Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
daviddave1

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by daviddave1 » 05 Jan 2022, 15:14

mkdp wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 14:07
Anyone else not able to change brightness when VRB is enabled? The brightness is way too high for me when I put VRB on Normal. If I change the brightness (low or high) then VRB gets disabled automatically. Same thing happens with VRB on Extreme. On Extreme the brightness is OK for me but the screen flickering hurts my eyes too much so I have been playing with VRB off.

I also experienced the flickering issue with 390hz. I could maybe play five or even ten CS matches without issues but then it suddenly appeared. I event bought a high quality Club3D DP-cable but the same problem persists. I have now set 'OpenGL rendering GPU' as my GPU (it was on 'Auto Select') and the same problem has not appeared (at least not yet). The setting can be changed from NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings.

Anyone wondering how this monitor is for CS:GO. Its great.
you see? my solution works. I hope omniazur is not to stubborn to try it
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

omniazur

Post by omniazur » 05 Jan 2022, 18:03

daviddave1 wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 15:14
mkdp wrote:
Anyone else not able to change brightness when VRB is enabled? The brightness is way too high for me when I put VRB on Normal. If I change the brightness (low or high) then VRB gets disabled automatically. Same thing happens with VRB on Extreme. On Extreme the brightness is OK for me but the screen flickering hurts my eyes too much so I have been playing with VRB off.

I also experienced the flickering issue with 390hz. I could maybe play five or even ten CS matches without issues but then it suddenly appeared. I event bought a high quality Club3D DP-cable but the same problem persists. I have now set 'OpenGL rendering GPU' as my GPU (it was on 'Auto Select') and the same problem has not appeared (at least not yet). The setting can be changed from NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings.

I think I have found the fix because any nvidia drivers after 471.96 causes flickering and black screen on and off for me. So I am using 471.96 instead of the latest drivers now.

askdrax

Post by askdrax » 06 Jan 2022, 05:02

I may have found a solution (has been working for a couple of hours now with zero flicker):

In Nvidia Control Panel, add a Custom Resolution for 1920x1080 @ 390Hz and select "Manual" Timing.

That's it.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 06 Jan 2022, 05:11

omniazur wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 18:03
daviddave1 wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 15:14
mkdp wrote:

I think I have found the fix because any nvidia drivers after 471.96 causes flickering and black screen on and off for me. So I am using 471.96 instead of the latest drivers now.
ah my bad. I see u already say that before. Glad it works now. It the problem comes back try the OpenGL rendering GPU setting in NVDIA CONTROL PANEL. Put that manually on your GPU. ( not auto detect)
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 08 Jan 2022, 20:03

Wonder when they will have updated stock, been wanting to order one for awhile.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 09 Jan 2022, 04:14

ysenojftw wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 20:03
Wonder when they will have updated stock, been wanting to order one for awhile.
It's in stock both in Europe in the US. If you tell me what part of the world u live I can maybe help u out.

plshelpme

Post by plshelpme » 09 Jan 2022, 17:30

daviddave1 wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 03:56
bluefrisky wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 00:52
Notty_PT wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:54
Zace wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 07:11

Your not sponsored by AOC by any chance?
Oh, Just because I like their particular model? Sure.. I was also sponsored by viewsonic 4 years ago when I heavily recomended xg2401...

I Just like matured panels, they have the best pixel response time and lowest input lag for the refresh rate.

Every 360hz monitor is rubbish, Acer nitro too. It is my opinion and trust me, I am not the only one.
This monitor has been confirmed to have the lowest input lag out of any monitor, multiple times. Not only that but it has the highest refresh rate recorded, and a pretty good pixel response time, one that can keep up with 360-390hz. It is also $350 at micro center, making it a no-brainer over any other e-sports monitor on the market, unless you really want DYAC levels of motion clarity and don't care about anything else. From my own testing, this monitor at 390Hz/390FPS constant with VRB on extreme feels a few levels better than the zowie at 240Hz/FPS with DYAC+ on. I can feel the smoother frames, lower input lag, and motion clarity is about equal simply because of the higher refresh rate and more than serviceable VRB setting. It's also cheaper and the colors on it are better than the Zowie.

You really just come off as a hater for the sake of being a hater, without having any data to backup your little feelings.
I get where Notty_PT is coming from and I appreciate it. I got the XG2401 that he recommended couple years ago & absolutely loved it.

I also tried the TN Zowie XL2546K, the IPS Alienware 360hz and now the IPS Acer 390hz. Cause I play Quake Live and Quake Champions (besides PUBG) I prefer the IPS Acer 390hz compared to the TN Zowie XL2546K. I also prefer the Alienware 360hz compared to the TN Zowie XL2546K.

Inputlag is a huge factor in Quake Live. I tried Quake Live on the XL2546K and it was not good. I was a medium player with it.
On the IPS Acer 390hz ( and the TN XG2401 144hz! and the IPS Alienware 360hz) I am always at the top players. That's why I returned the XL2546K: I was not willing to give up the enjoyment of winning in Quake Live and then just be a regular player.
A plus also of the IPS Acer 390hz is the motionblur reduction (VRB) on 390hz!! That is very noticeable and nice! That the Acer 390hz is a little less bright with VRB on is not a issue in Quake. It is definitely worth it.

I also like to ad that your preference depends on your main game.

TGLTN pro PUBG player was ranting pretty hard in his stream after he had to play on a sponsored IPS 360 hz Alienware on a Korean PUBG tournament and lost early on. TGLTN ranted that he does not care about beautiful colors or inputlag in PUBG when there is motionblur. The Dyac and the TN panel on the Zowie XL2546K where essential for the lowest motionblur and best clarity possible. He literally said IPS is crap for PUBG. I don't think he only said that cause he just lost in the tourney.

I remember playing PUBG on the Zowie XL2546K the visibility was extremely good.

The colors of IPS displays are only superior on the esthetic side.

On the TN Zowie XL2546K u can change the colors and sharpness making the enemy's stand out like nothing else. It reminded me of a extra digital vibrance setting to make the enemy's "pop out" so they can't hide in the darkness or somewhere else.
For visibility (and thereby tracking the enemy's) the colors on the TN Zowie XL2546K are way better then the colors the IPS panels generate.

On most IPS panels u can't adjust the colors or sharpness. On the IPS Acer 390hz u can adjust the colors a little. But because of the low brightness the motion blur reduction (VRB) gives u not really notice it. Plus these settings cannot be saved! (Its a bug!)

On the IPS Acer 390hz with VRB on extreme there is more blur then on the TN Zowie XL2546K Dyac plus with VRB on extreme the Acer 390hz is not very bright.

If u only play PUBG and no other games the XL2546K is the best I think: U see enemies the best.

Having said that a game also like Apex will feel way more snappier on the IPS then on the TN. The lower inputlag on the IPS is definitely very noticeable.

When Zowie comes out with a 360/390/480 hz TN DYAC I will definitely give it a try. It will be the best of both worlds.
Just picked up this monitor off your recommendation. Can you suggest any settings? I'm only hitting 300-450 fps depending on the situation/area of the map. Thanks.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 09 Jan 2022, 18:33

plshelpme wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 17:30
daviddave1 wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 03:56
bluefrisky wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 00:52
Notty_PT wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:54

Oh, Just because I like their particular model? Sure.. I was also sponsored by viewsonic 4 years ago when I heavily recomended xg2401...

I Just like matured panels, they have the best pixel response time and lowest input lag for the refresh rate.

Every 360hz monitor is rubbish, Acer nitro too. It is my opinion and trust me, I am not the only one.
This monitor has been confirmed to have the lowest input lag out of any monitor, multiple times. Not only that but it has the highest refresh rate recorded, and a pretty good pixel response time, one that can keep up with 360-390hz. It is also $350 at micro center, making it a no-brainer over any other e-sports monitor on the market, unless you really want DYAC levels of motion clarity and don't care about anything else. From my own testing, this monitor at 390Hz/390FPS constant with VRB on extreme feels a few levels better than the zowie at 240Hz/FPS with DYAC+ on. I can feel the smoother frames, lower input lag, and motion clarity is about equal simply because of the higher refresh rate and more than serviceable VRB setting. It's also cheaper and the colors on it are better than the Zowie.

You really just come off as a hater for the sake of being a hater, without having any data to backup your little feelings.
I get where Notty_PT is coming from and I appreciate it. I got the XG2401 that he recommended couple years ago & absolutely loved it.

I also tried the TN Zowie XL2546K, the IPS Alienware 360hz and now the IPS Acer 390hz. Cause I play Quake Live and Quake Champions (besides PUBG) I prefer the IPS Acer 390hz compared to the TN Zowie XL2546K. I also prefer the Alienware 360hz compared to the TN Zowie XL2546K.

Inputlag is a huge factor in Quake Live. I tried Quake Live on the XL2546K and it was not good. I was a medium player with it.
On the IPS Acer 390hz ( and the TN XG2401 144hz! and the IPS Alienware 360hz) I am always at the top players. That's why I returned the XL2546K: I was not willing to give up the enjoyment of winning in Quake Live and then just be a regular player.
A plus also of the IPS Acer 390hz is the motionblur reduction (VRB) on 390hz!! That is very noticeable and nice! That the Acer 390hz is a little less bright with VRB on is not a issue in Quake. It is definitely worth it.

I also like to ad that your preference depends on your main game.

TGLTN pro PUBG player was ranting pretty hard in his stream after he had to play on a sponsored IPS 360 hz Alienware on a Korean PUBG tournament and lost early on. TGLTN ranted that he does not care about beautiful colors or inputlag in PUBG when there is motionblur. The Dyac and the TN panel on the Zowie XL2546K where essential for the lowest motionblur and best clarity possible. He literally said IPS is crap for PUBG. I don't think he only said that cause he just lost in the tourney.

I remember playing PUBG on the Zowie XL2546K the visibility was extremely good.

The colors of IPS displays are only superior on the esthetic side.

On the TN Zowie XL2546K u can change the colors and sharpness making the enemy's stand out like nothing else. It reminded me of a extra digital vibrance setting to make the enemy's "pop out" so they can't hide in the darkness or somewhere else.
For visibility (and thereby tracking the enemy's) the colors on the TN Zowie XL2546K are way better then the colors the IPS panels generate.

On most IPS panels u can't adjust the colors or sharpness. On the IPS Acer 390hz u can adjust the colors a little. But because of the low brightness the motion blur reduction (VRB) gives u not really notice it. Plus these settings cannot be saved! (Its a bug!)

On the IPS Acer 390hz with VRB on extreme there is more blur then on the TN Zowie XL2546K Dyac plus with VRB on extreme the Acer 390hz is not very bright.

If u only play PUBG and no other games the XL2546K is the best I think: U see enemies the best.

Having said that a game also like Apex will feel way more snappier on the IPS then on the TN. The lower inputlag on the IPS is definitely very noticeable.

When Zowie comes out with a 360/390/480 hz TN DYAC I will definitely give it a try. It will be the best of both worlds.
Just picked up this monitor off your recommendation. Can you suggest any settings? I'm only hitting 300-450 fps depending on the situation/area of the map. Thanks.
Nice dude. I have:

Picture:

Brightness: 100
Blackboost: 10
Contrast: ( u need to play around with contrast its kinda hard depends on your nvidia settings and game)
Super Sharpness: on
Max Brightness: on

Color:

Gamma: 2.2. ( u need to play around with this also)
Color Temp: Warm
6- Axis Saturate: Here u can make some colors pop. I would have used this setting but the monitor does not save these settings! So i just leave this standard.

Gaming: ( most important part)

Overdrive: Extreme. ( keep in mind extreme will cause overshoot. Most people have this on normal also play around with this)
AMD Freesync Premium: Off ( This is the GSYNC setting. U cannot use GSYNC AND VRB at the same time.)
VRB: Extreme ( imo the best setting of this monitor and why it stands out so much.. it will make the screen a little darker but def. worth it. U can see the difference this setting make on https://www.testufo.com/ ( put Pixel per second on 1440) Watch the little white dots in the red u should make up the 6 x 3 white dots. Without VRB on extreme it will be blurry. I def feel and see a difference in my game results with this setting.

System:

Over Clock: On

KEEP IN MIND: somehow the monitor does NOT save the VRB setting. When u reboot the PC u have to put VRB back on extreme. It's bugged.

Hope this helps!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 10 Jan 2022, 00:26

Got 17 Acer AOPEN 390Hz, at my local MC, for $399

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 10 Jan 2022, 10:02

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 00:26
Got 17 Acer AOPEN 390Hz, at my local MC, for $399
Nice. Can u share your findings a little compared to the other monitors u have?