Freesync's static overdrive - will I notice the difference?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
stimulantz

Freesync's static overdrive - will I notice the difference?

Post by stimulantz » 06 May 2021, 21:40

Apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten half to death.

I'm in the market for a 24" 240hz 1080p monitor and have identified the VG259QM as a likely candidate (good for both productivity & gaming).

Freesync's static overdrive setting has me a bit worried, though. I play games like Valorant, Sea of Thieves and Tarkov and wonder how effective Freesync will be given the locked overdrive. Will I notice the fact it might not be at the *ideal* level when fps rates fluctuate (e.g. overshoot/ghosting/input delay)?

SoT and Tarkov are both potentially quite bad offenders as my FPS will fluctuate from c. 100-230 and 75-150 respectively.

Am I better off going for something like the G-Sync AW2521H or is that mad overkill?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Freesync's static overdrive - will I notice the difference?

Post by Discorz » 10 May 2021, 01:15

stimulantz wrote:
06 May 2021, 21:40
Apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten half to death.

I'm in the market for a 24" 240hz 1080p monitor and have identified the VG259QM as a likely candidate (good for both productivity & gaming).

Freesync's static overdrive setting has me a bit worried, though. I play games like Valorant, Sea of Thieves and Tarkov and wonder how effective Freesync will be given the locked overdrive. Will I notice the fact it might not be at the *ideal* level when fps rates fluctuate (e.g. overshoot/ghosting/input delay)?

SoT and Tarkov are both potentially quite bad offenders as my FPS will fluctuate from c. 100-230 and 75-150 respectively.

Am I better off going for something like the G-Sync AW2521H or is that mad overkill?

Any advice very much appreciated.
Overdrive on VG259QM/VG279QM is locked only when ELMB SYNC is enabled. When disabled there are 10 levels of Overdrive you can choose between.
Did you plan to use ELMB SYNC?
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup