Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by Notty_PT » 06 Nov 2021, 19:12

lizardpeter wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 14:12
Discorz wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 12:35
Yes, no doubt 390 is a bit much for this IPS. What I did here is approached with a bit different comparison.
I agree. I would have preferred TN. I literally have no problem with any of the “downsides” of TN. However, the fact of the matter is that these highest refresh displays are all IPS. The fastest response times are all OLEDs. TN is leading the way in nothing right now. As for the extra 150 Hz over 240 Hz compared to the very slightly worse response times, I can notice a massive difference playing a game that can reach 390 FPS on this 390 Hz monitor over a game at 390 FPS on my 240 Hz monitor. So whatever the response time difference is, I think it’s much less important than the refresh rate increase (since the response time is already within 1-2 ms of the best TN monitors).
I guess I know what you like as a player. Seems to me you are a big fan of having every frame displayed on the monitor. Só I understand you liking 320fps at 390hz for example, instead of 320fps at 240hz, wich go past the refresh and ofc always look a bit more stuttery. Plus if you lock fps at 237fps at 240hx you are increasing input lag and that is not good

I understand that, 100%, and that is a big advantage for 360hz for sure

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 06 Nov 2021, 20:04

I upgraded from an acer that overclocked to 260 or 270hz I forget which, to a 360hz Alienware and honestly it feels kinda worse. The colors are horrendous on the Alienware, wondering if this acer 390 would be a better fit.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 06 Nov 2021, 21:16

ysenojftw wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 20:04
I upgraded from an acer that overclocked to 260 or 270hz I forget which, to a 360hz Alienware and honestly it feels kinda worse. The colors are horrendous on the Alienware, wondering if this acer 390 would be a better fit.
Exactly which monitor was it? Notty does bring up a good point about the response times. I guess some people might value or notice that more than the improved refresh rate. It’s all about compromise. However, by all accounts that I have seen (of people who have tried both) this monitor is better than the Alienware one. You get more settings, BFI up to 390 Hz, lower input lag, better colors (according to FR33THY), and apparently better response times (we will have to see).

All I can say from experience is that as an upgrade from my AW2518H 1080p 240 Hz TN monitor, I can easily notice improvements with this monitor. In Call of Duty, I can easily tell when the FPS is high (I get about 300 FPS) that this monitor is superior to the 240 Hz options I have tried. I just tried yesterday on Minecraft to compare them side by side at 500 FPS. The difference is night and day in favor of the 390 Hz monitor imo.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

mxblue

Post by mxblue » 06 Nov 2021, 21:23

Noticing some posts on this thread claiming 240hz TN is better than this monitor. Is there any hard evidence to support these claims? I have this monitor now it so far it seems pretty incredible - the BFI is actually quite bright and flick shots seem dead on - better than the Alienware 360hz I had before. Only thing similar I’ve experienced is the Xl2546k from a motion/clarity perspective. But this clearly beats the xl2546k in colors.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Nov 2021, 02:29

Discorz wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 12:35
Notty_PT wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 20:04
Yes, no doubt 390 is a bit much for this IPS. What I did here is approached with a bit different comparison.

It was a surprise when PG259QN came out with IPS. 480 will very likely be too.
"this ips" can be oc beyond 400hz people have found out about it very early both in the West and East. I'd worry more about the stability of those alterations than the stock itself.
Last edited by lyrill on 07 Nov 2021, 03:45, edited 3 times in total.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Nov 2021, 02:32

Notty_PT wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 19:06
lyrill wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 23:04
where are the tn improvements?

the imax segments in transformer 2 /interstellar etc were taller. weren't old crt also taller/squarer?

Also, the quake duel or basically ANY 1v1 GAME= MASTER RACE argument/superstition is literally living in decade+ ago. You can disregard team games like csgo and league all you want, but BR was introduced exactly to break the stale bs that are modern team games (blame simulator). The answer is already there, IT is still multiplayer, but no forced and reducive predefined team modes/sizes. because IT, GAMING, is always meant to be more complex and higher consciousness, not suddenly uninstalling the brain and reverting back to cave men era, when the robots have already way surpassed us in many basic functionality areas. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. (also I don't think cavemen are capable of computing what to do in a mere 1v1v1 scenario, not even Billions in all of 5 seasons had really written out a good plot for that.) EVERYONE and ANYONE that think any title aside from PUBG played in the vanilla 2017 eas4 or prior way is any indicative of what's the latest or the furthest esport has ever achieved/reached, has basically zero credulity in talking about game or gaming gear. You can still express opinions all you want, duh, but the moment you step out and declare those opinions as the singular truth, or somehow so meta and next level, well I'm sorry but you are just so unfortunately wrong. this is the last time I will say this, if you have any legitimate doubt you are more than welcome, as ever nothing reasonble is set in stone, it's just that there are bound to be more and more manchilds in all walks of existence who are confused which direction history should go; otherwise do not try to paint me in any negative light just because high chance there's nothing better to say about the topic because unfortunately whenever I speak I speak volume greater than 1000 and the more hiveminded people get the less compromising they should expect me to be, as, if it is to be, I alone hold the balance of justice against all the fakeness and ugliness. After all the resident trolling and unabashed ignorance done by wayward stranders high and low, I'm still here.

ps: ForTheLastTime, is it worse to say a game that is at least interesting to play for the average pubber, that which never prolly should have been turned into esport, is an afterthought as an esport ; or worse for a game to be absolutely zero fun to play or watch but is "certified legit esports" aka have tons of cashflow and investor interest (or is it money laundering/ponzi scheme, I cannot tell the difference) ? I take no credit in the way the latter is described or frowned upon by most people with a conscience.
I notice you keep trying to somewhat disregard quake as one of the most skilled games around. You are doing it literally every post.

But this is not a forum for that Kind of debates. Let me Just tell you that counterstrike came from quake.. it was a mod ;)

This is irrelevant anyway,. Quake players are not the only ones going back to TNs or 240hz monitors. Even shroud went back to his 240hz lol
not literally every post by far, please. I already said on twitter it is the most skilled in flicking when I am the player, AT 150 PING because deal with a dead game's ccu since 2017, shrugface. And that means your average casual tdm, dm, unholy trinity, comparatively(?) devoid of attitude (btw I casually curbrolled someone like ranked 50 or something 2 seasons ago. that is, thy holy precious 1v1 duel leaderboard. Mind you these people have easily 10s of 100s X of my hours clocked in the quake ip. If any of the "pros" are too good for casual and actually can curbstomp me, well that's their loss they don't ever arrive to prove their worth. I've constantly get people calling bs on the most basic thing I do and they think it's because I am high ping or whatever other game mechanics bs not for this post, yet it's the same deal whether on 50/150/300 ping and this ain't even getting into how low ping also obviously always had first advantage to begin with) . Otherwise the game has zero core value. Because the devs, what few left, were and still are too stuck up/ignorant to make a BR (solo FFA elim no respawn with open world, preset team modes are for casuls, hence pubg esport is joke), or delete all modes but the ctf and strategic stuff. I mean, even OW still holds a yearly ranked DM, on top of exclusively updating DM only maps--for a game that main other none DM modes, meaning they KNOW that solo DM is a lot more fun for what's left of the players to just casually glean at--, but no, for quake, FFA is too casual, CTF, sacrifice, what is that? no, everything is beneath 1v1 duels forever and ever, because reasons. And therefore, because reasons, I don't take QC seriously as I never did for 5 years.

You are quoting me when you shoulda noticed I stopped quoting you for obvious reasons. Should have just left it like that m8. And as it is further proven, there's very likely nothing you know or bother to lecture me about, that I don't already know like 20 years ago. Moreover, I never wanted to repeat but it would hurt more to say quake, cs, cod, etc crowds have the sort of adhd "shoot on sight" "shoot to kill" "gaming is just venting" mentality hard wired into their psyche it's almost hopeless to rid it. The so called "tactical" aspects is a nice way of self glorifying or sugar coating that it doesn't actually take more than grade school consciousness to functionally "compete" in said games. So please go back to actually read the things you quote but ignored, meant for clearly not just you alone but everyone that, as I already said "very likely would take issue with", or shrug off/downplay/pretend you can't fathom, well it's the same thing. tyvm.

Shroud is a Logitech G diehard, like most post 2015 relevant gamers. Find me another person except me that has over the past year 100.000% officially carbon print decreed all Logitech mice/1khz mice aside from maybe Prime+, worthless. You don't use 8khz, you literally don't need 300hz+, this has been conveyed so many times for the last year, but feel free to further read and discuss on that other thread

Find me also another person that has effectively stopped bothering to downplay 5 full years+ old 3389 when people are still debating about, oh, what is it, essentially 6 if not 7 years old 3360's relevance, just so they can smokescreen all the brands still selling 3389, all of which basically chanting something like "sensors have all been flawless since 201X you can't go wrong with XYZ they are basically all good there need not be further development there need not be more :sensor race tax:>, all while buying like 50 of the same fk/ec clone with the same 3389 to sit on a dozen Hien, a product released in pre 2010, to collect dust. For what? Easy and basic commerce of tools and toys made for plentiful generic games, on a regurgitated and tired out industry inclined to collapsing on itself.
Last edited by lyrill on 07 Nov 2021, 06:58, edited 49 times in total.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Nov 2021, 02:57

mxblue wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 21:23
Noticing some posts on this thread claiming 240hz TN is better than this monitor. Is there any hard evidence to support these claims? I have this monitor now it so far it seems pretty incredible - the BFI is actually quite bright and flick shots seem dead on - better than the Alienware 360hz I had before. Only thing similar I’ve experienced is the Xl2546k from a motion/clarity perspective. But this clearly beats the xl2546k in colors.
flick shots benefit from highest hz available. people flick differently, but the more radical you flick, the less likely others (for example those fixated on hit scanning/cannot understand micro/macro/meta predictive gaming) will truly understand just why arena fps, and partially in result fps in total, are still not completely worthless as a gaming genre. Also in case I am accused again for talking vapor, Battlerite, which is 5 year anni and giving away all champ pack for free today, is a none "fps" where flicking is very very basic footwork, and AGAIN, another game where only I and nobody else flick as crazy and effective as I do (as cheap as the playerbase of mostly all games are, as none pandering as I am, I did have gotten some high praises pertaining to how wacky I was). No, it does not have a meaningful skill ladder. Yes, it had a BR, for a game called BR (and the "core" 3v3 stans could not get with the irony), and I was top 5--before they pandered to kill rating sweatbois who were just in it to "stomp/steamroll noobs" like they ever was in the base game.

And this is funny because people also hate the Apple Foundation. It's like, the show's not over yet, let it finish 8 seasons or whatever then do the hating lol.

mxblue

Post by mxblue » 07 Nov 2021, 09:12

lyrill wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 02:57
mxblue wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 21:23
flick shots benefit from highest hz available. people flick differently, but the more radical you flick, the less likely others (for example those fixated on hit scanning/cannot understand micro/macro/meta predictive gaming) will truly understand just why arena fps, and partially in result fps in total, are still not completely worthless as a gaming genre. Also in case I am accused again for talking vapor, Battlerite, which is 5 year anni and giving away all champ pack for free today, is a none "fps" where flicking is very very basic footwork, and AGAIN, another game where only I and nobody else flick as crazy and effective as I do (as cheap as the playerbase of mostly all games are, as none pandering as I am, I did have gotten some high praises pertaining to how wacky I was). No, it does not have a meaningful skill ladder. Yes, it had a BR, for a game called BR (and the "core" 3v3 stans could not get with the irony), and I was top 5--before they pandered to kill rating sweatbois who were just in it to "stomp/steamroll noobs" like they ever was in the base game.

And this is funny because people also hate the Apple Foundation. It's like, the show's not over yet, let it finish 8 seasons or whatever then do the hating lol.
I believe English is your second language so please take this as constructive feedback not an insult. You need to cut down on the length of your posts and use less complicated words. English writing benefits from being short and direct, especially in a forum conversation. It’s hard to follow what your point is because of the length of your reply and the need to use over-complicated words. Again this isn’t meant as an insult, just trying to help.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Nov 2021, 10:40

lyrill wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 02:32
Notty_PT wrote:
lyrill wrote:

the imax segments in transformer 2 /interstellar etc were taller. weren't old crt also taller/squarer?

Also, the quake duel or basically ANY 1v1 GAME= MASTER RACE argument/superstition is literally living in decade+ ago. You can disregard team games like csgo and league all you want, but BR was introduced exactly to break the stale bs that are modern team games (blame simulator). The answer is already there, IT is still multiplayer, but no forced and reducive predefined team modes/sizes. because IT, GAMING, is always meant to be more complex and higher consciousness, not suddenly uninstalling the brain and reverting back to cave men era, when the robots have already way surpassed us in many basic functionality areas. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. (also I don't think cavemen are capable of computing what to do in a mere 1v1v1 scenario, not even Billions in all of 5 seasons had really written out a good plot for that.) EVERYONE and ANYONE that think any title aside from PUBG played in the vanilla 2017 eas4 or prior way is any indicative of what's the latest or the furthest esport has ever achieved/reached, has basically zero credulity in talking about game or gaming gear. You can still express opinions all you want, duh, but the moment you step out and declare those opinions as the singular truth, or somehow so meta and next level, well I'm sorry but you are just so unfortunately wrong. this is the last time I will say this, if you have any legitimate doubt you are more than welcome, as ever nothing reasonble is set in stone, it's just that there are bound to be more and more manchilds in all walks of existence who are confused which direction history should go; otherwise do not try to paint me in any negative light just because high chance there's nothing better to say about the topic because unfortunately whenever I speak I speak volume greater than 1000 and the more hiveminded people get the less compromising they should expect me to be, as, if it is to be, I alone hold the balance of justice against all the fakeness and ugliness. After all the resident trolling and unabashed ignorance done by wayward stranders high and low, I'm still here.

ps: ForTheLastTime, is it worse to say a game that is at least interesting to play for the average pubber, that which never prolly should have been turned into esport, is an afterthought as an esport ; or worse for a game to be absolutely zero fun to play or watch but is "certified legit esports" aka have tons of cashflow and investor interest (or is it money laundering/ponzi scheme, I cannot tell the difference) ? I take no credit in the way the latter is described or frowned upon by most people with a conscience.
I notice you keep trying to somewhat disregard quake as one of the most skilled games around. You are doing it literally every post.

But this is not a forum for that Kind of debates. Let me Just tell you that counterstrike came from quake.. it was a mod ;)

This is irrelevant anyway,. Quake players are not the only ones going back to TNs or 240hz monitors. Even shroud went back to his 240hz lol
not literally every post by far, please. I already said on twitter it is the most skilled in flicking when I am the player, AT 150 PING because deal with a dead game's ccu since 2017, shrugface. And that means your average casual tdm, dm, unholy trinity, comparatively(?) devoid of attitude (btw I casually curbrolled someone like ranked 50 or something 2 seasons ago. that is, thy holy precious 1v1 duel leaderboard. Mind you these people have easily 10s of 100s X of my hours clocked in the quake ip. If any of the "pros" are too good for casual and actually can curbstomp me, well that's their loss they don't ever arrive to prove their worth. I've constantly get people calling bs on the most basic thing I do and they think it's because I am high ping or whatever other game mechanics bs not for this post, yet it's the same deal whether on 50/150/300 ping and this ain't even getting into how low ping also obviously always had first advantage to begin with) . Otherwise the game has zero core value. Because the devs, what few left, were and still are too stuck up/ignorant to make a BR (solo FFA elim no respawn with open world, preset team modes are for casuls, hence pubg esport is joke), or delete all modes but the ctf and strategic stuff. I mean, even OW still holds a yearly ranked DM, on top of exclusively updating DM only maps--for a game that main other none DM modes, meaning they KNOW that solo DM is a lot more fun for what's left of the players to just casually glean at--, but no, for quake, FFA is too casual, CTF, sacrifice, what is that? no, everything is beneath 1v1 duels forever and ever, because reasons. And therefore, because reasons, I don't take QC seriously as I never did for 5 years.

You are quoting me when you shoulda noticed I stopped quoting you for obvious reasons. Should have just left it like that m8. And as it is further proven, there's very likely nothing you know or bother to lecture me about, that I don't already know like 20 years ago. Moreover, I never wanted to repeat but it would hurt more to say quake, cs, cod, etc crowds have the sort of adhd "shoot on sight" "shoot to kill" "gaming is just venting" mentality hard wired into their psyche it's almost hopeless to rid it. The so called "tactical" aspects is a nice way of self glorifying or sugar coating that it doesn't actually take more than grade school consciousness to functionally "compete" in said games. So please go back to actually read the things you quote but ignored, meant for clearly not just you alone but everyone that, as I already said "very likely would take issue with", or shrug off/downplay/pretend you can't fathom, well it's the same thing. tyvm.

Shroud is a Logitech G diehard, like most post 2015 relevant gamers. Find me another person except me that has over the past year 100.000% officially carbon print decreed all Logitech mice/1khz mice aside from maybe Prime+, worthless. You don't use 8khz, you literally don't need 300hz+, this has been conveyed so many times for the last year, but feel free to further read and discuss on that other thread

Find me also another person that has effectively stopped bothering to downplay 5 full years+ old 3389 when people are still debating about, oh, what is it, essentially 6 if not 7 years old 3360's relevance, just so they can smokescreen all the brands still selling 3389, all of which basically chanting something like "sensors have all been flawless since 201X you can't go wrong with XYZ they are basically all good there need not be further development there need not be more :sensor race tax:>, all while buying like 50 of the same fk/ec clone with the same 3389 to sit on a dozen Hien, a product released in pre 2010, to collect dust. For what? Easy and basic commerce of tools and toys made for plentiful generic games, on a regurgitated and tired out industry inclined to collapsing on itself.
Oh but I understand what you are saying, don't worry. Mate, I was less than 10y old and already overclocking CRTs in that time. My friends called me weirdo because I always said 60hz was not enough for gaming, even on consoles/TVs. It always seemed atrocious to my eles. This is the main reason why I used interpolation for years on consoles and tried to play PC as much as I could. When the first LCD 120hz monitors appeared, like the Samsung 16:10 or LG w2363d I imediatly jumped in

While everyone on the Internet would say "ahah you dont need 120hz". Só I get your idea

Now trust me, I do want 360hz badly, and I do think viper 8khz is technically the best mouse and YES, we can easily notice how it is MUCH smoother.

I Just dont use 360hz yet because imo the panels are not good right now and made me play worse or think too much about ghosting, wich afects my fun. And I dont use a viper 8khz yet because the shape is not good for me. I use a viper mini for fast paced and a coolermaster mm720 for AAA left to right aim games (cod, bf etc)

Trust me, when the 360hz TN panels appear (soon), and when razer decides to make other shapes with 8000hz polling rate, I will immediatly jump on it! And you Will see me here debating it

There are some rules clear to me on pcgaming:

- higher refresh rate is always better
- higher mouse polling rate is better (and Will be ESSENTIAL with 480hz monitors)
- higher PPI is always more appealing
- wireless mice are not ideal

I dont care about what others say, as for almost 2 decades all I heard was "60fps is plenty"

mxblue

Post by mxblue » 07 Nov 2021, 12:14

Notty_PT wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 10:40
lyrill wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 02:32
Notty_PT wrote:
lyrill wrote:

Oh but I understand what you are saying, don't worry. Mate, I was less than 10y old and already overclocking CRTs in that time. My friends called me weirdo because I always said 60hz was not enough for gaming, even on consoles/TVs. It always seemed atrocious to my eles. This is the main reason why I used interpolation for years on consoles and tried to play PC as much as I could. When the first LCD 120hz monitors appeared, like the Samsung 16:10 or LG w2363d I imediatly jumped in

While everyone on the Internet would say "ahah you dont need 120hz". Só I get your idea

Now trust me, I do want 360hz badly, and I do think viper 8khz is technically the best mouse and YES, we can easily notice how it is MUCH smoother.

I Just dont use 360hz yet because imo the panels are not good right now and made me play worse or think too much about ghosting, wich afects my fun. And I dont use a viper 8khz yet because the shape is not good for me. I use a viper mini for fast paced and a coolermaster mm720 for AAA left to right aim games (cod, bf etc)

Trust me, when the 360hz TN panels appear (soon), and when razer decides to make other shapes with 8000hz polling rate, I will immediatly jump on it! And you Will see me here debating it

There are some rules clear to me on pcgaming:

- higher refresh rate is always better
- higher mouse polling rate is better (and Will be ESSENTIAL with 480hz monitors)
- higher PPI is always more appealing
- wireless mice are not ideal

I dont care about what others say, as for almost 2 decades all I heard was "60fps is plenty"
You tried this monitor at 390hz with BFI and you still think 240hz is better…? Seems like a stretch. Some actual evidence would be great