Are there benefits to using a 240hz monitor over a 360hz monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nax_dv

Are there benefits to using a 240hz monitor over a 360hz monitor?

Post by nax_dv » 11 May 2021, 02:45

In valorant, I get 300-400+ fps. My friend insists that because I dont constantly get above 360fps, and there is no point using the 360hz monitor. He also claims that not constantly hitting 360 frames on a 360hz creates more input lag than if i were to be on a 240hz monitor instead.

I was under the assumption that higher refresh rate is always better in terms of system end-to-end latency even if you are not constantly above your refresh rate.

Chief, if you could chime in and set the record straight, it would be very much appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Are there benefits to using a 240hz monitor over a 360hz monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 May 2021, 03:33

nax_dv wrote:
11 May 2021, 02:45
Chief, if you could chime in and set the record straight, it would be very much appreciated.
Ready made article:

Are There Benefits To Frame Rate Above Refresh Rate?

The most important attributes are:

Lower input lag
Not all pixels are refreshed at the same time -- see high speed videos at www.blurbusters.com/scanout
It takes time to transmit a frame over the cable & display that frame on the monitor.
Even at only 100fps, a frame is displayed in 1/360sec on a 360Hz monitor, instead of 1/144sec on a 144Hz monitor.

Less Visible Tearing during VSYNC OFF if you are sensitive to tearing
Even at only 100fps, a tearline at 360Hz is displayed for only 1/360sec, while a tearline at 144Hz is displayed for 1/144sec.

That said, there ARE other benefits to using 240Hz over 360Hz. There are more choices of 240hz monitors, which has more features you want (e.g. wider color gamut, or more uniform GtG pixel response, or a better strobe backlight such as Blur Busters Approved one -- e.g. XG270 and XG2431).

For this reason, there are line-item reasons why 360Hz is superior over 240Hz even for low-framerate. And there are line-item reasons why certain 240Hz panels is superior to current 360Hz panels. Both you and your friend are right (but probably not for the reasons your friend might be assuming, since there are a lot of myths about this).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!