Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lyrill

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by lyrill » 17 Oct 2021, 15:20

OK so a few guys keep pushing it so please enlighten us all in good ol forum manner, what is their spiel, are they actually the go to no.1 source? what about other sources? surely there can't be a monopoly on this? doesn't Chief and company also do monitor reviews or doesn't want to get involved with generic review portals cus like they don't have an objective tool site and a relatively cool/grownup forum? Did he review this already? Saw some Chief replies but no opinions? I'm just also very interested in making equally sure to push out the "preach all the time" label (attempts) and evening it out, and nobody seems to question these. I know it's not my expertise nor is basically this entire site's major chunk but I'm politely trying to get involved more. Doesn't mean I'm gonna go on a shopping spree any time soon still, but you know, that's why sites like Rtings exist..?

Bloods

Post by Bloods » 17 Oct 2021, 17:09

lyrill wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 15:20
are they actually the go to no.1
People like Rtings because of the detailed response time measurements they make that I haven't seen any other reviewer go into, specifically the Rise / Fall measurement and if it can go as low as 2.77ms without having any overshoot.. However much this translates into real life noticeable improvements in game is up for debate.
Acer Nitro XV252QF (390HZ) VRB Off, Overdrive: Normal/Extreme) Max Brightness ON.
Asus VG248QE (144HZ)

Salemthecaz

Post by Salemthecaz » 17 Oct 2021, 19:06

The advantage VRB (blacklight strobing) +390hz this monitor gives me is no joke one of the best experiences I’ve ever had everytime I upgrade hardwares!!

Not even joking I’ve been getting so many First-Placed in Deathmatch Valorant that I couldn’t do before with my 165hz dell s3220dgf( 1 out of 5 times, if not 1st then usually top 3 4)

Just turn it on man, it definitely gives you a huge edge over the opponents!!!

I run a 3080 with 5900x, getting around 400+ fps in Deathmatch and 450+ In ranked! Medium Graphics setting tho, but still worth the extra frames I got

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 17 Oct 2021, 20:17

Bloods wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 17:09
lyrill wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 15:20
are they actually the go to no.1
haven't seen any other reviewer go into, specifically the Rise / Fall measurement and if it can go as low as 2.77ms without having any overshoot
thanks chief, I mean bro.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 17 Oct 2021, 20:21

Salemthecaz wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 19:06
The advantage VRB (blacklight strobing) +390hz this monitor gives me is no joke one of the best experiences I’ve ever had everytime I upgrade hardwares!!

First-Placed in Deathmatch

run a 3080 with 5900x, getting around 400+ fps

there's a dm in val? lol i might actually download the game finally on my current pc. still not sure about all the kernel spyware train that cod is apparently just in on as well tho

i'm wondering when's the next gen worth upgrading to. 5080 i hope, I don't see a next big game before that.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 18 Oct 2021, 11:50

I can win most DM matches on Valorant even at 120hz 3ms Panel... even if I can always lose on the other game modes (wich need other skills different from aiming)

That game, just like CS GO, is a standing aim simulator, as I call them, as you get morre accuracy if you stand still while firing... boring, not difficult at all. Plus you are pre aiming/lining up your crosshair anyway on doorways etc, and after that is all about reaction time

The skill on those type of games is not on the aiming side of things, is on team comms, positioning and experience on the competitive game mode (wich is not DM ofc)

I would say judging a monitor from Valorant DM is.... weird. I respect it, but I wouldn´t personally do it
Last edited by Notty_PT on 18 Oct 2021, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 18 Oct 2021, 11:58

Discorz wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 12:20
Yup, go vote!
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

I voted already, altho I know more or less how the results will unfold. It will have similar response time to the other 360hz monitors they reviewd, 1ms more or 1ms less, wich will still be slow for 360hz operation (nvm 390hz). The input lag will be similar to Asus model, wich is similar to the best 240hz models (Weird, I know, just to show these 360hz panels are not matured enough)

So it will be good to have more detailed technical info about the model itself, but nothing groundbreaking

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 18 Oct 2021, 12:35

Notty_PT wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 11:50
I can win most DM matches on Valorant even at 120hz 3ms Panel... even if I can always lose on the other game modes (wich need other skills different from aiming)

That game, just like CS GO, is a standing aim simulator, as I call them, as you get morre accuracy if you stand still while firing... boring, not difficult at all. Plus you are pre aiming/lining up your crosshair anyway on doorways etc, and after that is all about reaction time

The skill on those type of games is not on the aiming side of things, is on team comms, positioning and experience on the competitive game mode (wich is not DM ofc)

I would say judging a monitor from Valorant DM is.... weird. I respect it, but I wouldn´t personally do it
you are not wrong, but esport IS a mind game first and foremost. hand eye coordination is bottom tier on the hierachy. mind games are prevalent in all sports, but you can safely say they are not top tier on the more physical ones. that's why I don't like sports, or that mentality, because it's what you are born to be more, less what you aspire to be.--it's not progressive, and less (if even at all) fair and humane. As we are not all fully cyborg or ai yet, let's cherish for now, let's keep that mouse and kb funkiness, let's keep that blood vessel flowing, but let's rise above the primordial instinct already, it's been 5 thousand years.

michaelcycle00

Post by michaelcycle00 » 18 Oct 2021, 18:58

Notty_PT wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 11:58
Discorz wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 12:20
Yup, go vote!
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

I voted already, altho I know more or less how the results will unfold. It will have similar response time to the other 360hz monitors they reviewd, 1ms more or 1ms less, wich will still be slow for 360hz operation (nvm 390hz). The input lag will be similar to Asus model, wich is similar to the best 240hz models (Weird, I know, just to show these 360hz panels are not matured enough)

So it will be good to have more detailed technical info about the model itself, but nothing groundbreaking
Where did you get this “response times are slow for 360-390hz because they’re comparable to the best 240hz”? According to your #1 source for reviews the Alienware 360hz response times and input lag are excellent and they make no mention of it “not being good enough because response times are comparable to the best 240hz panels”. What exactly are we losing here? Input lag is still a bit better on this Acer than any matured 240hz and we’re still seeing an extra 150 frames per second. On top of that we got VRB which adds about 0.8ms of latency overall which is still lower than a 240hz and cheats its “not perfect response times” way through it. So once again, what are we losing here over a matured 240hz? I notice you just point out whatever you like and not even acknowledge other people giving valid points in here.

mkdp

Post by mkdp » 19 Oct 2021, 12:05

Been using this monitor for a couple of weeks now. My eyes are slowly getting used to IPS colors after using TN panel for 10 years :D Was pretty blinding at first. I've been playing mainly CS:GO with Overdrive = Normal, 360hz (imo it is a bit more clear than 390Hz), VRB mainly Off as it tends to hurts my eyes a bit and I do not notice much of an difference (+ read below).

I have one issue which I wanted to ask about VRB. I am using brightness at 90% (Max brightness = Off). When I turn VRB to Normal the screen brightness goes really high. When I check the brightness level it is still the same 90% as before, but when I try to increase it or decrease it then VRB goes Off automatically. When I turn VRB to Extreme the screen brightness does not change but it goes Off when I try to change the brightness.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Anyways been really enjoying this monitor. My old 120Hz BenQ XL2420T does not feel too good after this :D