender wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 11:13
im xl2546s owner
Definitely don't go for the 2540K.

The 390hz Acer is imo a sidegrade (I tried the 2546K not the 2546S, same panel, slightly different performance).

If you want to sacrifice some motion clarity for all the benefits of IPS + 390hz smoothness then get the Acer, I still prefer it over the 2546K even though the Zowie can provide the best motion clarity.
A good chunk of response times are not compliant with the refresh rate but 390hz pretty much brute force motion clarity to the point where I don't feel like recommending the 2546K anymore, especially considering the price point of both monitors.

If you want a monitor with most likely even better motion clarity than the 2546S wait for Benq 360hz TN (or the Alienware 360hz TN that will be released in a similar time frame). 360hz on a TN panel will easily take the motion clarity crown, unless 480hz from AUO/LG and 500hz BOE panels will deliver some kind of response times breakthrough.
but, why not xl2540k?
i dont care about mprt

TakenZ

Post by TakenZ » 25 Jul 2022, 23:25

lyrill wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 11:53
TakenZ wrote:

Since I’m going to be enabling the 390 HZ Overclock, I should put Overdrive to Extreme, TVR to Extreme, and then put FreeSync ON (with the hotkey trick mentioned previously). G-Sync should be disabled, as TVR and G-Sync cannot be enabled at the same time? I tried it and got a lot of flickering, so I’m assuming that’s the case.

You all would recommend no G-Sync over G-Sync for this monitor, right? Especially in games like Valorant and OW, where I can push to close to 400 FPS.

Only game I’m thinking of where I might want G-Sync is Warzone, but would OD Extreme, TVR Extreme, and Freesync ON still be better due to the backlight strobing?

and the panel i think only shows the gsync segment after u enable freesync which i'm guessing it detects as semi compatible? very weird stuff but i've not used nvp for sooooo long i really don't care tbo. it's enabled by default is I think because why would u not enable it if u enabled "sync" in monitor. if u opt not to use it i think by shutting off fsync it's already off in panel, no matter if you left gsync the option to be on or turned it off, so u don't have to further worry about it.

again you'd have to ask axaro1 or chief to further clarify since I don't understand how this actually works.
Yeah I’m so lost. Chief said earlier in the thread that TVR (so strobing or VRB cuz I guess there’s a million names for this tech depending on the monitor) isn’t good if I’m not hitting 390 FPS consistently. I can’t hit 390 FPS in any game consistently, but I get close in Valo and OW.

I could cap my games at 240 FPS and go to 240 HZ with TVR, but then what was the point in buying this monitor because 390HZ is the main reason I bought it.

I know about G-Sync + VSync on in NVIDIA Control Panel + In-game cap 3 below refresh rate (387 FPS) is ideal if I want to use G-Sync, but since I can’t use G-Sync and TVR at the same time, I have to choose between them.

Then I saw this whole FreeSync On + TVR Extreme + OD Extreme produces the fastest response times, and I have no clue what to do.

I’m looking for the greatest edge I can get in comp FPS games. In terms of importance: 1) As fast of a response time as possible, 2) The fastest GtG response time I can get so I see targets before they see me, then 3) As little motion blur as possible so my game is buttery smooth.

I’m really sorry, I wish I understood what was going on better and I wasn’t asking the equivalent of “TL:DR what settings should I use”, but I’m so overwhelmed. In Optimum Tech’s video, he says he didn’t notice a difference in games until he enables TVR, but could it only be that amazing because he’s able to get 400+ FPS 24/7 in Valo?

MrStinkybutt

Post by MrStinkybutt » 26 Jul 2022, 04:55

I'm considering getting the XV252QZ - the 280 Hz version monitor. Here in Denmark it's currently half the price of the XV252QF. Basically one of the cheapest gaming monitors in Denmark atm.
Furthermore I'm not sure my older system 8700K @ 4.8 GHz with a 1080GTX is gonna keep up with 360-390 Hz in CSGO.

Are there any other differences between the XV252QZ and XV252QF besides the refresh rate?

uoser

Post by uoser » 26 Jul 2022, 16:47

TakenZ wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 23:25
lyrill wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 11:53
TakenZ wrote:

Yeah I’m so lost. Chief said earlier in the thread that TVR (so strobing or VRB cuz I guess there’s a million names for this tech depending on the monitor) isn’t good if I’m not hitting 390 FPS consistently. I can’t hit 390 FPS in any game consistently, but I get close in Valo and OW.

I could cap my games at 240 FPS and go to 240 HZ with TVR, but then what was the point in buying this monitor because 390HZ is the main reason I bought it.

I know about G-Sync + VSync on in NVIDIA Control Panel + In-game cap 3 below refresh rate (387 FPS) is ideal if I want to use G-Sync, but since I can’t use G-Sync and TVR at the same time, I have to choose between them.

Then I saw this whole FreeSync On + TVR Extreme + OD Extreme produces the fastest response times, and I have no clue what to do.

I’m looking for the greatest edge I can get in comp FPS games. In terms of importance: 1) As fast of a response time as possible, 2) The fastest GtG response time I can get so I see targets before they see me, then 3) As little motion blur as possible so my game is buttery smooth.

I’m really sorry, I wish I understood what was going on better and I wasn’t asking the equivalent of “TL:DR what settings should I use”, but I’m so overwhelmed. In Optimum Tech’s video, he says he didn’t notice a difference in games until he enables TVR, but could it only be that amazing because he’s able to get 400+ FPS 24/7 in Valo?
i only play ow so cant say much about other game settings like valorant. in ow i usually get 300-400 fps. 320 average during very heavy benchmarks, using a benchmark code on oasis you can find somewhere online. i probably average above 320fps during normal games but it definitely isnt stable at 390 throughout the whole game.

i used to use this monitor at 390hz, od extreme with no vrb/tvr and no sync. at those settings i thought the monitor was very good. another thing is i never really notice any tearing, probably a personal thing. even if it was there i probably wouldn't notice it. so if you're very sensitive to that maybe this advice wont be as useful. i've also had a stint where i used od normal for hitscan, i.e soldier, mcree, ashe etc and od extreme for flex dps like echo, pharah, genji, hanzo, tracer etc. no idea why i felt the differences. maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in on that.

after trying many different settings i've settled on 300hz with a higher vt (using cru), 300fps cap, od extreme, vrb exteme, no sync technologies. i can't exactly tell you the major differences between my current settings and the 390hz/od extreme but to ME it felt like 390hz felt like it had very slightly less input lag. current 300hz settings feels smoother, i feel like i can keep track of squishies in big team fights with a couple tanks in front of your face with effects going off everywhere. in the end i just experimented with a setting for a couple of weeks to see which i personally felt better with and which i played better with. also, i play 1280x768 if that makes any difference.

as for the freesync, turn off in nvcp, using vrb/tvr extreme. im currently tring it out. don't notice any difference. but it doesn't hurt so i just keep it on. to make the steps as clear as possible.

1.) Turn on freesync in the monitor OSD.
2.) This will reveal the gysnc menu in the nvcp.
3.) Turn gsync off in nvcp.
4.) Set a hotkey for VRB/TVR in the monitor osd.
5.) Set monitor to OD extreme.
6.) Using the hotkey for VRB/TVR set it to extreme.

in the end the best way to find your preferred settings is to actually try the settings for a week or two, or compare benchmarks if fps is whats important to you. its a hassle to change settings so much but its worth it to find your own preferred settings which you enjoy playing with. plus if you just straight out don't like a particular set of settings, you'll know right away after trying all these different settings.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 28 Jul 2022, 10:35

ye those are the exact steps haha <3 but ye I didn't notice anything better or worse than double extreme so gave up. i may try again when i get to trying pubg new map, which is a longer time commitment than random ow dm rounds which is basically all i play recently

UFOman380

Post by UFOman380 » 29 Jul 2022, 03:23

Would this monitor still be good for 240fps shooters and locked 60fps games like fighting games? I heard you can still make use of the lower input delay at lower HZ but I'm not sure.

nzfernan

Post by nzfernan » 03 Aug 2022, 20:11

UFOman380 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 03:23
Would this monitor still be good for 240fps shooters and locked 60fps games like fighting games? I heard you can still make use of the lower input delay at lower HZ but I'm not sure.
Im wondering the same thing but for 120 hz ps5 use. Does anybody have experience or data on response time and motion clarity for 120 hz?