Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Nov 2022, 19:51

SheerFinesse wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 16:26
VRR will add so much input delay right?
Partial myth.

VRR has very little lag penalty if your VRR range is bigger than framerate range.

The lag complaints of VRR is mainly because of framerate ranges bigger than VRR ranges. Like 300fps CS:GO on 240Hz VRR. But here, we're talking about 390 Hz.

When we're talking about this Acer 390 Hz monitor, your framerate ranges usually are inside the VRR range. The lag penalty virtually disappears. And G-SYNC becomes esports quality.
SheerFinesse wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 16:26
I want the best input delay and performance to give me the biggest advantage possible
Do you prefer best absolute latency or lowest latency-variability? Sometimes those are diametrically opposing.

Sometimes de-stuttering or de-blurring decreases human reaction time bigger than the approximate lag penalty (0.5/390sec = barely over 1ms lag penalty for either strobing technology or VRR technology).

Remember, the latency chain includes the HUMAN.... and the HUMAN has a reaction time latency that can be slowed down by extra display motion blur (fixed by strobing), or by extra stutters (fixed by VRR). Never make the mistake of forgetting about the HUMAN!

Especially in games without crosshairs -- Rocket League, DOTA2, etc. -- then eye-tracking-based motion blur (www.testufo.com/eyetracking) can be a significant slowdown in human reaction time for certain gaming tactics.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SheerFinesse

Post by SheerFinesse » 01 Nov 2022, 20:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 19:51
So you’re suggesting I enable VRR on 390hz and then cap my in game fps to 240?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Nov 2022, 20:21

SheerFinesse wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 20:15
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Not necessarily -- you want uncapped framerates completely inside your VRR range.

That luxury happens only if you've purchased one of these ultra-high-Hz monitors like 390 Hz or 500 Hz.

Capping is a band-aid because people purchased a lower-Hz G-SYNC monitor. But people in this thread has 390 Hz, so capping is only needed if you wanted to prevent GPU/CPU pegged at 100%. The beauty of organic native frame rates breathing completely inside VRR range, is the magic piece of puzzle that turns VRR Into something esports-quality.

Not everyone will like VRR, but you can try it.

It is worth considerting if you already have an ultra high Hz monitor, and your game is capable of uncapped framerates that fluctuates only completely inside VRR range.

The famous VRR capping advice is because it switches to "VSYNC ON" (laggier) if framerates try toexceed VRR range. But if your framerates never exceed VRR range, you don't have a capping problem.

Your competitors can't use VRR as laglessly as you can, because they have to cap to a lower frame rate to avoid a worse lag. But 390 Hz monitor users in this thread don't have this "framerates exiting VRR range" lag problem.

If you want to cap at 200 or 240 or 300 or 350fps, that can be beneficial depending on the game -- e.g. games that fluctuates too much in frame rates. Cap what you'd normally cap with VSYNC OFF. If you were capping 200 at VSYNC OFF, then continue to cap 200 with G-SYNC.

In a situation where uncapped framerates fluctuate completely inside VRR range, just use whatever cap you were using before, for the purpose of better gamefeel under VSYNC OFF -- e.g. a game engine that feels better at specific frame rates under any sync technology.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SheerFinesse

Post by SheerFinesse » 02 Nov 2022, 00:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 20:21
SheerFinesse wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Not necessarily -- you want uncapped framerates completely inside your VRR range.

That luxury happens only if you've purchased one of these ultra-high-Hz monitors like 390 Hz or 500 Hz.

Capping is a band-aid because people purchased a lower-Hz G-SYNC monitor. But people in this thread has 390 Hz, so capping is only needed if you wanted to prevent GPU/CPU pegged at 100%. The beauty of organic native frame rates breathing completely inside VRR range, is the magic piece of puzzle that turns VRR Into something esports-quality.

It is worth considerting if you already have an ultra high Hz monitor, and your game is capable of uncapped framerates that fluctuates only completely inside VRR range.

The famous VRR capping advice is because it switches to "VSYNC ON" (laggier) if framerates try toexceed VRR range. But if your framerates never exceed VRR range, you don't have a capping problem.

Your competitors can't use VRR as laglessly as you can, because they have to cap to a lower frame rate to avoid a worse lag. But 390 Hz monitor users in this thread don't have this "framerates exiting VRR range" lag problem.

If you want to cap at 200 or 240 or 300 or 350fps, that can be beneficial depending on the game -- e.g. games that fluctuates too much in frame rates. Cap what you'd normally cap with VSYNC OFF. If you were capping 200 at VSYNC OFF, then continue to cap 200 with G-SYNC.

In a situation where uncapped framerates fluctuate completely inside VRR range, just use whatever cap you were using before, for the purpose of better gamefeel under VSYNC OFF -- e.g. a game engine that feels better at specific frame rates under any sync technology.
What do you mean by my range?

I don’t like to cap at any higher than 240fps, but when I uncap my fps it ranges from like 150-800. I’m able to custom cap it at any number but I don’t believe I can set a range.

Should I just uncap it with VRR enabled?

Also you mention vsync. Vsync is terrible because it worsens your frames and will add input delay. Not one competitive Fortnite player uses vsync.

To me, vrr seems like it will make me inconsistent and add some input delay. But I am willing to try it.

Playing at 390hz while capped at a steady 240fps is how I’ve been playing for months, but I started thinking maybe 240hz would make me better? And maybe I should even try to strobe at 240hz?

Or maybe I should go back to a 240hz monitor that I still have? I’m not sure what monitor settings I should for competitive Fortnite

SheerFinesse

Post by SheerFinesse » 02 Nov 2022, 00:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 20:21
SheerFinesse wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Or did you mean range by not exceeding 390 fps?

I can enable VRR and cap at 390 fps although obviously my fps will occasionally drop

SheerFinesse

Post by SheerFinesse » 02 Nov 2022, 01:45

Also free sync only works with AMD gpus? Because I have a nvidia Rtx card

SheerFinesse

Post by SheerFinesse » 02 Nov 2022, 05:03

Update: I now have my frames custom capped at 390 within Fortnite. My frames vary and do not always maintain 390fps. I think VRR adds some input delay, but it removes stutters? I can’t decide if I’m better with VRR on or off. Maybe it’s even better just to keep VRR off and cap my frames at 240?

I tried lowering my hz to 240 as well but think 390 really makes a difference with input delay

Haste

Post by Haste » 02 Nov 2022, 09:59

Try a middle ground maybe like a cap at 300fps with VRR?

When using VRR, you should not cap at max refresh rate, you should keep a margin.

What to keep in mind:

- VRR by itself doesn't add any perceptible input lag.
But you have to make sure you are in the gsync range. That means under 390 + a safety margin because frame limiters aren't perfectly stable. Let's settle with 360 to be extra safe.

- Letting the GPU gets maximally utilized can increase input lag. A frame rate cap can prevent that.

- Frame rate limiters vary in how stable they are and how much input lag they add. So choose them wisely.

- Not using VRR is putting yourself into a situation where your only choices are:
high input lag (vsync on)
OR
constant micro stuttering (vsync on + fps cap)
OR
tearing and wobbly motion (vsync off)
OR
uneven juddery motion (true triple buffering/fast sync)

=> I recommend using VRR, it allows you to have none of these issues at all. It's amazing.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Nov 2022, 10:20

SheerFinesse wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 05:03
Update: I now have my frames custom capped at 390 within Fortnite. My frames vary and do not always maintain 390fps. I think VRR adds some input delay, but it removes stutters? I can’t decide if I’m better with VRR on or off. Maybe it’s even better just to keep VRR off and cap my frames at 240?

I tried lowering my hz to 240 as well but think 390 really makes a difference with input delay
Your initial setup was a 240FPS cap at 390Hz, right? That's a best-case scenario for VRR. If you enable gsync in that setup, you won't get any latency increase and your latency variance will be small (because the game won't be jumping from 240 to 390 and then back again.)

As a rule of thumb, if you want to achieve a small latency variance, what you do is find at what FPS your game is able to run the majority of the time and cap to that using the game's built-in FPS limiter. If the FPS limit is lower than the max Hz of your display, then you can also enable gsync for free (meaning you won't get a lag penalty for doing it.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kameCS

Post by kameCS » 03 Nov 2022, 10:28

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/14
"Low Latency Mode* Settings:

If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is not available, RTSS is prohibited from running, a manual framerate limit is not required, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
Set “Low Latency Mode” to “Ultra” in the Nvidia Control Panel. When combined with G-SYNC + V-SYNC, this setting will automatically limit the framerate (in supported games) to ~59 FPS @60Hz, ~97 FPS @100Hz, ~116 FPS @120Hz, ~138 FPS @144Hz, ~224 FPS @240Hz, etc."
Last edited by kameCS on 17 Dec 2022, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
current: PG27AQN 360Hz
before: AW2524HF | PG248QP | AW2523HF | PG27AQDM | XL2566K | XV252QF | XG27AQM | VG259QM | 34GL750