Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
DPRTMELR

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by DPRTMELR » 12 Jul 2022, 02:07

axaro1 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 01:52
DPRTMELR wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:39
I don't get your post completely. So you are saying monitor freesync on nvcp off is better right?
It depends.

If you were using Freesync OFF and OD Extreme at 390hz then this tweak is good to reduce overshoot.
OD Normal performs slightly worse with Freesync so unless you want to use VRR keep Freesync OFF.
cool got it. I will keep on it for a week or two and see if i can adjust.
This trick also reduces 240hz overshoot (because OD Normal with Freesync ON scales with slightly slower response times in the entire refresh rate range)

Maybe I am a savage but one of the game I play sometimes is hardlocked at 300fps and 390 normal looked "okay" lol.
DPRTMELR wrote:
at least the crosshair is looking normal like when I was on OD normal.
I don't know how you are managing to see motion artifacts with what I assume is a stationary crosshair.
I have no idea either when everybody else are just dandy with their od/vrb extreme combo like they are kings.
With freesync off vrb off od extreme, I could see the bottom and top crosshairs bleeding to their sides somehow when things are in motion. It's more pronouced on red thicker crosshair with outlines but you could see them on thins without outlines. I am on aopen model if it makes any difference.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 12 Jul 2022, 05:11

DPRTMELR wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 02:07
I also just noticed that RTings updated the XV252QF with 1.2 testing methodology and added Freesync response times:

390hz Freesync ON [OD Normal]

390hz OD Normal Freesync OFF

Source: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... q-fbmiiprx
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 13 Jul 2022, 01:56

the "trick" doesn't work.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 13 Jul 2022, 01:57

DPRTMELR wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 02:07
axaro1 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 01:52
DPRTMELR wrote:
I don't get your post completely. So you are saying monitor freesync on nvcp off is better right?
It depends.

If you were using Freesync OFF and OD Extreme at 390hz then this tweak is good to reduce overshoot.
OD Normal performs slightly worse with Freesync so unless you want to use VRR keep Freesync OFF.
cool got it. I will keep on it for a week or two and see if i can adjust.
This trick also reduces 240hz overshoot (because OD Normal with Freesync ON scales with slightly slower response times in the entire refresh rate range)

Maybe I am a savage but one of the game I play sometimes is hardlocked at 300fps and 390 normal looked "okay" lol.
DPRTMELR wrote:
at least the crosshair is looking normal like when I was on OD normal.
I don't know how you are managing to see motion artifacts with what I assume is a stationary crosshair.
I have no idea either when everybody else are just dandy with their od/vrb extreme combo like they are kings.
With freesync off vrb off od extreme, I could see the bottom and top crosshairs bleeding to their sides somehow when things are in motion. It's more pronouced on red thicker crosshair with outlines but you could see them on thins without outlines. I am on aopen model if it makes any difference.

who has said that? I feel like you are projecting what doesn't exist. u don't need to tweak this thing it's as simple as using apple.

"vrb off"?

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 13 Jul 2022, 02:04

ok nvm forgot to use fastkey, yea i already binded it to that previously but the past 1.5 years before that nver bothered as I didn't find any need to use any features and the features that I did need to constantly use which is what you call "king setting" can't be bundled into one key which would have otherwise save a lot of time since I don't adjust them individually anyways, and I leave the other one as "mode" default for switching hdr. (i think I already previously mentioned not being able to save od and vrb settings into the whole "custom mode" sections or "modes")

I think I also commented how I had to switch to 50% blue then dial down the luminence accordingly depending on content and light conditions.. would have loved a one stop key for that too....

otherwise ye it seems to work automatically without any extensive "load time". now to see if it actually improves ufo quality on a fresh tab..

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 13 Jul 2022, 02:12

so i tested this and I'm not sure there's any actual difference?

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 13 Jul 2022, 08:46

lyrill wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 02:12
erm the darnest thing is happening to me. OD extreme used to bug the hell out me just until over the weekends but it's not anymore even wth freesync off atm. wut. I will requote this in a couple of days

CYCLOPSAG

Post by CYCLOPSAG » 13 Jul 2022, 08:56

I was chatting with someone who is the owner of both the Acer 390hz XV252Q and ASUS 1440p 240hz PG279QM considering I was interested to know which one is better.

It may seem like you're comparing apples to oranges, but both monitors can be used in esports titles like Rainbow Six Siege.

The conclusion from the conversation was that he found the ACER XF252Q to be more responsive; specifically when it comes to latency.

This conclusion may or may not be true considering the ASUS is 1440p which may introduce high latency compared to the 1080p ACER. I really tried to argue this with him because the resolution should not matter in terms of latency. However, he was firm in that the latency was noticeable between the two monitors in-game (and not just test results)

Here's the full convo:

ME hey bro i got some questions about your acer 390hz and ASUS 1440p 240hz

HIM Ask away

ME
1. do you play fps games like Valorant csgo R6 etc?
2. how do you feel the sharpness of the asus (the 1440p quality) in comparison to 1080p? does the 1440p quality actually make any difference in fps games? i know it looks nice and whatever, but how does it translate in competitive games?
3. between the two, which one would you keep to play fps games? and most importantly why?

HIM
1. Yes. Valorant and CSGO (but from time to time). I more so play PUBG and APEX.

2. I definitely notice the difference if I go back to the 1080p after playing on the 1440p monitor for a while. It’s definitely sharper, but not by a crazy amount. I could go back to the 1080p monitor and definitely notice the slight loss in sharpness, but after a week or so I would’ve forgotten all about it. The 1440p sharpness definitely allows you to spot things better at a far distance. Useful for games like PUBG and APEX. Not so much Valorant or CSGO since maps are tiny in comparison.

3. If I could only choose one for FPS games and nothing else, I’d 100% choose the Acer 390Hz. Even though I won’t ever reach 390fps in PUBG or APEX, the slight smoothness and responsiveness increase definitely makes me feel a bit more locked in and confident when engaging in fights. It’s subtle, but it makes some difference for me.

ME;
so, are you saying you would pick the smoothness of the 390hz over the sharp 1440p quality? why is that? im contemplating to choose between the two monitors because they each excel in different areas

HIM
If in a hypothetical world where I would only use the monitor for FPS games (and not limited to just PUBG and APEX), yes I’d choose the Acer 390Hz.

As in why, it’s difficult to explain. After about 3 months into owning the Acer 390Hz, I decided to purchase the Asus PG279QM.

I previously owned the Asus XG27AQM but sold it to purchase the Acer 390Hz and some IEMs. I eventually wanted a 1440p 240Hz monitor again, which is why I purchased the Asus PG279QM.

Once I removed the Acer 390Hz from my setup and installed the PG279QM, I noticed the clarity improvement, but also noticed that in-game there was some additional latency. Gameplay just felt more locked in and tight on the Acer.

ME
additional latency? did u mean worse smoothness? because if you did mean latency, the ASUS actually has better latency if u check the comparisons here https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/co ... shold=0.10

HIM
I've looked at these values already. Even though they're accurate for the testing they did, it doesn't take into account subjective testing.
Also, I don't 100% trust Rtings.
I just use them as a source, not the end all be all.
Image https://imgur.com/LYSDUXf
Pixel response times.
HU: 4.09ms vs RTings: 7.0ms

ME
whatever number is right for ASUS latency, its still very hard to notice in-game. Most IPS these days have around the same latency. The difference is negligible. However, I would be interested to know what things you notice with the additional latency of the ASUS?

HIM
Perceived responsiveness.
It just feels more responsive. Can I prove it? No. Is that my experience using both monitors? Yes.

ME;
i think thats more to do with ur PC doesnt run your game at full fps capacity. Running 1440p is harder than 1080p

HIM
I cap all of my games at 240fps and they're locked at 240fps majority of the time.
Resolution difference doesn't matter in my case.

ME
did u play at 240fps at both 1080p and 1440p?

HIM
Yes. I have my stats overlay enabled 100% of the time.
Well I cap my fps to 235 because I use GSync. But 235 vs 240, same thing haha

ME
was ur gpu near 95% or above utilization when gaming in 1440p?

HIM
Not always. I play BR's and they're odd in regard to GPU utilization and fps.
Sometimes I've have 75% Utilization and get 230-235fps locked and other times I'll get 90%+ Utilization and get the same fps.
At 1440p that is.
Similar scenarios would happen at 1080p too.
https://imgur.com/ngSRsgo
The Acer actually has better latency.

ME
that 1ms difference is not noticeable by an actual human lol . as i explained earlier most IPS monitors these days have around the same latency

HIM
Whether I notice it or not, the Acer feels more responsive to me lol
I don't know what answer you're trying to hear.

ME
by responsive, are you still referring to the latency? or the refresh hertz?

HIM
I'm just referring to how the games feel. I'll play Rocket League with either monitor at their max refresh rate and resolution. The fps will be locked to 235fps 99.9% of the time. The Acer will still feel more responsive.
Take that for what you will lol

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 17 Jul 2022, 20:00

DPRTMELR wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 08:46
lyrill wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 02:12
erm the darnest thing is happening to me. OD extreme used to bug the hell out me just until over the weekends but it's not anymore even wth freesync off atm. wut. I will requote this in a couple of days
I've been thinking I had electrical problems or simply I had a dud but I never bothered to return it because I never had good lucks with
OD extreme on my previous monitors either, so I figured it's some marketing (xxxXXXtremeeeee).

So I still can't use OD extreme by itself because of random flickers on a wall surprising me but OD extreme freesync on nvcp off is super clear so that's cool

But I am back to the od normal freesync off for the time being because I am upset that i've been playing worse for the past week. Maybe I've been living with blurs for too long =\

TakenZ

Post by TakenZ » 22 Jul 2022, 00:35

So just to make sure I understand what I’ve read so far…

Since I’m going to be enabling the 390 HZ Overclock, I should put Overdrive to Extreme, TVR to Extreme, and then put FreeSync ON (with the hotkey trick mentioned previously). G-Sync should be disabled, as TVR and G-Sync cannot be enabled at the same time? I tried it and got a lot of flickering, so I’m assuming that’s the case.

You all would recommend no G-Sync over G-Sync for this monitor, right? Especially in games like Valorant and OW, where I can push to close to 400 FPS.

Only game I’m thinking of where I might want G-Sync is Warzone, but would OD Extreme, TVR Extreme, and Freesync ON still be better due to the backlight strobing?