Screen tearing , in Leauge of legends.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
confusedgues

Screen tearing , in Leauge of legends.

Post by confusedgues » 09 May 2021, 11:49

Basically im baffled by this screen tearing issue i am having within leauge and hope maybe someone who knows more then me has some answers. So what happens is when i cap my fps at 144 on my 144hz monitor i get a crazy screen tear when moving my camera around the map , it is a line full length across my screen that can occur at center, bottom or top but its always screen wide and just one thinish line of tear that is extreamly noticlbe. However when i cap my fps at any other setting (120 , 200 , 240) i no longer have screen tearing. I just dont understand why in the world does the 144 cap cause this and the other caps do not? Ive tested many solutions but none seem to change the outcome. The only solution is to cap the fps under 144 and set up gsync correcntly, or over 144fps for it to no longer have the tear. However i see most pros use 144fps cap and i rember reading an aricle a long time ago that riot themsleves suggested to players to use the cap at 144fps for the best performance since the game doesnt handle higher fps to well. However i cant. The screen tearing is to distracting to handle but i also swear the game feels more responsive at the 144cap without gysnc compated tr 240 without or with gysnc and capped below 144.
For reference i have a 32gb ram , 2080ti and a 9700k i have no issues with computer hardware to run the game. My monitor is LG27GL850-B, a nvidia compatible gysnc 144hz monitor. When i correctly set up g-sync (copying the blur busters guide101) the game is smooth however i belive i can feel the input lag it causes what just feels off to me personaly , so id prefer to not cap under 144fps and use gysnc for this reason. I would just like it to be how it was back in the old days with my old asus 144hz monitor i never noticed any issue and that hardware wasnt close to this. Ive also tested this on my secondary 240hz monitor (Omen 25xf for referance) and what happens was the same relative to refrehrate, on 240fps cap the monitor teared , on anything below or above it did not.
I dont uderstnad why the screen would tear if i can get sold 144 frames? my only conclusion is something must be going on in the background in leauge that i dont know about? or something im missing?
For solutions ive tired; i tired disabling gysnc Fully , still teared at 144fps cap. raised or lowered the fps cap it no longer teared. I left gysnc on still teared when at 144fps solid however it would not tear below or above 144fps, the same as without gsync. So i tired getting a better DP cable , didnt do anything , i tried a HDMI cable , didnt do anything , i tired every ingame setting and reinstalling didnt do anything ,I tried getting my monitor drivers still nothing, i tried disabling full screen optimzations and allowing the aplication to overide high dpi scaling , still nothing. I disabled game bar and game mode still nothing. I fiddled with about every nvidia control panel settings to still no avali. So the only way i can have no screen tearing is to set my fps to a cap above the 144fps cap (200 or 240) or to enable gysnc and set it up properly and run the game under 144fp however both of these solutions just feel off and input laggy to me. The game feels best at the 144fps cap my clicks feel like the lowest input lag but this nasty tear when i move my camera around the map is just unbareable and i have no idea what is left to try or what im missing. Since i understand tearing is when the monitor is getting frames to fast, so surely if anything, it should tear blow or above the 144fps cap not dead on it? i just dont understand what im missing and any help would be much appriated. Apoligies for the mess of writing and length.

Also i tried borderless and window insead of fullscreen it still had the same issue.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Screen tearing , in Leauge of legends.

Post by RealNC » 10 May 2021, 10:06

For g-sync to work you need to cap a few FPS below the used refresh rate.

You should read the G-SYNC 101 articles here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... d-settings

There's 15 articles there, explaining everything you need to know in great detail.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.