Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nolikeee

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by nolikeee » 14 Sep 2021, 16:08

Hello guys i got some problem with VRB always drop to disable, i need to always turning on this. 5 times in a day... how to fix it? any ideas?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Sep 2021, 17:16

nolikeee wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:08
Hello guys i got some problem with VRB always drop to disable, i need to always turning on this. 5 times in a day... how to fix it? any ideas?
There is a firmware bug if this keeps turning off -- please contact Acer to report this issue. They may be able to give you a firmware update if it's a known issue & if model supports field firmware update by end user.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anderstj

Post by Anderstj » 15 Sep 2021, 16:50

Hello i just got this monitor today, and for some reason i cant enable 390hz when i have a 2nd monitor plugged in (HDMI), does any1 know why or has a fix?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Sep 2021, 14:05

Anderstj wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:50
Hello i just got this monitor today, and for some reason i cant enable 390hz when i have a 2nd monitor plugged in (HDMI), does any1 know why or has a fix?
1. This is very GPU dependant.

2. How are you measuring the refresh rate? Via Control Panel or via TestUFO?

Many games and TestUFO has problems when more than 2 monitors are connected.

To prevent refresh rate interference, make sure:
1. The 390 Hz is primary monitor
2. Control Panel says 390 Hz
3. Your game is exclusive full screen on primary, not borderless
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anderstj

Post by Anderstj » 16 Sep 2021, 14:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 14:05
Anderstj wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:50
1. This is very GPU dependant.

2. How are you measuring the refresh rate? Via Control Panel or via TestUFO?

Many games and TestUFO has problems when more than 2 monitors are connected.

To prevent refresh rate interference, make sure:
1. The 390 Hz is primary monitor
2. Control Panel says 390 Hz
3. Your game is exclusive full screen on primary, not borderless
Thanks for the reply!

When i plug in my 2nd monitor the 390hz option disappears from control panel in windows, and the highest one available is 360hz. I can't find any1 with similar problem after googling it for a few hours. im lost what to do.

olofsson_tom

Post by olofsson_tom » 16 Sep 2021, 17:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:16
nolikeee wrote:
There is a firmware bug if this keeps turning off -- please contact Acer to report this issue. They may be able to give you a firmware update if it's a known issue & if model supports field firmware update by end user.
I have the monitor and i have to re-enable after every restart and i have notified acer about this. Would be good if as many as possible contact them though, might be fixed faster :)

umea

Post by umea » 16 Sep 2021, 18:09

Any chance we'll get a way to adjust strobing like with BenQ monitors? Has anyone tested large vertical total trick with 300hz?

nolikeee

Post by nolikeee » 17 Sep 2021, 00:52

olofsson_tom wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 17:35
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:16
nolikeee wrote:
I have the monitor and i have to re-enable after every restart and i have notified acer about this. Would be good if as many as possible contact them though, might be fixed faster :)
im open ticket via Acer web site. They answer me update new driver from 03/02 :D

valgar

Post by valgar » 17 Sep 2021, 18:49

Hello everyone, I'm quite new as I discovered this wonderful community only recently, while searching for the "best" gaming monitor, so please forgive my english and any technical mistakes :D

I've received my XV252QF from Amazon yesterday, sadly it has a bad flickering problem, the same shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPn5avXjSoY

The problem presents itself only @390Hz with overclock active. It goes away as soon as I switch to 360Hz or less.
The flickering starts instantly if I am already in a game (ie BlackOps, Warzone) and switch to 390Hz from a lesser refresh rate.
When in Windows or web browsing it can take more time to build up, usually not more than 1-2 minutes, while it happens faster if I open a game or, for example, this test: https://www.testufo.com/framerates-versus

I've tried every possible OSD setting combo (OD, VRB, Freesync, etc.), I've reinstalled video card drivers (I have a Radeon RX 5700 XT), tried the monitor on other PCs and tried 3 different DP 1.4 (8k@60Hz) cables.

On a side note, I care mostly for speed and low blur in a gaming monitor, and the XV252QF feels buttery smooth, and I'd be really happy for the purchase if not for this issue.
I'm not an expert by any means, but so far I think the XV252QF is on par or slightly better than the AW2521H (which I returned because I couldn't use ULMB or FreeSync with it as I have an AMD card) and definitely better than the VG259QM that I've recently been able to try.

I just wanted to be sure that I have a defective unit before returning it, but maybe it's a known bug and someone can help me find a solution, thanks!

lablaka

Post by lablaka » 17 Sep 2021, 22:33

valgar wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 18:49

I've received my XV252QF from Amazon yesterday, sadly it has a bad flickering problem, the same shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPn5avXjSoY

The problem presents itself only @390Hz with overclock active. It goes away as soon as I switch to 360Hz or less.
I've had my XV252QF for about a week and can confirm this issue. It appears to be an issue of the GPU really not enjoying 390 Hz. After reading what others wrote, I've decided to test it without any other monitors attached and suddenly 390 Hz "works". The catch is that my RTX 3090 Founders Edition really, really struggles with it. Suddenly I ran into GPU driver crashes and degraded performance. Everything is fine up to 360 Hz, but with 390 Hz it starts crashing and losing performance. No idea how that makes any sense and how a monitor's increased refresh rate could make a GPU go crazy, but it's reproducible for me.

There are also a few more firmware issues, like the already mentioned problem of VRB turning off with every restart (or sometimes randomly) and I've discovered that most of the controls for vibrancy boost etc. don't do anything while using VRB. You can clearly tell that they are working when used without VRB, but as soon as VRB is on, it's over. The black equalizer is still working, though.

There are also many other settings affecting each other and randomly resetting shit you've set in a different menu. It's kind of annoying to dial colors etc. in because of it, but it's not a dealbreaker. You just have to do them in a different order and suddenly it does what it's supposed to do.

If they can release a firmware update that fixes all the weird little bugs and inconsistencies, this monitor is going to be great for the price point. Even now it's really good, it's just... annoying and buggy. Maybe other owners could say which GPU they are using and if they are experiencing any odd issues when using 390 Hz.